DDP cost

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Trying to figure out the actual DDP cost . On my next trip, I'm staying 6 nights, 7 days. So is the amount $75X6 or X7? Frankly, I'm thinking of loading the amount on a gift card, then using it for my meals and any other food purchase, so I can compare the cost of OOP vs. DDP. Just wondering, has anyone done this?

It's per night, not day.

We will be doing a visa gift card on our next trip instead of the dining plan. We've had the dining plan the past three trips but this previous trip, the plan only saved us about $3. In the past, we usually saved at least around $200.

We actually lost money the time we did the dining plan (about 8 years ago). Then each trip after we did the calculations and we would have lost hundreds (many) of dollars if we would have bought the dining plan. They change the amount of the plan depending on the time of year/event. Either way it is not worth it for us. Just use the lower amount and see what happens. I bet you will come out ahead. There were days we didn't want to order the most expensive item on the menu - but you need to on the dining plan.

We actually lost money the time we did the dining plan (about 8 years ago). Then each trip after we did the calculations and we would have lost hundreds (many) of dollars if we would have bought the dining plan. They change the amount of the plan depending on the time of year/event. Either way it is not worth it for us. Just use the lower amount and see what happens. I bet you will come out ahead. There were days we didn't want to order the most expensive item on the menu - but you need to on the dining plan.
It really is true that the dining plan isn’t for everyone. Sounds like it’s not the right fit for your traveling party. However- it’s not correct that the price of the dining plan changes based upon the time of year or event. Dining plan prices are set by the calendar year. You also don’t need to order the most expensive item on the menu - that’s a choice.

They do change the cost of some dining events and buffets based on events/time of year, but the ddp price is set for one year and doesn’t change.

They change the amount of the plan depending on the time of year/event.

Dining plan prices are set by the calendar year.

Actually, it isn't set for any said amount of time. Disney has raised the price of the plan mid-year, and one year they raised it twice. However, once they raise it, it doesn't come back down, so the other poster's assertion that they raise it for certain events (and then lower it back) is not true as well.

You also don’t need to order the most expensive item on the menu - that’s a choice.

The dining plan definitely doesn't work for us. We don't eat desserts with every meal. We also don't drink sodas so the refillable mugs are a waste for us. If the dining plan is costing about $75 and you order a dish that is less than $30 (which I know is hard to do at Disney), you will be losing money. That is all I meant. Plus people use TS credits at Breakfast and I know then they are really losing money. I feel Disney should make the dining plan save people more money since they are paying all that money in advance.

Actually, it isn't set for any said amount of time. Disney has raised the price of the plan mid-year, and one year they raised it twice. However, once they raise it, it doesn't come back down, so the other poster's assertion that they raise it for certain events (and then lower it back) is not true as well.
Just like the hotel rates now.

There has been at least one instance where Disney reduced the price of a dining plan. In 2016, the DxDP was $111.73 per day for adults, and in 2017 the price dropped to $103.57.

There has been at least one instance where Disney reduced the price of a dining plan. In 2016, the DxDP was $111.73 per day for adults, and in 2017 the price dropped to $103.57.

True, but it wasn't a "seasonal" raise and then lower back down. Never did really figure that one out. Both the other plans went up, but that one came down.

Wow, I believe you, but am in shock they did that.

I think there are a couple of big things that determine whether or not the dining plan is worth it for you. Will the over 21 adults use the alcoholic beverage allotment at meals? Are you planning on doing a lot of character dining? And when character dining is coupled with having kids 9 and under then it really can work in your favor. If the answer is no to all of those then it most likely won’t likely be the best fit for you.

Really must look at all of the menus of the restaurants you intend to dine at. Then choose the likely items you will order. Add in drinks and snacks per dining plan then add tax and total for your stay to compare with dining plan cost. I did this for our upcoming trip and assumed all non-alcoholic drinks. Would save us about $100/pp for our 9 day trip. If the adults in our group drank some alcoholic beverages we could potentially save more.

Even if you'll just break even I find the dining plan worth it. You can budget ahead of time for your trip and then not worry about spending too much while at WDW. For those that won't order the more expensive entree's at least some of the time the dining plan may end up costing too much.

We've taken teen girls who many days would only snack for lunch or share one lunch. That left a few extra quick service credits. My wife and I made use of those for a few breakfasts which worked out great.

What we always do is this - if we are staying 7 nights, we only book a 6 night package with dining. Then for the last night we book a room only. Otherwise, on your check out day unless you have time before your flight to eat 2 meals plus snacks it doesn't make sense. Our arrival flights are normally in the morning so we always arrive in the evenings and by the time we arrive its so late that we just grab QS and then use the 6 table service credits over the course of the night 6 days. Our return flights are also in the morning so it doesnt make sense to have a full day of meals/snacks from the previous night. This has worked out perfectly for us and has saved us loads of money. Also, in 10 years of going to Disney, they has always allowed us to stay in the same room for the last night with the room only reservation.

Otherwise, on your check out day unless you have time before your flight to eat 2 meals plus snacks it doesn't make sense.

I would imagine that most folks would't be saving all their meal credits for that last day....they'd use them before that on a signature, or use two in one day, etc...

I would imagine that most folks would't be saving all their meal credits for that last day....they'd use them before that on a signature, or use two in one day, etc...
Well signatures are usually a waste on the DDP.....the OP was looking for strategies to maximize the value. And for us this worked so I was just making a suggestion.
Most people on the DDP would be scrambling to use all those credits. We can’t eat food all day and don’t want two table service in one day. Most people I think agree with me.

We have been going back and forth with this same thing every single trip. We were going to do a gift card this coming trip and try that out for once but we decided to just do the Dining Plan again on this visit again after putting stuff into the calculator and coming out a little bit ahead. Now after all is said and done will probably lose because we won't order the most expensive menu item and we might not get a specialty drink at every meal we are having but for us it boils down to making ourselves eat while we are there and also not obsessing over spending when we are there because our dining plan will be paid in full.

When we go to other theme parks we say we will buy something at the park to eat and we never do. We are influenced by the price of the items and the long lines and the want to keep going on rides. We find ourselves starving by the time we get in the car. This trip we are staying at three different resorts on four reservations as we have a cruise in the middle of our trip and we added a day at the beginning and one at the end. So for this trip we decided to do a cheap meal the first day. Second day we are doing the DDP which will be for two nights and then when we get back we will be doing the DxDDP for Three days. The extra day added at the end we will be using the last of our credits by midnight and fly out the next morning.

We like the DxDDP because we like to sample the apps and see if we like it and if we don't its no big deal for us. We will have 9 total credits and over the 4 days we only have to eat three meals one day and we have breakfast at 7:30 AM and lunch at 1:30 and dinner at 9 PM. We feel that is spread out enough to ok and the places we choose are not very heavy food places. So we will see how we like this approach so going forward we can make the best decision for us.

Bottom line is you have to make the right decision for YOU because you will get people on here that our against the DDP and people who love it. For us it works best on honestly I am not going to kill myself stressing over if I paid too much.

Trying to figure out the actual DDP cost . On my next trip, I'm staying 6 nights, 7 days. So is the amount $75X6 or X7? Frankly, I'm thinking of loading the amount on a gift card, then using it for my meals and any other food purchase, so I can compare the cost of OOP vs. DDP. Just wondering, has anyone done this?

We have not done the gift card thing, just because we have had free dining on each trip so far. If we did not get free dining, we absolutely would not buy the DDP as that just doesn't work for us. WAY too much food. We do lots of meal sharing as Disney meal portions are usually very large. Look at menus and do the math to see what works for you.

I don't understand the gift card scheme. When I eat at Disney OOP I just put the meals on a point rewarding credit card and zero out the c/c before the monthly payment is due. No interest charged and points too. Woohoo!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter