Didn't expect to love Universal/Islands of Adventure so much!

1GoldenSun

DIS Veteran
We have always had Disney APs, but for various reasons we switched to UO/IoA this year. I knew we would like the more adventurous rides, but thought we would miss the intricate theming and the atmosphere of Disney.

Well, I was right about loving the rides, but I was wrong about the atmosphere! UO/IoA is wonderfully themed, and not just the Harry Potter parts! I love just walking around taking it all in, which was one of the things I loved to do at Disney that I didn't think would be as enjoyable at UO/IoA.

I am really surprised at how much we love UO/IoA! I think it's every bit as much fun as Disney, just different.

So far we've only stayed at the Hard Rock, but I'm excited to try all the other resorts too.

Glad you enjoyed it. I don't bother arguing with Disney diehards when they claim Universal doesn't have the theming of WDW. I have loved it since we first visited IOA for 1 day in 2002. My youngest DD and I made special trips in 2010 and 2014(?) when the Harry Potter areas opened.

Our experience was similar. We went to Universal thinking we were taking a break from Disney. Haven't been back since. That's not a slam on WDW, we just prefer the spontaneity that Universal allows. They are definitely different experiences. Neither is inherently better than the other. But Universal suits us best.

We have always had Disney APs, but for various reasons we switched to UO/IoA this year. I knew we would like the more adventurous rides, but thought we would miss the intricate theming and the atmosphere of Disney.

Well, I was right about loving the rides, but I was wrong about the atmosphere! UO/IoA is wonderfully themed, and not just the Harry Potter parts! I love just walking around taking it all in, which was one of the things I loved to do at Disney that I didn't think would be as enjoyable at UO/IoA.

I am really surprised at how much we love UO/IoA! I think it's every bit as much fun as Disney, just different.

So far we've only stayed at the Hard Rock, but I'm excited to try all the other resorts too.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much........always good to hear it exceeded expectations.......

Now you need to plan your next trip there.........:D

OP - Even though you went out of your comfort zone, it’s refreshing to read you had a great time!

Have given up reading the many posts here of the ‘convince me I’ll enjoy Universal’ ilk. So many veer to negative, almost adversarial in nature. :confused:

If one begrudgingly goes into anything with a closed mind & holds onto pre-conceived notions, why even bother trying anything new?:confused3

Have given up reading the many posts here of the ‘convince me I’ll enjoy Universal’ ilk. So many veer to negative, almost adversarial in nature. :confused: :confused3

Those posts crack me up - and I never bother opening a single one. Why certainly, total stranger: let me take time out of my day to beg and plead with you to give UO a chance. NOT. :rolleyes: :laughing:

This is coming from a huge WDW fan and AP holder for years - but honestly, I feel it's rude to come on a UO board and challenge people by saying "convince me I won't have a terrible time" or some such nonsense: it seems so ridiculous to me. How self-involved can you be?

And for the record, I started with seasonal pass and every year since, I've upgraded one level - now at Preferred. Will be dropping my WDW ones for the first time after Christmas...with all the SW madness, it's a good time to take a break. UO on the other hand, is sooo addictive.:love:

We went for first time last year and return in July! We LOVED how spontaneous we could be by staying in one of the deluxe resorts. And being able to walk over or boat.

Now I personally wish there a few more ET type rides ;) but my 12 year old things I’m nuts. Disney has just gotten too structured for us and that is saying something for this Type A. We loved being back in our room in 10 min or if my son wanted to ride a great ride 10 times in a row he could. That is non-existent at Disney.

For at least the next few years universal has our travel dollars.

Another Disney diehard here who formerly owned Dvc, had an AP, and even a son in the DCP. Absolutely loved our first trip back in a long time. It will also be a long time before I visit the World again. Portofino was so much better than the GF, themed throughout instead of becoming more generic and having random character dining that doesn't fit the resort, and the boats are super fast. We had a problem with a double billing of the room. Not only did they fix it right away, but without me demanding anything they gave us a $100 credit to the room. So much for the Mouse's superior customer service. Hopefully we will be back sooner rather than later.

I'm so glad you had a good time! I am a fan of themed entertainment and have been to Disney and Universal Parks in both Orlando and SoCal. Universal Orlando and Islands of Adventure are my favorites for the flexibility of Express passes. We stay onsite at the one of the deluxe resorts as well. I have stayed at all three and now we are just sort of stuck on Portofino. The theming can't be described to Disneyphiles, it needs to be experienced.

Let’s keep the secret to ourselves about UOR though..........:rotfl2:!!!!!
OP - Even though you went out of your comfort zone, it’s refreshing to read you had a great time!

Have given up reading the many posts here of the ‘convince me I’ll enjoy Universal’ ilk. So many veer to negative, almost adversarial in nature. :confused:

If one begrudgingly goes into anything with a closed mind & holds onto pre-conceived notions, why even bother trying anything new?:confused3

I'm always tempted to say "you're so right - you'll absolutely hate Universal and I think you should hunker down in the Disney bubble and make sure you don't leave." Makes for a less crowded park for me :rotfl:

I'm always tempted to say "you're so right - you'll absolutely hate Universal and I think you should hunker down in the Disney bubble and make sure you don't leave." Makes for a less crowded park for me :rotfl:

:thumbsup2.....exactly!!!

We really enjoy our Disney vacations but it seems we have stayed more at UO the past 4-5 years then there........I wonder why.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!