DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

What up, Gents?! Another day in paradise, right? Still no word on the job, however, I did email them with a follow up email this morning "...to inquire if you need any further information to help in the decision-making process." sounds fancy, no? I can really shmaltzh it up when I need to. I was basically saying, "HEY! I'm still here! Remember me?!" :teeth: I did get an email back saying that my email had been forwarded to the clerk of court, who makes the decision. So I'm hoping to hear something soon. So keep your fingers crossed!

UqbcYt2.jpg

Today, my oldest turns 18. I'm both happy and sad. I've tried to do my best as a dad, but I certainly don't feel that way today. She has decided she is moving out this weekend.

She is 18, and thus her right. She feels our rules are oppressive - clean her room, do her laundry, and help with the house (wash dishes, take out trash, etc). She's had a curfew because we have a city ordinance for minors, which she loses at 18. I've tried to explain that she will have these exact same responsibilities at her own place, plus the expenses of rent. So, it almost feels like I'm divorcing her today - titling the car in her name, her own insurance, and removing my name off parent/ child account. Later, I'll release the cell phone # to her and she can have her own account.

I don't know how she is going to afford this. She leaves with a paid for car, $2K my wife and I gave her in a savings account, and another $2500 she just received as an inheritance from her godmother. We won't release her 529 plan though. She is moving in with a female coworker and the coworker's boyfriend. She says they plan to split bills 3 ways. However, she's not signing a lease. I tend to plan for the worst and hope for the best. I'm sure they are doing this so the landlord won't raise the rent. But, she doesn't have any protections of tenancy and she doesn't know them very well. I'm concerned these people are using her for her money.

I've shared my concerns with her, but there's no convincing her. I really didn't want her to have to work as hard as I did. Sorry for the long post. Please include her in your prayers if possible.

Wow, I'm sorry, Norm. That's really hard. Feels like she's steering herself into a car crash there and there's nothing you can do but watch. I hope it works out ok for her. And you!

I'm back to work today. On day shift for 2 weeks. Fun. But, it pays the bill for now, so what can you do.

Hang in there, Jeff! Praying you can adjust to the new normal.

Drove back back home from DDCC 8 yesterday, took a little less thank 15 hours to do it. Have a Great time hanging with the Dads. Met some new brothers, made some more Best Friends and worked at the Give Kids The World Village. I've only done 8 DDCC's and am hoping to do more, they are a lot fun.

Welcome home, Randall!

Thanks guys. She's makes good money for a teenager living at home with the lifeguard job. She plans to go thru the hospital/ her employer who will pay for Technical College radiology 2 year certification program. I'm fine with that plan, as a 4 year college isn't for everyone. I'm just hoping this move doesn't derail the plan.

Norm, my prayers (and empathy) are with you...
I'm all too familiar with this...my youngest did this as soon as she graduated high school and she's still struggling what she wants to be when she grows up

As a parent, the hardest thing is caring more about their welfare than they care themselves

And, I just didn't want it to be as difficult for her as it was for me. At least she is starting out better financially and with better instruction.

Surprising, ice t didn't help much.

Sorry to hear this Norm. I can only imagine how rough it must be for you. My oldest will be 20 in a couple months. I'm grateful she has not talked about leaving the house until she has finished university and has a reliable way to support herself. But many her ago don't. A friend of hers moved out right after high school, living with her boyfriend, both working full time retail jobs they *think* will support them, and now she's pregnant at 19. I just can't understand why these kids would give themselves such a hard road in life. But I guess every situation is different.

I hope it somehow works out for you and your DD in the end.

Pregnancy? Grandfather? Good thing Ice T didn't deliver that message. My heart just stopped.

My 9 year old does 2 out of 3 of those, I don't think they are too harsh.

Sorry mate. All you can do is what you think is best for them. Like you say, she's gonna get to do all of that stuff and pay for the privilege of doing it. There's only one way I guess she's gonna find out that no one does you favours like your parents do.

All the best to you mate, and best of luck to her as she makes her own path. Manly hugs sent.

Right, not all that tough. I had to push mow my parents 3/4 acre lot as a teenager.

UqbcYt2.jpg

Wow, I'm sorry, Norm. That's really hard. Feels like she's steering herself into a car crash there and there's nothing you can do but watch. I hope it works out ok for her. And you!

Hang in there, Jeff! Praying you can adjust to the new normal.

Welcome home, Randall!

Thanks Mark. My youngest (15) quickly offered to give her our towels, sheets, and whatever else she needed to move out. Apparently, my youngest has been scheming to switch to the bigger bedroom and isn't having any problem with the move.

Today, my oldest turns 18. I'm both happy and sad. I've tried to do my best as a dad, but I certainly don't feel that way today. She has decided she is moving out this weekend.

She is 18, and thus her right. She feels our rules are oppressive - clean her room, do her laundry, and help with the house (wash dishes, take out trash, etc). She's had a curfew because we have a city ordinance for minors, which she loses at 18. I've tried to explain that she will have these exact same responsibilities at her own place, plus the expenses of rent. So, it almost feels like I'm divorcing her today - titling the car in her name, her own insurance, and removing my name off parent/ child account. Later, I'll release the cell phone # to her and she can have her own account.

I don't know how she is going to afford this. She leaves with a paid for car, $2K my wife and I gave her in a savings account, and another $2500 she just received as an inheritance from her godmother. We won't release her 529 plan though. She is moving in with a female coworker and the coworker's boyfriend. She says they plan to split bills 3 ways. However, she's not signing a lease. I tend to plan for the worst and hope for the best. I'm sure they are doing this so the landlord won't raise the rent. But, she doesn't have any protections of tenancy and she doesn't know them very well. I'm concerned these people are using her for her money.

I've shared my concerns with her, but there's no convincing her. I really didn't want her to have to work as hard as I did. Sorry for the long post. Please include her in your prayers if possible.
Sorry to hear about this Norm. Not sure where the thinking is on her part as like you referenced she's gonna have to do the same things she does at home and get the honor of also footing the bill. Apparently Gus Gus and Jaq are gonna show up at night and take care of things. You're a good man as I'm not so sure I would transfer the vehicle title like that. I hope she is not being played by her new "roommates" and that she is in a safe environment. Unfortunately she is not recognizing all that you and DW have done for her and that you have been the best you can be. Prayers that she wakes up to a large dose of reality and realizes she's not ready for any of this. We are here for you brother!
Hey guys, I've been out of it for a little while. I hope all was generally OK over the last couple weeks. I'm sure those who were at DDCC8 had a good time. I saw some of the updates on FB. I keep saying one of these days I will go to DDCC.

If you remember, I started my new job in December and I worked 23 days straight of 12 hours shifts, 9 days of training/overlap and 14 night shifts. All that during the holidays. Needless to day I was pretty exhausted but finally got a week off last week. I had a pretty big to-do list, most of which was de-Christmas-ing the house (tree, lights) and just trying to tidy the place up.

I finally had the chance to see Rise of Skywalker Monday afternoon. It was almost a private IMAX show, but another couple walked in right before it started. I thought the movie was good. A couple plot points I thought were odd, but overall I enjoyed it.

I'm back to work today. On day shift for 2 weeks. Fun. But, it pays the bill for now, so what can you do.
Positive and thoughts and pixie dust your way that you get through the tough work situation. You're a good husband and Dad, doing what you need to to support the family. Keep hoping to read that you got switched back to days so with that, I'll keep the positive thoughts that we get that we get to read that real soon.

I went to pick the kids up and thought it would be nice if the 3 of us went to the Italian on the way home, as Lady K is working late. G comes out from after school club in his gym shorts and school shoes, grey socks and his school shirt. Apparently one of his mates dared him to chug his entire water bottle and it went all over him.

So tonights dinner is now brought to me by the toaster.

If he does a gap year in the US, please DM me addresses so you can pick him up out of hospital or jail.

What a fr!ggin dum dum.

That's pretty rough, my friend, so prayers that things go well.

I went to pick the kids up and thought it would be nice if the 3 of us went to the Italian on the way home, as Lady K is working late. G comes out from after school club in his gym shorts and school shoes, grey socks and his school shirt. Apparently one of his mates dared him to chug his entire water bottle and it went all over him.

If he does a gap year in the US, please DM me addresses so you can pick him up out of hospital or jail.

What a fr!ggin dum dum.
"DM me addresses" ? Did you mean PM - looks like the apple may not have fallen far from that tree :rolleyes1

Sorry to hear about this Norm. Not sure where the thinking is on her part as like you referenced she's gonna have to do the same things she does at home and get the honor of also footing the bill. Apparently Gus Gus and Jaq are gonna show up at night and take care of things. You're a good man as I'm not so sure I would transfer the vehicle title like that. I hope she is not being played by her new "roommates" and that she is in a safe environment. Unfortunately she is not recognizing all that you and DW have done for her and that you have been the best you can be. Prayers that she wakes up to a large dose of reality and realizes she's not ready for any of this. We are here for you brother!

Positive and thoughts and pixie dust your way that you get through the tough work situation. You're a good husband and Dad, doing what you need to to support the family. Keep hoping to read that you got switched back to days so with that, I'll keep the positive thoughts that we get that we get to read that real soon.

I did hesitate about the vehicle, but that was always my intent. And, it's my plan with my younger one. I knew where I stood at age 18, and I wanted to make they sure they both had an even better start.

Morning Guys.

Been a bit under the weather, stayed home yesterday and barely left my bed. Bit better today but still not 100%. DW told me to not be sick for the cruise so I better get it all out now. ;)

Norm I hope everything works out. I know I was not looking forward to DS leaving for school and when he didn't it was a big relief. Believe that you raised her right and she will make good decisions.

Welcome back Randall, Mike, Doc and I think Rob should be along soon. It was great following along with all your shenanigans, hope I can get back for one of the next two.

Have a good one all.

Morning, Gents. Another day, another dollar.

I did hesitate about the vehicle, but that was always my intent. And, it's my plan with my younger one. I knew where I stood at age 18, and I wanted to make they sure they both had an even better start.

That's cool that you not only do that, but think the way you do. It's every parent, I would hope, to have their kids in a better position than they are/were when they started out.

Morning Guys.
Been a bit under the weather, stayed home yesterday and barely left my bed. Bit better today but still not 100%. DW told me to not be sick for the cruise so I better get it all out now. ;)

Hope you feel better.

Morning gents.
Making a pot roast today in the slow cooker and bringing it over to my folks' place. Been meaning to do this for about 2 years now.
Interesting.....

Is the nationality of the food based on your nationality or your geography? I think this is an important question we need to resolve. So as a Canadian, do you eat Chinese food in EPCOT and also China? Or do you eat Chinese food in EPCOT and food in China?
Let me put it this way...

If I'm in Germany in Epcot, I'll say "I had German food. Bratwurst and Sauerkraut and Schnitzel..."

But if I'm in Germany (the country)… I'll just say I had food. Which is Bratwurst and Sauerkraut and Schnitzel... but probably more Torte.
Like going to Greece and saying, "Well, it's all Greek to me!" Said that to a Greek girlfriend I had back in college. She just looked at me with that look, like "Really?" 😆
:laughing:
Classic.
Still no word on the job, however, I did email them with a follow up email this morning "...to inquire if you need any further information to help in the decision-making process." sounds fancy, no?
Hopefully you'll hear something... eventually?
So keep your fingers crossed!
crossed!
Today, my oldest turns 18. I'm both happy and sad.
I remember that day...
She has decided she is moving out this weekend.
:eek:
She is 18, and thus her right. She feels our rules are oppressive - clean her room, do her laundry, and help with the house (wash dishes, take out trash, etc).
:sad2:
This gets me. My DDs aren't too fond of doing chores and "can't wait to move out"... where they'll quickly find out that they have way more chores to do than they ever did living at home.
I don't know how she is going to afford this. She leaves with a paid for car, $2K my wife and I gave her in a savings account, and another $2500 she just received as an inheritance from her godmother
That helps but... it will also get eaten up pretty quickly.
We won't release her 529 plan though.
This is an education saving plan of some sort?
If you remember, I started my new job in December and I worked 23 days straight of 12 hours shifts, 9 days of training/overlap and 14 night shifts. All that during the holidays. Needless to day I was pretty exhausted but finally got a week off last week.
Exhausted may be an understatement...
I finally had the chance to see Rise of Skywalker Monday afternoon. It was almost a private IMAX show, but another couple walked in right before it started. I thought the movie was good. A couple plot points I thought were odd, but overall I enjoyed it.
Will be seeing it tonight, finally. Looking forward to it!
Been a bit under the weather, stayed home yesterday and barely left my bed. Bit better today but still not 100%.
Feel better soon!
DW told me to not be sick for the cruise so I better get it all out now. ;)

Top O the Mornin Dads! Not much to report on just looking forward to the weekend to finish taking down outside decorations, hanging a bit with DW and some football.
Darcy hope you get better before the cruise.
Norm - hang in there
Randall - took you long enough to get home, dang that's a long drive
Rob - Enjoy the 8 or so days you have left down at DaWorld
And for anybody I missed Dole Whips, Mickey Bars, Bacon and Bourbon for all

Top O the Mornin Dads! Not much to report on just looking forward to the weekend to finish taking down outside decorations, hanging a bit with DW and some football.
Norm - hang in there

I've got 44 or 45 days so I think I'll be good.

Thanks for all the support guys. I won't continue to post my thought of impending doom and gloom. Hopefully, I will be able to share some positive stuff in the future.

On the good news side, booked airfare for our July trip. And don't you know it, i had to add an extra day on at WDW. So, we are there now for 12 days/ 11 nights. Of course, two of those days are partial with flights, but we are getting those money saving APs and ready to save money. How will those APs work? We arrive July. Will the APs expire July 31, 2021? Or, thr specific day we activate them in July.

Morning Guys.

Norm I hope everything works out. I know I was not looking forward to DS leaving for school and when he didn't it was a big relief. Believe that you raised her right and she will make good decisions.

Welcome back Randall, Mike, Doc and I think Rob should be along soon. It was great following along with all your shenanigans, hope I can get back for one of the next two.

Have a good one all.

Thanks Darcy. That's all I got now.

Morning gents.
Making a pot roast today in the slow cooker and bringing it over to my folks' place. Been meaning to do this for about 2 years now.

Let me put it this way...

If I'm in Germany in Epcot, I'll say "I had German food. Bratwurst and Sauerkraut and Schnitzel..."

But if I'm in Germany (the country)… I'll just say I had food. Which is Bratwurst and Sauerkraut and Schnitzel... but probably more Torte.

Classic.

Hopefully you'll hear something... eventually?

crossed!

I remember that day...

:eek:

:sad2:
This gets me. My DDs aren't too fond of doing chores and "can't wait to move out"... where they'll quickly find out that they have way more chores to do than they ever did living at home.

That helps but... it will also get eaten up pretty quickly.

This is an education saving plan of some sort?

Exhausted may be an understatement...

Will be seeing it tonight, finally. Looking forward to it!

Feel better soon!

Yes, a 529 plan here is a tax deferred account with no taxes for funds withdrawn for educational purposes. So, if she does the technical school thing, we just pay them the money. It's also transferrable to a sibling.

Norm - hang in there

Thanks Mike. The bourbon seems to be running low after the past few days. I know where to get some more.

Howdy! I am popping in for my semi-annual appearance on the boards - kind of like a semi-annual Groundhog Day. :teeth:

I hope everything works out OK for her, Norm. My son goes to college in Houston (about a 4 hour drive away) and after being gone for a semester, he has come to realize how good he had it at home. But once he gets his degree (Bio Medical Engineering) and hopefully a decent job, he will be able to live a bit more comfortably. But dorm life is a rite of passage. :D

We can tell the kids things over and over, but sometimes they have to live and learn to get the message. I am sure she will be fine - or be back with her tail between her legs if it doesn't work out. :-)

On the good news side, booked airfare for our July trip. And don't you know it, i had to add an extra day on at WDW. So, we are there now for 12 days/ 11 nights. Of course, two of those days are partial with flights, but we are getting those money saving APs and ready to save money. How will those APs work? We arrive July. Will the APs expire July 31, 2021? Or, the specific day we activate them in July.

The APs will expire exactly one year from the date of first activation. It sounds like it should be a great vacation! Where are you staying?
DW and I are upgrading our park tickets we are getting for DD's Summit trip in May to APs, since we will be heading back to The World in late June. It was a no-brainer, considering the DVC discount for Gold APs.

Howdy! I am popping in for my semi-annual appearance on the boards - kind of like a semi-annual Groundhog Day. :teeth:

I hope everything works out OK for her, Norm. My son goes to college in Houston (about a 4 hour drive away) and after being gone for a semester, he has come to realize how good he had it at home. But once he gets his degree (Bio Medical Engineering) and hopefully a decent job, he will be able to live a bit more comfortably. But dorm life is a rite of passage. :D

We can tell the kids things over and over, but sometimes they have to live and learn to get the message. I am sure she will be fine - or be back with her tail between her legs if it doesn't work out. :-)

The APs will expire exactly one year from the date of first activation. It sounds like it should be a great vacation! Where are you staying?
DW and I are upgrading our park tickets we are getting for DD's Summit trip in May to APs, since we will be heading back to The World in late June. It was a no-brainer, considering the DVC discount for Gold APs.
:wave:

went to pick the kids up and thought it would be nice if the 3 of us went to the Italian on the way home, as Lady K is working late. G comes out from after school club in his gym shorts and school shoes, grey socks and his school shirt. Apparently one of his mates dared him to chug his entire water bottle and it went all over him.

What a fr!ggin dum dum.

:rotfl: Sounds like a Triple Dog Dare if I ever heard one.

Keep up that load management!

I hope you haven't been holding onto the pot roast for 2 years. :crazy2:

My DDs aren't too fond of doing chores and "can't wait to move out"... where they'll quickly find out that they have way more chores to do than they ever did living at home.

This. ::yes::

Hi John! :wave2:

Goood to hear from you. Sounds like all is good with you and yours, Cheers!
That might be a bit of "you say toe may toe. I say toe mar toe" mate, DM over here means direct message, i.e. not on a forum.
OK you got me on that one................. And to think a couple of us were talking about what a blast you would likely be at a DDCC, never mind 8-)

Goood to hear from you. Sounds like all is good with you and yours, Cheers!

OK you got me on that one................. And to think a couple of us were talking about what a blast you would likely be at a DDCC, never mind 8-)
Ah, you know I love ya Mikey.
When i do get my British bottom over there in a January, I'll bring my google translate.
It was pretty close this year, i had the visit to Legoland FL agreed and then the gaffer pulled the budget.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter