Dining plan question

Divaofdisney

DIS Veteran
Sorry if this has been asked before but we are renting points from a colleague of mine and we will be getting the deluxe dining plan for our trip in March. I was just wondering if there is any type of discount? I don't believe so but I wanted to check to be sure. Thanks very much.

No discount. The owner will have to add it for you and it has to be added at least 48 hours in advance,

It also has to be paid when added so you’ll have to arrange with them how to pay.

And if you don’t want to give the renter your Full CC info, then buy Disney gift cards and combine them for the amount(s) needed for dining.

No discounts and only the owner can add it to your reservation. So as NoTime42 mentioned, the owner will have to add it and if you do not want to give your credit card number to the owner, then gift cards can be used. As an owner, I typically do a three-way call with myself, renter and DVC Cast Member and then let the renter provide the credit card details to the cast member and I put the phone down. I do not want the liability of hearing this info.

I hope I can add this here- wondering if the rules are still the same when renting points and adding dining- can you still only do dining for the "nights" of your stay or are you able to add them for the full number of days? We usually get flights allowing for both first and last day park days- so we would use them that extra day. Thanks!

I hope I can add this here- wondering if the rules are still the same when renting points and adding dining- can you still only do dining for the "nights" of your stay or are you able to add them for the full number of days? We usually get flights allowing for both first and last day park days- so we would use them that extra day. Thanks!
Same rules. Dining plan is always by nights of stay.

As a renter, you get zero DVC discounts and perks.

You will pay what DVC charges for the DP which for 2020 for some reason is a few dollars less than what Disney charges. For pricing you will need to go through the person you are renting points from.... And it is a few dollars as in 2 or 3 a person a night so no real savings.

So if I want to purchase a dining plan for a 21 day DVC stay with 5 guests I need to buy a plan for the full 21 days for all 5 guests?

So if I want to purchase a dining plan for a 21 day DVC stay with 5 guests I need to buy a plan for the full 21 days for all 5 guests?
Yes, it purchased based on number of nights and all members of your party staying in the room have to be on it.

Yes, it purchased based on number of nights and all members of your party staying in the room have to be on it.

That seems silly, particularly for DVC stays. Why Disney can’t change the rules a bit, especially for long stays like I would be on, is beyond me. 7 days worth of plan would be plenty for those days you can’t be bothered to cook but 21 days, as well as costing over $8000, would be total overkill!

What if I booked a split stay? Would they be seen as two separate stays and I be able to book a plan for just the duration of one part of the split stay?

What if I booked a split stay? Would they be seen as two separate stays and I be able to book a plan for just the duration of one part of the split stay?
Yes, but the credits would have to be used during the part of the stay for which it was booked. They can't be used until the day of check in, and expire at midnight of the day of check out.

That seems silly, particularly for DVC stays. Why Disney can’t change the rules a bit, especially for long stays like I would be on, is beyond me. 7 days worth of plan would be plenty for those days you can’t be bothered to cook but 21 days, as well as costing over $8000, would be total overkill!
if you have an AP or are a Blue Card DVC owner, you would probably get more use out of a Tables in Wonderland card ($150, else $175 for FL residents). It gets you 20% off many Table Service restaurants including alcohol, as well as free valet for dining purposes for a year. It doesn't work for every scenario, but can be a great savings for many - the best way to figure if it's cost effective for you is to "do the math", looking at menus & totaling what you would actually eat https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/tables-in-wonderland/

As long as your split stay is booked in a different room type or resort, I love split stays and this is one of the reasons as some of my guests like it and this allows us to do for part and not the rest,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!