Diet Madness - Tony's Town Square Review

I’m not sure it was a reduction per say because it was so thick but it was very sour tasting. The bits of cake without it were really good, but the sauce itself was sour and it just wasn’t good. Something was way off with that sauce.....and really just the whole place was a disaster unfortunately.

I’m not sure it was a reduction per say because it was so thick but it was very sour tasting. The bits of cake without it were really good, but the sauce itself was sour and it just wasn’t good. Something was way off with that sauce.....and really just the whole place was a disaster unfortunately.

Thanks for sharing - obviously we can't taste through the screen

Surprised to hear it was that sour - there is usually a balance of sweet and tart to a balsamic reduction, so seems something was off with the execution more than the concept

Surprised to hear it was that sour - there is usually a balance of sweet and tart to a balsamic reduction, so seems something was off with the execution more than the concept
Agreed. Balsamic reduction is delicious, sweet and syrupy with an acidic tang to it, definitely not sour.

I’m going to find a balsamic reduction somewhere else, try it and then let y’all know if it’s just my taste or if something was wrong with the one at Tony’s. What I ate there tasted like milk that had gone bad, smells, but the cheesecake itself was good, so it was something about the sauce.

I’m going to find a balsamic reduction somewhere else, try it and then let y’all know if it’s just my taste or if something was wrong with the one at Tony’s. What I ate there tasted like milk that had gone bad, smells, but the cheesecake itself was good, so it was something about the sauce.
There can definitely be a personal taste factor to it. I love Balsamic. My daughter hates it. She can't even stand the smell when I'm making a reduction at home.

There can definitely be a personal taste factor to it. I love Balsamic. My daughter hates it. She can't even stand the smell when I'm making a reduction at home.
Agreed. I LIKE sour stuff (I will actually eat a piece of lemon like an apple occasionally - very occasionally,. since I did it a LOT as a kid, and was actually unknowingly eroding the enamel on my teeth!) and will eat spoonfuls of red wine vinegar/dressing, but had to acquire a taste for Balsamic, and now I have to be in the mood for it, since it's "heavier and more intense" than red wine vinegar - also used MUCH differently, as this conversation attests to.

BTW - Nice to see ya here,@seanfaulk ! Welcome aboard, and congrats on the Agent Position! :)

It's also super easy to make yourself. You can just put about a cup of regular balsamic vinegar over a medium heat and reduce it until thick and syrupy for 15 minutes or so.

It's also super easy to make yourself. You can just put about a cup of regular balsamic vinegar over a medium heat and reduce it until thick and syrupy for 15 minutes or so.

yeah, just have to watch it as it can go from perfect consistency to too thick and then it becomes almost hard as a rock pretty quick - get's a little thicker when it cools too so err on the side of just under the consistency you want I think

So one of my friends told me what might have happened. They overcooked theirs at Tony’s maybe and then refrigerated it because it’s for bulk use. Which makes sense at a high volume place. Then they thawed it and it still had a burnt flavor which didn’t pair well. So that might be our answer.

So one of my friends told me what might have happened. They overcooked theirs at Tony’s maybe and then refrigerated it because it’s for bulk use. Which makes sense at a high volume place. Then they thawed it and it still had a burnt flavor which didn’t pair well. So that might be our answer.
Another possibility, which would fit with other things mentioned in the review, is that they are starting with low quality balsamic. If you start with something lousy, the reduction isn't going to be any better.

You can also just buy a good quality balsamic reduction at the supermarket in the vinegar section. I buy one that is imported from Italy, but there is a brand called Blaze that is good and also the one made by Bertolli is pretty good. Comes in a squeeze bottle.

You can also just buy a good quality balsamic reduction at the supermarket in the vinegar section. I buy one that is imported from Italy, but there is a brand called Blaze that is good and also the one made by Bertolli is pretty good. Comes in a squeeze bottle.

We get the squeeze bottle one and it isn’t bad

We use it a lot when we make a flatbread with ground lamb, goat cheese, and sautéed onions and then the balsamic reduction over it and the squeeze bottle makes that easy

I don't know the throughput numbers on this dessert, but it seems to me TTS should be able to make a reduction batch every X minutes/hours to meet quality and repeatability standards.

I have to say, this episode is so full of anecdotes, that even my critical side was completely admonished.

I now vote for a new Dis-Unplugged t-shirt with the catch phrase..."That chicken died very, very old in a rocking chair with hate in it’s heart". I just can't imagine coming up with that, on the spot, during a round table discussion. Well done!

One of my favorite episodes to date. And i would buy 3 of that t-shirt in various colors. I was cracking up. Although, for all of his years of hating on this restaruant I felt like Pete went too easy on them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!