Destash 2018 Bust the Dust

Another car load went to the Goodwill this weekend. Most of it was stuff we moved into the house 9 years ago and haven't looked at since. Why were we keeping so much stuff?

Our small storage unit is half way full of stuff we want to keep. It has all been sorted through but it is still just so much stuff.

We hope to get the house listed in the next few weeks so some of the purging will have to stop temporarily at least. It is hard because I know there is more stuff we can get rid of.

14 more items gone in the past week

Tossed the following
Liter of Conditioner
2x Bath & Body Works Soaps
Curling Gel
Face Soap
NOTE - the stuff above was almost full it was stuff I bought and didn't end up liking, I don't count items that are used up and I toss towards my purge #'s
Bath Rug - bought new one as ours was getting pretty old
8 Bath Towels - getting pretty bad shape and bought new ones

Total for 2018 now up to 109 items gone
1909 to go!

Not a very productive week but at least a few items left the house!!

1 notepad - used up
10 bars of hotel soap - used up (last of it today!)
1 box of assorted small robotics parts - Robotics Center

12 items left the house

287 items of 2018 or 14.22% of goal

Just spent another4 hours in the basement.

2 bags of garbage and I’ll say there was at least 25 items in each bag.
1 bag of clothes is going to St. Vincent’s. I counted 10items.
I realized I had so many Disney t-shirts or sweatshirts, that I am going to make myself a t-shirt quilt. I was at Hobby Lobby and found a Disney fleece in the bargain bin for the backing.

I found my wedding veil. 37 years old. I slipped it in the bag that is around my wedding dress box. I want to open the box this summer. Neither daughters wanted to look at it and both are married now.

129/2018

Finally got the basement to look livable. Threw out a broken dining chair, old rug, a broken lamp. Still a lot more to go but it feels good to see the floor. :rotfl2:

Dh worked on Saturday so my plan was to sleep in on Saturday . I woke up at 7am and couldn't go back to sleep :/
I made breakfast and planned on going back to bed. After breakfast I went back to bed and watched some tv. Went to the bathroom and decided to clean my bathroom. Went back to watch tv. Then decied to dust off my amorie. Then somehow I ended up cleaning out my closet.
I tossed
-1 shoe box
-5 pairs of underwear
-1 old sweater
-1 small bag of trash
-broken curling iron
-3 old hair products
and lots of dust
-empty snow globe box
- 2 meds empty boxes

gonna try and sell or donate
-5 pairs of jeans
-3 pairs of shoes

Last edited:
Update from the past week
  • sold 2 pairs of pants on Poshmark
  • sent 1 thank you note
  • trashed 2 lip glosses
  • trashed 1 perfume sample
  • trashed 2 old mascara tubes
Year total: 61 items

2 plastic lids
1 iron-donating a new iron I lost in packing while we moved. I bought a new one. Eventually I found it.

132/2018

Last edited:
Decided to work through the bookshelf on books to read and most likely not keeping!
Read through a bunch of my comic related TPB's over the long weekend

13 books donated

13 items left the house

300 items of 2018 or 14.86% of goal

Finally did something. Cleaned my closet and dresser and now have 6 large garbage bags for donation. One bag of actual garbage.

Of course, I managed to purchase 3 pairs of shoes and a bag over the weekend. But I signed up for Poshmark to try to sell some of my old Kate Spades. Any tips are appreciated.

Got a bit more done today between running errands and trying to relax a bit during this school break!

1 DVD - donated
1 book - donated
1 used binder - donated
1 screwdriver (dull) - trashed)
1 pair of needle nose pliers (broken) - trashed
1 broken snow shovel - trashed
1 broken clothes rack - trashed
2 empty shampoo containers under the kitchen sink - recycled
1 thermostat - returned to store
1 mag lev kit - returned to school

11 items left the house

311 items of 2018 or 15.41% of goal

Another bag of garbage from the basement. Had at least 10 items in it.
One sock and undergarments went in the trash today.
145/2018

While cleaning up a bit today getting ready to have a contractor come by tomorrow evening and give me an estimate on some work, I managed to get rid of few things!!

1 tape dispenser - robotics center
2 Books - donated
1 bag of 3D printed balls - donated community art project
2 mason jars - back to the person who sent the soup
12 damaged ceiling tiles - trashed
6 dead pens - trashed
6 freezer burned donuts - trashed
1 Toilet brush - trashed
1 book - recycled
2 cardboard boxes - recycled
1 broken plastic container - recycled
1 container mop and glo used up and recycled
3 swiffer wipes used up and recycled the box

38 items left the house

349 items of 2018 or 17.29% of goal

Took a 6' x 8' box trailer to Goodwill on Monday. They wouldn't accept anything Christmas. :( But I did unload a huge stash from the garage. Still stuck with the Christmas stuff.

This weekend, taking 3 couches to the dump since no one will take them for free (replaced them with one sectional).

As much as it pains me, I will throw out 11 weather damaged books this weekend--all except the 1926 bird book Papa gave me. I'll also continue to work on the garage bench and get it organized. Taking one area at a time and avoiding the office because it's just going to be a BIG ol' mess.

One pair of tennis shoes went to donation today.
One yellow cardigan went into the garbage. Big stain on the sleeve.

Sunda - today I cleaned both bathrooms, then cleaned out a kitchen junk drawer. Lots,of shredded papers and old bills. Now I want to go back to the basement and work on pictures, but the sun is shining and it is had to get motivated to go down there.
157/2018

Last edited:
One pair of tennis shoes went to donation today.
One yellow cardigan went into the garbage. Big stain on the sleeve.
147/2018

I got a new bedspread for my California King bed and it was short like a quilt. I hate seeing the sides of the bed stick out. I sewed the 2 pillow shams, that came with the bedspread, plus I had to use a third sham that I bought on the clearance rack at Target and it added 2 extra feet onto my bedspread. You cannot tell since it is a patchwork. It keeps showing up as an advertisement, because I bought it at JCP. So I felt thrifty today.

I have been in the mood to tackle things but I can't stay focused on just one area. I keep looking at info on our new city and thinking about how much I don't enjoy packing. So it motivates me to get rid of stuff now. Hopefully by this time next year, we'll be ready to pack easily.

Today -
-threw away a handful of make up samples and tiny brushes
-bent safety pins
-recycled some used up soap containers - trying to go through my stashes and use up what we have before buying new.
-cleaned out top of fridge cabinet - donated 5 unopened packages of cellophane holiday treat bags, threw away some old napkins, donated 6 flower vases that came with deliveries
-donate pile - several things that DD left and doesn't want
-recycled some glass containers
-cleaned out a laundry basket that had previously been used as storage, ready to actually use for clothes now!
-purple tank top - in donate pile
-donate pile- teaching books I don't use
-went through most of DD's old stuff/guest room and have piles for donate and toss that I need to move out of there

Did some packing today for our move and DD went through her drawers under the bed. Bag of trash from that, shredding and random things. A few more items getting donated.
Have 8 boxes to move to garage. Will finish up our pre-showing packing this week then do some closet/cupboard staging.
Will start the deep cleaning, touch up paint and getting the windows washed and handyman coming in soon to do a couple small things.

Will get dates finalized this week with agent on showing and our move out dates.

3 picture frames - Robotics Center for team pictures

3 items left the house

378 items of 2018 or 18.73% of goal

28 things taken on Sunday to Goodwill, about the same to the trash. And now, I can see my office floor! Still have some work to do in there, but it's nice to see progress.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!