Destash 2018 Bust the Dust

I got most of the way through the hall bath and the extra bedroom. A whole bag of trash and another huge bag of donations. The extra bedroom still needs more decluttering but it is a little more organized now.

Purged some items this week:
Sold
2 - running accessories (sold on eBay)
Tossed
2 - decorative coffee tins
12 - display boxes
2 - comic books
2 - Star Wars plastic helmets
5 - duplicate buttons from D23
8 - magic bands
Weekly total of 33

2018 total = 86 items gone

I wish I would have joined this last year...I bet I could gotten 2017 items. We purged a ton last year because of our move to NC. I can't tell you how good it feels to be in a new place without clutter and I don't even have a storage unit like we used to. Decluttering to that extreme really taught me the true value of our belongings.

February is Clean and scrub your Refrigerator."

How does cheese get moldy so fast.

I threw out 10 items outdated.
Recycled 4 boxes.

1953/2018. 67 items.

I got rid of ....

Food
-old chips
-2 jars of sauce
-over frozen fruit bagged for smoothies
-a couple of uncrustables- these never keep well. I don't know what the secret is. I can buy and put in freezer and unfreeze and the bread feels weird
-expires mini avocado spread indivual containers

Bedroom
-2 pairs of socks
-box my shaver came in
-shoe box
-some trash

Craftroom
-stuff animal bear, markers and bear blankie
-hair bands, ponytails, clips
-coloring activity book
-colorforms activity book set
-bag of dd's old sweaters
-3 boxes
-cleared out 2-3 containers

Not much but baby steps. I told hubby on Saturday we need to do a little work in the garage.

Got rid of a couple of random items yesterday:

2 plastic grocery bags of plastic grocery bags - recycled
1 random empty CD case - recycled

3 items left the house

263 items of 2018 or 13.03% of goal

5 bags of trash left my house this week. Many old papers and receipts. I shredded some of it.
Threw away a couple of dozen old style magic bands.

I have 3 desks set up and it was getting crazy. One desk will leave this spring after I've reassessed what furniture I want to keep. I have too much stuff. One desk will continue to be a desk and the other will become a table.

Found some Disney pins and old gift cards with small amounts still on them. Found 56 pennies, 2 dimes, 3 nickels and 3 quarters. Added them to the change drawer.

Redesigned my kitchen in my mind. It was redone 10 years ago and is still fine - I just feel like a change. I am considering incorporating my laundry into the kitchen area so as not to have to do it in the basement area.

Just a few more items from the last couple of days not much but every little bit helps make some much needed space!
Made lots of room and saved a boat load of money in Jan. by trying to use up as much as possible from the pantry/freezer.

I guess slow and steady will win the race. Last year I just barely hit 50% of my goal of 2017 items and even though I did not meet the goal it was still a pretty good win with all the items that left the house! If I can exceed last years benchmark I will still be doing very well!

1 book donated
1 DVD - donated
1 notepad - used up
3 freezer/pantry items- used up

6 items left the house

269 items of 2018 or 13.33% of goal

1968/2018. 68 items

I put in the garbage this morning a skillet pan. The rivets are coming loose and it is dangerous to use. My dh tried to fix it, but the screw holes are stripped.

I wish I would have joined this last year...I bet I could gotten 2017 items. We purged a ton last year because of our move to NC. I can't tell you how good it feels to be in a new place without clutter and I don't even have a storage unit like we used to. Decluttering to that extreme really taught me the true value of our belongings.

That sounds so relaxing! We are planning a move to Charlotte next year and I am clearing stuff out now in anticipation! This time next year we hope to do the final steps before putting this house on the market.

I love reading about what everyone is clearing out. I’m in the mood to purge today and have been looking through cabinets and drawers.

-cloth napkins, ceramic shaker, planter, 2 baskets, towel, sheets, ice cube trays, etc all in the donate box

DH had agreed to help clear out the garage today. However, he got sick this week and not sure I want to tackle it alone. I might just stick to collecting donations and getting those loaded up finally. I’ve put it off due to the cold.

Last edited:
9 more items gone this week

Tossed
Dryerballs (didn't like the clanking in the dryer)
Earbuds (cheap ones that were free)

Sold on Ebay
7 Vinylmations

Brings 2018 total of 95 items
1923 to go!

2 bags of clothes and 1 box of kitchen stuff and cookbooks to the Goodwill. 2 bags of trash from the basement thrown out. Another bag of jackets and box of kitchen stuff ready to go to the Goodwill. Feels good to have progress. We want to get the house on the market in the next few weeks.

Yesterday I finally cleaned out the pantry. Its gets stuffed with stuff and we forget about it , since we can't see what's all in there. I told hubby no more buying junk, snacks or stocking up on stuff. I got rid of
-3 large peanut butter h=jars from Costco
-opened pack of cookies from IKEA
-2 boxes of gram crackers
-small box of individual snack size nutella
-jar of gravy
-a few other things that I can't remember

My daughter & I cleaned out our pantry on Sunday - got rid of expired food & reorganized it a bit better... She likes to clean/organize, so I think she'll be my go to for de-stashing. :) (I don't know where she gets it from...)

A few more items left the house today!!

1 Frayed Lead Cord - Trashed
3 books - donated
2 trophies to Robotics Center

6 items left the house

275 items of 2018 or 13.62% of goal

I am going to join in here. I am in major decluttering mode. I did the Marie Kondo thing with my clothes. I have 2 more bins to go through. So many clothes I was keeping for "someday" if I lose weight, if I gain weight, if it comes back in style, it might be useful some day......I got rid of 6 trash bags. I can see my attic floor!
I also got rid of extra "tupperware". Who needs all those storage containers?Also paired down my dishes and travel mugs. Im looking forward to an organized home in 2018.
Been watching organization you tube videos.

For the person who sells on Poshmark... disneybookworn? can you explain how that is done? Is it better than ebay?

For the person who sells on Poshmark... disneybookworn? can you explain how that is done? Is it better than ebay?

I've never used eBay, but I find Poshmark pretty easy to use. Poshmark is a clothes and makeup website. You create a listing with pictures and information about the clothes you want to sell, and if someone wants to buy it, they can either buy it outright or make an offer. Poshmark takes a commission that varies based on the price of the item. One thing that's really nice is that sellers don't have to pay for shipping, and you can use the free boxes from the USPS. I've made about $400 in just over a year, and it's also helped me declutter! If you want a more in depth explanation, there's a great Poshmark subreddit.

Last edited:
The garage is on hold until it warms up but I’ve been getting things done inside. I went through a trunk of teaching materials and collected some books to donate and old papers to recycle. I’ve been going back through cabinets and drawers seeing what else I won’t want to pack next year and adding more donations or trash. It feels great to get rid of stuff!

DD24 left some stuff here when she moved in 2016 and DD17 changed rooms. The spare room has been collecting items since then. The closet is almost empty now except for yearbooks, some LEGO sets, and DDs’ old costumes and formal dresses. The dresser that holds gift bags is cleaned out too.

-papers and stack of old magazine recycled
-more clothes, odds and ends, canisters, pic frames, craft supplies in donate pile
-gift bags sorted or tossed if too wrinkled
-party decorations sorted

I’m trying to get to the point that I won’t be packing anything I don’t love. I am definitely guilty of being way too sentimental about items and working hard to stay realistic about what to keep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!