DHS Morning Plan with DAS

dreamer17555

DIS Veteran
So my 13yo son has autism. He is doing really well with masks and he might have an opportunity to go to DHS for the day with his sister. He has been given a DAS pass every visit. We normally only use them on lines over 40 mins but at HS that seems like all of them. I know about starting at Boardwalk early via Uber and mobile ordering breakfast there (which is perfect as we stay at Boardwalk last trip and my son enjoys the bakery a lot) and walking over. Once at HS then what?

I know they have a temp check line. Would there be any issue with him sitting on the ground (on a jacket) until the line opens? Is everyone very close together? I don't want him accidentally knocking into anyone.

Where should they head after that? He will likely already have his DAS from the day before (Epcot). Should she try to head towards MMRR? Or is it a throng of people and she would be better to take him toward RNRC and TOT area and try for a DAS for MMRR later in the day? Or is it smarter to start at Toy Story Land since it gets congested easily? Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

You may want to post this on the Disabilities forum as there may be some people on that page who have visited, using DAS, since the parks opened and would have specific info for you.

My kids are younger, so they don’t ride RNRC or TOT, but we did MMRR first, then grabbed a return time for Slinky from the blue guest experience umbrella that you pass when going to MMRR. They won’t give a return time until the park officially opens, so pick a headliner to do first. If they can beat the crowd to MMRR and get it out of the way, that will save them time later. Keep in mind you can tap into a DAS return 5 minutes before your window, so for things that had a 15 min wait posted, we essentially were able to walk right in. If they are trying for ROTR, make sure they know you can use the FP lane when their BG is called- just tell them you have a DAS and they will scan in.

My kids are younger, so they don’t ride RNRC or TOT, but we did MMRR first, then grabbed a return time for Slinky from the blue guest experience umbrella that you pass when going to MMRR. They won’t give a return time until the park officially opens, so pick a headliner to do first. If they can beat the crowd to MMRR and get it out of the way, that will save them time later. Keep in mind you can tap into a DAS return 5 minutes before your window, so for things that had a 15 min wait posted, we essentially were able to walk right in. If they are trying for ROTR, make sure they know you can use the FP lane when their BG is called- just tell them you have a DAS and they will scan in.

As a DAS-user, I honesty feel like it's less stressful in terms of game plan (and I am a person with very high anxiety in general, so it's all relative). Pick a headliner to start with, then do a DAS return time for the next one as soon as the park opens. If you prefer to avoid the crowds or "zig when others zag", as it were, then I might suggest heading for Toy Story when everyone else is racing for MMRR. Do Slinky first thing, maybe even do it twice if things are short enough. When it hits 10, try for a BG and then get a return time for whatever next ride he's interested in. I might suggest MFSR and killing time in SWGE because there's a lot to poke around in if the wait will be a bit. Or, if you have a later BG, head over to TOT/RNRC and save SWGE for later. After either scenario, get a return time for MMRR and do the other side of the park - Muppets, Star Tours, food, shopping, etc. - while killing the 1.5-2 hours or so for MMRR. Finish up with whichever area you didn't do earlier - either TOT/RNRC or SWGE.

(On a side note, I'm glad to hear they're still doing return times at the umbrellas in DHS, because they aren't in some other parks or it's hit-or-miss or something. I have a DAS and use a wheelchair, but my partner's feet do not appreciate having to criss-cross the park so much to get return times, go kill time, and return to the original ride so much!)

As a DAS-user, I honesty feel like it's less stressful in terms of game plan (and I am a person with very high anxiety in general, so it's all relative). Pick a headliner to start with, then do a DAS return time for the next one as soon as the park opens. If you prefer to avoid the crowds or "zig when others zag", as it were, then I might suggest heading for Toy Story when everyone else is racing for MMRR. Do Slinky first thing, maybe even do it twice if things are short enough. When it hits 10, try for a BG and then get a return time for whatever next ride he's interested in. I might suggest MFSR and killing time in SWGE because there's a lot to poke around in if the wait will be a bit. Or, if you have a later BG, head over to TOT/RNRC and save SWGE for later. After either scenario, get a return time for MMRR and do the other side of the park - Muppets, Star Tours, food, shopping, etc. - while killing the 1.5-2 hours or so for MMRR. Finish up with whichever area you didn't do earlier - either TOT/RNRC or SWGE.

(On a side note, I'm glad to hear they're still doing return times at the umbrellas in DHS, because they aren't in some other parks or it's hit-or-miss or something. I have a DAS and use a wheelchair, but my partner's feet do not appreciate having to criss-cross the park so much to get return times, go kill time, and return to the original ride so much!)
I completely agree with you about the umbrellas! HS was the only park that reliably had them last month. There were none to be seen in MK, which was a bummer. Epcot had one near Nemo, but then it was closed when we went later in the week.

My son is on the spectrum. What we’ve done is head straight to SDD and get in queue. Most people seem to head to MMRR. Then got a DAS time for MMRR. It was very hot so we went to One Man’s Dream and stayed for the film, then walked over to Mickey Minnie’s Vacation Fun short film. There was still time left, so we went into Launch Bay which is a relaxation station, but they said we could walk around and look at the displays.

There are markings for social distancing on the ground once you get near the temp check. There aren’t any from cars, bus, or Skyway. It’s kind of a free for all until you get closer to temp check. Same on the way back to transportation. The bus queues have taped markers.

We had a DAS in late September. I usually went ahead to get return times while the scooters lagged behind. We got there right at opening, not earlier, and it was pretty busy. Slinky Dog was back to Little Mermaid. We actually got the MMRR return time, then did standby for Disney Jr. I got a BG so after that we went to Rise. Lunch, then through to Toy Story Land. I got return times for Slinky while some of us did standby for other Toy Story rides.

I agree with the poster about the walking. At one point my crew was all ready to keep going, but all had strollers or scooters and I was the only one walking, plus I walked double to make it easier on them. My advice on HS is to get there early, and immediately get a return time for a big attraction. Do a smaller one while you wait that time out, if you can. It helps to have more than one adult so you can split up some.

When we went, generally wait times were 20-40 minutes. Epcot was the only place that seemed like walkons mostly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter