DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Morning all. Anyone trying for the SW Half weekend tomorrow ?
:welcome: WELCOME TO THE DISDAD'S CLUB MadScouser! :welcome:

You have been added to The Official DISDad Members List on Page 1, Posts 8 & 9!:thumbsup2

Your Official Member Number is #402!

To see where else you can find the DISDads on the internet, please check out Post 3 on Page One!

If you would like anything added to Page One about yourself, please send me a PM. FYI, I do not add anything to page one about you without your permission.​

Afternoon gents from a Sunny Blighty. Lots of bricky stuff today. Back out on the road as Ponzie and Darcy have been so disciplined, so 2 x 5k and 1 x 10k since Saturday.

Better than me this week. I was suppose to run this morning but the bed sheets wouldn't let me go. Glad I didn't though, 100% humidity at 7 a.m.

Morning all. Looks to be not a bad day. Not working today, so... that's why it's not a bad day.
Good news is I got offered the job and they wanted me to start August 19. I told then I couldn't start until after retirement, so I'll start up after labor day.
Hey, that's great! Congrats!
Bad news is that FIL and DW still have not returned. In texting with DW, they have no idea what it is, but send him home and hope someone figures it out.
Not good, but...
But on the up side, they've decided that it's time for everyone to head back into the office with a whole lot of safety protocols added on top to just get into the building. Working from home was certainly nice while it lasted, but I got'a tell ya' - I'm gonn'a miss what was far and away the single best working environment I've have in the last forty years.
All good things...?
Now, the doctors concluded that since he retired from swing shifts and slept on a normal schedule, his blood returned to normal.
... but... glad they seem to have figured out the issue.
And for a shift worker like me... that's a very interesting bit of info.
Medicine that kept him alive was the the medicine killing him.
That's pretty crazy.
Thanks. Can you send those two for a house call?
:laughing:

And... me too!
The paralegal I'm supposed to be shadowing has pretty much decided that outside of me helping her draft deeds and power of attorney docs, that's all she's going to show me, so another paralegal has taken it upon herself to show me how to do all the other stuff that we're supposed to do, like enter title information and how to file/register properties. I'm annoyed that it has to be this way, because I'm not getting to work on files that will eventually be mine, but at least I'm finally getting to learn something other than drafting documents.
But you are getting the training, so that's good, if not the optimal way for it to happen.
We had 4 different tornadoes touch down in Delaware. Lots of trees down and houses damaged.
Yikes!
went home to a house without power and had to get the generator up and running in order to keep the food cold and the sump pump working. We'd bought it after Hurricane Sandy left an inch of water in our basement and hadn't used it since. But I was glad we had it last night.
I really need to do that. I have no idea how to connect it to anything, but I would like to at least plug the sump pump into it. Some spoiled food I can live with, a flooded basement would be... not so good.
On a different note, I was thinking about the conversation about splashdown and private boats....
Even if they hadn't announced it, there are enough boats out in the ocean fishing and those may have simply been the ones who were able to see it coming down. Even with it being announced "off the coast" is a large area. The only other thing I can think of is they saw the boat going out of port and followed.
Ah! I have no idea, but sounds plausible.
Back out on the road as Ponzie and Darcy have been so disciplined, so 2 x 5k and 1 x 10k since Saturday.
Not so much. I didn't run last two days, but have done a 5K, 3K and today my first 6K so far this month.
So Lisa could make a cup of tea and a sandwich while you "attend" to Jen twice? Well played brother.
Nope.
I wouldn't toss Lisa out of the bed for eating crackers. She may play a ditzy blonde on Friends, but... you'd say no to this?

I had perhaps the last video conference meeting with the job I'm retiring from.
Woot!

Good to have. We bought a new one this year...larger than what we had. Good thing is the new house has a transfer switch so I can plug it in directly and has enough to power a couple rooms as well as the water pump. May be investing in a whole house generator next year.

That would be pretty sweet. It would have been nice to have the A/C last night.

The track moved further north to miss up completely. Was chatting with another of the dads in Connecticut and they'be been without power for 20 hours or so.

We have several areas without power as well. Trees down everywhere, some houses took a lot of damage. We had a bit of damage to the roof--lost a few shingles. I guess I need to get that looked at now.

Wow. Scary stuff. Look after yourself mate, you promised me a beer if I ever hit DE. And it would be an awful shame to miss out on that. Wasting free beer is a sin.

Truth. Don't worry, I think we came out of it just fine. We did lose a deck umbrella, though.

So Lisa could make a cup of tea and a sandwich while you "attend" to Jen twice? Well played brother.

:rolleyes1

Not gonna lie, I don't even remember what this was in response to. :rotfl2:

Between me and the Lady K, its been about a 10,000 pay rise due to the lack of train fare, lunch, after work jollies etc. That pays for Disney.

Not too shabby at all.

Just a reminder how glad I am to escape the madness of denying me a raise only to pay two staff salary and benefits. Government work at its finest.

gjTYptqLBnXbwvPFPGki4SQi7KikrfeOc8fxtu1-ki9DXrZ7GKxEk1ofZeh6ZlqAlJq1RDKQ4OZ5U1XNH17fNLA-ObinmSCDKFaNdNs3CWjEO3Sk4sZlJYM4qJf1TduU8FuQJl59Fp5QHz-ofQjD8wGD7aUHXstYG4Q2g7BPa0_oWxc0TAhRvH6sYfOVxi58s3rTse8BJuuv-tQe6t9tPmmoxCNDlg_4UELEr1k1npafxxxzH1x4XWgsVks5qStUejy-i4N3vc8Tg8pik-LYjUGdRFg7zQDvg3Ta9aA8FUjf1OkkLM-8c_brVDBINbkhtfeLNd10w1n-sl_2aJeVbjfcCQSnjaqV09MyKS9UT-5FbA-sz5DzTGJdqQ3fdAXvu65jJQ9bSnp0g1dtWcYiJuV7_F-Gtq6rxKfozsFdZJi5XpQd9Z9jz45KAS-7Ok7wrJbWRdQuTwUiIJXAb_l3u3iFn_QhATfXeuCIr_DKQewUfrGFb4X37yy1gijTCZ2q3QA1ktIX6q-lk7EMFwxyNLuggPwgH47iDP6yxzX_Cl_jcX81KRi1RCGkTsVadB7YQ2qH2HWQ6AQNOtY0svG8hcIJdwjaCICiEoBwUk421HmASceF20XF91JdSqzZHKt2KzGj7ZjJoLBZwFey599XbNPBHTjzKeyaqbddJV6GfvK6yDvHIM5__iiUW_Zm=w350-h197-no

Glad to hear you survived the storm. I remember bailing water up the stairs when the power went out at my parents house. You don't miss a sump pump until it stops working.

Yeah, we had a long day like that once, too. That made me appreciate having a generator, too.

100% humidity at 7 a.m.
Mumma lover, that is nasty. This is what bothers the bejeezus out of me for the Florida marathon.
She may play a ditzy blonde on Friends, but... you'd say no to this?
If Jen was waiting buddy, I'd say no to pretty much anything. Lottery, Breathing, Eternal salvation......

I really need to do that. I have no idea how to connect it to anything, but I would like to at least plug the sump pump into it. Some spoiled food I can live with, a flooded basement would be... not so good.

One flooded basement was enough for me to make the investment. Although it was a bit of a blessing in disguise--we threw away a lot of stuff that we really didn't need to be storing down there in the first place.

Mumma lover, that is nasty. This is what bothers the bejeezus out of me for the Florida marathon.

If Jen was waiting buddy, I'd say no to pretty much anything. Lottery, Breathing, Eternal salvation......
I see your point... so please put it back in your pants.
we threw away a lot of stuff that we really didn't need to be storing down there in the first place.
How does one arrange to have a flood?

Asking for a friend.

:rolleyes1

Sorry to hear that. I was thinking a lot of companies might permanently shift to the work-from-home model. Certainly a lot less overheard that way.
Agreed, but then there are those managers that need to be able to directly lord over their subjects.

But in the current overlords defense, they just took out a lease on a new office space for our operation (we actually moved in the middle of the lock down), so having done so they sort'a need to make use of the investment.

Wish they'd change their minds though ('cause I hate the new digs).

I was in the office till 8 p.m. coordinating repairs and then went home to a house without power and had to get the generator up and running in order to keep the food cold and the sump pump working.
Long day...
We still haven't invested in a generator as of yet. I probable need to reevaluate that choice given the steady rise in storm severity over time. Probably should look into installing a transfer switch like Doc has while I'm at it.

I was expecting a double entendre in here some reason.
Sorry to let you down there, but I suspect that my attempts at entendre would be but a pale shadow of the work I've seen you crank out.

I think I'm good for just one day a week in the office until at least January.
<<envy, envy, envy>>>

Just a reminder how glad I am to escape the madness of denying me a raise only to pay two staff salary and benefits.
That is rather bass-ackwards...
My overlords are more Wall Street oriented. They've been combining more and more jobs into fewer and fewer people without any additional compensation for years.

I ain't see a positive adjustment in 12 of them there years.
You'd think I'd have given up by now.

I didn't know you had a place on the coast. I could have parked the camper there years ago.
Welllllll...
There's a bit of a catch to that.
Two actually.

First, it was my in-laws place originally, but the daughters have recently inherited the place so I - myself am only an "owner" by default.

Next problem is that "we" actually only own 1/13 of the property. There are that many different owners and we run it kind'a like a private time-share. Every group is guaranteed one week per quarter on a rotating calendar so every one eventually has access to the various holidays and time frames. The down side for you is that while I'd be happy to have you park the RV out front, you'd only be able to leave it there one week out of every thirteen.

I was suppose to run this morning but the bed sheets wouldn't let me go.
I need to try that excuse on the employers.
Pretty sure they'd accept that one right off.

All good things...?
There are but few if any exceptions to that maxim.

It would have been nice to have the A/C last night.
No doubt...
We lost power for a couple of days after a storm a month or two back and then had the A/C system completely fail a couple weeks ago. Long nights those were. At least when the A/C failed, we still had power and were able to break out the fans, so that was a bit more tolerable.

We did lose a deck umbrella, though.
Oh the humanity...

[using the Les Nessman version of the quote in this instance]

One flooded basement was enough for me to make the investment. Although it was a bit of a blessing in disguise--we threw away a lot of stuff that we really didn't need to be storing down there in the first place.
I like the sound of that.
Problem is, we don't have a basement and all the stuff we ought to git rid of is in the attic. Don't think a flood of that magnitude would be very gentle on the rest of the house.

How does one arrange to have a flood?

Asking for a friend.
Install a hot tub near some access point to said basement.
Then while filling it up, inadvertently have the hose kind'a flop out and just happen to land where the water heads directly downstairs.

Hay, it could happen to anyone.

Hey, Gents! Well, we are on the downhill slide to the weekend! Woohoo! Can't wait, though my next week will mean that the one paralegal who's been training me will be on vacation, good for her, but bad for me because I won't know what the week will bring. Maybe the paralegal I'll be replacing will finally step up and go over some of her closings with me so I can get a sense of what's going on. Either way I'm going to ask her so I'll know what's going on. Thankfully my attorney/boss is very nice and remembers what it was like when she first got into the business of real estate, so she's been a blessing to have around. I got to work on my first Purchase and Sales Agreement yesterday. My boss wanted me to work on it and to read through it so I could get an understanding of the language and the deal. Boy, that's a document that'll put you to sleep real quick. 😆 Things are going well at work, so no complaints there. Have a great day, gents, and we'll chat on the other side.

TTFN

'Morning all...
I'm still trying to get re-use to having to get up earlier to be able to start work later.

That storm stayed on the cost down here so we saw none of it which is good. Still waiting to hear about any possible damage to our place down on the waters edge though, but we'll see how that shakes out. It made more of a mess in NE-NC and the Mid-Atlantic. Hope all y'all up that way are good.

Glad you didn't get hit with the storm.

It's the folks in the trenches that do the work.
Glad you came across someone to help show you the ropes.
Oh, and congrats on the new vocation.
Glad you're getting to do something different.

