Deluxe as a solo

Two of my three solo trips have been deluxe stays. My most recent this month was at the Contemporary. Those were intentionally slower trips though. I like my resort time on most trips. Though if I knew it was going to be more of a park heavy commando style vacation, I’d look at a moderate or one of the nicer values.

Currently planning a short solo trip for spring. Our family has visited many times and always stayed deluxe (YC, BC, CR). This will be my first solo trip, and I had originally planned to try a value or moderate resort. My thought was to avoid a big room cost when it’s just me in a room. But, after more thought I really prefer to stay in an area which I know and am comfortable. So, I booked Boardwalk Inn. That will be a new resort for me, though familiar surroundings.
I vote that you splurge and enjoy if at all possible. I’ve always had amazing stays at deluxe resorts and location is key if you really have a preference (Epcot area, in my case).

It's not a waste if that's what you want to do. You could split the difference and possibly save a little by switching to Wilderness Lodge.

There's a really early boat to the Contemporary so you can walk right over to the MK as if you were staying at CR.

Last edited:
I always used to only stay deluxe, but my weeklong solo trip past February I stayed at the All Star Sports. Honestly, it was perfect! I bring a travel coffee maker and good coffee, which I need first thing in the morning. I loved the convenience of the food court, as many evenings I grabbed some dinner on my way back to the room. I didn’t feel it was worth 3x the price to go deluxe, and the room had everything else I needed. I can afford deluxe, but can’t justify the cost. I’d rather spend the extra on food and drinks (nothing like popping into the Nomad Lounge for a proper martini and snack in the afternoon!). I’d like to do another solo trip next year, but have way too much else going on to likely plan one.

I would love to stay in a Deluxe as a solo someday, once my budget allows for it. As you know, the value and moderates generally don’t give you much of a view from your room since their doors open out into the hallway. Valuing my privacy as a solo traveler, that means I usually keep my shades drawn and the room becomes a dark place I don’t even want to hang out in.

My compromise is to have stayed in places like the Swan and Dolphin, which offer excellent views and sometimes balconies, or just spend less time in my room. I would love to have a nice view in a deluxe balcony sitting on the monorail loop, enjoying a refreshing beverages while looking out over the lagoon. What an amazing solo vacation that would be!

Only you can decide if it is “worth it” to you.

I have stayed solo at CR a lot, but I tend to spend more time at the resort than it sounds like you do. I have stayed at almost every WDW resort and had great vacations in all of them. Some trips I can afford the splurge, and sometimes I am on a stricter budget.

I will say after several value stays recently, it is getting harder for me to justify a solo trip at a deluxe. I was at Pop earlier this month, and went over to Riviera to look around. I really liked the look of it and wondered if I should change my trip next month from Pop to Riviera. Until I checked the price and found that even with a good discount, it would still cost me almost $6,000.00 MORE than I will be paying at Pop to stay there (of course, none of the tower rooms, which would be ideal for solos, were available). Could I pay the difference? Yes. But it wasn’t worth it to me for that particular trip.

Personally im hardly at the resort so I cant imagine staying at a deluxe resort, solo or not. I always stay at a value...either Sports or Pop. The resort is perfect for my solo trips since im hardly there, so i cant justify spending more money for a deluxe resort, or even moderate for that matter. That's just me though. Everyone is different. If you can swing it financially, and if you really want it, go for it! Its not a waste unless you see it as a waste. All depends on what you want.

Side note: you can always go for a moderate resort during your solo stay. Its much cheaper.

I know I'm in the minority, but when I go solo, I try to stay on the cheap. Most of my waking hours are in the park, so all I need is a decent bed to sleep on and relative quiet. So...I tend to stay outside Disney and rent a car, eat several meals outside the bubble (that's where you can really save $). I would say that if you were planning on enjoying the resort for a good amount of time, then do it, but if not, why bother?

One reason that I think I’d really appreciate the Deluxe resort as a solo (assuming it fits in my budget), is that I actually would spend more time in my hotel. When I’m with a friend or family, I’d feel like we needed to be out there in the parks doing stuff together. When I’m on my own, nobody will judge me if I just want to sit on the balcony and relax with a cold drink while admiring the view. And I’d like a hotel with a nice gym, because while I would never waste time working out if a group of eight were waiting on me, when it’s me time I’m keeping up my fitness routine as part of a perfect vacation.

Also, those value resorts are awesome, but they’re filled with kids... so many kids everywhere. I don’t hate kids (probably will have some one day), but it’s not a resort as geared to adults... the pools are so noisy and splashy and filled with kids screaming about how they have to pee and every square yard has adults trying to navigate around other adults and bumping into each other, and there’s always that loud guy from Minnesota who is screaming across the pool at his family (no offense to Minnesota, it’s just happened a few times by coincidence).

Would you think it a waste of money to book a deluxe resort as a solo, if you don't plan on spending a ton of time hanging out at the resort?

I had plans to vacation with my sis and her family and stay the Contemporary. Primarily for the ease of getting to the Magic Kingdom. Now sis's plans have changed, and she won't make that part of the trip. Would it be crazy to stay at the Contemporary solo?

I'm not made of money, and the cost would be noticeable. The trip we are planning isn't for a while, so I would have time to save up. But I'm wondering if it wouldn't make more sense to downgrade to a different resort. Can any of you tell me why it would be a great idea to stay at the Contemporary, cost be darned/

I stayed Deluxe on my last solo trip and I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was over Veterans Day weekend this past November, a short Food & Wine centric trip. I stayed at the Beach Club specifically because it was a 4 day Fri-Mon trip and I knew Epcot would be slammed. The proximity to 2 parks alone was worth the extra cost (I got a good agency exclusive deal through my TA though). And I'll say this, I enjoyed that trip a lot more than my first solo trip, which was 6 days at POFQ back in August. I felt like I got so much done and I was still able to enjoy the resort. I found SAB was overrated tbh but I spent a good chunk of Sunday in one of the hot tubs chatting with other guests. It was just a whole different vibe. I walked to DHS one night after dinner at Crew's Cup lounge just on a whim and got to see Galaxy's Edge for the first time, rode Millennium Falcon single rider and Toy Story Mania as a walk on at park close, then walked back to Epcot for the fireworks. None of which I would have been able to do if I had stayed elsewhere (the Skyliner was down that night btw). I can't put a price on that.

You have to know what kind of person you are and what your preferences are like. Conventional wisdom says stay at Pop or All Star whatever if you are solo and don't plan to hang at the resort much. But in my experience, for me, being in walking distance to a park is the ultimate amenity and supersedes anything else. I am looking at CR for future solo trips.

I'm quite cheap. I have stayed solo at Pop many times and Coronado Springs and All Star Sports once, at Springhill Suites several times and a timeshare I got on Orbitz for less than $100 a night. I actually like Pop a lot. My next 2 solo Disney trips I have rented DVC points for stays at the Beach Club and Boardwalk. I feel it is a good enough deal that I am comfortable with the splurge (less than $300/nt). I got an AP this year and plan to have a relaxed trip with more resort time these 2 trips.

I also stay solo at Universal and often at their value resort Cabana Bay, but have done split stays with a couple nights deluxe for the express pass.

Deluxe hotels advance is being close to the parks. Fast access to the parks. Room service , ect. If money is not stopping you a Deluxe is a great place.

Would you think it a waste of money to book a deluxe resort as a solo, if you don't plan on spending a ton of time hanging out at the resort?

I had plans to vacation with my sis and her family and stay the Contemporary. Primarily for the ease of getting to the Magic Kingdom. Now sis's plans have changed, and she won't make that part of the trip. Would it be crazy to stay at the Contemporary solo?

I'm not made of money, and the cost would be noticeable. The trip we are planning isn't for a while, so I would have time to save up. But I'm wondering if it wouldn't make more sense to downgrade to a different resort. Can any of you tell me why it would be a great idea to stay at the Contemporary, cost be darned/
No, I don't think it's a waste of money at all, if you can afford it that is. It would be great to spend time at a deluxe resort alone, or with someone. We cannot afford a deluxe but always stay at a moderate. If I had a chance to stay at one I certainly would. I've always wanted to stay at the Contemporary with a MK view:) or any view for that matter. I say go for it; it might be a once in a lifetime for you!
And please report back where you decided to stay and how it went:)

Last edited:
Personally, I think that any hotel one stays at during a WDW trip (regardless of how much time you do or don't spend there) plays a crucial role in the overall magic of your experience. My wife and I routinely stay at Deluxe hotels when we go to WDW (we usually rent DVC points), despite the fact that we go without children and spend a lot of time away from the resort.

1. I think there is still a lot to be said for theme, vibe and overall "aura" of a resort. While I don't think there is anything wrong with Values or Moderates (quite the opposite, they both have phenomenal qualities), for my taste (and I'm betting for many solo adults), the vibe, theme and "aura" of a Deluxe is preferable to that of a Value or Moderate. If you love the way it looks and the way you feel while you're there (or think you will), then it is worth it.

2. My wife and I have a young daughter (too young to go to WDW, at least in our opinion, yet) and love children, but on our adult trips, we prefer an atmosphere at our resort that is less chaotic and more calm. I think Deluxe resorts have a leg up in that arena. Additionally, an argument might be made that because of the more concise layout/size of the Contemporary (compared to say, a Moderate like Port Orleans or somewhere else with a sprawling lay out), it's more beneficial for you in terms of not wandering the resort every time you want to leave/come back.

3. You can't oversell the ease of access to Magic Kingdom and Epcot (via the monorail). While that may not be entirely worth the price increase, it is definitively valuable, not to mention the easy access the monorail also provides to the Grand Floridian and Polynesian, and the bar/food options those resorts present.

4. My wife and I simply love to try new places. I personally love to compare and contrast, plan for future trips and be able to "check-off" resorts. Again, not necessarily something that everyone finds valuable, but I love experiencing new things, so I can see that having value. <-- Not sure if this would be a first for you at this resort, so if not, this may not apply.

5. Lastly, I splurge when at WDW. I save up and spend how I want to; I generally take this position on all vacations. If you want to stay here, do it! It's your vacation.

----

In the end, you can't make a wrong decision here. Even saving the $ and staying elsewhere isn't bad - hey, you're still at a WDW resort and on vacation :) All in all though, I say if you want to stay there, go for it!
Agree wholeheartedly with this post!

Oh man staying at a deluxe solo is actually a major goal for me LOL. I'm trying to see if I can rent DVC points for a stay this Dec for ANY deluxe resort just so I know what it's like (as a child I remember Grand Floridian but nothing else, and as an adult it's always All-Star).

Would it be awesome? Yes. Is it worth it? Let's think about what else we could do with that money, and decide.

I just stayed at the Hilton Lake Buena Vista in Disney Springs. This is pretty much the closest Disney Springs hotel--like a closer walk to DS than the Contemporary is to MK. The resort had 60 day fast pass window, plus EMH access. The resort was clean, comfortable and nice, but had zero theming. It cost $130 per night, including tax, plus the resort fee. I can't remember how much that was, but I think it was about $35/night, so let's use $165 as the price. I just put in the contemporary for September, probably one of the lowest rates, and it came up $622 w/o taxes. Let's just use $500/ night after discounts and taxes. Also, let's say 3 nights. We're looking at $500 vs. $1500. We still need to get to/from the airport at an offsite, so let's say it's $100 rt for a Lyft. That leaves us with $900.

You'll be missing the Contemporary, so do the brunch. ($125 with tax and tip). Is the offsite bus too confusing?. Take a Lyft every morning (3X) to the parks ($50). (Time Saving when you need it!) True, you have to be dropped off at the TTC for MK, (the other drop offs are close) but the boat is so cool, it's almost like getting an extra ride before the park opens. Coming back at night you can take the Disney Springs Bus, so that you can walk through DS to get a little magic on the way to the hotel. Of course, you can't walk through Disney Springs without grabbing a drink at those cool restaurants (one each night). ($75) But there's still so much money left over! You should stop at the World of Disney to get one of those cool Lougefly backpacks to store all that $$. ($80).

So that leaves
$900-$125-$50-$75-$80=$570

With Lyft service every morning, brunch at the top, experiencing 3 DS bars, and a backpack.

Frame it the right way, and you're not missing out on Deluxe.

Would it be awesome? Yes. Is it worth it? Let's think about what else we could do with that money, and decide.

I just stayed at the Hilton Lake Buena Vista in Disney Springs. This is pretty much the closest Disney Springs hotel--like a closer walk to DS than the Contemporary is to MK. The resort had 60 day fast pass window, plus EMH access. The resort was clean, comfortable and nice, but had zero theming. It cost $130 per night, including tax, plus the resort fee. I can't remember how much that was, but I think it was about $35/night, so let's use $165 as the price. I just put in the contemporary for September, probably one of the lowest rates, and it came up $622 w/o taxes. Let's just use $500/ night after discounts and taxes. Also, let's say 3 nights. We're looking at $500 vs. $1500. We still need to get to/from the airport at an offsite, so let's say it's $100 rt for a Lyft. That leaves us with $900.

You'll be missing the Contemporary, so do the brunch. ($125 with tax and tip). Is the offsite bus too confusing?. Take a Lyft every morning (3X) to the parks ($50). (Time Saving when you need it!) True, you have to be dropped off at the TTC for MK, (the other drop offs are close) but the boat is so cool, it's almost like getting an extra ride before the park opens. Coming back at night you can take the Disney Springs Bus, so that you can walk through DS to get a little magic on the way to the hotel. Of course, you can't walk through Disney Springs without grabbing a drink at those cool restaurants (one each night). ($75) But there's still so much money left over! You should stop at the World of Disney to get one of those cool Lougefly backpacks to store all that $$. ($80).

So that leaves
$900-$125-$50-$75-$80=$570

With Lyft service every morning, brunch at the top, experiencing 3 DS bars, and a backpack.

Frame it the right way, and you're not missing out on Deluxe.

Everyone’s math is different. I don’t care about brunch or overpriced backpacks. I care about convenience. Ignoring the intangibles of a Deluxe stay for a moment, the biggest practical benefit IMO to staying at CR is getting home at night after fireworks. By the time other guests have gotten on a bus you can easily already be back in your room. After experiencing something similar during my BC stay, walking past tired and agitated Skyliner guests who had to go get buses at BWI because the gondolas were down all night, and back in my room in 5 minutes, it was worth every penny I paid to stay there. Waiting on a DS bus and then walking across creation to get back to your room is really no comparison. There’s absolutely nothing in that list of alternatives you gave that would be worth me giving up that convenience, especially as a solo female traveler. And frankly the last thing I‘d want to do after fighting end of the night MK crowds is bar hop, but that’s just me.

If you enjoy Disney boats enough to consider them an attraction (I know I do), then again there’s no comparison because you have a plethora of them at and around CR. The boat ride to Ft Wilderness is lovely. Same with the Poly/GF resort launch, which you have easy access to. Even the Port Orleans resorts have the DS boat, which is also an incredibly scenic trip. As much as I enjoyed eating at and walking around DS, it really is a glorified outdoor mall for the most part, and the cost savings would not be worth it to me. I value park proximity that highly.

I second that boat ride from Port Orleans to what used to be Downtown Disney (sorry, haven’t been to WDW since 2002). And Port Orleans is so compact the walk from front ( bus pickup) to back (boat pickup) is nothing. It is a moderate resort that was awesome. I stayed at the Grand Californian last September and that was awesome but Disneyland does not have as many choices.

One of the advantages of a solo trip is being able to change your plans on the spur of the moment. Staying at a Deluxe close to your favorite park gives you even more flexibility. Decide to walk over to the fireworks every night? Done. Need a mid-day break from all the MK fun? Done. Want to monorail to Epcot for dinner? Done. Snagged a last minute reservation for breakfast at Ft. Wilderness? Easy boat ride.

On a tight budget (or any budget), time is money. A 4 day solo trip for me equals a 6 day trip with my beloved family. I can do more in 4 days on my own that we can manage in 6 days with the 8 of us. Maybe you could shave off a day or two to save money and still have the Deluxe experience.

I have stayed at Deluxe solo (Yacht Club, multiple times, and moderates POR & POFQ solo) and when I do it's always because I plan on spending a significant amount of time each day day at the resort. I also love the location but it's not in my budget to book it just for location. I personally would only do it if it's worth the price - you say the cost will be noticeable, and I always want to make sure I get my money's worth. Will you use the amenities you're paying for?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter