Debt Dumpers - 2017

He had to call me to brag about his new $1000 suitcase
Wow. I think most airlines have a clause stating something to the effect "Luggage is to protect your belongings and scuffs, dings and some damage is to be expected"
Our bargain luggage is like 20 years old. It still looks good, even with the few scuffs and dings (it adds character). I have had to do some simple repairs like replacing the wheels (they use the same wheels as inline skates and you find them on ebay cheap).
I would be physically ill if I had $1k luggage show up with a scuff or a ding.

My wife does get upset because I can fix almost anything, sometimes she wants something new with better features. My previous car was 20 years old and had 250k miles. We / (I) agreed to get a new car when we planned to start a family because my old car did not have anti lock brakes or airbags.

I should note that I am not a total penny pincher, I figure the money we save can be used for experiences with our family. We have been to Maui 5x, WDW 3x and Disneyland every year.

Last edited:
Wow. I think most airlines have a clause stating something to the effect "Luggage is to protect your belongings and scuffs, dings and some damage is to be expected"
Our bargain luggage is like 20 years old. It still looks good, even with the few scuffs and dings (it adds character). I have had to do some simple repairs like replacing the wheels (they use the same wheels as inline skates and you find them on ebay cheap).
I would be physically ill if I had $1k luggage show up with a scuff or a ding.

My wife does get upset because I can fix almost anything, sometimes she wants something new with better features. My previous car was 20 years old and had 250k miles. We / (I) agreed to get a new car when we planned to start a family because my old car did not have anti lock brakes or airbags.

I should note that I am not a total penny pincher, I figure the money we save can be used for experiences with our family. We have been to Maui 5x, WDW 3x and Disneyland every year.

I actually was talking with my brother about his luggage just this week. He said that he never plans to check this bag. It is a roller board suitcase and will always be stored in the overhead compartment. I still think it is insane because that isn't any guarantee that it won't get damaged. But to each their own. I am sure there are many things that I would never spend my money on that others view as necessary or desirable and visa versa.

Hello all! Sitting here in the MCO airport after a wonderful three days in Disney! I am sooo glad we took this trip. I really had some conflicted feelings about spending the money on it and taking the vacation time, but we did very well price-wise and we really did need the time off. I bought a few extra souvenirs I hadn't originally planned, but the costs were offset in part by a $25 Visa gift card from my mother in law for my birthday and our discount for our Disney Visa. We also had excellent weather and the crowds weren't bad at all. I can honestly say that I got to do everything I wanted to do at Disney despite the short timeframe and peak season! Once I get home I'll be sure to do a trip report :)

We are now heading onto a long weekend at the beach for my work conference. I think I've discussed this here before, but my work VERY generously puts up the 20+ members of my office in oceanfront hotels for three nights for this conference, in addition to paying our gas and per diem. My hotel alone was $350/night. It's a rather touristy beach area, but it's still a really nice little beach vacation and will be very relaxing after three whirlwind days in Disney.

Hope everyone is having a good week!

Ok quick dream update ....

I checked online with my mortgage company. To meet my goal for payoff, I have to shave 144 months off my due date. In 50 months of payments, I've paid enough extra to shave 27 months, a little short of the 33 months I should have saved. But, based on my new payment, if I keep paying the same amount I'll shave 183 months off. (Sadly, that assumes either insurance doesn't increase or I can increase my payment to continue to pay the same amount extra each month)

A bit more updated information, the average principal amount on the payment is about $80. The decrease on the insurance will let me pay an extra $150 a month, so that is almost 3 months worth of principal payments every month, so in a year I should have made really close to 36 payments, or 24 extra. So, this time next year, I'll have made about 62 payments, and shaved off 51 payments. That will put me about 11 payments "ahead" of my goal. Woo-hoo!!

Murphy, don't strike me now!!

In related debt dumping news ... my ex S.O. / roommate's dad died earlier this year. While I am saddened for the loss, it does mean that a small inheritance is due. I have been told that the inheritance will be used to pay back what is owed. I'm not really holding my breath on it, but it would be nice. If everything is paid, I could pay off my ATT Next phone, Best Buy card, and my last credit card. That would free up almost $600 a month that I could then start dumping on student loan and mortgages. Fingers crossed on the follow-through (and that the amount is enough).

So, in the last month we paid off our washer/dryer, got half the amount needed for our disney tickets in gift cards, cashed in our stock to pay off our rental house, and got $30 in Starbucks gift cards (we rarely get it unless we are on vacation). We are now at the 2 month mark. My next two checks will go towards Universal tickets and vet bills. The final amount for our bonus is $1/hour worked for the quarter, so I'm expecting about $1000 from that to pay the kennel.

I snagged a ton of clothes for the trip on clearance this week. $2-$4 for shirts and $10 shorts/Capri pants. I think I spent under $100 for new clothes for all 4 of us (which we needed regardless of vacation).

Got the other half on board with really cutting back on groceries and eating out for the next two months. We do good with eating out normally, but i almost always blow the grocery budget. I'm going to sit down tonight and make a meal plan for two weeks and stick to it. I see tacos as a 2x a week thing. Lol.

If anyone has some cheap dinner ideas, please share!

So, in the last month we paid off our washer/dryer, got half the amount needed for our disney tickets in gift cards, cashed in our stock to pay off our rental house, and got $30 in Starbucks gift cards (we rarely get it unless we are on vacation). We are now at the 2 month mark. My next two checks will go towards Universal tickets and vet bills. The final amount for our bonus is $1/hour worked for the quarter, so I'm expecting about $1000 from that to pay the kennel.

I snagged a ton of clothes for the trip on clearance this week. $2-$4 for shirts and $10 shorts/Capri pants. I think I spent under $100 for new clothes for all 4 of us (which we needed regardless of vacation).

Got the other half on board with really cutting back on groceries and eating out for the next two months. We do good with eating out normally, but i almost always blow the grocery budget. I'm going to sit down tonight and make a meal plan for two weeks and stick to it. I see tacos as a 2x a week thing. Lol.

If anyone has some cheap dinner ideas, please share!

Pasta is always a good one. Spaghetti with butter and parmesan cheese, noodles with alfredo sauce/broccoli/chicken or bacon or both (optional depending on sales.) We like to do grilled cheese nights, usually paired with fries (not the healthiest, but could substitute fries for soup or salad.) Soup and salad night. When making tacos (and spaghetti with meat sauce) I prefer to use ground turkey which is generally cheaper than ground beef. For tacos, when mixed with taco seasoning, you can't even tell the difference. We tend to eat a lot of chicken, rice, boxed mac and cheese, chili, fresh or frozen veggies. I'm sure there are other "cheap" dinners that I make, but I can't think of them at the moment. Will post back if I do.

Pasta is always a good one. Spaghetti with butter and parmesan cheese, noodles with alfredo sauce/broccoli/chicken or bacon or both (optional depending on sales.) We like to do grilled cheese nights, usually paired with fries (not the healthiest, but could substitute fries for soup or salad.) Soup and salad night. When making tacos (and spaghetti with meat sauce) I prefer to use ground turkey which is generally cheaper than ground beef. For tacos, when mixed with taco seasoning, you can't even tell the difference. We tend to eat a lot of chicken, rice, boxed mac and cheese, chili, fresh or frozen veggies. I'm sure there are other "cheap" dinners that I make, but I can't think of them at the moment. Will post back if I do.

I add a can of kidney or black beans to my taco meat to make it go further. I also try to make a pound/1.5 pounds of taco meat last for 2 meals (there are 4 of us). The first night, we'll have tacos, the next night, we'll have nachos. Lots of the same ingredients, but don't have to feel like we're eating the same thing.

Another cheap meal is breakfast for dinner. Pancakes, waffles, and/or scrambled eggs are inexpensive and easy. Or breakfast tacos. We do breakfast for dinner once a week, and my kids love it.

I also like to do chicken, green beans, and potatoes (white or sweet) in the oven. Cut the potatoes into 1" squares, coat in olive oil and season. Season the green beans, season the chicken. You can put them all in the same 9x13 pan if you have room. I usually do chicken in one pan, the veggies in another, and top with some butter. They take about the same time to bake - I just put them in the oven and walk away. This meal makes for good leftovers, too.

Ended up buying a car over the weekend! Went to stay with the ILS and it was sooooooooo much easier looking while they looked after the girls! Didn't intend to buy, just do some test drives so we knew what we wanted and shop round down here but we got an awesome deal with lots included and there's no way we would have got that price again even with shopping around.

Now we need to finalise finance, had only made an initial inquiry. Payments should be under $300 pm over 5 years but we should be able to knock it over in 2.

July recap and looking forward.

Overall we did pretty well in July and mostly stayed within budget. We ate out a few extra times, but nothing extravagant or anything. Whenever we run over budget in a discretionary category like that, I just take from the next month's budget. So basically we don't have a dining out budget for August, except for our anniversary dinner that we had last week. We spent a whooping $36 total. But it was very nice nonetheless. I was also able to stash away another $175 in July and $77 so far in August towards the DVC fund from Swagbucks, iBotta, mystery shopping and eBates so we are up to $3460 in that fund.

As for August, things are looking pretty good. We have finally finished paying back the DVC fund, which we had borrowed from early in the year to buy two sets of 7-day park hopper non-expiring WDW park tickets for our future vacations. This means that starting in September, we can finally start putting money back into the vacation fund! This will be very important so that we can cover our October 2018 cruise and WDW in March 2019.

I will be talking with my boss this morning regarding my salary. It is a little convoluted, but basically, I got the standard cost of living (CoL) raise in September 2015 and then got a promotion in February 2016. The promotion came with a significant pay increase and so my boss said that I wouldn't be eligible for a CoL increase in September 2016. But somehow the CoL increase got processed anyways. So basically, she said then I shouldn't get the CoL increase for next month (Sept. 2017), but I just got the merit letter in my email last Friday saying that I would be receiving a 2.6% pay increase starting next month. I feel really conflicted about all of this because with the baby almost here, we could really use the money. Plus, this would mean that I would go 24 months without any kind of increase, which would essentially mean that my salary would decrease relative to inflation.

DH hasn't gotten his merit increase letter yet, so we don't know what he might be getting, but unless it is unexpectedly large, it probably wouldn't be enough to cover the baby's insurance costs. So without my raise too, we would essentially have less income each month and would have to figure out where to cut from our current budget. DH doesn't want us to decrease any of our retirement savings or the extra mortgage principal payments. We would probably have to decrease our personal allowances, which would make things a bit tight but not impossible. But if we both got a raise, it would mean that we wouldn't have to cut out any current spending. We would be able to increase the baby expenses fund by $50 per month, increase the gift fund by $25 (for baby's birthday and holiday gifts) and start a college fund with $50 per month (to be increased over time).

Fingers crossed that she agrees to let me keep the raise.

Last edited:
You're a better person than I am--I'd just take the increase and not bring it up! Why give them a chance to take it back?

Firstly, my boss was CC'd on the merit letter email, so she knows that they were giving it to me. Also, last year I didn't realize that I got the increase when they misapplied the CoL increase that I wasn't supposed to get. My boss confronted me about it a month or two later. I said that I guess I didn't notice because that same month I had dropped DH from my insurance because he started his job, which means that my pay increased but I guess more than it was supposed to.

Not going to get on my boss's bad side by just ignoring the situation and hope that I get the raise. Better to be up front about it and let her decide.

That's weird that it'd get you on her bad side--it's her responsibility (along with finance and HR) to make sure mistakes like this aren't made. I'd never confront anyone that worked for me over something like that, especially if I was made aware of it through email. I'd handle it with finance and HR, then go back to the employee to explain what was going to happen. Nicely!

That's weird that it'd get you on her bad side--it's her responsibility (along with finance and HR) to make sure mistakes like this aren't made. I'd never confront anyone that worked for me over something like that, especially if I was made aware of it through email. I'd handle it with finance and HR, then go back to the employee to explain what was going to happen. Nicely!

Yeah, I could say nothing, but I do not feel that is the appropriate course here. I think it is much better to be upfront about it and just ask to keep the raise. She knows that I got the letter, so if I say nothing it would look like I was just trying to let it slide when we had already discussed that I shouldn't be getting one this year. I feel that I might have a good chance of keeping it though, since we are no longer concerned about our grant funding over the next two years (we have brought in enough extra work to ensure 100% salaries for all staff plus travel expenses until May 2019). We will see. Either way, I think my boss will respect me more that I was forthcoming about the situation.

July recap and looking forward.

Overall we did pretty well in July and mostly stayed within budget. We ate out a few extra times, but nothing extravagant or anything. Whenever we run over budget in a discretionary category like that, I just take from the next month's budget. So basically we don't have a dining out budget for August, except for our anniversary dinner that we had last week. We spent a whooping $36 total. But it was very nice nonetheless. I was also able to stash away another $175 in July and $77 so far in August towards the DVC fund from Swagbucks, iBotta, mystery shopping and eBates so we are up to $3460 in that fund.

As for August, things are looking pretty good. We have finally finished paying back the DVC fund, which we had borrowed from early in the year to buy two sets of 7-day park hopper non-expiring WDW park tickets for our future vacations. This means that starting in September, we can finally start putting money back into the vacation fund! This will be very important so that we can cover our October 2018 cruise and WDW in March 2019.

I will be talking with my boss this morning regarding my salary. It is a little convoluted, but basically, I got the standard cost of living (CoL) raise in September 2015 and then got a promotion in February 2016. The promotion came with a significant pay increase and so my boss said that I wouldn't be eligible for a CoL increase in September 2016. But somehow the CoL increase got processed anyways. So basically, she said then I shouldn't get the CoL increase for next month (Sept. 2017), but I just got the merit letter in my email last Friday saying that I would be receiving a 2.6% pay increase starting next month. I feel really conflicted about all of this because with the baby almost here, we could really use the money. Plus, this would mean that I would go 24 months without any kind of increase, which would essentially mean that my salary would decrease relative to inflation.

DH hasn't gotten his merit increase letter yet, so we don't know what he might be getting, but unless it is unexpectedly large, it probably wouldn't be enough to cover the baby's insurance costs. So without my raise too, we would essentially have less income each month and would have to figure out where to cut from our current budget. DH doesn't want us to decrease any of our retirement savings or the extra mortgage principal payments. We would probably have to decrease our personal allowances, which would make things a bit tight but not impossible. But if we both got a raise, it would mean that we wouldn't have to cut out any current spending. We would be able to increase the baby expenses fund by $50 per month, increase the gift fund by $25 (for baby's birthday and holiday gifts) and start a college fund with $50 per month (to be increased over time).

Fingers crossed that she agrees to let me keep the raise.
Could be your boss is confused especially if HR is in charge of that stuff and you are all fine. It happens. I'd call HR to find out for sure. Good luck!

Could be your boss is confused especially if HR is in charge of that stuff and you are all fine. It happens. I'd call HR to find out for sure. Good luck!

No, my boss makes the ultimate decisions regarding salaries. My university department gives a standard department wide CoL increase each year, but that can be changed at the discretion of a program's principal investigator.

I spoke with her this morning and expressed my desire to keep the CoL raise. She said she needed to think about it but was glad that I mentioned it to her. Whatever she decides, I am happier that I addressed it with her directly.

I thought of another low budget dinner...mainly because im eating it now! Burrito bowls. Rice, beans, lettuce, chicken (or meat of choice) sour cream, cheese, salsa if you wish...ta-da! Quick easy and inexpensive.

I thought of another low budget dinner...mainly because im eating it now! Burrito bowls. Rice, beans, lettuce, chicken (or meat of choice) sour cream, cheese, salsa if you wish...ta-da! Quick easy and inexpensive.

We had this tonight. Ha! We have this about every couple weeks. We leave out the lettuce and add avocado. If I make enough, we can put it on top of chips for nachos the next night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter