December January & February Park Hours Update Watch/Discussion

We usually avoid EMH parks (staying offsite). We are going New Years week for the first time ever. I picked a non EMH day for the MK but they just changed it to am EMH. Will it really matter with crowds? Epcot has EMH, Studios opens at 7 and AK at 8. Should I switch my MK day to a non EMH?

This may sound like a weird question since most people don't exactly stalk Muppets FP, but does that show open later than the rest of the park? I was trying to bump up my Muppets FP so that even if we don't get to use it because we are in line for ROTR, it can expire and we can try for a 4th FP for ToT. But it seems the earliest they are showing is 11am even with the earlier park opening.
I was originally able to get 9:30ish FP+ for Voyage of the Little Mermaid on both my DHS mornings in late January since I planned to let it drop off my account while I was in SWGE, but on both days they pushed the opening back later in the morning. Now despite the earlier park hours they've pushed the first Little Mermaid show back to 10:00 that entire week.

I think Disney is being realistic about which attractions are actually desired first thing in the morning and which ones are just getting burner FP+ bookings. From their perspective, there's no sense staffing an attraction that won't have an audience.

We usually avoid EMH parks (staying offsite). We are going New Years week for the first time ever. I picked a non EMH day for the MK but they just changed it to am EMH. Will it really matter with crowds? Epcot has EMH, Studios opens at 7 and AK at 8. Should I switch my MK day to a non EMH?

It’s all just shades of grey on some level, in my opinion. I personally usually stick to the ‘avoid the park with EMH’ theory but I don’t make it totally dictate things.

Depends on the details though. If I were off site and wanting to be a rope dropper, to me going on a MK AM EMH day is not ideal. If not a rope dropper, then I’m more indifferent.

Given that DHS hours were updated on Dec 11 for the month of January, do we expect anymore January updates? If so, will this not be until second Friday in January, which would be the 10th? Hoping for longer hours end of January.

Last edited:

considering it's New Years week.... I would change to a Non-EMH day and rope drop it. It's going to be busy enough, so I'd try to avoid the EMH, but you may not be able to change things too much if you have FP+ scheduled, etc.

Does Disney ever extend hours in the night for DHS? Would love to have hours until 9:00 (vs. 8:00) the third week in January. Would better let us leave for a break and come back later for the night shows.

I saw they moved the DHS hours back to 7:00 (from 8:00) through the second week of January. I'd rather they leave the hours at 8:00 in the morning and extend at night. Perhaps they can then move the Star Wars fireworks so that they're not the same time as Fantasmic.

Looks like they moved some of the middle of Jan HS hours up to 7am. I was able to move my MLK weekend SDD fastpass up to 7:30am. Looks like they extended some days up until Jan 26th

we arrive the 28th and going to DHS the 31st. V curious to see if it gets moved to 7 as well

Does Disney ever extend hours in the night for DHS? Would love to have hours until 9:00 (vs. 8:00) the third week in January. Would better let us leave for a break and come back later for the night shows.

I saw they moved the DHS hours back to 7:00 (from 8:00) through the second week of January. I'd rather they leave the hours at 8:00 in the morning and extend at night. Perhaps they can then move the Star Wars fireworks so that they're not the same time as Fantasmic.

Seems very unlikely unfortunately. They switched EMH to evenings on Sundays, but otherwise they seem to only be extending hours in the morning. I also believe that when they extend evening hours, they don't change fireworks schedules, so that's very unlikely to change, too.

Excited that they changed RD from 8 to 7 on our first HS day (26th). Unfortunately, by the time I noticed and checked FP at about 1 PM, all the SDD were gone. Was hoping to get one since that is day 60+1 and we weren't able to get one initially. Oh, well!

Sorry if posted already and I missed it, but it looks like the EMH at DHS has been switched from the mornings to 8-10pm all the way up to March. The first Sunday in March is still showing 8-9am EMH but who knows if it will stay.

If they decide to extend or add hours to any dates in January, when do we expect that to happen? Would it be this Friday?

I'm going end of Jan. and opening is still 8 a.m. with EMH from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Feb. 2nd. I wasn't able to get any good FP's for that night.

This is obviously past January but just for info purposes: I got a notice today from touring plans that EMH on March 29th at HS was changed to night....so looks like they are gearing up to open early for awhile.

My DHS day is 1/31 and still stating 8am opening. Correct me if I'm wrong but so far we've had 6 and 7am openings for DHS right? I'd like to see how quickly BGs go on a 8am day.

My DHS day is 1/31 and still stating 8am opening. Correct me if I'm wrong but so far we've had 6 and 7am openings for DHS right? I'd like to see how quickly BGs go on a 8am day.
Exactly! I'm actually hoping the opening remains at 8 a.m. Since the plan is to be there an hour earlier, I'd rather be there for 7 than for 6 a.m.

DHS hours for next week were changed to 7am openings. Hurry, there are still some SDD fp left!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!