"Did You Eat All That Chicken?" - A Solo Dining Report w/ Regular Dining Plan (Complete)

DeterminedOne

DIS Veteran
Hey folks. I’m from my very first solo trip, and excited to share my dining experiences with you. :flower3:
I was in the Disney bubble from Thursday, August 22 to Monday, August 26th, and used the Regular Dining Plan.

To purchase the Dining Plan, or to not purchase the Dining Plan - that is the question I often see asked on this forum.
For me, the answer is an easy yes. I have been using the DDP since before there was ever an official DDP. Many, many
years ago there was something called the Magic Your Packages. It had several tiers, much like the current dining plan,
and it included recreational activities. After being spoiled by those deluxe dining packages, an inclusive dining option has
been the way to go for us. But this time I was solo. I knew the Deluxe Dining Plan would be too much, and the Quick Service Dining Plan
would offer too little as far as selection goes. I decided to go with the Regular Dining Plan, which includes one quick service option,
one full service option, and two snacks. I like the idea of the food being paid for upfront.

First up on this solo dining adventure was ABC Commissary at Hollywood Studios, and Storybook Dining at Wilderness Lodge.
I hope you will join me. There will be pics!! And I hope to give you a feel for what it’s like to dine solo inside the happiest place on earth.

ABC Commissary - Hollywood Studios (Quick Service)
I debated what to do on this first day of the dining plan and my quick service credit. Having never done a quick service plan,
I wasn’t too sure where to start. Hollywood Studios doesn’t get much credit when it comes to their quick service locations,
or so I’ve read on this forum and elsewhere. My experiences here have taken me to Hollywood Brown Derby, Sci-Fi and 50’s Prime Time. Never a quick service location. Keep in mind, this particular dining plan will run you $75.49 a day. So I would be lying if I said I wasn’t cognizant of getting the best bang for my bucks. In order to maximize at quick service locations, I would need to top $21 per meal.

Therefore, Woody’s Lunchbox was off the table. Cute little quick service location, and some fun food options, but value wise -
tater tots and grilled cheese just weren’t going to cut it. So I took this one off the list almost immediately. Everything else was left on the table, except PizzeRizzo, and only because pizza is generally not that impressive to me.

I wandered into HS around 10:00, and my first FP wasn’t until 12:50, so I had time on my hands. But I was hungry, and lunch was definitely on my mind. Upon entrance, and taking the obligatory photo pass picture with the Chinese Theatre in the background,
I took a left turn. Not sure why, other than I was solo and could do whatever I wanted. I happened by ABC Commissary, but it was closed until 11. Stopped and perused the menu, which looked decent as far as variety was concerned. It was then I decided 11 would be the perfect time to have lunch. The restaurant would just be opening, and the crowd would likely be low. If there was one thing I was concerned about with quick service meals as a solo traveler - it was having trouble finding a place to sit. You know - no one to find a table while I stood in line.

Just across the way from ABC Commissary was a meet and greet spot for Mickey and Minnie. This was not in my plan, but the wait was only 20 minutes, and it was a perfect way to kill time. It ended up being the best meet of the trip. But then again, it’s hard to top a meet with the main Mouse himself. So after the meet I noticed they opened ABC a little early, so I headed in. First impression of the place was good. Lots of open seats, which was a plus. And plenty of tables for two that were in a good location - a problem I ran into several times as a solo diner. The line was organized, as in they hand out the menu while you wait in line. And I liked the warm feeling of the dining area. The warm colored carpet made it feel more of a table service than quick service restaurant.

ogNWtoA.jpg

I decided on the BBQ Rib Platter. It’s true it was the most expensive item on the menu, but it was also the best looking, based on what I saw on other people’s plates. The picture of it on the menu doesn’t do it justice. From the menu it appears meatless and bony. But that was not the case. I questioned myself on this choice, knowing it was really hot out, and I my heart could potentially react negatively to pork + heat. Pork is like that for me, sometimes. Gets my heart thumping.

But if you’re going to make poor choices, you may as well go all in. So I ordered a beer with my meal. Because alcoholic beverages are included. Now, I’ve had grapefruit beer before (mainly Leinenkugel), but this stuff was TASTY. Schofferhofer from Germany. So delicious, I may have had a few more
of those throughout the trip ... :rolleyes1

wVVIfwP.jpg

The ribs, while a little heavy on the sauce, were pretty good. Not too fatty, and tender, but not so much to the point of resembling the texture of pulled pork. I hate it when restaurants do that to ribs. The portion was huge, but I managed to polish off most of it. I told you I was hungry …

ZRSC77S.jpg

The shoestring fries were nice and hot, and decent for not being real French fries. 8-) The meal included a side of coleslaw, which I didn’t touch because surely I had enough to eat. And in case you are wondering, there was an adverse reaction to pork + heat, but I will save that story for the regular trip report.

Overall, a really solid lunch.
(QS lunch total = $28.53)

Last edited:
Storybook Dining (Artist Point)

Oh, boy! Okay. Let me start with this …

I was beyond excited to score an ADR at Storybook Dining. (Thanks to Touring Plans Reservation Finder.) It was a late reservation (8:45), and I wasn’t thrilled about eating that late. However, I tried almost every day for months to modify this to an earlier timeframe - to no avail.

I took an Uber from Coronado Springs to Wilderness Lodge. I just wasn’t in the mood for transferring buses,
and Uber turned out to be a quick and easy option. It was $7 and some change. Had close to an hour before my seating,
so I had a drink at the bar at Geyser Point. This place is gorgeous, especially at night.

cJp0Odj.jpg

Arrived at Artist Point, I mean Storybook Dining, around 8:40. Waited approximately 15 minutes to be seated.
To point out, I intentionally included the words Artist Point because they were a source of contention for me from t
he start. It literally still says “Artist Point” on the sign, and I’m sorry, but I have a problem with this. This is supposed to
be Storybook, you know, like a fairytale. And there is nothing fairytale about the outside of the restaurant saying Artist Point.
And don’t get me wrong. I’ve eaten at Artist Point, when it was actually Artist Point. Lovely restaurant, but I was supposed
to be going to the enchanted forest …
And technically, they refer to the restaurant as Storybook Dining at Artist Point, but I wasn’t feeling it. Pick a side!

I can’t even explain how much I looked forward to this reservation. While I had met Snow White in the past, I had never met,
or even seen one of the dwarfs in person. I was looking forward to it so much that I ordered a special shirt - just for my meeting and photo op with Dopey. But the shirt didn’t show up in time for my trip, so that was a bust. As it turned out, it would have been useless anyway …

F889so0.jpg

As I was being led to my table, I could see it was in a really bad spot. So not only was I not believing the whole “enchanted forest”
bit, I was about to be stuck at probably the worst table in the restaurant. But I didn’t say anything because at this point it
was after 9, and way too late to be eating in the first place.

But that particular view wasn’t even the worst part of the view. The worst part was, as part of the experience they made a grand announcement for each character to enter the room. I was in a literal corner, and the characters made their entrance from the right:

ggZl8kp.jpg

I couldn’t see, so took the other diner’s word that each entrance was as spectacular to witness as their reaction to it. I could have stood up and gone and peeked around the corner, but whatever. Knowing these Artist Point light fixtures were still hanging above annoyed me, so I didn’t bother.

g4Pha4b.jpg

First came the appetizers that are preselected for you. Mushroom Bisque, Hunter’s Terrine (charcuterie type plate),
and Wicked Shrimp Cocktail. The shrimp cocktail was my favorite. I enjoyed the little slaw that came with it, but to be honest
I thought serving it with just one piece of shrimp was chintzy.

3OvI7dn.jpg

The charcuterie thing was okay, but again, what am I supposed to do with one broken off piece of a cracker?

USWX9Ry.jpg

And if I didn’t already have the impression that this place just wasn’t trying too hard, my mushroom bisque was served with
a glob of grease fat on top. Ewww!!!

W0sf8ts.jpg

My impression of this place had really gotten out of hand, so good thing I ordered a strong drink. The Smoking Mirror.
Johnnie Walker Black (scotch whiskey), with some other stuff, and a big puff of smoke for effect.
I downed it!

oztB8jz.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED ...

Love you report!

I haven't eaten at Storybook but used to go to Artist Point and I don't think it was "grease" in the mushroom bisque. The mushroom soup at Artist Point was always topped with Chive Oil for an accent flavor and it looks as if they are still using it. Edited to add: I am enjoying your mentality of getting the most bang for your buck on the dining plan so I'm loving the pricing and attitude.

Last edited:

Following along! Love the nail polish!!

I was hoping for good things about the Storybook Dining, but based on how it's starting, I'm rethinking trying to book it for our next trip!

CONTINUED ...

Next up, the entree. I chose the Royal Prime Rib Roast. It was as fatty as prime rib can be, but melted in the mouth like butter.
Could have done without the glaze, which I sopped off with the huge piece of bread that didn’t belong. And why the two oddly placed pieces of spinach, I don’t know. Overall, the entree was far more appetizing than it looked, thanks to the prime rib.

WVZqUaF.jpg

Snow White showed up just as I had put a bite in my mouth. We gazed awkwardly at one another for a few.
Her gaze - because my mouth was full. My gaze - because she was alone.
No handler …

Exchanging non-verbal pleasantries, I hurried to chew my food. Finally, she asked if I wanted her to “go and get my friend” so that we could take a picture ... Awkward!

But it wasn’t her fault. The friend showed up and took one of the worst character meet pics I’ve ever seen. Second to the one I took
by myself with Dopey. He showed up ... alone. He had a look as if to say - how are we going to take a picture if you’re by yourself.
When I say he had a look, of course I don’t mean his facial expression changed. Because that would be ridiculous.
It was his body language ...
Finally, he nestled next to me as if to say “let’s just take a selfie.”

O55Xq2v.jpg

Which would have been fine - had his head not been so big.
Perhaps you now understand why the special t-shirt didn't matter.

I finished the prime rib and waited on dessert. Within a span of just a few minutes, staff (as in two different people) came around to inquire if all the characters had visited. As I explained to both, I hadn’t seen Grumpy, but it was ok. I was over it.

But as it turned out, Grumpy helped save the experience.

He showed up - also alone. Perhaps he could sense I was underwhelmed and not prepared for pictures. He posed.
I said hello and kept eating. He stomped his foot, and posed again. As if to say - “take my picture.”
I snapped a few pics and he shook my hand.
But just as soon as we shook, he wiped it off on his shirt. LOL! Thanks, Grumpy! I totally felt your mood.

vR1sOpc.jpg

Exiting the enchanted forest, I paused to take a pic of The Evil Queen. I was too afraid to take a pic WITH her.
She … is … really … good … at … looking … evil …

The Manager must have witnessed what I was doing and inquired. I explained how I was afraid. He attempted to change my mind by stating Snow White had been raised by the Queen, and how my fears were unwarranted. Yet he soon realized I wasn’t going to change mh mind, and proceeded with a private exchange with the Queen.
He explained how I wanted to take a picture of her by herself “As to not take a way from her beauty.”
Her response - “Wise choice.”

xAxJeel.jpg

LOL! Storybook Dining experience - saved by Grumpy, and the Evil Queen.

Look - I understand
character meals are meant for kids. But hey - adults enjoy character meals, too. And we hold all the $$, so ...
I've been to plenty of WDW character meals including 1900 PF, Akershus, CRT, Chef Mickey's, and Cape May.
Storybook Dining as an adult was ... awkward.

Storybook Dining = $77.20 (not including tip)

Dining Plan Total For The Day = $105.73

Last edited:

Joining in! We were there the 18-22nd :-)

Now, I’ve had grapefruit beer before (mainly Leinenkugel), but this stuff was TASTY. Schofferhofer from Germany. So delicious, I may have had a few more
Ah Schofferhofer! Love it so much I've bought it here at home. Kept hearing about it on the boards and finally tried it in Disney a couple years ago!
I took an Uber from Coronado Springs to Wilderness Lodge
Hey that's where we checked out of on the 22nd, CSR!
Arrived at Artist Point, I mean Storybook Dining,
RIP Artist Point :angel: I don't care what the signs say I'm just bitter that the original is gone.
And if I didn’t already have the impression that this place just wasn’t trying too hard, my mushroom bisque was served with
a glob of grease fat on top. Ewww!!!
Huh! I had the soup at AP and I don't remember mine looking that way nor has it ever looked that way at Territory Lounge which (thankfully) also still serves that soup which I LOVE. Sorry your experience there wasn't that great; again I have no desire to go there because of what it replaced!

I'm sorry Storybook Dining was so underwhelming. I would expect better from such an expensive meal. ABC Commissary looks promising. We always struggle with where to eat at HS. The only hit with us has been Mama Melrose.

Following! You have a great writing style! I appreciate your price point analysis, too.

Thanks for your review of Storybook. I'm underwhelmed by the menu (too many things I just won't eat) and your experience helped me past my FOMO.

Thanks for following along, ya'll. And thank you for your kind words.

Be Our Guest – Lunch
I had originally planned Casey’s for lunch this day because I’ve never eaten there. But then I heard they took
away the hot dog of the month special, and over time I just became bored with the idea of using the dining plan to
eat a hot dog. But I suppose the real reason for changing my mind was finding out that Be Our Guest Lunch is
quick service. It was about 30 days out from my trip, so I was shocked when I logged on to MDE and was able to
get an ADR at the time I wanted. We had breakfast there (pre-park open) a few years ago, and getting a reservation
was tough. On this particular day I was planning to do 16 hours at Magic Kingdom (Halloween party), so a sit down
restaurant was right up my alley.

I was even more surprised the day of when I went to modify my ADR to an earlier time, and there was a time slot available.
Is this place not the bees knees anymore, or does that distinction go to breakfast and dinner? My reservation was at 11
and I tried to check in ten minutes early. Oh, no ma’am. They don’t allow that. I saw several folks turned away and told
to check in right at their designated time.

Checking in and getting through the line wasn’t nearly as chaotic as I remember it being for breakfast. For this reason
I was glad I didn't pre-order. Weeks ahead of time I was sure I would order a salad, but when the time came I decided
protein would be more effective for a long day. So, I ordered the braised chicken.

1NZcTxa.jpg

I had read someplace that the chicken was dry, so I made sure to get it with the sauce. While I’m not a big fan of sauce
or gravy in general, I am also not a fan of dry chicken. I crossed my fingers that the sauce wouldn’t be as awful as
was on the prime rib the night before. That stuff tasted like it came right out of a packet – salty as heck. And sure, it was 11am,
but I saw they had my new favorite Schofferhofer grapefruit beer on hand – and 16 ounces to boot. It was 5:00 somewhere.

yrMinU8.jpg

I was hoping to sit in a different room this time. Last time we were stuck in the Ballroom. Apparently, I didn’t explain it
well enough to my husband that there were three rooms. He scolded me because he thought I was wandering around
aimlessly. He was afraid we wouldn’t get a seat, so I indulged him and just sat down. But this time I was alone, and could
do whatever the hell I wanted. I headed into the West Wing, but it was full and a little too dark for my tastes. I wanted to
actually see the food. I attempted to make my way into the Rose Gallery, but was promptly halted by a CM who said
“You can’t come in here yet.”

I explained the West Wing was full, and that I didn’t want to occupy a four or six seater, which was what was left in the
Ballroom. She said “It doesn’t matter.”
Okay ... well, it should. As far as efficiency goes, that’s just dumb. But I didn’t say anything and proceeded to occupy
a table for four. I could feel the looks …

Soon after, my lunch was served and I realized I didn’t have silverware. I panicked because I didn’t want leave my meal
unoccupied, so I asked the server if he could bring it back in a few minutes. I thought the silverware was across the room,
but alas, it was merely 30 feet away. Which he promptly pointed out to me. But he was nice about it, and actually
stayed at the table until I returned.

The dish is described as being served with roasted asparagus, and I wish they would have given me more of it.
The chicken and the gravy it was in was actually tasty. Didn’t taste like packet gravy at all. And that beer – oh my gosh, yum!
Overall, a really decent meal.

Be Our Guest (Lunch): $30.87

The Wave
I left Magic Kingdom and headed over to Contemporary for dinner at The Wave. The decision to eat there was entirely
based on the way Pete Werner talked this place up. There has been discussion they might close because it’s not very
popular. And there weren’t many people there. Not empty, but maybe half capacity. I was interested to see what type
of table I would get. And it wasn’t bad. A two-seater up against a divider with another two-seater on the other side.
I was hoping like heck they wouldn’t seat me at one of those communal tables, you know - where you’re at a separate table,
but so close to the table next to you it feels like you’re at the same table. The kind with chairs on one side, and a long communal bench on the other. I loathe those things!

I started with an alcoholic beverage because the dining plan said I could. My server suggested the Forever Young,
which is Tito’s vodka, some type of liqueur, sugar and blueberries. Yum!

Id1HOW8.jpg

Having heard Pete rave about the Bacon and Eggs appetizer, I had to get it. Unlike the deluxe dining plan,
appetizers aren't included, so I paid out of pocket. I suppose I could have substituted the appetizer for the entrée, but I wanted something from the entrée menu, too. You’re probably asking how I could possibly be hungry. Don’t worry, I thought
the same thing.

When I say the Bacon and Eggs was good, I mean it was spectacular!
Pork belly and on the side, grits with a mild smoky flavor, topped with a poached egg. Oh my gosh, so good!
Best thing I had all week. Perhaps I’m biased because - 1) I love grits and, 2) I love Pete Werner. :)
The server gave specific instructions from the chef to stir the egg into the grits. But he didn’t have to tell me that.
A person who thinks about food all the time like I do already knows that, man.

jXgWBUT.jpg

I really wanted to polish it off - like lick the plate, but still had an entrée to contend with. I decided on the Noodle Bowl.
Prior to the trip I was sure I would go with the filet. (Anyone else just peruse Disney restaurant menus picking out what
you would order?)

They brought the noodles out less than five minutes after serving the app. The guy seemed embarrassed because he could tell I had barely touched the Bacon and Eggs. But I told him not to worry because it was just noodles.

T8Y5bcj.jpg

I think they are doing too much with this. I’m a sucker for ramen, but it’s way over the top with all the ingredients.
It was tasty, though. The broth was flavorful and well developed. And I enjoyed the texture of the Udon noodle paired with
the shreds of braised beef. I don’t know what I was supposed to do with the gigantic stalk of broccoli-rabe, so I left it alone.
I didn’t even make a dent in this, and still had dessert coming. I was starting to get anxious because my server all but
disappeared, and it was way after 6. The Halloween party started at 7:00. When he came to take the dessert order, I
asked for another Forever Young. But it never showed up.

For dessert I went with the Chocolate Flight. Chocolate bread pudding, German chocolate cake, and chocolate crème brulee’.

AgnuOWy.jpg

I took tiny, sample sized bites – just to say I’d tried it. Enjoyed the German chocolate the best. When he brought the bill,
the second drink was on there, and I had to explain that they never brought it. He said he’d have them make one real quick,
but I had changed my mind. He returned a few minutes later, drink in hand, and said it was on the house.
Score! Tipsy Dust! I really enjoyed the meal here. Best food of the week.

The Wave: $65.50
Dining Plan Total for The Day: $82.37

Next Up - Harambe Market and Yak and Yeti

Last edited:
Following along! I will be doing a solo trip in February and it's great to hear your thoughts. Bummer about Story Book, but I'm glad things turned around. CMs that know how to act with solo diners are the best!

Could have done without the glaze, which I sopped off with the huge piece of bread that didn’t belong. And why the two oddly placed pieces of spinach, I don’t know. Overall, the entree was far more appetizing than it looked, thanks to the prime rib.

That's a Yorkshire pudding, very commonly served with roast beef/prime rib.

Next up, the entree. I chose the Royal Prime Rib Roast. It was as fatty as prime rib can be, but melted in the mouth like butter.

WVZqUaF.jpg

Looks like a popover to me. Quite a few restaurants up my way serve them with prime rib. :confused3 The spinach ? Decor, I guess - didn't need it.

Enjoying your report! I did a solo trip last fall and enjoyed it tremendously, it's great to hear another foodie's solo trip perspective! Your Storybook Dining report had me cracking up a bit, I can totally imagine being in that situation.

And in case you are wondering, there was an adverse reaction to pork + heat, but I will save that story for the regular trip report.

It sounds like you might have a pork sensitivity. I found out just in the past year that I do and I have (sadly) eliminated it from my diet. Interestingly, the stubborn eczema patches on my shins (gross and TMI, I know) have completely gone away. And now I almost (ALMOST) have an aversion to pork, but there is bacon in everything anymore!

(Anyone else just peruse Disney restaurant menus picking out what
you would order?)

All. the. time.

Harambe Market
This was not a pre-planned. I had just finished Kilmanjaro Safaris and trying to decide where to eat.
I thought about Sautuli Canteen, but it was hot and I didn’t feel like walking back to that side of the park.
Walked by Harambe Market, and noticed for the first time just how awesome it looks. That place really looks like
it’s in Africa. Even though I’ve never been to Africa. I saw some tables back in the corner that looked like great spots
to observe and people watch. The menu isn’t substantial - meat skewers, rice, and such. But because I hadn’t
learned my lesson a few days prior, I decided to order the ribs. It came with rice and salad. They were decent,
to the point I barely used any sauce. And I ordered a beer, too (Safari Amber Lager.) Because I could, and it was 5:00 somewhere.

rVYTbbR.jpg

My spot in the back along the fence, was truly the best part of the meal. The vibe of this place was just awesome.
Laid back, and serene. Up ahead, and beyond the fence was the Wilderness Express train and Conservation Station.
The track was to the right, and the train passed by just a few feet away. I sat there long enough to learn the rhythm.
Train pulls into the station for about 15 minutes. Soon after it takes off, the other one comes around the bend and
enters the station.There are people on the train, and they wave at you. I sat there for at least an hour.
It wasn’t crowded at all, so I didn’t feel rushed to leave. I truly enjoyed the sound of the train on the track,
and the whistle that sounded as it made its way around the bend. Even though my heart didn't appreciate the pork,
it was one of my favorite moments of the trip.

dEww0wh.jpg

Quick Service Lunch = $25.60

Yak and Yeti

I had a reservation at 5:00, but managed to score a last minute Flight of Passage FP at 4:30. I wasn’t about to give
that up, so I walked over to Yak and Yeti and explained the dilemma. The young lady said they wouldn’t penalize
me for being late, and would work me in. As it turned out, I was only 18 minutes late and seated in less than five minutes.
They sat me upstairs, which was what I wanted, but not by the window like I hoped. I was at a two topper on the
other side. Oh well, can’t have everything.

After my quaint meal at Harambe, the first thing I noticed about this place was how loud it is. Not a deal breaker.
Just an observation. Again, I was sure I would order something different than I did. I decided to go with the
Kobe Beef Burger I’d read so much about.

u6M7REs.jpg

My first thought regarding presentation: they were doing the most. The wood cutting board is cute, but where
was I supposed to put my ketchup? I’m a dipper, so ketchup has to be on the side. There was no way I was putting
my ketchup on the wood. Do they know how difficult those things are to clean?. I know it’s petty, but I would never
tell anyone except you guys.

And then, here we go again with the fake French fries. I’m sorry, but shoestring fries are not real fries, IMO.
The burger though - it was really, really good. Flavorful, juicy, and I love it when burgers have a char-grilled taste.
My only knock on the burger is the bun. It didn’t hold up well. Points off fror that one.
It comes with a topping of shiitake mushrooms or an Asian slaw. The server didn’t know if the mushrooms are grilled
or not, so I went with the slaw. I loathe grilled mushrooms, and didn’t want them messing up my burger.

pPtrG2a.jpg

Did I order an alcoholic beverage?
What do you think? :rolleyes1

Mgjblqh.jpg

The Emperor Margarita made with Sauza Gold Tequila. It was mediocre. Tasted like pre-made drink mix.
Not a single hint of Tequila. And once again, my server disappeared. In this case though, I think he thought my
dining solo was awkward. He walked by several times and didn’t say a word. And at one point I noticed him walk
toward my table, then changed his mind and turned the other way. Might have been awkward for him, but I have
zero problem eating alone. He eventually made it back to take my dessert order. I went with the Pineapple Upside
Down Cake - completely out of spite for being too full to eat one at the Magic Kingdom the day before. It was just ok.
I'm sure it would have been better topped with Pineapple Dole Whip …

zkKN8WH.jpg

Table Service Dinner = $44.71
Daily Dining Plan = $70.31

Up next - my final dining credits. Sunshine Seasons and Restaurant Marakkesh

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter