Difference between WDW & Disneyland

This trip will be two days tops in Disneyland. We are exploring different parts of California because we will be relocating there eventually. So, it’s good to know that a couple of days will be enough.
It’s not enough for me. We were there 6 days last time. We’re price out of deluxe so we’ll only be in the parks 5 days next trip.

Yeh....coming from Australia we normally stay 3-4 weeks at a time when we come over there... $400 per night converted to AUD is about $500 a night....
I was thinking though next time were there we might just spend a few nights in a deluxe resort to see what were missing...
Do the deluxe resorts ever have discount codes or specials?

When I go to WDW I want to spend every minute I can in the parks so I do not see the Hotel much anyways. I fill if you pay top dollar for a hotel you might be tempted to hang out and enjoy it, which takes away from the parks..

When I go to WDW I want to spend every minute I can in the parks so I do not see the Hotel much anyways. I fill if you pay top dollar for a hotel you might be tempted to hang out and enjoy it, which takes away from the parks..

We get vacation homes when we go to FL. Our last home was $115/night with five bedrooms and 4.5 baths and a private pool. On our park days we were at the park an hour before rope drop and didn’t leave until they were kicking people out. I want every minute possible in the park for how much it costs. ::yes::

When we were younger, we used to stay at the All Stars Music to save money. We spent the majority of our time in the parks. Now we are older. I have serious knee issues. We only go to the parks from rope drop till lunchtime. We stay deluxe and enjoy the resort very much. We no longer like to have a “go go go” vacation. We take advantage of all the resort’s amenities and have a truly relaxing vacation. DD and her friend are adults with their own room. They come and go as they please. I’m sure that they will be in the parks at night sometimes. I can watch the fireworks from my resort. No need to fight the crowds. I’m done with hectic vacations.

The biggest difference to me is time saved at DL.
What takes us 7/8 days at WDW we can do in 4 at DL, simply because it's not all spread out and wasted time traveling.

I am very excited to be able to compare the two personally very soon! Have a short work convention trip to WDW in April and ended up booking a family vacation for the week after Thanksgiving as I really want my kids to see the World, too. We’ll be staying at the Polynesian for 6 nights. We are not park commandos, we plan to fully enjoy the resort experience that I feel DL lacks. The idea of being able to watch the fireworks from the beach at the Poly sounds so much more relaxing than trying to find a crowded standing spot in DL (or worst pay for VIP seating only to have the wind cancel them).

I love Disneyland. And I only live a few hours away. I love the homey feeling, it being the original, the nostalgia of it - but quite frankly, I’m a little burnt out. Not having actually been to WDW, I can’t give a true opinion of it, but I’m ok with the obsessive planning (I enjoy it), and all the different nightly entertainment looks amazing, and the resort we chose looks like a vacation in and of itself. We booked CL and hopefully plan on utilizing the pilot program that gives us 3 additional FPs.

I am looking for a more relaxing vacation...one where we aren’t setting our alarm for 5:30 am to make rope drop. I’m looking for enter a park when we feel like it with a few FPs in our pocket, enjoying a cool character meal, spending time at the pools, etc. I’m trying not to build up too much of a fantasy about it because I know there will be aspects of WDW that I don’t care for. But I’m ready for a different experience.

I am very excited to be able to compare the two personally very soon! Have a short work convention trip to WDW in April and ended up booking a family vacation for the week after Thanksgiving as I really want my kids to see the World, too. We’ll be staying at the Polynesian for 6 nights. We are not park commandos, we plan to fully enjoy the resort experience that I feel DL lacks. The idea of being able to watch the fireworks from the beach at the Poly sounds so much more relaxing than trying to find a crowded standing spot in DL (or worst pay for VIP seating only to have the wind cancel them).

I love Disneyland. And I only live a few hours away. I love the homey feeling, it being the original, the nostalgia of it - but quite frankly, I’m a little burnt out. Not having actually been to WDW, I can’t give a true opinion of it, but I’m ok with the obsessive planning (I enjoy it), and all the different nightly entertainment looks amazing, and the resort we chose looks like a vacation in and of itself. We booked CL and hopefully plan on utilizing the pilot program that gives us 3 additional FPs.

I am looking for a more relaxing vacation...one where we aren’t setting our alarm for 5:30 am to make rope drop. I’m looking for enter a park when we feel like it with a few FPs in our pocket, enjoying a cool character meal, spending time at the pools, etc. I’m trying not to build up too much of a fantasy about it because I know there will be aspects of WDW that I don’t care for. But I’m ready for a different experience.
I am sure you will have a blast!

My number one advice is to plan in more down time than at DLR. My experience at DLR is you can kind of do a sprint for 3-4 days. At WDW a sprint will wear you down. Especially in the warmer months which looks like will not affect you.

I always plan in full down days or half days. The new FP+ there really lends itself to that. You can plan a down day to rest then go to a park in the evening for a few keys rides while taking it easy.

As of 2017-2018 here is what I do: I take a day off to do whatever - swimming or hanging by a pool or going to see a movie are high on our list, as is shopping in Disney Springs.

Then I book AK for the evening. With FP+ for Flight of Passage (FOP), Expedition Everest (EE) at night (it feels like a different ride at night) and Rivers of Light (ROL). For us that works. We also do a rope drop at AK but the second day at AK is mostly for getting a second ride on FOP and seeing ROL.

:wizard:

:tinker:

Just returned this morning on the red eye from the Adventures by Disney SoCal/Backstage Magic Tour. It was my first visit to California - we started in Hollywood for two nights (plus one pre night on our own) had private tours of Chinese Theatre, Jim Henson Studios, Walt Disney Studios, and Imagineering, then three nights in Disneyland (plus one post night on our own) DD is a CM in WDW, DH & I are Annual Passholders, and I visit DD almost once a month. I must admit, I would not have enjoyed DL as much if I hadn't had the VIP treatment we experienced. (Visited Walt's apartment, entered the park even before the early entry, so we had it only to ourselves and had some behind the scenes tours of some attractions) Now that I know what to expect, I will be happy to visit again on our own. But except for the real thrill of it being "WALT'S PARK" - and believe me, that was totally worth experiencing - I think WDW does things much more efficiently. I missed magic bands. I forgot what it was like to have to keep taking out a ticket to get a fastpass, etc. I didn't like that so many attractions did not have fast pass options.

That being said, the quaintness was very heartwarming. I think DL park is cleaner and lines are shorter (of course, the capacity is different) I enjoyed the food options in DL and I felt more "Hollywood" in California Adventure than I've ever felt in Hollywood Studios. It was very nice not to have to take bus transportation to the individual parks and Downtown Disney had nice options.

Loved, loved, loved the big room at Disneyland Hotel & the pretty lighted headboard & spacious bathroom, but the guest amenities were very lacking. Food areas closed too early. I guess it is because Downtown Disney is steps away, but I like to be able to get coffee, a late night cup of tea, or a nightcap IN my hotel. The Grand Californian looked like it had a nicer lobby for that sort of thing. We'd probably try staying there next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter