Detroit Airport Tips???

Coldpony

Earning My Ears
We will be parking for a week and flying out on Delta from DTW next Saturday.

We are a large party with 5 kids and 3 adults.

Any tips on parking and getting checked in etc....

Thanks!

Make sure you give yourself enough time! We flew out at 6:45 last December. Since we got there at 4:45 we did curbside checkin and went right to the gate. I noticed even 1/2 hour later that the lines were getting really long, esp. security. Don't underestimate the time you need, esp. at peak periods. The Delta website can give you an estimate of the time you need.
Robin M.

We flew out of Metro a couple of weeks ago but on NWA which is in the new terminal. Didn't park as my hubby dropped us off. Use curbside check in. We waited behind 1 person and were off. There was a long line both at e tickets and the regular line inside. We got there 2 hours early and had more than enough time. Security line wasn't too bad either. We were probably at the gate in about 20 minutes or less.

If you are being dropped off I would recommend that the person driving just drops you off at curbside because as soon as you get inside the doors they have to leave you. You will have plenty of time to say goodbye and unload your luggage and the outside check in is right there. Much easier with little kids. No walking down to the gate area for anyone but passengers. If you are using long term parking we have always used Park and Jet which is on the other side of the highway behind uhhh some hotel. We have never had a problem, very efficent pick up and delivery even late at night. I think a year and a half ago it cost us $50.00 for 8 or 9 days.

Oh now I reread and see you are parking for a week. Again Park and Jet was fine with us. You can do a search and come up with some off site parking. Have never parked onsite. A few years ago a travel agent told us it was a lot more expensive. My husband may remember the exact directions if you are interested..he isn't home right now.

i've used two different off site parking. One is behind the Ramada and the other is in the same area as the courtyard,Marriott hotel area. Both will pick you up at your car and take you to the airport,then on return will pick you up at the airport and return you to your car. Since both times we had an early flight(7am) we stayed at the hotel by the parking areas. We didn't care for the Ramamda but really liked the Marriott. At the Marriott we stayed one night and had included 8 days parking and I beleive(parking package) it was about 100.00 total(dec,2000). My husband said the next time if its winter he'll park in the garage. A big snowstorm happened while we were in florida and we almost couldn't find our truck. Susan

GO plenty early! There's not enough space for me to rant about how much I HATE this airport, (I've had several bad experiences there and refuse to even have a layover in Detroit anymore) and I understand they've changed it, but it still gets very congested. Make sure to double check your departing gate # too- seems like they change them and don't tell people.

Dizgirl, if you are close enough (sorry to say I don't know where St. Joseph is) think about Toledo--it's a great little airport.
Robin M.

Park & Jet is fine, but so is the "green economy lot" at Metro--we've used both (as well as the Ramada Inn park & fly package). The car was right where we left it on those two occasions. We've also done the Marriott package and the Fairfield Inn offers a park & fly for under $90. One night stay with 7 nights parking. We were gone longer, but it didn't cost a great deal more for the extra few nights.

I don't recall the economy lots at Metro being more expensive than the off site parking. It may well be, I just can't remember it impressing me as such.

I second the curbside check-in--usually quicker at Metro AND that's where you'll be dropped if you use one of the offsite/onsite parking lots.

Ditto the comments from Robin including the Toledo airport. We'll be flying from there in two days. Toledo is a much smaller, friendlier airport--you just can't get a straight shot! It's always something. . .

We just got back a few weeks ago. We didn't have any problems. This is what we ALWAYS do:

DH drops me, kids and luggage off for curbside checkin. He waits until we are checked in (because they need to see his ID) and then he heads off to US Park to park the car. I should mention that we rarely have any wait at curbside checkin.

DH takes the US Park bus back and makes his way to the gate with the carry on luggage. In the mean time, the kids and I zip through security which took about 10 minutes tops.

When we return home, DH takes 4 year old and gets our car. I take 7 year old and get the luggage. DH pulls up, loads the car up and we are off.

I know DTW gets a lot of bad press. We fly as a family out of DTW at least 3 times a year (DH flies more often then that). We have never had any major problems that would interfer with or ruin our trips while using DTW....knock on wood! lol

Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter