DDP - two room reservation - cast member says I can't add the dining plan to only one room?

gorkt

DIS Veteran
From reading on these boards, it seems like this is something that happens all the time, so I tried to add the dining plan to just one of our two rooms. First the cast member tried to upsell me to putting the dining plan on everyone on the reservation in both rooms. Then when I told him no thanks, he told me that he wasn't sure he could even do it, and said something about how difficult this would be and how he would have to split my reservation in two. I didn't want to risk losing reservations and fastpasses so I declined.

Is this normal or did I just get a bad CM?

Dining plan is all or nothing. Either ALL of the reservation has the dining plan, or none of it does. You would have to have two separate reservations and add the dining plan to only one of them, in order to accomplish what you want.

I don't understand. Do you have one number for both rooms or each room has their own confirmation number?

Interesting. Do you have ONE or TWO confirmation numbers?
I've booked 3 rooms and each one has it's own confirmation number and "lead guest." I don't have to get the DDP on all rooms. I can choose one. Did you happen to book two rooms with one room containing children?

Yes, both rooms have the same confirmation number because both "children" are in the same room. That must be why he found it difficult.

At this point, I am too nervous about splitting the reservation and losing reservations and fastpasses, so I will probably just go OOP , like I usually do.

Yes, both rooms have the same confirmation number because both "children" are in the same room. That must be why he found it difficult.

At this point, I am too nervous about splitting the reservation and losing reservations and fastpasses, so I will probably just go OOP , like I usually do.
That's why you can't add the dining plan to one rooms. You need to have to separate reservations for each room and then you could do that. Since it is one reservation, it's all or nothing.

Can I ask, why and what you mean? Unless I'm missing something I'd def. rebook under 2 reservation numbers if you can get the same price...then you'll be able to book dining under whichever room you want.

From reading on these boards, it seems like this is something that happens all the time, so I tried to add the dining plan to just one of our two rooms. First the cast member tried to upsell me to putting the dining plan on everyone on the reservation in both rooms. Then when I told him no thanks, he told me that he wasn't sure he could even do it, and said something about how difficult this would be and how he would have to split my reservation in two. I didn't want to risk losing reservations and fastpasses so I declined.

Is this normal or did I just get a bad CM?
The CM did not try to “up sell” you. He told you the correct information. You have one reservation. It is everyone or no one.
Poor CM’s. Immediate inclination is to blame them and publicly bad mouth them.

I would call and ask if you will lose your ADRs and FPs by rebooking. Otherwise just buy some discounted Disney gift cards and pay that way. HTH and have fun:).

I don't think you would lose any dining or FastPass reservations if you split into two separate room reservations, but to me the larger issue is that you would no longer be guaranteed to have a connecting room with your children. Having two rooms with one reservation number guarantees that.

Your ADR's and FP will not get lost if you adjust your reservation. Fastpasses are tied to whether you have tickets or not, even though WHEN you can make the FP's is linked to where your resort reservations are. ADR's are available to anyone at 180 days, even though whether you can make ADR's for your whole trip is linked to where your resort stay is. Even with the new rules around advanced reservations, there is a grace period if you make changes to your reservation before anything gets dropped. As long as you still have onsite reservation when the changes are done, your ADRs and FP's will remain intact.

I don't think you would lose any dining or FastPass reservations if you split into two separate room reservations, but to me the larger issue is that you would no longer be guaranteed to have a connecting room with your children. Having two rooms with one reservation number guarantees that.

I am fairly sure that NOTHING guarantees connecting rooms. They do the best they can and with a single reservation # they will try to at minimum ensure the rooms are close to each other, but AFAIK they cannot ever guarantee connected rooms.

I am fairly sure that NOTHING guarantees connecting rooms. They do the best they can and with a single reservation # they will try to at minimum ensure the rooms are close to each other, but AFAIK they cannot ever guarantee connected rooms.
True, although I have done this and had the words "guaranteed connecting" on my reservation. They might not put that lingo on the reservation anymore, but when rooms are assigned, 2 rooms under the same reservation number will be assigned to connecting rooms before 2 separate reservations with a "travel with" number. So while it might not be 100% guaranteed to be connecting or even adjoining, it is a much higher possibility when it's under one reservation number. I just wanted to point that out in case it's important to the OP.

True, although I have done this and had the words "guaranteed connecting" on my reservation. They might not put that lingo on the reservation anymore, but when rooms are assigned, 2 rooms under the same reservation number will be assigned to connecting rooms before 2 separate reservations with a "travel with" number. So while it might not be 100% guaranteed to be connecting or even adjoining, it is a much higher possibility when it's under one reservation number. I just wanted to point that out in case it's important to the OP.

Unfortunately there have been posters who had Guaranteed Connecting on their rooms, and still didn't get them. If it is absolutely vital you have connecting rooms so that you are all together, then it is best to book a suite or a villa. Rooms are not even pre-assigned to a few days before your trip, so Disney has no idea if connecting rooms will be available for you when you request them.

This same CM said I had connecting rooms, and I think they pre-assign them by this point. Either way, I have two teens, so if we end up getting seperated, it isn't the end of the world. I would bet we have connecting rooms though.

I am just going to pay with a credit card. I had done some math, and thought I could come out a bit ahead by getting the 3 out of 4 of us on the dining plan, but it really wasn't that big of a deal, so I am just going to pay OOP.

Unless your teens are over 18, there is supposed to be an adult in the room. If they are underage, they are not supposed to stay in a separate room alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter