Deck Chair\Lounger Etiquette

JARNJ3

DIS Veteran
I will be using the adult only pool\deck on the Disney Magic next month!!! Will there be places to sit by the pool - say mid afternoon on "sea days" - or will all of the loungers\chairs be saved?

What is the etiquette for this? If a lounger looks abandoned - save for a towel on it - is that fair game to use?

Also - I read all of my books on an ipad - say I want to go in the pool - then come back out to my lounger - will my ipad & stuff be safe?

Not a ton of chairs around the adult pool so hard to say how hard it will be to get one. We always use the pool in the morning before it gets too crowded so we havent had the issue with all the chairs being used or saved.

good luck

I will be using the adult only pool\deck on the Disney Magic next month!!! Will there be places to sit by the pool - say mid afternoon on "sea days" - or will all of the loungers\chairs be saved?

What is the etiquette for this? If a lounger looks abandoned - save for a towel on it - is that fair game to use?

Also - I read all of my books on an ipad - say I want to go in the pool - then come back out to my lounger - will my ipad & stuff be safe?

People are not supposed to save loungers/chairs, but some do. You might have difficulty finding a lounger mid-day on a sea day, but in my experience, there are usually enough people coming/going from the adult area that something will free up. If there is just a towel on a lounger, I would ask the people around that lounger if someone is sitting there. Sometimes people leave and aren't considerate enough to take their towel to deposit in the towel return. On my last cruise, I was chatting with a woman sitting in the lounger next to me. She told me she was leaving, got up, and left her towel on the lounger. It wasn't long before a CM came by. He asked if someone was sitting there, and cleared the lounger off when I told him the woman sitting there had left. So the crew does try to keep loungers freed up.

I would not leave an ipad sitting out in plain view. But if you have it in a beach bag, buried under clothes, I would expect it to be relatively safe.

We were on the magic the first week of April. There were no chairs to be had around the adult only pool. We had to get out there early morning to grab one, and then people circled around constantly trying to catch someone leaving a chair.

Granted, this was spring break and the ship was full. We hated it. It was like our previous experience on a carnival cruise - the non stop hunt for a lounger.

We had previously only sailed on the fantasy where there were always loungers available on deck 13. Anytime of the day. Guess we were spoiled.

We sailed The Wonder in Feb. and the adult pool was packed every day, it was 95% adult cruise so it was expected.
We would go up to the next deck where they have put a cover and usually be lucky enough to grab a lounger there.

We've done 4 cruises, all on Magic and Wonder, and only once have had a problem finding a deck chair in quiet cover. And at that point in time we went down to relax on Deck 4 loungers, which other than an occasional passing jogger, was quieter than quiet cove... And the life boats provided some needed shade on that hot day.

We are taking our first cruise on the Fantasy soon and are worried that the adult pool will be overly crowded - it looks smaller than the adult pool on the classic ships that have half the passengers. But the classic ships don't have satellite falls either... We will probably be fine.

We've done 4 cruises, all on Magic and Wonder, and only once have had a problem finding a deck chair in quiet cover. And at that point in time we went down to relax on Deck 4 loungers, which other than an occasional passing jogger, was quieter than quiet cove... And the life boats provided some needed shade on that hot day.

We are taking our first cruise on the Fantasy soon and are worried that the adult pool will be overly crowded - it looks smaller than the adult pool on the classic ships that have half the passengers. But the classic ships don't have satellite falls either... We will probably be fine.
I prefer Satellite Falls to Quiet Cove, it’s more relaxing to hear the water cascading down over the globe and there seems to be less activity going on. It’s a great spot to relax.

I prefer Satellite Falls to Quiet Cove, it’s more relaxing to hear the water cascading down over the globe and there seems to be less activity going on. It’s a great spot to relax.
I enjoy Satellite Falls as well. That white noise from the water put me right to sleep. There are also a lot more places to sit.

OP- I think in the adult area your belongings should be safe- just don't venture too far away. If towels are the only thing left on the lounger then that person is likely gone. Also doesn't hurt to ask a CM. I saw one take up the towels and that was that. I made a joke that the people were probably on a port adventure and won't be back until later.

If I haven't seen someone in a lounge chair in 5 minutes, I'm moving their stuff. Haven't done any time on the adult pool, but for the kids pool if I want to sit and watch my kid, I'm not going to stand around because someone dropped towels off 30/60/90 minutes ago or more. (Different situation if they are in the water, but I don't see adults in the 'kid soup' that is the small cruise ship pool.)

If I haven't seen someone in a lounge chair in 5 minutes, I'm moving their stuff. Haven't done any time on the adult pool, but for the kids pool if I want to sit and watch my kid, I'm not going to stand around because someone dropped towels off 30/60/90 minutes ago or more. (Different situation if they are in the water, but I don't see adults in the 'kid soup' that is the small cruise ship pool.)
It really is kid soup. I met a lovely couple at dinner and they mentioned how the pools need to be bigger (hopefully on the upcoming newer ships) and you almost need a tracker or flashing light to find your kid in that mess. It must be difficult for the lifeguards as well.

That’s our policy too. If the seat saver has left more than just a towel, we put the stuff behind the chair or on the next chair so it doesn’t get wet while we are sitting there. Sometimes if there is just a towel in the chair, a CM might have just put folded towels on all the chairs.

It really is kid soup. I met a lovely couple at dinner and they mentioned how the pools need to be bigger (hopefully on the upcoming newer ships) and you almost need a tracker or flashing light to find your kid in that mess. It must be difficult for the lifeguards as well.
I think it's just the opposite. There's no danger of drowning if no one can move.

(Kidding! I'm quite happy there are lifeguards on duty)

I hate chair hogs and the eternal search for loungers. Just a frustrating endeavour.

The Fantasy in April had the most crowded adult pool I've seen. We ended up having to go up to Satellite Falls for chairs. It's relaxing up there too, we made the best of it.

That’s our policy too. If the seat saver has left more than just a towel, we put the stuff behind the chair or on the next chair so it doesn’t get wet while we are sitting there. Sometimes if there is just a towel in the chair, a CM might have just put folded towels on all the chairs.

Really just five minutes? I'm going to be totally paranoid now that I'll get up to use the restroom and fill my water bottle, and come back to find someone else in my place and my stuff behind the lounger. Heck, when my kids were still little and had to be taken to the restroom it was an operation that took much longer than that, and that was without having to navigate a crowded pool deck on the way to and from.

Really just five minutes? I'm going to be totally paranoid now that I'll get up to use the restroom and fill my water bottle, and come back to find someone else in my place and my stuff behind the lounger. Heck, when my kids were still little and had to be taken to the restroom it was an operation that took much longer than that, and that was without having to navigate a crowded pool deck on the way to and from.
I was thinking the same thing! Honestly, I would be kinda annoyed if I used the restroom and came back and found my stuff (more than just a towel) moved!

I was thinking the same thing! Honestly, I would be kinda annoyed if I used the restroom and came back and found my stuff (more than just a towel) moved!
I wasn’t the one who said 5 minutes. But, come on, if you spend some time (maybe 15 minutes) watching the pool area, it’s pretty easy to tell if the stuff left on the lounger is being used or being left to “reserve” the chair.

You can ask the people sitting around the chair and the CM in the pool area if they’ve seen anyone actually sitting in the chair if it makes you feel better. But it is not uncommon to see lots of chairs full of towels, flip flops and the like but never see anyone actually sit in that chair for an hour or more. That isn’t right. Everyone has to take their turn and share.

There is no seat saving but there are no posted rules. If no one is sitting in that chair or appears in the pool area after a reasonable amount of time, than that chair should be available to those people who ARE in the pool area. We can argue about what a reasonable amount of time is, but it is unfair to have empty loungers full of people’s “stuff” and not people, while others are forced to stand around without access to a chair, in order to keep an eye on their kids in the pool.

We do the same thing with hammocks on Castaway Cay. We will watch the area for awhile and if no one appears to be actually using the hammock, we move the stuff left in the hammock to the area under the hammock and lie there. When we are done using the hammock, we pick up and move on so others can lie in the hammock.

So if people are irritated to see their stuff moved, so be it. Stuff left behind in a chair does not convey ownership, it’s just stuff after all.

I wasn’t the one who said 5 minutes. But, come on, if you spend some time (maybe 15 minutes) watching the pool area, it’s pretty easy to tell if the stuff left on the lounger is being used or being left to “reserve” the chair.

You can ask the people sitting around the chair and the CM in the pool area if they’ve seen anyone actually sitting in the chair if it makes you feel better. But it is not uncommon to see lots of chairs full of towels, flip flops and the like but never see anyone actually sit in that chair for an hour or more. That isn’t right. Everyone has to take their turn and share.

There is no seat saving but there are no posted rules. If no one is sitting in that chair or appears in the pool area after a reasonable amount of time, than that chair should be available to those people who ARE in the pool area. We can argue about what a reasonable amount of time is, but it is unfair to have empty loungers full of people’s “stuff” and not people, while others are forced to stand around without access to a chair, in order to keep an eye on their kids in the pool.

We do the same thing with hammocks on Castaway Cay. We will watch the area for awhile and if no one appears to be actually using the hammock, we move the stuff left in the hammock to the area under the hammock and lie there. When we are done using the hammock, we pick up and move on so others can lie in the hammock.

So if people are irritated to see their stuff moved, so be it. Stuff left behind in a chair does not convey ownership, it’s just stuff after all.
I completely agree that it’s annoying to leave your stuff on a chair that you’re not intending to use. My comment was for those who said they move stuff if no one shows up for 5 minutes because I thought that seemed like a very short amount of time. Like the previous poster, if I run my kids to the bathroom it can easily take 5-10 minutes.

I completely agree that it’s annoying to leave your stuff on a chair that you’re not intending to use. My comment was for those who said they move stuff if no one shows up for 5 minutes because I thought that seemed like a very short amount of time. Like the previous poster, if I run my kids to the bathroom it can easily take 5-10 minutes.
It’s all good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter