DHS/Toy Story Land "Early Morning Magic" (EMM) FAQ & Discussion

This morning during EMM, the my Disney experience app showed a 30 minute wait time for SDD. That doesn’t seem very good when EMM only last 1 hr. 30 mins. Does anyone know why the wait was so long this morning or is Disney starting to add too many people to EMM?

We have tickets for tomorrow as well. All this talk about getting there at 6:45am and waiting makes me nervous. It's no fun to wait in the rain. I would think they would shut down SDD if it's raining as well. Wondering if anyone has had rain on their day? How was it handled?

I just saw an opening for 2 on Mon 8/26 if anyone is looking. I am looking for 3 people which is not available so thought I would pass along the info..

If it were me I would book the 2 and keep checking for 1 additional, and just cancel the 2 if I never found the 3rd opening!

Good point! Guess I thought they should all be together for some reason but I suppose it doesn't matter since they are all for the same time :)

Good point! Guess I thought they should all be together for some reason but I suppose it doesn't matter since they are all for the same time :)
Yep, it's the same event, not like an ADR where you either get a table for a group your size or you don't. However, when you do find the additional openings you have to either call in to book it or use someone else's MDE account, because the site does treat it like an ADR and will say you have a conflicting one. I would still book what you found, the only problem is the anxiety of waiting to call in and book the next time hoping someone doesn't take it first :laughing:.

Oh good point! Well I went back and someone already took the 2 spots (hope it was someone on here waiting!), so I'll keep my eye out and know at least I can do that in the future. Thanks for letting me know about calling in too, I wouldn't have thought to do that. That's odd though if I have 3 people linked to my MDE and only assign 2 of them the reservation for EMM it should still let me assign the other person online and see it's not an overlap? Seems odd it wouldn't notice that!

We will be going tomorrow as well with a good chance of rain - here are a couple former reports during rainy days - looks like Slinky Dog still runs:

We did EMM this morning in the pouring rain. We walked right on to a bus at Pop Century at 6:30, we were planning to Uber if there wasn’t a bus coming in good time. Did bag check, got our wristbands and then we held and the turnstiles until 7 am. We opted not to go for breakfast first we went straight to the holding are just outside of the theatre.

They started to walk us back at 7:25. We did Toy Story mania first, then went to Slinky dog, it said a 15 mins queue but it was more like 5. Then we did Aliens and back to Slinky dog again. It was basically a walk on the second time. It was about 8:30 at this point, it started to rain harder and going on slinky dog was not particularly pleasant the rain felt like ice pellets on your face. We probably could have ridden 4 or 5 more times if it wasn’t for the rain.

We decided to beat the rush to breakfast and walked over to the backlot express. The breakfast was really good. We could tell when the crowds must have came in because there was a rush of people coming in for breakfast just around 9 when we were finishing. We then went over to Tower of Terror, did it twice as a walk on, Rockin Roller coaster wasn’t opened when we first went by but was on the way back out.

Probably could have walked on that as well but we opted not to. Because of the rain we decided to do shows, caught Frozen at 10:30 and then the Little Mermaid and are now on the way out at 12. Despite the rain I think it was worth it.

We went to EMM on Wednesday 2-13. We had a 7:30 slot. It was raining all morning and cold. We left CBR at 6:33 on the bus. Dropped off, got band and thru the turnstiles around 7a. We skipped breakfast and were held at the theater. A wall of Toy story mania cast members lead us back to the land at 7:23 or so. Cast members lead us the whole way. We got to slinky at 7:29. We were the first people on the second train. Pelting rain made the ride uncomfortable. It was cool and we enjoyed it. Rode Slinky 4 times, alien once and Mania twice. We left at 8:45a to get breakfast. We saw the wall of rope droppers coming. We had a FP for Rock at 9:20 but it was closed until about 11:30a. Timed it right and got in the standby line even though I had a multiple experience FP. The rained stopped around 12:30. We had a good time and well worth it.

Oh good point! Well I went back and someone already took the 2 spots (hope it was someone on here waiting!), so I'll keep my eye out and know at least I can do that in the future. Thanks for letting me know about calling in too, I wouldn't have thought to do that. That's odd though if I have 3 people linked to my MDE and only assign 2 of them the reservation for EMM it should still let me assign the other person online and see it's not an overlap? Seems odd it wouldn't notice that!
I agree with you, it seems like it shouldn't be a problem, but I'm pretty sure I've read about that being an issue on here. I would try to book online, but if you get the issue then call.

We did the EMM on Monday 3/18 at TSL and I would like to share my experience. I found the information others posted extremely helpful when planning our trip.
  • 6:30 am - Mears shuttle pick up from Caribbean Beach Old Port Royale. I used the Mears shuttle because it was recommended on here and I wanted to schedule it in advance. In the end I think taking the bus would have been fine but I would have definitely left earlier. The timing of the Mears shuttle was perfect and cost $15 plus tip.
  • 6:47 am - We were at the gate of Hollywood Studios.
  • 6:51 am - Headed for breakfast #1 at Backlot Express. We only had buffet items and hot chocolate. Plenty of time.
  • 7:14 am - Arrived at Chinese theater. There was a small(ish) group of people waiting in a crowd. We were clearly ahead of everyone else participating because it seemed most people stayed behind for breakfast or had not yet arrived. In fact on our way to the Chinese theater we passed many people who were just heading in to get breakfast.
  • 7:20 am - Opening of TSL announced and we were walked back to the Land. Stroller people should go off to the left because of the ramp and walkers off to the right for the steps.
  • 7:25 am - In line SDD first ride, couple minutes wait.
  • 7:25-7:56 - rode SDD and TSMM.
  • 7:57 - In line for 2nd SDD, waited until 8:12 to be loaded in coaster.
  • Rode SDD 3X, TSMM 2X and *** 1X until exactly 7:40.
  • 8:40 - Headed out to get ahead of rope drop crowd for Rockin' Rollercoaster.
  • 8:46 - Arrived in line for Sunset Blvd. Timing was perfect.
  • Approx. 8:50-55 (detailed notes stop here :-)) we were walked back to RR and TT, just ahead of the rope drop MASSES (crazy amount of people)!
  • We were in the first group to get on RR. Immediately after we went to TT and had a minimal wait of approximately 10 minutes.
  • Headed to breakfast after TT (not sure what time we arrived but we left there right at 10 am). We had plenty of time to eat and relax a bit before continuing on.
  • I thought the breakfast choices were kind of odd but DD and I both ordered the Smashed Avocado Toast and Egg Plate and we shared a Charcuterie Platter because we were curious. The Avocado Toast was really good! The Charcuterie was mostly good as well (it included a couple items we did not care for). I loved the fact that they had the soda machines so you could get a refill!
  • Considered the experience a complete SUCCESS! I was not a fan of having to spend the extra money to basically get to ride SDD more than once but I did think it was an awesome experience and made our day so much more enjoyable. Would definitely recommend if the budget allows. To get the most value it is imperative to get there EARLY and enjoy all the benefits (2 breakfasts, riding rides at TSL multiple times, being ahead of the crowd to get on RR and TT).
If anyone has any specific questions, please feel free to ask!

Last edited:
We did the EMM on Monday 3/18 at TSL and I would like to share my experience. I found the information others posted extremely helpful when planning our trip.
  • 6:30 am - Mears shuttle pick up from Caribbean Beach Old Port Royale. I used the Mears shuttle because it was recommended on here and I wanted to schedule it in advance. In the end I think taking the bus would have been fine but I would have definitely left earlier. The timing of the Mears shuttle was perfect and cost $15 plus tip.
  • 6:51 am - Headed for breakfast #1 at Backlot Express. We only had buffet items and hot chocolate. Plenty of time.
  • 7:14 am - Arrived at Chinese theater. There was a small(ish) group of people waiting in a crowd. We were clearly ahead of everyone else participating because it seemed most people stayed behind for breakfast or had not yet arrived. In fact on our way to the Chinese theater we passed many people who were just heading in to get breakfast.
  • 7:20 am - Opening of TSL announced and we were walked back to the Land. Stroller people should go off to the left because of the ramp and walkers off to the right for the steps.
  • 7:40 - Headed out to get ahead of rope drop crowd for Rockin' Rollercoaster.
  • 7:46 - Arrived in line for Sunset Blvd. Timing was perfect.
  • Approx. 7:50-55 (detailed notes stop here :-)) we were walked back to RR and TT, just ahead of the rope drop MASSES (crazy amount of people)!
  • We were in the first group to get on RR. Immediately after we went to TT and had a minimal wait of approximately 10 minutes.
  • Headed to breakfast after TT (not sure what time we arrived but we left there right at 10 am). We had plenty of time to eat and relax a bit before continuing on.
  • I thought the breakfast choices were kind of odd but DD and I both ordered the Smashed Avocado Toast and Egg Plate and we shared a Charcuterie Platter because we were curious. The Avocado Toast was really good! The Charcuterie was mostly good as well (it included a couple items we did not care for). I loved the fact that they had the soda machines so you could get a refill!
  • Considered the experience a complete SUCCESS! I was not a fan of having to spend the extra money to basically get to ride SDD more than once but I did think it was an awesome experience and made our day so much more enjoyable. Would definitely recommend if the budget allows. To get the most value it is imperative to get there EARLY and enjoy all the benefits (2 breakfasts, riding rides at TSL multiple times, being ahead of the crowd to get on RR and TT).
Thanks for sharing your experience. I read all of them to get a better plan for my day there.

• Approx. 7:50-55 (detailed notes stop here :-)) we were walked back to RR and TT, just ahead of the rope drop MASSES (crazy amount of people)!

I think you need to change some of your "7"'s to "8"'s. Maybe beginning with "Rode SDD 3X, TSMM 2X and AS2 1X until exactly..." (should probably read 8:40).

So you were allowed to order an extra Entrée to try. They didn’t limit you to one each.

Going in June this year. First time during a month other than August. REALLY hoping to get EMM for DHS on June 10 or 12 but both are booked solid. I keep checking everyday so hopefully something opens up :)

We did the EMM on March 20th and it was a great experience.

We used Disney Transportation and arrived at the park at 7 and were let into the park around 7:20. They allowed those who wanted to go to eat breakfast at the Backlot and held the rest of us in the main area while they set up the stages for the Star Wars performances. At 7:30 the let us go in Toy Story Land. As you can expect most rushed toward Slinky Dog. We on the other hand went to Toy Story Mania and got right on. After we did the meet and greets with Buzz, Woody and Jessie.

By the time we finished with the meet and greets we headed over to Slinky Dog and rode it 3 times in 30 minutes. We then proceeded over to Alien Swirling Saucers. We rode it once and the Cast Member said we could stay on and we rode it again. After exiting the ride we went back to Toy Story Mania. We got on about 8:57 and by the time we exited the ride, the park opened to the public. The line at 9:05 for slinky dog extended past Voyage of the Little Mermaid.

We bypassed the breakfast as my little girl ( 7 years old) couldnt wait to get over to Rockin Roller Coaster.

For us who dont make it to Disney World very often ( last there Oct 2016), this was extremely worth it and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

So you were allowed to order an extra Entrée to try. They didn’t limit you to one each.
Yes! They were not keeping track in any way. There were 2 of us in line to order 3 entrees. Our Cast Member could not have cared less. I did not do it but you also could have just gone through the line multiple times. They checked wrist bands before you went into the restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!