Destash 2018 Bust the Dust

Having salvation army come tomorrow get about 15 bags full of clothes shoes and bunch of books and *gulp*
vhs tapes i found in the garage.

Was cleaning out part of the garage and found a sealed container of a bunch of beanie babies. I remember long long
ago when a close friend of mine use to buy them. I also found a floor balance beam my daughter use to practice on
when she was 5. She is 18 now. I was going to donate but decided to put it on craigslist. Within 15 minutes someone
texted and came within the hour to buy. That was an easy 75 dollars.

Found hubby's beloved baseball cards he refuses to let go off. Looking at ebay...they will not be going for much:snooty:
How many beanie babies were for sale? Pretty sure we have hundreds of them from when DH was collecting them many moons ago. They are just in the basement collecting dust.

My cousin lives in a subdivision with a "neighborhood garage sale" every spring, so she and I have decided to participate. I already have about 5 boxes of stuff to sell. Unfortunately I don't have a good place to store the boxes of stuff until the sale, so they are stacked up in my guest room.

I went to the basement to get something from the deep freeze and found some packages of dinner rolls that had been in there for years and had so much freezer burn, you couldn't even tell what they were, so they were tossed.

3 more things left the house between yesterday and today

Travel Coffee mug (cracked trash)
Refrigerator deodorizer (some battery operated thing and batteries corroded, trash)
ANOTHER travel coffee mug, the previous was yesterday (this one leaked, trash)

Year total: 53 items

Trashed/recycled an empty shampoo bottle, 6 dead pens, and 9 pencils that had the erasers worn off.

Year Total: 34 items

1967/2018. 53 items
Sold a single Bed Mattress today for $25
Recycled 5 cardboard boxes.
1 Mattress pad
1 sheet
My Fitbit broke. Garbage-1 year warranty is past.

Last edited:
How many beanie babies were for sale? Pretty sure we have hundreds of them from when DH was collecting them many moons ago. They are just in the basement collecting dust.

Look on ebay. I went through every beanie baby we had under a "sold " search to get an idea on the price range.
Some were the same 6 or 7 bunch i paid for and some seem to be selling for more. You never know if you have
a few with "errors". I had some. As of now i will stick with them but in future may sell some since they are taking
up space.

May I join? My goal this year is to get rid of the "stuff" that no longer brings me joy. I'm hoping to sell some of it to raise money for our trip to Disney in August (not officially on the books yet). (I sell locally via facebook)

So far, I've:
  • Boxed up 9 boxes of books (from the original 18) that had been stored in our basement while I waited for our library to actually get built. (It had been "promised" for YEARS, but DH and I finally got it done the day before Christmas. :)
  • Sold a few kitchen items
  • Sold a beautiful Amish hanging quilt that unfortunately no longer worked in our house
  • Listed 6 of my kid's jackets that no longer fit (one sold today!)
  • Bagged up some other jackets/baby mittens that either don't fit, or my kids just don't like.
  • Threw out old mittens/gloves that had holes

This weekend I plan to go through & list quite a few more items, plus go through my twins' clothes and check for unwearable/no longer fitting clothes & shoes, and go through my clothes (I recently lost weight through weight watchers) to donate what no longer fits. (That'll be another 2-3 bags of stuff!)

My husband will be working on his office which became a bit of a catch-all room, to get rid of stuff we don't need there.

Friday evening got rid of a couple of more items

1 small plush animal - donated
1 freezer burned bag of strawberries - trashed

2 items left the house

19 items of 2018 or 9.81% of goal

Last edited:
Im in.. I want to aim for a large garbage bag a week..... so 52 bags by end of year......plus papers( to go thru) .. have so many to shred or use as fire starter in my wood burning stove...
Well so far this year 3/52 bags.... and one large bag of papers gone........

I'm going to join in. I had cleaned out my clothes last year, but still clearly had to get tougher with myself. I have two very large black trash bags full of items. Some favorite heels that are too worn to wear to work anymore and a sweater that I LOVE but has become too pilly to wear. I keep wearing the same clothes over and over again so I need to get rid of the extra stuff.

I want to tackle one area at a time and completely finish in 2018.

• Sold a pair of earrings
  • Sold a skirt
  • Sent 2 thank you notes
  • Trashed some dried-out Clorox wipes
Year Total: 39 items

Snow day today!
Recent mini projects-
-linen closet-tossed DD’s mostly empty lotion bottles and some misc stuff, set aside some sheets to donate

-front hall closet-recycled some phone books, old product (cameras, phones, etc) boxes, and a big stack of product booklets for things we no longer own. Separated rest into belongings we’ll keep and a stack of booklets in a binder for next homeowner. Stove, windows, etc.

-collected some Christmas decorations to donate

It’s supposed to warm up later this week so I’ll drop everything off this weekend.

Last time (the only time) I posted in here, I got rid of 9 items, my first 9 of the new year. Just this weekend, I threw away a bag of old receipts (10). I also sold 3 old Christmas decoration, a handheld video camera and bag, 2 magazines and a hat. So that's 18 total out of 2018.

Still got about 3-4 boxes of old Christmas decorations that we haven't used in 2-3 years to go through. The other day, my wife said why am I going through and selling everything. It's pointless. Well, I've raised some money with it, and she always wants to use the money to go eat or buy some clothes.

Used up some items around the house this month from the pantry/freezer/under the sink.

Making a real effort to empty out and use up what food is stored here to make some needed room and save a few dollars as well.

43 food items were used up so far this month

241 items of 2018 or 11.94% of goal

DH's parents were visiting this weekend. They're not really active people so there was a lot of sitting. When they left we both went a little crazy with destashing. We filled up 8-10 good sized boxes with items to donate. It's such a great feeling when we're both feeling productive at the same time.

Not much going on. DD was sick with flu. Finally moved her back to her dorm. My sciatica has been acting up but I managed to go through my paper piles on my desk. I through away junk mail and went through mail to shred. Once I get my kallax shelf for my closet I will be able to organize my pil under my desk.

Went through junk mail in den and mail.

Cleared off counter top in kitchen. Dh had his snack on it.

I got a massage yesterday and it really helped with my pressure I was feeling in my lower back and butt. I think its sciatica but no shooting pain just pressue. Today I had more energy and did a lil decluttering. hopefully I feel better so I can get more done

After a few crazy weeks we finally have a free day today. I hope to get through the spare bedroom which has become a dumping ground for stuff.

I did two small shelves yesterday but not much left the house.

I was able to get rid of a few more items yesterday, especially since we are making a concentrated effort to eat out of the freezer and pantry this month. Finding all sorts of stuff I don't actually remember buying (obviously they have been in there a long time!!!)

1 can of condensed milk (expired) - trashed
4 freezer burned packages of fruit - trashed
8 items from pantry and freezer - used up
1 can of easy off - used up
5 cardboard boxes - cut up and recycled

19 items left the house/used up

260 items of 2018 or 12.88% of goal

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter