DDP Maximizing, With kids, new snacks, Character meals, Pooling, etc.

HalfDozen

Mouseketeer
I remember that when the plan was introduced there were some kinks that needed to be worked out. It's been some time, so I'm wondering what, if anything, has ever been determined regarding a few things.

First - what happened to the article or thread about maximizing the value of your dining plan? Anyone know where it is, by chance? (And have a link). The board is very slow for me, loading threads and what not, and times out when I attempt a search. I remember one that specifically said which restaurants were good choices, etc. I plan to avoid any of the 2 credit sit downs and shows, since I don't think they're a great value on this plan.

Second - Les Cellier is still 1 credit, right? I know there was talk of it being a 2 credit for a while, but I don't see it listed as such on the 06 brochure.

Third - we have several kids and a few of them are tiny, tiny eaters (in fact, they share a kids' meal at any other restaurant - or share with me). Obviously the kids under 3 aren't included, but can we share meals between them?

Fourth - are the meals pooled on one card, as was discussed? Is there some way that they differentiate kids vs. adults on the credits? I hate the idea of wasting meals or all that food - but my 9 year old would really be more happy with an adult sized portion, so if we have to order two kids meals for her, we can always do that. But, I'm just wondering - I know it says that kids have to order from a kids' menu, when available - and I realize we could do buffets, but I'd rather not. Anyway - not wanting to start that debate again, just curious.

Fifth - new snacks - what are the best new inclusions? I saw the other thread, including the "good stuff" - what can you get at the Bakery on Main Street and was Dole Whip ever confirmed? What about Turkey Legs?

Sixth - which character meals are served family style besides Ohana and CRT? We loved those, but I don't want to use two credits to do CRT when we've done that already, and Ohana we MIGHT do again, but I'd rather try something new - and NO buffets! It's just too hard with six kids. :thumbsup2

Finally - what is your favorite meal/restaurant, where you can really get fabulous food, for one credit? We will probably head to the parks in the morning, skip the afternoons for napping and swimming, then head back for a nice sit down dinner and a parade and/or fireworks. Our big meal of the day will be dinner - even if it's on the early side (because of the kids). Last year we loved: California Grill (LOVED it - the kids had an especially magical time there, and the food was exquisite), Kona Cafe, Chef Mickey's, Ohana, and Les Cellier - and the Food and Wine Festival, of course.

We have also eaten at Rainforest Cafe, Earl of Sandwich, Mama Melrose's, 50s Prime Time, Cosmic Ray's, Backlot Express, Benihana (offsite - by DTD), Cantina de San Angel, Biergarten, Pecos Bill's, and Columbia Harbor House. None of those were so spectacular that we'd prioritize them again -but we've never had a really bad dining experience (except in the Land Pavillion - that cafeteria style place downstairs - ugh - the items we had were just gross).

Anyway - what are more MUST EATS at WDW that we've missed out on? We LOVE good food and our kids were raised that way, as well. So anything with a fairly interesting menu is great for us.

Thanks!

A few answers.

#2 Yes

#3 Yes

#4 Credits are pooled

#5 Dole whip confirmed No reports from Bakery Turkey Legs cost more than $4, so not included - can use a CS though.

#6 LTT dinner PSB dinner/lunch has cold appetizer buffet, rest is brought to table

Our recommendation - Coral Reef.

The Garden Grill in the land pavillion (the sit down not the counter service place) is family style as well.

So that makes it:

Ohanas
PSB
LTT
GG
CRT

First - what happened to the article or thread about maximizing the value of your dining plan?
It got a little pedantic, from where I was sitting. At some point, we need to realize that how much we enjoy something has more to do with liking the food, liking the atmosphere, etc., than how much it costs.

Second - Les Cellier is still 1 credit, right?
It is now 1TS. It started out as 2TS, but was knocked down to 1TS pretty early on.

Third - ... can we share meals between them?
You can share meals everywhere except buffets and other fixed price meals.

Fourth - are the meals pooled on one card, as was discussed?
You can determine which cards can access the credits.

Fifth - new snacks - what are the best new inclusions?
Nothing is definitive. There are reports of guests having great experiences with new inclusions, but the Dining Plan brochure hasn't been updated, so there is no way to know for sure what will or won't be included at some time in the future. What they could be doing is testing things out.

Sixth - which character meals are served family style besides Ohana and CRT?
CRT is family style? I thought it was pre-plated. Regardless Liberty Tree Tavern is also family style, as is Garden Grill.

Finally - what is your favorite meal/restaurant, where you can really get fabulous food, for one credit?
Chefs de France.

Yes - you're right - pre-plated, all you care to eat :) Thank you for that correction.

I guess I should clarify that I meant places where I don't have to go to the buffet ;) But I think the list is great! Thanks!

HalfDozen said:
Yes - you're right - pre-plated, all you care to eat :) Thank you for that correction.

I guess I should clarify that I meant places where I don't have to go to the buffet ;) But I think the list is great! Thanks!

crt is pre-plated, but i think only breakfast is all you care to eat

All the credits are pooled. What I think you are asking is if your 9 year old can use credits to purchase adult meals? This will work at most CS places (from what I have read, I don't travel with younger children), there have been many posts about the CMs not caring what you order. If worse comes to worse, you could have 2 adults go through the lines as well. It would not work at TS restaurants. Your card will read 2A4C (just guessing on your family of 6), so she will have to order off the children's menu.

My son at 9 could never have eaten off the childrens menu for a week. I wonder if it would be possible to pay the adult price for a 9 year old? It would make things easier at TS, but obviously cost a lot more.

Just checked the snack thread. It looks like most things at the MS bakery are snacks now (things under $4).

Yeah - I wish I could have the option of upgrading for her, yk (paying, of course). Although, DH and I probably couldn't eat two appetizers, entrees, AND desserts in a meal, so maybe we can just plan carefully and she can share with us as well. The kids meals are very limited, from what I remember. I need to go back through the menus and see if I can find more generous/interesting options.

Thanks for your help. :)

(Oh - and one more thing - the card says 2A4C, but they don't check that at counter service? Or do they just not really care?)

There have been reports of CMs sometimes enforcing the 2A4C notation on the card. However, Disney typically relies on the integrity of its guests for things like this. If it becomes a major issue for them, though, they may start enforcing it more consistently.

Oh - and one more thing - the card says 2A4C, but they don't check that at counter service? Or do they just not really care?)

Keep in mind that I have a 16 year old so no first hand experience...everything I have read about CS is that they don't pay attention to the adult vs. child thing. If you had a CM who would not let you order 3 adult meals, you could always go back through the line and order another adult meal separately (or have the other adult in your party order it).

The kids menus are very limited if you have a child that likes to eat different foods and eats a lot. We could easily have split appetizers and deserts with another person last year when we used the DP. I was with my DS then and he is a huge eater, so to say we could have shared is saying a lot! That might make the meal a little more interesting for your daughter.

HalfDozen said:
Yeah - I wish I could have the option of upgrading for her, yk (paying, of course). Although, DH and I probably couldn't eat two appetizers, entrees, AND desserts in a meal, so maybe we can just plan carefully and she can share with us as well. The kids meals are very limited, from what I remember. I need to go back through the menus and see if I can find more generous/interesting options.

Thanks for your help. :)

(Oh - and one more thing - the card says 2A4C, but they don't check that at counter service? Or do they just not really care?)

You can upgrade her - buy her an adult park pass - lie if you have to and say that she is 10. She's get the adult credits and it will only cost you the difference between the child pass and an adult pass - On a 10 day pass it's only about 40 dollars! :) Everyone is happy!

HalfDozen said:

In December our cards were labelled 3A1C, at CS we were told she had to order off the children's menu. We opted to use the three adult credits and purchase her a hotdog or chicken fingers OOP and she used her CS for a Mickey Waffle nearly every morning. I think she only used the CS lunch once o twice since she did not care for amny of the options. At TS the child from child's menu was always stated prior to her placing her order.

My DS 5 can eat me under the table sometimes and will order off the adult menu. On our last trip I got him prime rib and he finished the whole thing much to the shock of the waitstaff. They were kind enough to give him pasta as a side instead of potato and veggie, and he ate most of that too.This is the main reason I will not use the dinning plan. My kids will often not eat what is on the kids menu especially at CS. I travel alone with them so there is no second adult to wait online and get more food. I am toying with the idea of trying the DDP one time but I know that i would have to pay OOP for some meals for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter