DHS Construction update thread (Read Post 1) Updated 8/21/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorry for double posting but did anyone else notice on the display board for runaway railway that the screenshots still had the youtube icons on it?

So once Toy Story and Galaxies Edge is open, do we think that’s it for the Studios in terms of new lands or will they start closing off more areas?

My natural instinct would be animation courtyard will close and become a new area. They can do a lot there that won’t have much effect of the rest of the Park.

What they do there I’m not totally sure. My two choices would be a Pixar area where they move the laugh floor over from MK and put it in the little mermaid building. It will be a smaller version but I think it would suit much better. Move some Pixar meet and greets there too.

Other option I would do is a classic animation area. Move Walt Disney presents into launch bay and bring back hand drawn animation classes. A proper history of Walt with the theatre. Oswald meet and greet. Retro Disney merchandise too.

Echo lake and star Tours area is going to need a serious amount of work too. I’d say stick with Indiana Jones there but it seems talk of that going to Animal Kingdom.

So once Toy Story and Galaxies Edge is open, do we think that’s it for the Studios in terms of new lands or will they start closing off more areas?

My natural instinct would be animation courtyard will close and become a new area. They can do a lot there that won’t have much effect of the rest of the Park.

What they do there I’m not totally sure. My two choices would be a Pixar area where they move the laugh floor over from MK and put it in the little mermaid building. It will be a smaller version but I think it would suit much better. Move some Pixar meet and greets there too.

Other option I would do is a classic animation area. Move Walt Disney presents into launch bay and bring back hand drawn animation classes. A proper history of Walt with the theatre. Oswald meet and greet. Retro Disney merchandise too.

Echo lake and star Tours area is going to need a serious amount of work too. I’d say stick with Indiana Jones there but it seems talk of that going to Animal Kingdom.

I have thought for the past several years after New Fantasy Land was completed that resort wide changes would be happening for massive preparations for WDW's 50th anniversary. It started with the complete overhaul of DD to Disney Springs, the redesign of MK's hub, and coupled with refurbs and additions to DAK (Yay Pandora!). After much of that was accomplished, attention was shifted to DHS which is what we are currently in the middle of in a big way. I believe that after TSL, the Great Mickey Ride and SW:GE are completed (along with other minor park enhancements), as well as the Disney Skyliner, more attention will be given to Epcot. This, by the way, is also facilitating the refurbs and expansions at CBR and CS, as well as the addition of the Riviera DVC resort.

The Epcot one, however, appears to be significant in size and scope. They already redid rides like Soarin' Over the World and Test Track. Now add to it a revamped M:S and the new additions that are coming: GotG coaster, Ratatouille, UK attraction, Space Restaurant, and a newly envisioned entrance and spine through Epcot's FW. And this - IMHO - is wave one of more to come to Epcot. I believe that there will be a lot more done in terms of the Innoventions area, Imagination Pavilion redo, at least one more country added, Illuminations 2.0, and who knows what else. It also wouldn't surprise me if minor changes are made throughout the entire park to better support the almost year-round festivals that occur there. Epcot's 40th is basically right after MK's 50th, so I expect there to be no let up on what is coming to Epcot. I have always felt that Disney has started to look at Epcot as their "ace in the hole" from a strategic standpoint when going up against UNI. The Universal Orlando parks are really taking Disney to task, and when Nintendo Land opens, and the new Potter Coaster, and possibly gate #3, I don't think that Disney will stop, especially with a new CEO coming in to the picture. The new leader will not want to be the CEO that lost even more market share to UNI in the Orlando market.

That is why I think that after the current projects at DHS are completed, that there will be a lull in activity as far as replacements or new additions are concerned. From a planning standpoint, Disney might want to see how the crowds react to SW:GE, as we all know that this will have a big impact on how people tour the WDW parks. Even from how people tour just DHS, I expect Disney will take some time to see what will need to be done to better balance crowds throughout that park. SW:GE is going to be absolutely crushed like Potter was when it first opened. During this time period, I think that the focus for WDW will be to stay on Epcot and return somewhat to MK as SW:GE is allowed to soak up the attention.

Talk of an Indy area in DAK has interested me and I wonder if that were to ever happen, I would think that the next areas in DHS would be the Indy Stunt Show area. Even with the massive success that SW:GE will ultimately be (and it will), as well as the new and shiny TSL, I don't see anything new happening in DHS for several years at least. To me it comes down to some type of balance for the 50th. They will want new and exciting reasons for people to visit all of the parks and I think that they are accomplishing this to some extent. Pandora in DAK, SW:GE, TSL and the Mickey Ride in DHS, Tron coaster and new MSUSA theater in MK, and GotG, Rat, and other changes to Epcot.

I would not expect any other major new change or addition in DHS until we enter the next decade.

Per most of the insiders, there will be no more "land" additions to DHS. There may be an additional ride or some upgrade in shows, but not a full on land development. At least not in any foreseeable future.

Is this what's behind green walls along the water right now?

Sorry if this has already been discussed. We came up on the boat today and was surprised to see the construction

ETA Just realized this is probably gondola area work
Along the water is the gondola station. The other side is the bus work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!