Decluttering Help (how to get rid of certain stuff)

There’s a store in our area that is like a thrift store, but for artists. They sell all kinds of stuff and even do little classes for a specific project. (Like if they have tons of felt scraps, they might offer a class where people can come in and make felt books or if someone donated a huge amount of bottle caps, they might use them to make a mural.)

I know it sounds very random, but I have seen stores like this in two other cities I have visited recently so I think they are becoming more popular. May be worth the OP looking in their area

What are the names of these places? I'm not even sure what to google to find out if there are any around so a starting point would be helpful :)

What are the names of these places? I'm not even sure what to google to find out if there are any around so a starting point would be helpful :)
The one near me is called "Reconsidered Goods". The description on the main page says:
A Non-Profit Creative Reuse Center
Art Education + Creative Supply Resource

I remembered going to one in Lafayette, LA as well. Just looked it up online and it's called "Deuxieme Vie Creative" It's also described as a "Creative Reuse Center" so that's probably your best search key phrase

For your electronics, as others have said - put it on the curb or in your driveway then post on facebook marketplace or craigslist that it is there for the first person to come and get it. Although, from experience you probably do need to put in a disclaimer that you won't hold it, it's first to pick up (not first to chain it to a tree, don't ask me why I now include this), and that you will take the ad down as soon as you notice it's gone but there's no guarantee it will still be there. I've done that with old appliances and lawn equipment, they are usually taken within an hour.

I'd do the same with the old clothes, someone may want them for something. If not then trash them, thrift stores don't want things that aren't usable.

I'm struggling with what to do with some unused craft supplies. Construction paper, some stamps, other odds and ends that are just taking up space in the basement. There are no creative reuse centers near me. What would your suggestion be for what do to with it?

I have a beautiful handmade wooden stamp pad/marker holder that I don't know what to do with, either. I don't want to deal with the crazies on Facebook Marketplace, but I can't come up with anywhere else to get rid of it.

Lots of schools/youth groups/township sports around here (PA) have been doing clothing drives as a fundraiser. They collect as much as they can and an organization takes them and pays the club. You can put in ANYTHING that is a fabric and the organization will sort them; some get sent to thrift stores, others get sent to underprivileged countries, and finally if they are beyond useful they will be recycled.

I like to keep a couple of bags by the laundry to pitch as I go and when its full I see who is doing a fundraiser to bring it to. If you join a neighborhood FB page they usually share that kind of information.

The one near me is called "Reconsidered Goods". The description on the main page says:
A Non-Profit Creative Reuse Center
Art Education + Creative Supply Resource

I remembered going to one in Lafayette, LA as well. Just looked it up online and it's called "Deuxieme Vie Creative" It's also described as a "Creative Reuse Center" so that's probably your best search key phrase

Thanks! I'll take a look. In the seattle area so there's gotta be one somewhere.

I'm struggling with what to do with some unused craft supplies. Construction paper, some stamps, other odds and ends that are just taking up space in the basement. There are no creative reuse centers near me. What would your suggestion be for what do to with it?

I have a beautiful handmade wooden stamp pad/marker holder that I don't know what to do with, either. I don't want to deal with the crazies on Facebook Marketplace, but I can't come up with anywhere else to get rid of it.

Maybe a preschool or daycare? Or if you city parks & rec does crafts. Oh or a senior center.

I donate my craft supplies to our local public school. The art teachers love getting it.

We did a big clean out last summer. We have thrift stores, a Habitat for Humanity store, a recycling center, and a hazardous waste collection site. That helped with the vast majority of our items, but I didn't have anywhere to take some half empty cans of latex paint. When I put it on FB, a friend suggested donating to a community theater. Turns out the theater department at DD 15's high school was thrilled to get it. They like fabric and sewing supplies too, so that is another place to consider if you have that to get rid of.

Thanks for the tips everyone! In doing my research on recycling I read that my city happens to be one of the worst in the country with it. :scared: So I've decided as I move forward with this decluttering thing to not stress myself about it so much. I also read much of the stuff that gets sent to Goodwill eventually ends up in the landfill anyway. :p

But hey, gotta prioritize my mental health over the environment sometimes. :tongue:

I avoid donating to Goodwill, I try to stick with AmVets.

It hasn't really been mentioned yet, but our Salvation Army takes torn/ripped/stained clothes, they send them out of the country to be turned into rag rugs or something. I always just put that stuff in a separate bag and mark it as such :)

Staples will recycle most electronic items at no charge, including old school CRT computer monitors.

And if you're concerned about your environmental impact, be careful in where you donate it to. While some factions of the Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc. attempt to recycle unsellable items (and over two-thirds of what's donated is never offered for sale), many of them continue to dispose of them into the trash. Also, it's best to choose a donation center that's in need. For example, I live in South Orange County, CA, which has a large amount of wealth, and donation centers are overburdened. However, when I visit Disneyland, I make an effort to stop by nearby donation centers, which are far in greater need of donations.

our local goodwill takes most of these items. They e-waste items that are no longer usable. Plus you get a tax benefit.
The hardest thing is convincing yourself you will not need these anymore...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!