I'm lucky in getting this job because everyone at work is so nice. I spend the afternoon with the receptionist, and she showed me how to open cases and then took me down to the archives...so very nice people.

I'm sure they're all busy and want to get their own work done. But good on the other paralegal who's helping you out.

I'm very lucky.

Morning all. In the midst of all the happenings from yesterday, I had perhaps the last video conference meeting with the job I'm retiring from. A couple of bosses were on as well, and the two people replacing me going forward were on there. Just a reminder how glad I am to escape the madness of denying me a raise only to pay two staff salary and benefits. Government work at its finest.

Glad you're getting out.

As for the office working at home, that's a real cost saver for business. I'm guessing the reason they aren't doing it is because they own or have signed leases in their current space?

I suspect that, with certain businesses at least, we might see more people working from home. I know people who work more from home than they would at work.

Sadly, in government, we've had people sitting at home for 5 months now not doing at work. Well, they email each other and skype, but none of the essential job functions. At what point do people realize all these job positions aren't needed in both the private and public sector?

Don't think that'll ever happen in the public sector, too many cushy jobs with too many connected people.

Morning all. Looks to be not a bad day. Not working today, so... that's why it's not a bad day.

Any day not working is a good day. Enjoy

But you are getting the training, so that's good, if not the optimal way for it to happen.

Exactly! And I've learned a lot in the last few days being trained by the other paralegals in the office. They took a chance on me, and I'm not going to screw this up, so I'm working hard to catch on quickly.

Not so much. I didn't run last two days, but have done a 5K, 3K and today my first 6K so far this month.

That's awesome! We just got a new treadmill for the basement, still need to put it together, so I'm hoping to put it to use once I get it put together.

I wouldn't toss Lisa out of the bed for eating crackers. She may play a ditzy blonde on Friends, but... you'd say no to this?
View attachment 516006

View attachment 516007

View attachment 516008

I wouldn't say no.

I had a generator, but I have to get it started when the power goes out. I've been wanting a full-house generator for a few years now, but at about $6,000 to $7,000 I just can't afford it. I'll pull out my gas powered generator instead.

Agreed, but then there are those managers that need to be able to directly lord over their subjects.

But in the current overlords defense, they just took out a lease on a new office space for our operation (we actually moved in the middle of the lock down), so having done so they sort'a need to make use of the investment.

Wish they'd change their minds though ('cause I hate the new digs).

I've worked for a few of those overlords in my days...hate those kinds of managers.

Work keeping me busy the last few days, but I don't want to complain about money in the bank these days.

The missus and I had our 14th anniversary yesterday.
Of course I was working night shift, and she was scheduled to work that day at the store.
So we shared a romantic bowl of cereal in the morning. I purposely woke up early after sleeping all day, our intention was to go out for dinner, there was just enough time after her shift and before mine started. Unfortunately there was a bad traffic accident right at the entrance to my neighbourhood (sad actually, one person died and the other is in critical condition), so with the traffic backed up we didn't attempt to leave the house, but considering the reason, I am happy everyone was home safe and sound.
We ended up having a quick hamburger that I slapped on the grill. So much for romance.
But who am I kidding, I've been married 14 years, the only thing "quickie" and "slapped" would be describing are the burgers...

Help me out Jeff, this one has schoolboy humour written all over it
@Terra Nova guy
Dang it, I missed that one and I think the statute of limitations is up on it.
Although if I wasn't at the end of a night shift I may be more p to the task.

And my province, Manitoba: Terry Fox Day
A worthy reason for the day.

Happy Generic Canadian Holiday!
Hey, any excuse for a day off. We're not picky.

Good news is I got offered the job and they wanted me to start August 19. I told then I couldn't start until after retirement, so I'll start up after labor day
Belated congratulations.

We had a bit of damage to the roof--lost a few shingles. I guess I need to get that looked at now.
Sorry to hear about the roof, but I guess it could have been worse.

Morning All,

beautiful morning here, even got in a run with a comfortable temperature.

Great time to be a sports junkie with a tv in the office. Lots of live sports during the day, even on weekdays. Right now I have Formula E on from Berlin. Racing electric cars is a different thing to watch. Hockey and basketball coming up.

Have a good one all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter