DDP trading alcoholic beverage for appetizer

jessieroo

DIS Veteran
Has anyone been able to get an appetizer in place if the alcoholic beverage in the DDP? On my trip two years some restaurants let me use my dessert option for an appetizer.
Has anyone done this?

Pretty sure they would sooner tell you to get a non-alcoholic specialty beverage or soft drink before they would do a substitution.

You got super lucky with someone letting you exchange a desert for an appetizer, as that is not something that is allowed on the DDP.

If you don't want an alcoholic drink, you will just choose a non-alcoholic one such as a soda, tea, coffee, etc.

Has anyone been able to get an appetizer in place if the alcoholic beverage in the DDP?
Very unlikely. You'll be offered non-alcoholic beverage options instead, especially at the third party restaurants which are reimbursed according to the rules of the dining plan so there is no way they'll let you order anything but a beverage.

On my trip two years some restaurants let me use my dessert option for an appetizer.
Has anyone done this?
You were extremely lucky. Currently, some table service restaurants will offer a substitute for the dessert if you ask, but it will be something pre-selected by the restaurant. Most often it has been a cup of soup or a small side salad or a veggie side. It will not be an appetizer from the menu.

This is a copy and paste of Disney's rule. Notice that is only a substitution asterisk beside dessert, not beverage.

Each Table-Service meal includes (for lunch or dinner):
  • 1 Entrée
  • 1 Dessert*
  • Non-alcoholic Beverage (or Alcoholic Beverage, for Guests 21 and older)
-OR-
  • 1 Full Buffet** or Family-Style Meal
*Ask your server about potential substitutions, but substitutions are not guaranteed. **If available.

I have heard that you can get fruit instead of dessert, does every place have fruit available?

I'm allergic to pretty much every dessert at Disney and I've never not been offered fruit for dessert instead.

Interesting. I am pretty sure I got that information off the Disney website or somewhere. Sometimes a nice bowl of fruit for dessert hits the right spot. I was hoping they would have it

You won't be able to get food in exchange for your beverage allottment.

I'm actually shocked that anyplace allowed an appetizer instead of a dessert. That's been a big no ever since the dining plan was split into separate plans and the appetizer removed from the regular plan.

Sometimes you don't get offered a substitute like fruit, but if you ask they will come up with something. No guarantees though, and it's going to mean that not every restaurant will allow you to make such a substitution.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!