DIGITAL Rider Swap/Rider Switch/Child Swap: In Effect as of June 16th

Are paper swaps being given out an any of the "lesser" rides still, or is it all fully digital now?

I was there the first day(s) of the rollout (but it was also my first time using RS at all, so it’s the only way I know) and digital was used at every attraction, with the exception of splash mountain just one time because of tech issues. They were trying to do it digitally but getting frustrated, so one CM basically threw a stack of paper RS passes at another :rolleyes1

We used RS at splash twice, big thunder, soarin, test track, FoP, mine train, and Star tours, all done digitally with the exception of one time on splash.

Well, I sure wish I would have seen this board before my fast pass day! Things have certainly changed since we were there two years ago. I read through a number of your posts, and just chatted with a disney rep. I know they don't always give out correct info, but this is what she said.

Our party consists of myself, DH, DD(44"), and DD(40"). I made a fast pass for FOP for my DH and DD44". At the same time, I made a fast pass for myself and DD40" for Na'vi. I had always done this before without issue. The rep told me that I would not be able to get a rider switch for myself this way. I also had to have a fast pass if I wanted to go on FOP with my DD44". She said rider switch had always been intended for standby line. Now that they've moved to the digital system, it is making everyone have to have a fast pass.
She said that I COULD use it for rides as long as we don't use fast pass. So, we could rope drop FOP. My DH and DD44" could get in the standby line for FOP, and a rider switch would be added to my band and my DD44" band. Then myself and DD40" could go ride something else at the same time.

I'm sure glad my youngest is 40" now! I'll be watching this board for more personal experiences before our trip next month! It sure puts a wrench in our plans.

Well, I sure wish I would have seen this board before my fast pass day! Things have certainly changed since we were there two years ago. I read through a number of your posts, and just chatted with a disney rep. I know they don't always give out correct info, but this is what she said.

Our party consists of myself, DH, DD(44"), and DD(40"). I made a fast pass for FOP for my DH and DD44". At the same time, I made a fast pass for myself and DD40" for Na'vi. I had always done this before without issue. The rep told me that I would not be able to get a rider switch for myself this way. I also had to have a fast pass if I wanted to go on FOP with my DD44". She said rider switch had always been intended for standby line. Now that they've moved to the digital system, it is making everyone have to have a fast pass.
She said that I COULD use it for rides as long as we don't use fast pass. So, we could rope drop FOP. My DH and DD44" could get in the standby line for FOP, and a rider switch would be added to my band and my DD44" band. Then myself and DD40" could go ride something else at the same time.

I'm sure glad my youngest is 40" now! I'll be watching this board for more personal experiences before our trip next month! It sure puts a wrench in our plans.
You do have to remember the CM who gave you all this incorrect info doesn’t work Attractions where Rider Swap Passes are given out to families who utilize the RS system.

You do have to remember the CM who gave you all this incorrect info doesn’t work Attractions where Rider Swap Passes are given out to families who utilize the RS system.

Yes, I'm taking it with a grain of salt. I've been given incorrrect info by them once before, and I'm hoping she's wrong about this. I'll trust first hand experience on here. I'll also report back after we go next month if there's still confusion.

So if I’m understanding this correctly... if me, DH, DS19, DD5, and baby walk up to a ride and I am the only one with a FP, I can ride and DH, DS19, and DD5 can all get the swap entitlement put on MDX and ride after me?

So if I’m understanding this correctly... if me, DH, DS19, DD5, and baby walk up to a ride and I am the only one with a FP, I can ride and DH, DS19, and DD5 can all get the swap entitlement put on MDX and ride after me?

The purpose of Rider Swap is not to ride alone. what you are suggesting will not fly for sure.
For this to work, at least three of you need fastpasses, and will go first, while one person waits with the baby. Then, he/she can ride along with 2 others from the first group.
The point of contention here is whether all 4 of you need fastpasses or only the first group (3).

The purpose of Rider Swap is not to ride alone. what you are suggesting will not fly for sure.
For this to work, at least three of you need fastpasses, and will go first, while one person waits with the baby. Then, he/she can ride along with 2 others from the first group.
The point of contention here is whether all 4 of you need fastpasses or only the first group (3).
I’m not trying to discuss or debate, nor even say this is our plan. Just simply asking to clarify the mechanics. And based on the reports in this thread, the mechanics of what I proposed seems to work. Just wondering if I have that correct.

I’m not trying to discuss or debate, nor even say this is our plan. Just simply asking to clarify the mechanics. And based on the reports in this thread, the mechanics of what I proposed seems to work. Just wondering if I have that correct.

You were actually proposing that 4 people can ride with one fast pass - that isn't how rider swap is intended to work. RS originally was so that a family didn't have to ride a standby line alone.

If your truly interest in the "mechanics" I would suggest getting a FP+ for everyone who wants to ride and then using the rider swap to ensure that the party riding 2nd doesn't miss the FP window. Headliners like FOP, 7DMT and SDD are requiring everyone to have a FP+ to use Rider Swap via FP+ line.

It will not work this way. The way it's worked in the past, you, DS19 & DD5 would all have to have fast passes. This would be group 1. Then DS19, DD5, and DH would be group 2 and could ride without a fast pass with the rider switch while you watch the baby.

Since the new digital rider switch, at least some disney CM's are saying that all members of your party, group one and two, need to have fast passes in order to use rider switch. However, many have reported that they are not actually requiring group 2 to have fast passes in the parks.

Hope that helps! I'm waiting for more first hand experiences.

I just used digital rider swap last week. I will say that when I booked fastpasses for us, I just did everyone the same. 7DMT asked if everyone had fastpasses. Then whoever waited with the baby had their fastpass removed by the CM and replaced with rider swap. There was also a few instances where the person who waited did not get a rider swap because they had a fastpass but the CM put rider swap on the other two riders bands (so they got to ride twice). We always rode back to back so that wasn't an issue. They did not care if the people in group 1 rode with group 2 - which was always our case. My grandfather, son and husband would ride, leaving me with the too short child. I would then ride with my son and one of the other two.

Technically, this would likely work on many rides. As others have said, sometimes the cast member asks if all members in the party have a FP, sometimes they do not. Using it in this way, however, is what makes rider swap such a polarizing issue as you would basically be doubling up on fast passes for the adults in your group...

Ok, I have been reading about the changes on RS since it happened and somehow I still can not wrap my mind around this. We have used the old Rider Swap system on multiple trips but this new system and the everyone needing/not needing to have a FP is confusing me a bit.

I apologize if this seems like a stupid question but can someone tell me what the point in asking for a rider swap would be if everyone in the party has to have a FP? I'm just wondering how that's any different than just using the FP's?

Ok, I have been reading about the changes on RS since it happened and somehow I still can not wrap my mind around this. We have used the old Rider Swap system on multiple trips but this new system and the everyone needing/not needing to have a FP is confusing me a bit.

I apologize if this seems like a stupid question but can someone tell me what the point in asking for a rider swap would be if everyone in the party has to have a FP? I'm just wondering how that's any different than just using the FP's?
Up to three riders from the first group would get to ride a second time.

Using RS in addition to FP+ extends the window based on an estimate of how long it will take for the first party to ride, this is helpful when returning later in the FP+ hour window and/or for attractions with long pre-shows.

It also allows for up to 3 guests to ride the 2nd time so the parent riding 2nd doesn't have to ride alone.

Up to three riders from the first group would get to ride a second time.

It's just my husband and I with our too small to ride kids so I guess it's just in our particular situation that it wouldn't really make a difference. I wish we could get a clearer answer on whether everyone needs a FP or not. We would prefer if one parent could still do a different ride using FP with the kids while the other rides a headliner.

It's just my husband and I with our too small to ride kids so I guess it's just in our particular situation that it wouldn't really make a difference. I wish we could get a clearer answer on whether everyone needs a FP or not. We would prefer if one parent could still do a different ride using FP with the kids while the other rides a headliner.
I hear you on all your points. I think there are so many varying family configurations that this new digital RS, and it’s inconsistency, can be very frustrating to some guests as they are planning their park days.

I hear you on all your points. I think there are so many varying family configurations that this new digital RS, and it’s inconsistency, can be very frustrating to some guests as they are planning their park days.

Especially after using the old system so successfully many times! We couldn't be further from the people who try to abuse the system. Literally, just want to swap one parent for the next and call it a day. My FP were made before the change was implemented so I guess we're just going to go with it and see what happens. Hopefully this isn't something that will become stressful once we start the trip because right now I'm definitely worrying about the way I planned!

Especially after using the old system so successfully many times! We couldn't be further from the people who try to abuse the system. Literally, just want to swap one parent for the next and call it a day. My FP were made before the change was implemented so I guess we're just going to go with it and see what happens. Hopefully this isn't something that will become stressful once we start the trip because right now I'm definitely worrying about the way I planned!

Definitely report back here with your experiences. We're also a family that will only do RS when we have too-small kids but Mom and Dad both want to ride.

Actually the first part of this isn’t an advantage because if you knew you would be using RS for rides with long Pre shows you could just book the second groups fast passes for 15-30 minutes later. The ONLY advantage for rides where you will be using a FPis that potentially 2 people get to ride twice. And that’s only an advantage IF you have extra tall enough people

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!