Destination Race Ideas

*DisneyDreamer

DIS Veteran
Hey all,

I am posting this thread to get ideas from all of you on destination races that are worth traveling for. In particular, I am looking for races held in the summer (mid-June to mid-August ideally) as I am a teacher and summer vacation is my most flexible time to travel. It would be great to find an option that could lend itself to taking the trip to run the race at the beginning, and then staying for sightseeing/touring.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I really want to do Napa to Sonoma but I agree on holding off because of fires.

I also want to do a Ragnar relay but that requires a whole group.

I'd also throw in Wineglass Marathon and Half Marathon in Corning, NY. The course is beautiful with a lot of fall foliage and it's easy to then spend some time in the Finger Lakes if you want wine.

And if you're ever travelling international @FFigawi introduced me to the idea of the Marathon Du Medoc which I definitely want to do one day.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! So many great sounding races. Unfortunately there don't seem to be quite as many over the summer. It's times like these where I wish I had more flexibility with my job to try some of these out.

I second Vacation Races.

The Rome marathon is my top of the list marathon. I look more at places I want to visit and then find a run there if possible. I think you'll find a lot less options in the summer months unless you look north due to the timing of marathons and halves. When I travel in the summer I may have to settle more for a 5K or 10K. If you have any spring or fall breaks you may want to look at races then. A fall race in New England, preferably near Acadia National Park, is high on my list so I can see fall colors and have cooler weather.

I second Vacation Races.

The Rome marathon is my top of the list marathon. I look more at places I want to visit and then find a run there if possible. I think you'll find a lot less options in the summer months unless you look north due to the timing of marathons and halves. When I travel in the summer I may have to settle more for a 5K or 10K. If you have any spring or fall breaks you may want to look at races then. A fall race in New England, preferably near Acadia National Park, is high on my list so I can see fall colors and have cooler weather.
Considering the Glacier National Park race which is in June.

A New England run in the fall would be amazing! Unfortunately our only real breaks are Christmas and Easter/Spring Break, which aren't ideal times for races. Although it is how I managed to get to Dark Side this April. The race fell at the end of our Spring Break.

If you’re willing to travel to Alaska, I really enjoyed the Anchorage Mayor’s Marathon in June!

Also - be careful with altitude sickness on Pikes Peak. Traveled to the mountains often, been to the top of Pike’s Peak several times, never had altitude sickness until I did the Pike’s Peak Ascent. I then signed up for it again the next year, hiked it again a few weeks before the race. Got sick again. Debated whether to actually do the race, but went ahead and did it. This time I went up an extra day early, took altitude sickness medicine, and I survived! I guess third time’s a charm for hiking up that mountain. It just seems so random when it happens, but I think my body doesn’t like going from 1000 ft to 14,000 ft in less than 24 hours (and maybe that includes having an elevated heart rate for hours during the hike/race).

Any AZ people here doing the Phoenix Women's Half in January? I am looking into do more races next year and I just keep getting blown away at how affordable ~other~ races are. $45 for a 10k? $75 for a Half? Dang.

i want to do the OCC ... and maybe one day the UTMB. I figure I should start small, right? aim low, yeah? oh boy.

yeah, the OCC is a 53km ultra trail run: Orsieres - Champex - Chamonix. UTMB is 166km. But its not the miles, it is the mountains that get you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter