Debt Dumpers - 2018

I think we are going to have to cut satellite for a while. At $120/month, it's just eating away at what little money we have every month.

So, for anyone who has made the cut, what streaming devices do you have? We have hotspots on our phones with (truly) unlimited data at 4g speeds, so I'm hoping that works to stream what we want. I'm hoping for something that offers food network, travel channel, discovery, Disney channel and a lot of sports. Does this exist? I really don't want to have to cancel, but it's looking like it's going to cost too much to keep.

My parents use Sling through Roku, and I'm pretty sure it has all of what you're looking for. They do pay a bit extra for an added sports package, but it's still very reasonable (not sure of the exact amount they pay). The only time it seems to struggle with streaming is if there's a storm happening, but it works great besides that!

My parents use Sling through Roku, and I'm pretty sure it has all of what you're looking for. They do pay a bit extra for an added sports package, but it's still very reasonable (not sure of the exact amount they pay). The only time it seems to struggle with streaming is if there's a storm happening, but it works great besides that!

Well, the losing streaming during a storm is about even with losing satellite signal during one. Lol.
Dh bought a roof antenna at BJ's which are no longer the huge metal tree looking things we had as kids. (Well, I had as a kid! lol) It looked like approx 2 dinner plates that were attached.
I remember those giant metal contraptions. Haha. We had one too. We will definitely look into one of them too. We're about 7 miles from Tulsa, so I'm guessing we will have great reception.

I think we are going to have to cut satellite for a while. At $120/month, it's just eating away at what little money we have every month.

So, for anyone who has made the cut, what streaming devices do you have? We have hotspots on our phones with (truly) unlimited data at 4g speeds, so I'm hoping that works to stream what we want. I'm hoping for something that offers food network, travel channel, discovery, Disney channel and a lot of sports. Does this exist? I really don't want to have to cancel, but it's looking like it's going to cost too much to keep.

If you're still going to have internet service, look into Hulu, YoutubeTV, etc. I switched over to Hulu with Live TV last summer and I made sure I could get all my channels before switching. For $40/month plus taxes, I get my sports channels, Food Network, HGTV, etc. You can also add on premium channels. If you look at their website online, you can type in your zip code and it will give you a list of the channels that would be available to you. I'm talking to my mom about switching her service since she mostly just watches the local news. You still get all the regular Hulu stuff too.

Well, the losing streaming during a storm is about even with losing satellite signal during one. Lol.

I remember those giant metal contraptions. Haha. We had one too. We will definitely look into one of them too. We're about 7 miles from Tulsa, so I'm guessing we will have great reception.
We didn't do the antenna experiment very long when the tree fell on our house and it was crushed.
We'll try again.

I'm not a huge tv watcher in general but my husband is, and I truly thought we could never cut our dish service. However, we finally did and switched to Sling and have had zero issues. We love that we can customize it on a whim (my DH is a huge college basketball fan, so we keep the Sports package from September to March and drop it, and save $5 a month in the summer... hey, every bit helps). I also love that in a crunch, we can cancel the service all together since there are no commitments. We currently pay $31 a month. We also pay $10ish for Netflix, but at $41 it was still so much cheaper than our Dish service was.

Just found out last night the alternator on my car is going out. So this is an expense that I wasn't really planning on. According to the guy at Auto Zone it should be a relatively easy fix for my DH to do himself, which is I think the route we're going to go. We're also looking into switching car/home insurance companies from Allstate to possibly Ameriprise through Costco. From what I could tell just now it looks like we'd get cheaper/better coverage through Costco than we're currently getting through Allstate. Plus I absolutely hate our Allstate insurance guy.

Maybe I'm totally reading it wrong, but it appears you paid $4240 for 2 rooms on RCL and $3974 for just 1 room on DCL?
Yes because RC rooms are very small and we would have only saved around $200 to cram us into one cabin, so it would have been around $4040 for 1 cabin.
Keep in mind the 2 RC cabins were the cheapest inside cabins wer could get and the cruise was only 5 nts.
The Disney cabin had a large porthole window for a 7 nt cruise over Thanksgiving only a few months earlier. I was expecting RC to be much cheaper because it was a shorter cruise and an inside cabin.

Last edited:
Yes because RC rooms are very small and we would have only saved around $200 to cram us into one cabin, so it would have been around $4240 for 1 cabin.
Keep in mind the 2 RC cabins were the cheapest inside cabins wer could get and the cruise was only 5 nts.
The Disney cabin had a large pirthole window for a 7 nt cruise over Thanksgiving only a few months earlier. I was expecting RC to be much cheaper because it was a shorter cruise and an inside cabin.
The third and forth person in a single stateroom is almost always cheaper through then having two people in two staterooms.

The third and forth person in a single stateroom is almost always cheaper through then having two people in two staterooms.
Yes on DCL it is significant savings for any 3rd and 4th passengers. On this particular Bermuda cruise it only would have saved around $200 or $100 per child.
To me it wasn’t worth the savings. RC’s small interior cabins are only 150 sq ft. We were used to DCL’s window cabins which are 214 sq ft which is tight enough.

Yes on DCL it is significant savings for any 3rd and 4th passengers. On this particular Bermuda cruise it only would have saved around $200 or $100 per child.
To me it wasn’t worth the savings. RC’s small interior cabins are only 150 sq ft. We were used to DCL’s window cabins which are 214 sq ft which is tight enough.

But you still got 2 cabins for the price of one ;) (I understand it wasn't quite apples to apples, but nowadays, DCL is generally twice the cost)

I haven't had four in a cabin before, but I would imagine it would be tight no matter what ship

But you still got 2 cabins for the price of one ;) (I understand it wasn't quite apples to apples, but nowadays, DCL is generally twice the cost)

I haven't had four in a cabin before, but I would imagine it would be tight no matter what ship

It’s really not comparing apples to apples. The RC cabin was way inferior to the DCL cabin and we had it for a shorter time. We usually don’t want or NEED 2 cabins on DCL.
Going from 214 to 150 sq ft almost required us to get 2. That is 30% less space. Also since they barely discount children there wasnt much reason to cram in one room.

Let’s just say we had chosen the $200 savings and stayed in one cabin. The total would have been $4040.
For a 5 nt cruise that is $808 per night for a smaller inside cabin.
7 nights in the Disney cabin = $567 per night for a window cabin. And this was a major holiday week!

Since it would have been miserable in a tiny room and we were already being gouged, we paid slightly more, $848/nt, to have a livable amount of space. Even then, 2 RC cabins COMBINED is only 28% more space than one window cabin on Disney, not 100% more. So yes we had a little bit more space than we were used to having, but it’s not double the space. And no window.

Disney cabins are very much meant for families. A family with 2 children can fit comfortably in one room. We did it for years until they became teens.

Anyway, one thing we can agree on is that DCL prices have increased a lot in 10 yrs. Still, we try to always book the first day of release and use the onboard booking discount to keep it as low as possible. We also get $400 in onboard credits per cabin: $200 from Disney and $200 from our TA which helps. If we don’t spend it all we can buy a Disney gift card onboard to use up the credits and apply to the next cruise.

It’s not cheap so if you would be just as happy on another line, then do what works for you. ;)

We get the keys to our new apartment this weekend or Monday! I'm excited but also so nervous. We have a fund specifically set aside for all of the expenses associated with this, but it's still so hard to actually drain our account and part with the money. I just keep having to tell myself "This is what it's for, this is what we saved it for."

In good news, speaking of DCL, we get to do our onboard check in tonight! I'm thinking of booking Remy with some cc rewards we've had saved, but I can't decide if I want to do that this year versus maybe on a trip next year if we can go again.

I'm also getting ready to start looking for part time work! i'm so excited but also nervous since Ive been out of the workforce for nearly a year. I just want something on weekends for now and maybe one evening, so it'll probably be retail, but I'm fine with that! As long as it helps us to be able to take at least a long weekend away every year while still saving for our home that's good enough for me!

It’s really not comparing apples to apples. The RC cabin was way inferior to the DCL cabin and we had it for a shorter time. We usually don’t want or NEED 2 cabins on DCL.
Going from 214 to 150 sq ft almost required us to get 2. That is 30% less space. Also since they barely discount children there wasnt much reason to cram in one room.

Let’s just say we had chosen the $200 savings and stayed in one cabin. The total would have been $4040.
For a 5 nt cruise that is $808 per night for a smaller inside cabin.
7 nights in the Disney cabin = $567 per night for a window cabin. And this was a major holiday week!

Since it would have been miserable in a tiny room and we were already being gouged, we paid slightly more, $848/nt, to have a livable amount of space. Even then, 2 RC cabins COMBINED is only 28% more space than one window cabin on Disney, not 100% more. So yes we had a little bit more space than we were used to having, but it’s not double the space. And no window.

Disney cabins are very much meant for families. A family with 2 children can fit comfortably in one room. We did it for years until they became teens.

Anyway, one thing we can agree on is that DCL prices have increased a lot in 10 yrs. Still, we try to always book the first day of release and use the onboard booking discount to keep it as low as possible. We also get $400 in onboard credits per cabin: $200 from Disney and $200 from our TA which helps. If we don’t spend it all we can buy a Disney gift card onboard to use up the credits and apply to the next cruise.

It’s not cheap so if you would be just as happy on another line, then do what works for you. ;)

Yes with the increase of ships etc, the other lines have def got more competitive in their pricing. We were on HAL’s Volendam inside last year - I think it was 141 and have done RCL’s freedom inside which is 150 - we found Volendams a bit small as we needed a playpen for baby. I’m surprised at the small savings for 3/4 passengers- nice now as you can often see 3rd/4thd travel free.

I hope to sail on DCL again if we can get say a really good VGT, but even those seem pricey compared to the equivalent on other lines...hard sell to my DH who would rather add park time

Great news!
  1. Was able to secure ALL of our ADR's for December.
  2. DH's check had an extra $500 of OT pay (he really is following through!)
  3. Decided to cancel the conference and use it towards the December trip--and I feel so excited about it! Definitely the right choice.
  4. Going to update the budget today and look at an extra payment toward the CC. Just a little one, but every bit helps.
  5. It's Friday!

We're also looking into switching car/home insurance companies from Allstate to possibly Ameriprise through Costco. From what I could tell just now it looks like we'd get cheaper/better coverage through Costco than we're currently getting through Allstate. Plus I absolutely hate our Allstate insurance guy.

I'm planning on insurance shopping too, but just for auto and renter's as we no longer own a home but rent. We are moving and I'm scared of what the price will go up to since we are going to a large metropolitan area. We've been using USAA for years, but I was planning on shopping Geico, Allstate, StateFarm, and Progressive. I hadn't thought of looking at Costco. we don't have one here, but we will when we move so I'll add that on to check for quotes. Thanks for mentioning.

we get to do our onboard check in tonight!
Exciting!!! I so want to try out the Dream!

So, we have decided our short summer family trip is to Orlando, but we are not planning on doing Disney or Universal (which are the only things we have ever done there in the past). Any suggestions on your favorite things to do? Just me, husband, and DS13. Thurs-Mon, end of July. We will have a car available. Neither of them are fans of overly scheduled trips and will prefer to stay by the pool for the majority of the time, but I’d like a few ideas to have because I can only lounge for so long. Also, if you know of any good burger joints, my husband is always looking for somewhere new to try.

Any suggestions on your favorite things to do? J

My friend has been to Discovery Cove a few times and loved it, although it's pricey. We've been to Sea World a few times there. We have also driven out to Kennedy Space Center from Orlando about an hour drive. If they want to stay by the pool though maybe better to stay in Orlando at a super great hotel with an awesome pool? I wonder if Orlando has a cool downtown area? I've never looked but maybe there may be some good restaurants in a downtown type setting? You could go to Disney Springs for some restaurants even though not staying at Disney unless totally avoiding all things Disney this trip.

The best pool(s) in Orlando (or just about anywhere else) can be found at the Hyatt Grand Cypress hotel. Very quick car ride to Disney Springs if you like to eat there. With a car, you can eat anywhere, though, if you are naysaying anything Disney this time.

The hotel food is very good but not cheap. They have a very cute poolside restaurant. Kayaking, canoeing, paddle boating, golfing all right there at the hotel. But the pool! Omg. There are several but they are all connected. Some are heated, others are not. One is large but very secluded. The fitness room looks out onto this cave-like connecting water passage between two of the pools. Beautifully lit up at night, we saw the MK fireworks from our room. Pool is open all night, I believe. There are two hot tubs, one big slide. Free fruit-infused water in pitchers with cups placed around the pool complex. Waiters will come up to your lounge chairs for drink or food orders. We just went up and sat in the breezy, shady little tropical hut cafe to eat. Fish tacos were wonderful.
We cabbed it to Sweet Tomatoes a couple of times, but it sounds like that little shopping area is being torn down--don't know when.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter