DEBATE: Has the day of the calm dark ride past?

"I think this talk of small attention spans is just an excuse that Disney uses to justify not creating this type of attraction. "

Exactly.

Another point, a core of Disney's visitors are children.. Many of whom are not large enough to even go on a roller coaster. Rides like World of Motion, Horizons, etc. all take a lot of money to keep well kept. That's why many are gone, $. It's no coincidence that Imagination reopened with 0 animatronics, and then still, only 3 after the redo.

Originally posted by raidermatt
Just as an action movie, like Raiders of the Lost Ark, gives the audience time to look around once in awhile, a thrill ride probably should too.

That's not to say the Indy would be better without the thrills, but perhaps a slower, more prolonged start to the ride would have made it even better than it already is.

Yes, that would make the ride longer, and more expensive. However, a case could be made that it would draw even more guests into the park and would have a longer lifespan.

Look at Splash Mountain. It's a log flume with three drops, and lots to see. Of course, this ride represents Disney at its best, IMHO.

Originally posted by Demosthenes

Look at Splash Mountain. It's a log flume with three drops, and lots to see. Of course, this ride represents Disney at its best, IMHO.

Yes, even Tower of Terror and Big Thunder Mountain pause for a few moments to see some details. I have only been on Indy a few times but I don't remember it pausing much. I guess I have to go back and ride it some more:)

If I recal correctly, Indy pauses in the main room only twice, once on the bridge and once in front of the snake (and I'm not sure about the snake). The other pauses take place in the tunnels off the main room (the dark room, the boulder room and a couple of others).

I don't think the calm dark ride's days are over. In fact, I think the themed environment of the future will place a large demand for them. As technology increases entertainment will become more and more 360, more real (although using virtual reality technology). Guests will need a 'transition space' to help them leave the everyday world behind. Dark rides and omnimover like vehicles provide the perfect transition.

Additionally, dark rides will also be needed as entertainment for the whole family. 3 year olds won't wear 3-D glasses, so the ride has to be built 3-D.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sead at Disney Sea is a new dark ride. It seems to be on a large scale though it isn't as long. Maybe it is to be considered inbetween. I personally get more excited riding a slower moving vehical into a well and extensively themed environment filled with characters, sets, and effects than speeding through a well themed environment with not alot going on because you can't catch it all at that speed. Splash Mountian is a great comprimise between the two genres and I hope Disney can continue more in that vein without giving up on the dark ride completely.

I wouldn't expect a new slow moving E-Ticket Dark ride in the Near future, because as Scoop hints in another thread, the numbers dictate otherwise, but you know statistics can be used to prove anything 97% of people know that. What is really needed is some imagineers who really believe in the concept and a company willing to install it. I suspect that right now today we have niether. The Disney of today seems content to let spinners and Mouse coasters be their more tame rides. a sad state of affairs in my opinion.

As I've said before, Perhaps AK could creat boat or ride based animal interactions that would "thrill" in that way.

And Yoho, that would really be a better concept at AK than BK as it would draw on the type of folks most likely to appreciate the AK philosophy whilst one big new coaster would draw people to AK to ride that one big new coaster and then leave...

But doesn't Indy & Dinosaur present hope for more variations on the modern dark ride (which I consider them to be)?
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

Quite true that Indy and Dinosaur present a healthy new take on an old Favorite, but ultimatly, they still have height restrictions and the like. and when Dinosaur was tamed down to reduce those restrictions, it's popularity fell as well.

There has to be a happy medium. something more family friendly.

Agreed. But it's just getting to that next step...I guess that has most of us bugged a little (and some a lot!)...
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

Disney needs more dark rides. Epcot hasn't been the same since Horizons and World of Motion were taken out.

Disney is famous for the dark rides - I say build MORE!

King Triton

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter