Debt Dumpers 2020

Popping in to say hello! Haven't been on in a bit but I hope your January's are going well so far! It's getting close to being over! We got my husbands W2 yesterday so I did taxes today! Just need a few things from him to finish them off tonight. Luckily we'll get enough back to pay off another card!

I just traded in my Sienna after 13 great years with it. I bought it new in 2006 and it really didn't need much besides regular maintenance (tires, brakes, battery, etc.) One thing that kind of ticked me off though is that the cable snapped that moves the power side door. Once it was hanging out, I could easily see the metal was not much thicker than fishing line. Pathetic. Also Toyota gave me a price of something like $2200+tax to replace the cable. They said they had to remove the 2nd & 3rd row seats, pull of the floor, it was such a huge job, blah, blah blah. Ridiculous, no way. I ended up paying $400 to just have the motor disconnected and be able to use it as a manual door. :headache:

This happened with my '08 Sienna three years ago. I dealt with corporate and got them to cover the door cable repair out of warranty because after googling it appeared that there were many owners having problems with this cable. I believe there was even a recall on it but ending before my model year. I insisted that the issue was clearly not resolved and they relented and covered it. I think the root of the issue is that they used a cable with no kind of treatment to resist rust, and that clearly happened to mine - it just snapped completely through. Concidentally, this all happened like two weeks before we were set to drive down to Disney for vacation, so I was really scrambling to have it taken care of before we left.

I believe there is some kind of class action lawsuit going on now regarding the door cables -- you should look into that.

Funny you should mention a class action suit, @rg35. I just received a letter for one on my Equinox. Now I have to go back to the oil place and the dealership for copies of invoices. And then figure out how to get reimbursement for the vacation time I had to take to get it fixed.

This happened with my '08 Sienna three years ago. I dealt with corporate and got them to cover the door cable repair out of warranty because after googling it appeared that there were many owners having problems with this cable. I believe there was even a recall on it but ending before my model year. I insisted that the issue was clearly not resolved and they relented and covered it. I think the root of the issue is that they used a cable with no kind of treatment to resist rust, and that clearly happened to mine - it just snapped completely through. Concidentally, this all happened like two weeks before we were set to drive down to Disney for vacation, so I was really scrambling to have it taken care of before we left.

I believe there is some kind of class action lawsuit going on now regarding the door cables -- you should look into that.
I do recall them extending the warranty for that and I bought an extended warranty when it was new but our cable snapped after all of these expired.
Great to hear that someone had the guts to fight this. I was shocked at how thin that wire was.
I will look into it but I doubt I’d get anything at this point though.

Update- I didn't win the lottery last night!!! No one else won either so I guess I still have a chance for Saturday! In the meantime, husband got his W2 so put all the info into Turbo Tax and we will owe about $1400

Hi everyone, I’m fairly new to this particular board but we’ve been on a debt payoff journey about a year.
2020 Financial Goals:
-pay off remaining $6,000 of our DVC loan
-pay off DH’s truck balance, $16,000
-increase our emergency fund from current $1,000 to $2,000

Personal Goals:
-Go out a lot less. I am guilty of loving girl’s nights and date nights, and being in restaurants honestly holds us back financially so much! My goal is to be content with nights in. For example tonight I’m buying a frozen pizza to enjoy with my kids and I bought a cheap bottle of wine I love at Trader Joe’s
-I LOVE working out and I want to run 3-4 5k’s this summer. I currently do pilates, strength training and yoga and casually run, but I’d like to start running competitively

Cruising along here. I received a BIG surprise this week when my new boss came in and shut my door to tell me that she was very impressed with the initiative I’d taken in learning my new responsibilities and all the changes to my role and that I would be receiving a $1000 bonus!! I was shocked! I managed to stammer out a thank you. I would’ve been plenty pleased with an “atta girl,” but I won’t say no to the money! I’m going to treat myself to a new $50 purse and then set the rest of the money aside to prepare to pay off DH’s student loan/general savings.

just a mention cuz i recall there are others on this thread who take advantage of this deal when it comes around-

if anyone needs to stock up on household cleaning supplies target has a great selection and is offering the buy 2-get a $5 gift card (and you can mix and match the eligible products for the gift card offer). on top of that if you do pick up and spend $100 you get $10 off your purchase. i wasn't looking to restock on paper products for a month or so but i ended up with a $105 order that ended up costing $95 but i got 4 $5 gift cards so it's a net purchase of $75. not bad for 6 months worth of products.

Welcome @Beachmom0317 and way to go on the bonus @DisneyMandC !!!!

just a mention cuz i recall there are others on this thread who take advantage of this deal when it comes around-

if anyone needs to stock up on household cleaning supplies target has a great selection and is offering the buy 2-get a $5 gift card (and you can mix and match the eligible products for the gift card offer). on top of that if you do pick up and spend $100 you get $10 off your purchase. i wasn't looking to restock on paper products for a month or so but i ended up with a $105 order that ended up costing $95 but i got 4 $5 gift cards so it's a net purchase of $75. not bad for 6 months worth of products.
Thanks! I check out what sales go on at Target quite a bit, so I noticed that one this week when loading a gift card on to my account. I was almost going to get a $300 Target gift card on their 10% sales day this past December to keep loaded on the account for future sales as to get even better overall deal from sales or the specials. May this next December.

do you know the end date on this?

I really enjoy the Costco frozen cheese pizzas. I add Turkey pepperoni, olives, and basil/oregano. Plus they come in a 4 pack for about 10 bucks.

I really enjoy the Costco frozen cheese pizzas. I add Turkey pepperoni, olives, and basil/oregano. Plus they come in a 4 pack for about 10 bucks.

the ARE a great deal. we don't eat pizza frequently but i can't beat papa murphy's $10 tuesday deal esp. if i've got one of their free cookie dough coupons. dinner (and a couple of lunches for dh and i) and dessert for $10 and change).

not the cheapest option but a sometimes treat are the trader joe's pizzas. they've got several fancier ones that i will snag for the freezer. not the biggest pizzas but with a salad or some soup it makes for a nice meal (that we would pay 3 or 4x times as much for going out to eat-not including drinks).

You guys!!!! We paid of 3 credit cards in 2019 and got our emergency fund built up! We will be finished in 2020 and my husband has agreed to Annual Passes on the day we make our last payment (or maybe a couple weeks later - that's going to take a little bit of time to save up for :-))!

We will be finished in 2020 and my husband has agreed to Annual Passes on the day we make our last payment (or maybe a couple weeks later - that's going to take a little bit of time to save up for :-))!

save for it-think how much more rewarding it will be to have all your credit cards paid off, get those annual passes AND NOT GO BACK INTO DEBT for it :cheer2:

We are still chugging along here! Our impulsively booked Norway cruise will be paid off in 3 weeks. :cool1:
Then we'll officially be debt-free except the mortgage. Again.
The crazy part is then we will start saving for a winter escape cruise in March.

Actually this winter hasn't been very cold here in NJ and I'm not even stressed at all about winter or needing to get away. Usually by now I'm dying to go somewhere and feel some warm sunshine. By the end of March I'm usually ready to move to a place that doesn't get snow. This year has been easy peasy, for me anyway. OTOH, dh has been working a ridiculous amount of OT. It was exciting at first but now I'm at the point that I worry about him and his health, not having enough time to rest & relax. (Part of the reason for the escape cruise in March.) He hasn't had a single day off since New Year's Day. :guilty: On days that his employer isn't having him work extra, he is doing a side job, helping a neighbor. I feel so bad for him; he is looking haggard. Even on his regular work days, which for him begin at 6:30am, now they're asking him to start at 5am. He could leave 1.5 hrs early on those days or stay until his regular leaving time and of course he's been staying.

Our other friends that were talking back at Christmas about going to Italy really prefer to go by cruise. I'm out. We did that before only to accommodate my parents so they wouldn't have to keep packing & unpacking repeatedly. Great for seniors but really it's not enough time in each port and there's too much in Italy to see just rushing through it. Whatever; it's their choice.

So our goals for 2020 are
1. Pay off Norway cruise
2. Save for March Escape cruise
3. Save for Panama Canal cruise (due late Oct)
4. Pay back dh's slush fund for the $4000 we gave ds19 toward a car.
5. Save $4000 for Christmas 2020
6. Save for new bedroom furniture. $5k estimated but hopefully less.
7. Start saving for a truck for dh. By then, his current truck will be 10 yrs old but it will take a few years to save so that we don't have to take out a loan. I really don't want to have debt again, ever. I probably should just wait and call this a 2021 goal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!