Deck Chair\Lounger Etiquette

I completely agree that it’s annoying to leave your stuff on a chair that you’re not intending to use. My comment was for those who said they move stuff if no one shows up for 5 minutes because I thought that seemed like a very short amount of time. Like the previous poster, if I run my kids to the bathroom it can easily take 5-10 minutes.
Sometimes it only takes 5 minutes to know if someone is actually there or not, irrespective of how many towels and accessories are present.

5 minutes is way too quick. I will run to the restroom, run to get some food, etc, and it takes longer than that.

Luckily I've never had problems with someone snatching my chair in 5 minutes with my beach bag on it. We also like to jump in the adult pool and obviously leave our drinks and beach bag at our chairs. If someone decided 5 minutes was too long for me to be in the pool I'd def have something to say about it.

If a chair only has a towel on it, 5 minutes I think is plenty of time because a lot of people don't pick up their towels when they leave. Best bet is to just ask the people around you if the chair is being used.

Hi, usually not a problem around the adult pool, sometimes the DW and I share a lounger ie one in the pool and one relaxing on the lounger! Around the family pools it can be hard to find a seat. Some people take the chair saving to the extreme. Last time on the Fantasy I was up early on the sea day, around 7 am, went to get a coffee by the pool and I saw a women clipping down her own beach towels with small plastic clips, 2 towels to each of for 4 chairs. Also placed sandals or shoes on each chair and then left. I went for breakfast and to my cabin came back about 90 mins later nobody on the loungers. She was not the only one saving chairs.

Can we all agree that going to the bathroom or getting something from quick service or heck even swimming in the actual pool is fine?

What people are complaining about are the people who get up at 8:00 AM (or whenever) throw a bag of clothes and a book on four lounge chairs and then treat the space as personal property for the rest of the day like @grantclaire described. I've seen that too. No need to defend yourself for occasionally leaving your seat for a little while. No one minds that, and no one wants you to loose your seat. It is the all day absentees that hurt both those looking for seats and those who are using their seats responsibly.

Trouble is, no one is going to come on this thread and say, "Yes, I leave my stuff on a seat all day because it works for me personally, but now that I've read these posts, I realize how selfish that is and I will never do it again."

But we can dream!

Agreed. Again, I think it's fairly easy to determine if a seat's actually being used or not, and it's doubtful that someone is simply going to sweep all your stuff away because you're getting food or there's a long line at the bathroom.

Hi, usually not a problem around the adult pool, sometimes the DW and I share a lounger ie one in the pool and one relaxing on the lounger! Around the family pools it can be hard to find a seat. Some people take the chair saving to the extreme. Last time on the Fantasy I was up early on the sea day, around 7 am, went to get a coffee by the pool and I saw a women clipping down her own beach towels with small plastic clips, 2 towels to each of for 4 chairs. Also placed sandals or shoes on each chair and then left. I went for breakfast and to my cabin came back about 90 mins later nobody on the loungers. She was not the only one saving chairs.
I saw this on our last cruise. Up early (6:00 am) walking the ship and saw two people putting pink flamingo clips on chairs with towels attached. We ate breakfast at Cabanas and came out about 7:30 to find even more chairs with stuff on them. No one around and the pool not even open yet.

So I walked over to a CM moving chairs around and asked about the policy. He said no seat saving, but if it’s more than just a towel on the chair sometimes the CM lets it go unless someone complains. I complained that meant there really was no policy against selfish people who did this. He winked at me and asked if I wanted to help him.

He and I went around the pool deck gathering up all the clips, flip flops, towels and other crap left on the chairs. He took all the stuff and gave it to the bartender at the pool. I wish I could have seen those people’s faces!

What is the etiquette for this? If a lounger looks abandoned - save for a towel on it - is that fair game to use?

Also - I read all of my books on an ipad - say I want to go in the pool - then come back out to my lounger - will my ipad & stuff be safe?
Yes, a lounger with generic ship towel is fair game. I would hide valuables, but yes, in my experience a DCL ship is a safe place to leave nice things on a lounger & expect them to be there upon your return. But still, exercise basic caution and conceal them & don't leave them unattended for hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter