Dining Reservations-how strict?

33Legend

Mouseketeer
How strict ate they with the head count on dining reservations. If you have a reservation for 6 and you show up with 7-8, any chance they let everyone on?

Some might. Some won't.

Going from 6 to 7 or 8 means you need a different table size, so it's iffy. It depends greatly on the venue and how booked they are and whether they had any no shows.

It's best to make the ADR for the maximum number of people you think may be going to the meal. There is zero penalty for showing up with less than the number reserved as long as someone shows up. On the other hand, there is zero guarantee they will seat all of you if you show up with more people than are on the reservation.

STRICT.
DO NOT show up with extra people and expect that they will be seated (unless perhaps its at a larger capacity/not as crowded restaurant).
If there are reservations available take it and then ask if its possible to sit near each other but if there are no reservations to be had on the app then they likely cannot accommodate.
Its better to make the reservaiton for the full potenital party and show up with less rather than making it for definites and showing up with more.

Bringing more people than I booked is not a plan I would run with. There was a common theme a while back that people would book an ADR for teh number of people who they could find on MDE, even if there was not enough space for their entire party, andthen show up at the restaurant with their full party and ask to be accomodated. When a surprise guest, or a mistaken head count turns into a plannig tool, restaurant managers tend to look at guests who ask for more seats differently.

I am not saying this is your situation, but I am suggesting that you may not be accomodated. I wold keep trying to add two people, even if yo make a separate ADR>

I saw a family at Crystal Palace on our last trip try checking in with 7 for a 6 person ADR. I was behind them at the check in window and they were told it would add AT LEAST an hour to their wait since tables for that size group were previously reserved.

Don't give yourself a headache on vacation. Book for the total in your party you will show up with. If you have a large party try splitting into two groups around the same time and asking to be seated near or next to each other.

I would just keep checking for a new ADR while keeping your original until one pops up. We have usually had luck if we stalk the website and check alot!

Last edited:
All restaurants are governed by fire codes for occupancy rates. When they hit that number they can’t allow more in. They will have planned their table occupancy based on known reservation numbers. So you show up with more than your reservation numbers they have to look at their expected occupancy numbers over the next hour or so. If your extras will put them over then the extra people in your party will be turned away or you will have to wait until the occupancy rates will be lower. At busy locations always book the expected number.

Generally doesn't go well. Having less is not a problem. More can be a big problem.
Try and modify the number in your party either through MDE or call the restaurant.

When you have to change a table size is where the issue is. Going from 3 to 4? Not usually an issue. Going from 6 to 8 probably not going to happen. Or you will have to wait a very long time. Keep trying for another reservation as others have said. I usually end up coming with less.

If you cannot get a reservation for the number you want, that means the table size you need is booked for thaa\t time frame. Showing up with a larger party won't change that. You definitely won't be seated in a timely manner if at all, and if they set you someone else will have to wait as a result. I suggest booking a reservation for everyone in your party, even if you have to split into 2 tables.

How strict ate they with the head count on dining reservations. If you have a reservation for 6 and you show up with 7-8, any chance they let everyone on?
this happened last trip . a family who ended up seated near us was very unhappy in they ended up waiting over an hour past Ressie time because they did not count an infant in a highchair in their count. yes they were seated but had to wait until after the ones with correct to be seated. so I would be prepared for long wait which may or not work form your party

It all depends. A friend joined us for a California Grill reservation for 4 and I warned him it might be a hassle but let's try. The hostess told us we could add him but it might be an additional wait. Not two minutes later they were leading us to the elevator and to our table. I agree with others that if you know ahead of time what your max party size is, I'd make the reservation for that as it's always easier to go down in size.

Depends in part on the popularity of the restaurant along with all the reasons mentioned above.

I wouldn't try upping the count at places like Ohana, BOG, etc w/o having an ADR w/ the booked head count.

9 Dragons is rarely full, Kona is flexible but might require a beeper wait, most hybrid QS eateries that take ADRs can accommodate.
You might be able to make a reservation at many Disney Springs places with ease and and cancel your existing ADR.

What restaurants are you concerned about?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter