Debt Dumpers - 2019

who knows-you could end up saving on the deal. pancakes/waffles are among the least expensive foods to make (learned this on a cooking show) and are quick and easy so..............if in a pinch for dinner you opt to make mickey waffles vs. getting fast food you are probably many dollars ahead.

i watch the ads for a sale and grab a few cans of pie filling to keep on the shelf for waffles. it might be apple or blueberry (or both b/c the stuff freezes well for the leftovers). it's a heck of allot less expensive than a trip to ihop.

I've never thought about using pie filling on waffles/pancakes. :scratchin I'll need to keep this in the back of my brain. I only ever eat waffles/pancakes with fruit. I'm not a fan of syrup.

Whereas my DD uses gallons per year...

I can't WAIT to make them these waffles as a surprise! Maybe it'll be here before her graduation next week.

I guess she uses my share. ;)

I'm off to see Aladdin on "Broadway" tonight (at our community theater downtown) and off to Texas tomorrow for the long weekend. I hope everyone has a safe and fun long weekend!

@Shughart you are the best!!!! Thank you for the DM! If my order goes through, my first batch of waffles will be in your honor. :hug: :thanks:

I am humbled @grumpy28 !

So tempting! But I don't have any $ right now to spend on this. GRRRRR.

Not going to lie, it took all the rest of my discretionary/allowance until June 15, PLUS I am going to have to give up the check ($25) that my Grandma gives me for my birthday (in 2 weeks) to make up the rest, but there was no way I could skip it with how long I've been watching for it.

BEST DAY EVER!!! My order went through. I'm going to not pull the 401k next week to pay for it!!! I was having a seriously craptastic day at work and this made it allllll better. Thank you so much @Shughart !

I'm sorry for your craptastic day, but glad this helped fix it @imbatman !

We will be going to Columbus over the long weekend. Plans to go to the zoo/aquarium, conservatory and children's museum. In preparation for our trip, I purchased an annual pass to our local children's museum because it gives us free admission to COSI as well the Toronto Science Centre that we plan to visit next month. I also bought an annual pass to the Toledo Zoo which gives us 50% discounts in Columbus and Toronto too. I booked us at a hotel with a full kitchen, free breakfast, free parking, a pool and near lots of restaurants. We are taking along food to make sandwiches for packed lunches and pasta to make dinner one of the nights. Planning to eat out two of the other nights. Bird sitter expenses need to be paid as well, but overall it should be a reasonably affordable mini-break. I am excited.

And I also bought tickets for Disney on Ice in December. We will get home from WDW on a Thursday and then have the show on Sunday, so it will be a very Disney filled week. I was excited to see that Moana and Coco will be featured this year.

And the reason that I can't buy myself a Mickey waffle maker is because I have borrowed forward several months on my allowance and am trying to be really strict with regards to not going more in debt to myself. DH has also borrowed several months ahead as well because he bought himself a new bike. If I stay on budget, I should be paid off and have access to my full allowance just in time for our October WDW trip. :headache:

Other than that, we have been doing pretty well on the budget. We went over a bit on the gas budget and hit the limit on our grocery budget as well. I plan to make up the difference with some per diem money from some work travel that I have coming up. The trailer loan is now down to $10,800. I still have about $200 pending from Swagbucks and I anticipate having about $1k in extra per diem money over the next 3 months that I plan to put towards the trailer, so we should be well below $10k by the end of the summer.

The basement is getting closer to completion. We are waiting on the countertop for the wet bar and then the builder will be able to tile the backsplash in the kitchen and wet bar. Then we will just need to have the flooring installed, install the closet organizers and move everything back into place. I can't wait to finally have a place to sew again. It has felt really hard not having access to my hobby. I ordered a bunch of cute knits for sewing up some matching summer family pajamas as well as shirts, leggings, and dresses for DD.

-Waffle maker looks great! Waffles are my favorite breakfast item-Belgian waffles, and if at Disney than I always want to look for a Mickey waffle! I saw the Mickey ice cream bar in the Giant the other day, the box was I think $7.99. I don't like those type of bars (I know, for shame!) but next time I go through the freezer aisle I'll see how many come in a box! Just curious. I finally made it over to Whole Foods on another note, now they have some expensive ice cream there!

We will be going to Columbus over the long weekend. Plans to go to the zoo/aquarium, conservatory and children's museum. In preparation for our trip, I purchased an annual pass to our local children's museum because it gives us free admission to COSI as well the Toronto Science Centre that we plan to visit next month. I also bought an annual pass to the Toledo Zoo which gives us 50% discounts in Columbus and Toronto too. I booked us at a hotel with a full kitchen, free breakfast, free parking, a pool and near lots of restaurants. We are taking along food to make sandwiches for packed lunches and pasta to make dinner one of the nights. Planning to eat out two of the other nights. Bird sitter expenses need to be paid as well, but overall it should be a reasonably affordable mini-break. I am excited.
That sounds like a great long weekend! I imagine a lot of people heading out of town this weekend. We are hanging out, DH has his barbecue menu plan the whole weekend, and will use the pool pass we just paid for summer!

I saw the Mickey ice cream bar in the Giant the other day, the box was I think $7.99. I don't like those type of bars (I know, for shame!) but next time I go through the freezer aisle I'll see how many come in a box! Just curious.
They are 6 to a box. We bought some last week. Though i prefer the Ice Cream sandwiches :)

Congrats @imbatman! That's so great! Also, add me to the list of people who would be interested in reading if/when you'd feel like sharing :)
And I totally understand being excited about your debt goals. I like that we can share that all on here with each other :D I like posting my actual numbers here too to help keep me accountable.

@Shughart thanks for the heads up on the waffle maker! I ordered one and now am ready to fight with them over my $20 credit not working (from a previous order issue - not sure why it bounces back as invalid or $0 balance :()

I saw the Mickey ice cream bar in the Giant the other day, the box was I think $7.99.
We were all bummed last Sunday and just wanted a Disney fix. Like a "wish we were walking in DL or WDW" fix instead of walking the grocery aisles. Funny thing is that WDW came up in the freezer aisle and I saw the Mickey ice cream bars!! So, we went home, turned on some park music and ate our ice cream. :daisy:

Remember that "my brother didn't pay his portion and backed out" fiasco? Still ongoing. We'd bought his ticket through a reputable third-party vendor (ours worked great), but that vendor wouldn't refund. I can't complain there because they say that up front. When we went to the park, I took my brother's unused, unassigned ticket and got a hard ticket. Nothing more terrifying than carrying a 7-day park hopper in your pocket all day (in hindsight, I should've taken it back to the room, but it was my first WDW and I wasn't giving it up for him). I'd forgotten all about it until yesterday when I had to get into my safe (had to get DD's SS card for college). I called this morning and it expires in January 2020. I can't afford to go that soon and I'm kinda crushed. They said that I can use the amount on there towards the purchase of new tickets in the future, but I'm worried it won't go through. It's the brother curse. Anyways, I'm lamenting the unused ticket in my safe this morning. In the future, if it works toward a new ticket, I'll jump for joy! If not, I'll curse my brother again. Jack wagon...

But happy Friday to you all! God bless our veterans and the ones who gave their lives in services. :love:

Remember that "my brother didn't pay his portion and backed out" fiasco? Still ongoing. We'd bought his ticket through a reputable third-party vendor (ours worked great), but that vendor wouldn't refund. I can't complain there because they say that up front. When we went to the park, I took my brother's unused, unassigned ticket and got a hard ticket. Nothing more terrifying than carrying a 7-day park hopper in your pocket all day (in hindsight, I should've taken it back to the room, but it was my first WDW and I wasn't giving it up for him). I'd forgotten all about it until yesterday when I had to get into my safe (had to get DD's SS card for college). I called this morning and it expires in January 2020. I can't afford to go that soon and I'm kinda crushed. They said that I can use the amount on there towards the purchase of new tickets in the future, but I'm worried it won't go through. It's the brother curse. Anyways, I'm lamenting the unused ticket in my safe this morning. In the future, if it works toward a new ticket, I'll jump for joy! If not, I'll curse my brother again. Jack wagon...

if you're talking about disney saying they will honor it towards a future purchase-you should be good. what you've posted is what their site reads as (it goes into great detail you can refer to). we are going on a universal vacation next december but may opt to do one day at disney, if we do ds will be using up the last day on one of the old non-expiring tickets we bought when he was 6 or 7. we used some days when we initially bought them and were pleasantly surprised that despite being a teenager on our last trip disney (for those tickets) looks at the age the person was when the ticket was purchased and first used. so since ds was around 7 back then he still qualifies as a 7 year old for that ticket's usage:rotfl:(he'll be 23 when we travel). you should be able to put the purchase price towards a future purchase since it was never activated.

if you're talking about disney saying they will honor it towards a future purchase-you should be good. ... you should be able to put the purchase price towards a future purchase since it was never activated.
Hurray!!! Let's hope my brother's curse doesn't thwart the system. Until the next trip, it's tucked into my safe. Thanks @barkley

It's been a bit since I've checked in. Life has been busy!

Currently just putting money towards the wedding and paying our last few debts. I picked up some overtime earlier this week, not much, but since I normally get 33 hours a week and this got me over 40, I'm pretty happy. Gonna throw it all at the DJ/photographer and try to get that paid off by next month so all we will have left is the venue (which includes the food).

We also just got schedule changes (finally!!). I could cry I'm so happy. Since we are going to second shift, we both offered to help our current shifts out after our shift gets done. We will start at 2pm and can stay until 3:30am. That's going to get us both quite a bit of extra hours.

The last 4 days have been awful here. Storms, several tornadoes within a mile from our house, massive flooding... And it just won't quit. So many people have lost absolutely everything. So many more are about to lose what they couldn't run with. I'm thinking of taking $50 from my next check and going to the dollar store and buying toiletries, snacks, etc.

And I also bought tickets for Disney on Ice in December. We will get home from WDW on a Thursday and then have the show on Sunday, so it will be a very Disney filled week. I was excited to see that Moana and Coco will be featured this year.

And the reason that I can't buy myself a Mickey waffle maker is because I have borrowed forward several months on my allowance and am trying to be really strict with regards to not going more in debt to myself. DH has also borrowed several months ahead as well because he bought himself a new bike. If I stay on budget, I should be paid off and have access to my full allowance just in time for our October WDW trip. :headache:

Other than that, we have been doing pretty well on the budget. We went over a bit on the gas budget and hit the limit on our grocery budget as well. I plan to make up the difference with some per diem money from some work travel that I have coming up. The trailer loan is now down to $10,800. I still have about $200 pending from Swagbucks and I anticipate having about $1k in extra per diem money over the next 3 months that I plan to put towards the trailer, so we should be well below $10k by the end of the summer.

The basement is getting closer to completion. We are waiting on the countertop for the wet bar and then the builder will be able to tile the backsplash in the kitchen and wet bar. Then we will just need to have the flooring installed, install the closet organizers and move everything back into place. I can't wait to finally have a place to sew again. It has felt really hard not having access to my hobby. I ordered a bunch of cute knits for sewing up some matching summer family pajamas as well as shirts, leggings, and dresses for DD.

I was wondering about your dear bird! I thought maybe family took care of him/her.

Wow- I was going through Disboard withdrawal. They look awesome now and I can't wait to explore!

It's been quite a week here. I started feeling sick on Sunday and by Monday I was really feeling poorly. I probably should have called out but I knew I was going to be out Wednesday and Friday. At 8:20- ten minutes into my first class my mom texted me that my grandmother passed away. She was my dad's mom and while we weren't close at all I feel bad for my dad. I don't have a family member on my side within 1500 miles of me and the whole clan (which will total about six people!!) will be descending on me because she is going to be buried near where I live. It's very stressful because my parents don't handle stress well and they have to drive because they refuse to fly. At least everyone is staying in a hotel. I haven't seen my uncle since my wedding day in 1996! I only have three cousins and I don't think any of them are making the trip. Gonna be one empty cathedral.

DD's wrist still hurts but I think it is getting better. She is officially done with high school!! She has graduation practice on Wednesday and I had to call the school to make sure they would let her go to get home in time to change to get to the funeral. Should be OK. She has her awards ceremony Wednesday along with her Baccalaureate Mass on Friday. Graduation is Monday, June 3rd. The only thing she has asked for is a yard sign- found a super cute one at Party City and she is happy with it.

I can tell I am stressed because I am spending money like it is going out of style. I went to Kohl’s on Wednesday and spent $130 and took DD to DSW for graduation shoes that cost $60. I had been promising her that we could go to Boscov’s and the mall. Spent close to $400. I rationalize it by the fact she wore a uniform from preK-12 and really does need clothes. Plus with her going to school in Florida she needs more summer clothes than winter! She also went grocery shopping with me and helped me spend $40 over budget. At least she will stop asking me what to eat for lunch and dinner.

The other thing I spend money on this week was I decided that I simply had to ride Hagrid’s new coaster. We are going to do a quick trip to Universal and stay at the Royal Pacific for two nights. For the discount I got on the room I have to buy her an annual pass. I’m not sure if I will get one or just a ticket. Decisions decisions.

I don’t want to hurry up time but I am really looking forward to this week being over with.

Hey there just checking in. I’ve spent tons of money on food this weekend to make sure family coming in for graduation has plenty to eat. Call it the Jewish mother curse, lol, you never think you have enough food. I ordered sandwich platters from the supermarket for Wed and Thurs because we have DS18’s senior awards and then graduation in the early evenings and no time to go out for dinner. I have a feeling we’ll have tons leftover but it will be easy at any rate. DS16 went back to work today as a lifeguard and said he’ll bring tons of sandwiches with him next weekend, lol. Hope everyone is having fun this weekend.

Last edited:
I see the boards have a new look, in some ways I like it in other ways I don't. Seems like a lot of the ad from the middle of messages went away and are place elsewhere, I like that. But then the posts all look, I don't know, large? Takes up a lot of space from left to right? Oh well, getting used to the new look.

I miss the pale yellow background that the messages appeared on, and the messages being separated by the light blue. That was very easy on the eyes. The font size was a little bigger, too--not much but a tad. All of that made for relaxing reading and something different than most of the 'net. I liked it.

I see the boards have a new look, in some ways I like it in other ways I don't. Seems like a lot of the ad from the middle of messages went away and are place elsewhere, I like that. But then the posts all look, I don't know, large? Takes up a lot of space from left to right? Oh well, getting used to the new look.
I find this new look easier to read on my iPad. Haven’t tried it on the computer yet.

I find this new look easier to read on my iPad. Haven’t tried it on the computer yet.
I haven't tried it on my iPad, just on the computer. My iPad I mainly use for watching Amazon or Netflix because it is old and locks up if doing any type of web browsing. I haven't tried my phone yet, but only browse on that if waiting around somewhere like for a doc appointment or for kids to get done at practice. So, on the computer it will just take some more time to get used to, hard to get used to new things sometimes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter