Debt Dumpers - 2018

A $21 dryer fuse costs $200 to put in because he has to take the whole back of it apart. And it’s not easy getting into our tiny laundry closet (alcove in a hallway wall). Oh, I wish we were handy. At least I can dry laundry tonight.

Doing much better budget wise this month. I still don't like how much I've spent on eating out so far, but it's definitely not as bad as last month. I'm going to rein it in over the next couple weeks. My 96 year old grandma fell on Monday afternoon and my mom and I spent all night at the hospital with her. I got home at 4:30 AM yesterday morning and then got up at 6:30 AM as I had to go into work to drop some files off and pick up some work to do at home. I was too tired to even try to cobble a lunch together, so I picked up Chick Fil A. I slept well last night, but woke up feeling awful. I'm really hoping I didn't pick up a bug in the hospital, but I swear I feel like I'm coming down with the flu. I'm hoping I'm just overtired from the hospital visit and then being insanely busy at work. Anyways, I needed Starbucks this morning to get me through the day.

It looks like Florence will largely miss us this week/weekend. We were expecting it to hit pretty bad, but it looks like now we'll just get a couple inches of rain and some strong gusts. Regardless, it should keep us inside this weekend so no shopping for us. A horse show we volunteer at was canceled for this weekend, so that saves us the gas driving the two hours up there and money we would spend on food. It should be a pretty quiet rest of the month for us.
I hope you’re just tired and not sick! Feel better soon. I wonder if you might be in my area bc our forecast was downgraded quite a bit too. I’m in Southern Maryland.

Just caught up on everyone's posts! Stay safe if you're in the path of Florence everyone!

We're just off the Disney Dream and did great budget wise (and the cruise was AMAZING of course!). We booked this cruise 15 months out so we had a good bit of time to save for it and for our spending. We came home with money and intend to use it to buy DS a new car seat (he's very tall and two inches from outgrowing his infant carrier) and put the rest toward an entertainment center.

We decided to book a Very Merytime Disney cruise on the Wonder for next December (2019) since we got the onboard booking discount and had saved some credit card rewards to put down as the deposit. We are planning to start trying for baby # 2 around that time so it'll be a nice trip with just DS before the craziness of another baby comes along. We should have plenty of time to save and it should be well within budget for us, especially since I'll be working by then.

I'm going to a job fair next Monday so hopefully that'll yield good results. I also just mentioned to my old boss that I'm looking to work again and she said she could help me get in at a location near where I live now once the holidays roll around, so things are looking up for me on that front as well!

Finally, I saw there was a conversation going about student loans and parents paying for school while I was away, and I don't want to be redundant so I'll just say that I agree with @Jen and Ashwin and @DisneyMandC . We plan to help our kids as much as we reasonably can.

I hope you’re just tired and not sick! Feel better soon. I wonder if you might be in my area bc our forecast was downgraded quite a bit too. I’m in Southern Maryland.

Richmond, VA! Yes, it looks like largely a non event for us now. Some strong wind gusts and a couple inches of rain. We took down the bird feeders and will probably close our horses in the barn just so they stay cozy and dry, but we should be fine. I feel bad for the people of SC. Florence made a hard left with not much time for them to prepare.

So, I'm a bit deflated. Went to my appointment to register our DD's new/old car. The total?! $627!!! No back taxes, no outstanding fees. That's just for state sales tax and registration on a 13 year old Toyota! AND our lovely state will NOT accept credit cards. Thank the good Lord I knew what my balances and projected costs were going to be. I paid with a check, came back and opened up my spreadsheet and adjusted my sails.

Now that the anger and emotions have dulled to a quiet roar, I'm grateful it's done and that I could write that check in confidence. Still, it took away most funds from the "emergency" buffer I was keeping. So happy for that buffer today.

So, I'm a bit deflated. Went to my appointment to register our DD's new/old car. The total?! $627!!! No back taxes, no outstanding fees. That's just for state sales tax and registration on a 13 year old Toyota! AND our lovely state will NOT accept credit cards. Thank the good Lord I knew what my balances and projected costs were going to be. I paid with a check, came back and opened up my spreadsheet and adjusted my sails.

Now that the anger and emotions have dulled to a quiet roar, I'm grateful it's done and that I could write that check in confidence. Still, it took away most funds from the "emergency" buffer I was keeping. So happy for that buffer today.
Oh wow! My 2016 Toyota didn't cost that much in 2016! I've only paid in Colorado though, so I have no bar to go off of.

When I went to do the new tags/taxes on our 2005 trailblazer, it was over $600 also. It's insane how much they charge for that. Every other state I've lived in, they roll all that into the loan and stuff, so it was fairly unexpected when I got my first car here. Oklahoma really likes their money. Too bad we just don't have anything to show for it.

Hi all! Not much new news on our debt dumping front. Our goal this month is to just save as much as possible and divide the savings between our Disney fund and Christmas budget.

Our 15th wedding anniversary is next week and we were able to coordinate childcare at the last minute and will be taking a weekend away at an adults only resort spa in the Wisconsin Dells. Anyone here been there before? Any recommendations for a nice dinner? At the beginning of this year, we had not been on a weekend away from the kids since our oldest was born and now this will be the third time this year! This is the first trip where it’s just my husband and I as the others two times were with friends and then for a family wedding. We are so excited to have a full weekend of total R&R!

I followed the threads regarding paying for college and this is my take. Neither my DH nor I had help paying for school. It’s okay, but we’re not better off/wiser/etc for paying for it ourselves. We have five children and while our income is decent, it would be challenging to pay for school in full for all five kids. I did get a PRN job at our local university and the college benefits there are AMAZING. If that turns into a full time job, we will be able to cover all college expenses. If not, we will do as much as we can and give each of our children the same amount. We’ll encourage them to take out as little loans as possible and to make sure the investment is wise. For example, if one of them wants to be a teacher or social worker, don’t take out hefty loans and preferably no loans at all. Also, trades are a wonderful option and we have a few friends who are home builders and another who owns his own electrician company. They’re highly successful with no college at all. These are definitely great options to consider as well.

Hi all! Not much new news on our debt dumping front. Our goal this month is to just save as much as possible and divide the savings between our Disney fund and Christmas budget.

Our 15th wedding anniversary is next week and we were able to coordinate childcare at the last minute and will be taking a weekend away at an adults only resort spa in the Wisconsin Dells. Anyone here been there before? Any recommendations for a nice dinner? At the beginning of this year, we had not been on a weekend away from the kids since our oldest was born and now this will be the third time this year! This is the first trip where it’s just my husband and I as the others two times were with friends and then for a family wedding. We are so excited to have a full weekend of total R&R!

I followed the threads regarding paying for college and this is my take. Neither my DH nor I had help paying for school. It’s okay, but we’re not better off/wiser/etc for paying for it ourselves. We have five children and while our income is decent, it would be challenging to pay for school in full for all five kids. I did get a PRN job at our local university and the college benefits there are AMAZING. If that turns into a full time job, we will be able to cover all college expenses. If not, we will do as much as we can and give each of our children the same amount. We’ll encourage them to take out as little loans as possible and to make sure the investment is wise. For example, if one of them wants to be a teacher or social worker, don’t take out hefty loans and preferably no loans at all. Also, trades are a wonderful option and we have a few friends who are home builders and another who owns his own electrician company. They’re highly successful with no college at all. These are definitely great options to consider as well.
Happy Anniversary!
I used to live not so far away from the Dells, and the Cheeze Factory is a favorite. It’s vegan, but check out the reviews - it’s very good and very highly rated!

Hope everyone who was affected by the storm/hurricane is fairing ok and that there wasn't too much damage to your homes!

All good here! We're actually having worse weather today than we did the whole time the hurricane was "hitting." My mom just texted me to say they should've closed schools today instead of last Friday when it was lightly misting with a nice breeze lol.

All good here! We're actually having worse weather today than we did the whole time the hurricane was "hitting." My mom just texted me to say they should've closed schools today instead of last Friday when it was lightly misting with a nice breeze lol.
That's crazy and kinda funny all at the same time. I'm glad to hear everything fared well for you guys!

Well after I posted that yesterday, we had multiple tornadoes come through. It was a weird day. My local school district didn't allow kids to leave the schools until 6 pm because there were so many tornadoes in the area. We had multiple buildings get damaged and one fatality. Fortunately, no damage near my house other than one downed tree and downed power lines about three miles down the road. Schools went in two hours late this morning and they're calling for more storms this afternoon. Ready to just go back to sunny and 80 degrees at this point!

Well after I posted that yesterday, we had multiple tornadoes come through. It was a weird day. My local school district didn't allow kids to leave the schools until 6 pm because there were so many tornadoes in the area. We had multiple buildings get damaged and one fatality. Fortunately, no damage near my house other than one downed tree and downed power lines about three miles down the road. Schools went in two hours late this morning and they're calling for more storms this afternoon. Ready to just go back to sunny and 80 degrees at this point!

Sending good vibes your way!!!

We had lots of rain and a tornado warning yesterday. The boys had a cross country meet and sheltered in place for about half an hour until it was downgraded to a watch. Today more rain but just now I saw a little blue sky - the first time in well over a week. I am ready for some sun again before autumn kicks in!

Got my anniversary date/pay increase letter but it won't kick in until next check. DH usually "assigns" that money pretty quick to something and I am not sure if it's going to be 529s or long-term savings this year. I also just got multiple emails today about school stuff that's going to cost a pretty penny. Nothing I didn't already know about, but all at once. 6 AP tests between the two kids, senior dues, school pictures for DS15, still have not ordered senior pictures for DS17....it never ends. Luckily they have slowed down growing a little so not much clothing needed at the moment. Watch, I say that and one of them will suddenly not fit into his dress shoes. Lol.

I just did a stockade on wardrobes coming into summer here. Thankfully the youngest will be in uniforms too after next term but in the meantime, she has no shorts! One pair of size 3, she's a 5 now... the older one seems to be getting 2 seasons out of summer stuff atm, loves long maxi dresses, so that helps.

Been an expensive medical month though, DD9 confirmed with whoopng cough and RSV, shell out for rather expensive antibiotics. DD5 now down, looks like just the virus though, her swab was negative for whooping cough. So lots of doctor visits and DH is off tomorrow too on an unrelated issue. Savings though, we can't go out for at least 5 days! Garden prep done for when we get some top dressing for the lawn on the weekend. Lots of home cooking too, can't even go out for a coffee unless it is drive through!

Still a number of competing demands for the spare cash DH is bringing in. I'd rather pay down some big chunks of debt, DH wants to go slow and steady and use it to offset our more frugal day to day living. Case in point, $500 special outdoor setting for sale this weekend. We have a huge alfresco area and 2 camp chairs on it currently. DH wants the furniture, I want to pan a chunk off the one cc we have left.

Just got word from work that as a building, we are still down almost 100 people from being fully staffed. Originally during the new realignment, we were going to lose 7 of our stores we supply, so the shortage wasn't an issue. Suddenly, we're now keeping those 7 and ADDING 18 more stores. I've been fairly consistently working an extra day every week, but it sounds a lot like they will be moving towards mandatory overtime by next month as the holiday season approaches. Which leaves me with kind of a predicament. After all the issues with my grant money for school, I think I need to withdraw this semester. There's no way I can keep up with that and pick up 2 extra days a week of work for the next 3 months. I have to make a decision quick because the withdraw deadline is getting close.

Just got word from work that as a building, we are still down almost 100 people from being fully staffed. Originally during the new realignment, we were going to lose 7 of our stores we supply, so the shortage wasn't an issue. Suddenly, we're now keeping those 7 and ADDING 18 more stores. I've been fairly consistently working an extra day every week, but it sounds a lot like they will be moving towards mandatory overtime by next month as the holiday season approaches. Which leaves me with kind of a predicament. After all the issues with my grant money for school, I think I need to withdraw this semester. There's no way I can keep up with that and pick up 2 extra days a week of work for the next 3 months. I have to make a decision quick because the withdraw deadline is getting close.

That stinks! I think overtime is nice when it is an option but mandatory gets old really quick!

I have mentioned before that we are going to Disney twice next year (I know it's not real budget friendly, but it's planned). In March we are staying off property and then in December we will stay on. We are looking at renting DVC points. We are currently booked at Port Orleans French Quarter and it is $2999 for the room only. I wanted to rent Boardwalk for $1900 but in December with Star Wars being open I am not sure that is going to be available. I typed out all the resorts and the current point price so we could look at our options. Staying at Bay Lake in a theme park view room is a dream of mine. Renting points for it is only $3500 which is not much more than our Port Orleans reservation. My husband thinks we should go for it and check it off the bucket list. I am being responsible and saying no. We need to spend less not more. As I cry at my desk about it I will also pat myself on the back for being responsible LOL.

I have mentioned before that we are going to Disney twice next year (I know it's not real budget friendly, but it's planned). In March we are staying off property and then in December we will stay on. We are looking at renting DVC points. We are currently booked at Port Orleans French Quarter and it is $2999 for the room only. I wanted to rent Boardwalk for $1900 but in December with Star Wars being open I am not sure that is going to be available. I typed out all the resorts and the current point price so we could look at our options. Staying at Bay Lake in a theme park view room is a dream of mine. Renting points for it is only $3500 which is not much more than our Port Orleans reservation. My husband thinks we should go for it and check it off the bucket list. I am being responsible and saying no. We need to spend less not more. As I cry at my desk about it I will also pat myself on the back for being responsible LOL.

Enabler alert :)

It was always a dream of mine to stay in the Contemporary. Something about that MK view and walking to MK just drew me in. I always considered it out of budget also. This past summer we took a splurge and booked two nights in a Garden view room, and while I was excited, I just really wanted that MK view. So we did it. We splurged for the castle at night from our balcony. And to me - it was worth every.single.penny. I knew good and well if we go back for a full week's trip, it's out of the question. And that will be hard. But I'm so glad we did it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts