Debt Dumpers 2020

So we pulled the trigger today on a highlander. Not the the black on black 2017 I had been waiting to see, but instead on a 2016 grey hybrid with black interior. It's not the color I want (but dh likes it), and it's missing the digital speedometer that I want, but overall it's a really nice vehicle. Our payments are a bit more than I wanted, but that's because we opted to add on gap insurance and the extended warranty. We've never owned a hybrid so I liked the idea of having the extended warranty for anything that may go wrong.

Its gonna take me some time to get used to having a push start and not having to put a key in or take one out lol.

Congrats!!!
Don't worry, it won't take long to get used to push start. :thumbsup2 Mine has push button shifter too and I thought that would be hard to adjust but really didn't.
What is taking me the longest, is using the back up camera. I am so used to turning around and looking directly. I always worry about relying on technology for driving. The cross traffic alert occasionally beeps when nothing is there or doesn't beep when I know a car is coming as I back out of my driveway. It's just not reliable enough yet for me. Maybe it's just my car, I don't know.

Congrats @pblack! So glad that you were able to find a vehicle that is pretty much what you wanted and at a price you can afford.

I bought my DD her first car last month and was really happy that the same things worked out for me, as they did you. Car buying can be very stressful, but this was not--which I appreciated!

So we pulled the trigger today on a highlander. Not the the black on black 2017 I had been waiting to see, but instead on a 2016 grey hybrid with black interior. It's not the color I want (but dh likes it), and it's missing the digital speedometer that I want, but overall it's a really nice vehicle. Our payments are a bit more than I wanted, but that's because we opted to add on gap insurance and the extended warranty. We've never owned a hybrid so I liked the idea of having the extended warranty for anything that may go wrong.

Its gonna take me some time to get used to having a push start and not having to put a key in or take one out lol.
Congrats! The Highlander is one of my car choices I liked when car shopping. I hope you enjoy it!

Well, after 4 hours on hold this morning, I got my hotel reservations at WDW modified to after they reopen. Now, I have to figure out how to reserve a park day. :confused: I was told to expect an email in the next weeks.

I am not going crazy. I am not over-spending. But I am celebrating, and I am going to enjoy myself. Eventually.

I think a celebration is definitely warranted.
I find it easy to celebrate without going wild with spending.
Enjoy your trip and have fun planning it too.

Well, after 4 hours on hold this morning, I got my hotel reservations at WDW modified to after they reopen. Now, I have to figure out how to reserve a park day. :confused: I was told to expect an email in the next weeks.

I am not going crazy. I am not over-spending. But I am celebrating, and I am going to enjoy myself. Eventually.
Yes, I'd expect something will be out soon about the reservation system. Four hours, that's quite some time!

We have a generator but then that died Friday morning. It kept stalling out.
Quick question: do you store it with regular gas? You should invest in a 5 gallon container of high octane. NOT the type you buy at a gas station, but that you have to go to a fuel store to buy. It's normally $10-$12 a gallon--but don't faint! It never gunks up your generator (or lawnmowers!) and you don't have to drain it. We live where PG&E has rolling blackouts, so I talked with our small engine repairman after our generator wouldn't start and then kept stalling. Switched to the pure gold fuel and haven't had an issue since...except when I have to fill the container. :rolleyes1
a 2016 grey hybrid with black interior
Fancy! I'm glad you finally went for it!

Since Home Depot refused to take back the LVP flooring we had and half of the money went toward fixing the truck, I installed flooring in the kitchen and dining room this weekend. Almost done and I'm thrilled with the results!

Yes, I'd expect something will be out soon about the reservation system. Four hours, that's quite some time!

Yeah, the total call was 5 1/2 hours. The first time I was on hold for 15 minutes, then got transferred and was on hold for about 10 minutes, then got transferred and was on hold for over 4 hours. My roommate kept asking how long I was going to wait. I told him that they closed the phones at 10 pm CST, so I'd stay on hold until then if necessary. Luckily, it didn't take quite that long. I may have my vices, but I also have perseverance.

Quick question: do you store it with regular gas? You should invest in a 5 gallon container of high octane. NOT the type you buy at a gas station, but that you have to go to a fuel store to buy. It's normally $10-$12 a gallon--but don't faint! It never gunks up your generator (or lawnmowers!) and you don't have to drain it. We live where PG&E has rolling blackouts, so I talked with our small engine repairman after our generator wouldn't start and then kept stalling. Switched to the pure gold fuel and haven't had an issue since...except when I have to fill the container. :rolleyes1
Thanks for the tip about the special gas. It’s a dual fuel generator so it can run on gasoline or propane. Until this last storm, we only ever used propane in it because it burns cleaner and there’s less gunking up of the carburator. He always runs it until it runs out of gas before storing it.
This time, dh immediately hooked up the half-filled propane tank from our gas grill, then went out and refilled 2 other tanks at BJ’s. Before bedtime I suggested he switch to a full tank so it wouldnt run out while we sleep. The new tanks wouldnt work for some reason, by then it was 10 pm, (he gets up at 4:30am so was way past his bedtime), so he switched back to the half full tank, and in the am ran out for gasoline. It was good all day and after work we refilled the portable gas container. We refilled the generator at bedtime and all was good until the am when i plugged in the coffeemaker. In hindsight I should have unplugged the separate freezer for 10 mins while the coffee brewed. I dont know if that would have prevented it from shutting off. Dh checked the circuit breaker and kept trying to restart it. He gave up and ran out to buy us coffee. :lovestruc:love2: When I left for work we agreed that night we’ll need to get another generator. He said he’ll look into getting the old one fixed and maybe sell it. That afternoon the power returned. :cloud9:

Now would be a good time to troubleshoot all of these problems so it’s ready for the next storm. I will tell him about that special fuel.
How do you find a fuel store? Would this be something like what is used in car racing?

Thanks for the tip about the special gas. It’s a dual fuel generator so it can run on gasoline or propane. Until this last storm, we only ever used propane in it because it burns cleaner and there’s less gunking up of the carburator. He always runs it until it runs out of gas before storing it.
This time, dh immediately hooked up the half-filled propane tank from our gas grill, then went out and refilled 2 other tanks at BJ’s. Before bedtime I suggested he switch to a full tank so it wouldnt run out while we sleep. The new tanks wouldnt work for some reason, by then it was 10 pm, (he gets up at 4:30am so was way past his bedtime), so he switched back to the half full tank, and in the am ran out for gasoline. It was good all day and after work we refilled the portable gas container. We refilled the generator at bedtime and all was good until the am when i plugged in the coffeemaker. In hindsight I should have unplugged the separate freezer for 10 mins while the coffee brewed. I dont know if that would have prevented it from shutting off. Dh checked the circuit breaker and kept trying to restart it. He gave up and ran out to buy us coffee. :lovestruc:love2: When I left for work we agreed that night we’ll need to get another generator. He said he’ll look into getting the old one fixed and maybe sell it. That afternoon the power returned. :cloud9:

Now would be a good time to troubleshoot all of these problems so it’s ready for the next storm. I will tell him about that special fuel.
How do you find a fuel store? Would this be something like what is used in car racing?

just as a heads up-if you decide to bite the bullet and get a whole home there are some rebates occasionally available. my brother just got one installed in california and got zero % financing and then was happily surprised to get a nice rebate. they are not cheap but when our area lost power for over a week due to the 2015 windstorm it was a godsend (esp. since w/o power we don't have water either).

Since when does home depot refuse to take back things? When I worked there for a year, they took back everything.

Thanks all! I'm pretty excited about my new car 😍, just not about the payment lol.

I have seen that literally every store I visit has temporarily halted returns of any kind, even Costco.

the only thing our costco won't take back is toilet paper, wipes, paper towels and rice b/c of how people hoarded prior to them limiting purchases.

Ours stopped ALL returns for awhile. They may have lifted that recently, when they went back to regular hours and got rid of the "only 2 people per membership" rule. I haven't gone for a few weeks.

Our Target and all supermarkets are still not doing ANY returns.

Ours stopped ALL returns for awhile. They may have lifted that recently, when they went back to regular hours and got rid of the "only 2 people per membership" rule. I haven't gone for a few weeks.

Our Target and all supermarkets are still not doing ANY returns.
Target should be taking returns. The only place they didn’t re start returns at the end of April was in NJ.

Paid my taxes on Saturday. Paid a lot! But good to have that done, as it was weighing on me. Also took step daughter's dog to the vet and will be following up with another vet visit to have some of his teeth pulled. Poor little guy :( Probably $800 all in on the vet stuff.

My spouse and I are still working and still doing fine financially but my sense of security in that respect has definitely plummeted from where it was this time last year. Hope you all are as well as can be and that those with current financial struggles are able to get through it and find peace in the midst of the disruption. :hug:

Our supermarkets won't take any returns but I did return things to Lowe's and Home Depot with no problem. I'd say it was late April. NJ.

just as a heads up-if you decide to bite the bullet and get a whole home there are some rebates occasionally available. my brother just got one installed in california and got zero % financing and then was happily surprised to get a nice rebate. they are not cheap but when our area lost power for over a week due to the 2015 windstorm it was a godsend (esp. since w/o power we don't have water either).

I'm not in a position to get one any time soon but it sounds dreamy. We do have water with no electricity and hot water too but no oven or cooktop. We ate sandwiches and a lot of cereal. :laughing:

He gave up and ran out to buy us coffee. :lovestruc:love2:
He's a keeper!!!
It's similar to racing fuel! I went to a fuel store and asked for the highest octane to use in my small engines. Seems like people here do that because they didn't blink an eye.
I have seen that literally every store I visit has temporarily halted returns of any kind, even Costco.
I think the returns are a regional thing. Right now, Home Depot won't ship store to store unless it's within a 100 mile radius. It's all good for me. My flooring is gorgeous and I'm pretty proud of my work. Putting the last of it down tonight and trying to decide if I should run the extra up the hallway (which I think is highly likely).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter