$$$ Deposit when renting?

Family Fun Mom

<font color=green>No longer tagless... my wit has
I hope this is the right place to ask this...

We are very seriously considering renting a two bedroom for our next trip in Aug '08. I have a pretty good idea of how the renting process works, but my question is do you normally pay a deposit when renting from an owner? How much of a deposit? I'm sure it varies from person to person, but I was hoping for a ball park figure or %.

Thanks for your time DVCers! (someday I hope to be one of you;))

Most renters would want 50% up fornt and the remaing 50% whne you recive the confirmation. As far as refundable???? well that person renting deserves a % period if you cancel less than 31 days prior than nothing should be refunded. You will be getting a hotel a huge discount and the renter really does not make a lot of money. the truth is renting at 10 a point the renter may be making around $2.00 a point which is not a whole considering the risk the renter is taking as well. The relationship is based on trust.... if you do not feel comfortable with the relationship or the renters terms then you are better off booking a room directly with Disney. The best advice is be sure the dates you wnat and that you will make those dates as this is where most problmes are you are renting the use of a personal contract it would be like renting out your personal car for 1/3 what a car rental company charges.
Good Luck

my question is do you normally pay a deposit when renting from an owner? How much of a deposit? I'm sure it varies from person to person, but I was hoping for a ball park figure or %.

yep - it varies by individual.

in general, i'd expect to deposit 25% to 50% ahead of time, unless the reservation was made on short notice - in which case 100% might be due up front.

There is only one answer to your question:

The particulars of your DVC rental are entirely between you and the owner you rent from. Renting a DVC ressie is a private transaction between one individual and another, and what other DVC owners do is totally irrelevent if your owner has a different policy.

That said, most DVC rentals are going to involve a significant deposit at some point, followed by payment in full a substantial amount of time prior to arrival.

I would always consider a DVC rental a final transaction, with no latitude for cancelling or rescheduling. A DVC rental is nothing like a hotel reservation and the owner may not be able to help you at all if your plans change.

If you can achieve trust with the owner you're dealing with, and are comfortable with the virtually unchangeable nature of the transaction, you can save significant money by renting a DVC ressie. But it's not for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter