Debt Dumpers 2020

Hey guys, don't forget to check your state's sites for unclaimed funds. I do a couple of times a year and while I always come up snake eyes, the DH has a $24 check. My mom, however, has nearly $100 in gift cards.
I have an interesting story to go along with that! About 5 years ago when my father was still alive, I remembered he had told me when my DD was a baby he had opened up an account for her. Well, that was some 20 plus years ago that time period. Anyway, on a call a few years ago, I asked him on the phone whatever happened to that account I remembered he said he opened for her, he said I'm sorry, but something about it going dormant as he never made any more transactions and some time limit had passed and he said once he called a long time ago, and they told him the account time limit passed and the account closed (he was in his 80s and had some memory issues setting in, so I didn't press him any more than that original question).

I tried to call the company for DD I remember him saying he opened it in, but since my name wasn't on, they couldn't give me information. Well, I looked it up on unclaimed funds in PA, and sure enough, found him there with that company. I told DD to contact the unclaimed funds in PA and work it all out, sure enough she an owner on the account (I think it was an UGMA or an UTMA), and after a few months ended up with $2,000 from the fund that had supposedly closed and went to the state of PA unclaimed property.

Oh, my! Now, I looked my mom up, as she moved to my state in 2004. She is listed, too, from the Dept. BMV, for a claim of "less than $25.00 Mom passed away five years ago. I saw that I can list my relationship as "Heir, Small Estate" so I did. But then comes the page where you have to fill out all your info (I just did this a few minutes ago to claim my $30). Would I fill out mine again, or my mom's? There is no where I see now where I can say that she is deceased. Maybe the money just stays there if the person has died?

Oh, my! Now, I looked my mom up, as she moved to my state in 2004. She is listed, too, from the Dept. BMV, for a claim of "less than $25.00 Mom passed away five years ago. I saw that I can list my relationship as "Heir, Small Estate" so I did. But then comes the page where you have to fill out all your info (I just did this a few minutes ago to claim my $30). Would I fill out mine again, or my mom's? There is no where I see now where I can say that she is deceased. Maybe the money just stays there if the person has died?
Not sure. Depends on the state, there may be a next of kin form. My mom (who is also passed) has some little things sitting out there on the unclaimed funds sites in two states. I recognize her old car insurance company, old utility company, things like that. She retired, then moved states in retirement and she probably never followed up. I'm leaving it, I had done alot of work helping out a sibling with her other things this year after our mom passed. I did a lot of work this year helping out my sibling collect on some random little insurances left only to them you might see with a credit union or other thing or other such place like senior organizations, my mom apparently did a couple (or my sibling did, for all I know) and she left it to my sibling, they are really small amounts. She didn't have a retirement past a small lump sum, used it to buy her little place and nothing left over, and then lived on social security. I don't know how she did it, but she did very frugally.

Blasphemy
Tom riddle is lord voldemort from Harry Potter. 😊
Tom riddle is lord voldemort from Harry Potter.

I think that needed a spoiler alert:D:D
Voldemort.
I think the statute of limitations on Harry Potter spoilers has been up for a few years now.
**hasn't read Harry Potter and still isn't mad about spoilers** Yes, yes, I'll get to them eventually.

Yes, I confess. I've never read the HP books. :guilty:
I've only seen part of the first movie. I have been to HP areas of USO several times and the theming was amazing but I'm sure a million little details were lost on me. I went there simply to make my kids and niece happy.

I've only seen part of the first movie. I have been to HP areas of USO several times and the theming was amazing but I'm sure a million little details were lost on me. I went there simply to make my kids and niece happy.

This is me too! And I could skip the HP part of the parks and be totally happy. It's not my thing.

You and me both. I read the first book years ago for a book club, it was not my thing. Have not read any more, and have not watched the movies but I agree about the HP areas of Universal being amazing even to a nonreader. My kids have read and seen them all though.

Last edited:
i've never read any of the books either BUT my household is in possession of the the full set only because i had an inkling when when the first book came out. dh couldn't understand why i bought the first and then second, storing them away in one of our many bookcases, after all-the kids were toddlers and i have no interest in fantasy books. i told him that i had heard good things about the first and grabbed it on a lark, then by the time the second came out the word on the street was they were great so i thought 'maybe these will be for my kid's generation what the 'little house' books were for mine'. i continued collecting them all. dh just shook his head as i gathered book after book-until the first movie came out after which-HE WAS HOOKED. my oldest child has read and reread them countless times.

The new Christmas lockdown rules for my part of the UK (no household mixing other than "support bubbles") mean that Christmas just changed a lot. We had been going to my sister-in-law's with my widowed mum and my husband's widowed dad. My sister-in-law provides the food, we provide the wine. There is generally a lot of wine drunk.

We have bought the wine. She has not bought the food.

We are now just going to be with my mum and I now need to sort out getting food. I am not looking forward to the scrum that shops will now become for all the various families hastily trying to deal with the last minute changes. I had better make sure I am ready to wait outside in long lines again when I go shopping. We aren't wedded to having turkey, so I will just see what I can get.

However, on a bit of good news my mum, who is 86, has her first dose vaccination tomorrow afternoon which is good. Apparently the second dose is in about 3 weeks but we will get the details nearer the time.

I took the plunge this morning and opened a 0%/12 mos. and zero transfer fee CC from my credit union (where my emergency fund is housed) to save nearly $800 in interest until CC #2 is paid off! I so wanna do a cha-cha dance, since this is not a banana dance moment. I have excellent credit, so I'm not too worried about a ding. Also, they have a reward system for either cash or travel. What am I going to do?! Rework that final snowball!
Last minute 2020 frustration: seeing a $134 finance charge for balance transfer fee. Called and talked with the credit union and my application had it as 2%. Upset at myself for a loss of $134, but still saving about $625. Consider this a lesson learned. :sad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!