• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining Review 9/7-9/13

MissLiz

DIS Veteran
This is my first attempt at a review, so bear with me if I babble. :)

Our cast of character: Me33, DH28, DD4. We were on the free dining plan and had mapped out our dining ahead of time because we had a list of restaurants that we wanted to try. We ate a lot of food and, as I totaled it up, we spent about $750 on food for the week. Even if we had purchased the dining plan, we got our money's worth.

Our TS meals were:

Akershus Princess Storybook Breakfast
Biergarten
Cinderella's Royal Table
Ohana
Rose and Crown

Our CS meals were:

Pecos Bill
Toy Story Pizza Planet
Cosmic Ray's
Tangierine Cafe
Pinocchio's Village Haus
CBR food court

Table Service Reviews first:

Akershus: What can I say about this breakfast? We checked in right at our ADR time of 8:30am and were seated within 5 minutes. We were actually the third table that was seated. DD got to see Belle before we sat down and we were about three tables from the door the Princesses come out of. DD was dressed as Jasmine, so we hoped that Jasmine would be there.

The food was just fantastic! The sticky buns were a great way to start off the morning and the fruit was nice and fresh. DD ate most of the eggs since DH and I don't eat eggs, but we polished off the potatoes and bacon. Our server was wonderful. We asked for refills of both the potatoes and bacon and she brought them right out.

The princesses (Snow White, Aurora, Mulan, Jasmine) spent just enough time at each table to feel like they weren't rushed. Jasmine was there and she made such a fuss over DD that it was worth the whole thing! We will definitely do this breakfast again next time.
Food: A
Service: A

Biergarten: We ate dinner at Biergarten that night. Our ADRs were for 6:35pm and we checked in about 6:20. We were seated by 6:30 with one other family of three and a couple. Our last name is very German and the waitress asked us if we spoke German. DH is fluent in German, so he and the waitress had a great time speaking to each other. The other family at our table was very friendly and we felt like we were old friends sitting down to a nice meal.

The food is pretty good here. We pretty much had everything on the buffet. DH went back for seconds of the braised red cabbage. He loved it. DD was more interested in the show then the food, but she loved the sauerbraten. This food was just as good as the food we had last year in Munich. The dessert bar is wonderful, too. The Bavarian Cheesecake was my favorite.

The atmosphere at this restaurant is great. DD loved being able to go dance during dinner and we felt like we were back in Germany. I think that a big factor in your enjoyment here is the group you sit with. We had a friendly and fun group that we could interact with and who didn't mind DD being up and down dancing. DH kept asking to go back there the rest of the trip.

Cinderella's Royal Table: Before I say anything, let me just tell you that I read all the reviews and comments about this breakfast and I so wanted to believe that people were just really hard on this restaurant because of the price, but.....

We went on a day that had the LOMH, so we weren't able to enter the park earlier than anyone to get to our ADR. Not terrible, but a little disappointing because I wanted to see the castle without a lot of people around. Anyway, as we walked up, the cast member asked DD if she would like to be the Princess of the Day. DD was thrilled because this meant she got a little private time with Cinderella, her name was announced, she got to lead everyone up the stairs to breakfast, and she got a special certificate.

We were seated at a table by the windows and our waiter was very friendly. Up to this point, we thought it was wonderful. Then the speeding started. Our waiter brought out our food, the princesses came out (Snow White, Belle, Mary Poppins, Fairy Godmother) and rushed through all the tables. The only one that actually spoke to DD was Belle. All the others basically said "Let me sign your book......now let's take a picture" and were off again.

Our waiter came up to settle our bill about halfway through breakfast and I made a point of sitting for a third cup of coffee just to catch my breathe from the rush of breakfast. The stuffed french toast was yummy and DH wanted to get more, but he felt like he wasn't able to ask for seconds because of the rush. The food was about half as good as Akershus and the rush was just too much.

The setting is wonderful and this could be a great breakfast if everyone could slow down just for a minute. I'm not asking to sit back and relax because I know seating is limited, but to get a second to enjoy the atmosphere would be nice.
Food: B
Service: C

Ohana: This was our absolute favorite dining of the whole trip. I thought it would be tough to top Biergarten for DH, but this did it.

We arrived a little early and requested the main dining room. We had ADRs at 6:35 and arrived at about 6:20. I figured we would have to wait a bit because it looked pretty busy, but we were called within 5 minutes. We were seated at a table in the main dining room with a wonderful view of Cinderella's Castle. We had two servers for this meal and it worked out well. We never had to wait for anything for very long.

Our server, Cousin Marisa, asked us right away if we were on the dining plan and then proceeded to let us know all the extras we could get with it. We ended up getting virgin Strawberry Daquiris as our drinks instead of just plain old Diet Coke. Then the food started coming. And it kept coming and kept coming.......

DD and I killed the shrimp. I think she ate more than me, but I stopped counting after a while. It was so good! DH loved the chicken wings and the wonton chips. The salad was yummy, too. Then the meat came. DD loved the steak and the pork. DH and I got seconds of pretty much everything. We even had to get seconds of the potatoes because we were fighting over who got more, they were so good. We didn't eat much of the veggies, but they were still tasty.

DD did the coconut race and ended up going around by herself because she didn't get a broom on the first go round. She also did the maraca parade and I went up with her to do the hula. She had a great time yelling "Aloha!" and doing the Chaka sign. She did that the rest of the trip.

We have already planned on going back to this restaurant again and again. This was our first visit there and we thought it was fantastic!!! By far, our best experience.

Rose & Crown: We decided to book a late dinner here so that we could watch IllumiNations......just like everyone else in the world. We checked in for our 7:40pm ADR at about 7:20pm. We tried to request an outside table, but they weren't taking requests at all. They were actually turning people without ADRs away. We finally got seated at about 8:10pm. This was the longest we had to wait for any dining and it didn't start our experience off very well.

We got a table inside...disappointing, but what we expected. Our server was friendly, but very busy. She asked if we were on the dining plan and then explained what we could get with it. I ordered the prawn appetizer, the steak and fish platter, and the Bailey's Trifle. DH ordered the fruit and cheese appetizer, the steak, and the Guinness torte. DD had the fruit and cheese sampler, the fish and chips, and the sundae.

The appetizers were okay. The prawn appetizer is small. There are four prawns around a cucumber salad. It was tasty, but there wasn't enough. DH and DD's fruit and cheese looked better to me, so I stole some of their food since mine was done in about two minutes. We had to wait quite a bit for our main course. Our server had said she was going to try to time it so that we could go out and watch IllumiNations without having to leave food on our plates.

Our main courses came out and it seemed like they had been sitting for a bit. My fish was lukewarm and DH got the wrong steak. He always orders medium rare and his steak was on the medium well side. We decided not to say anything because we wanted to finish eating before the fireworks. We only had about 15 minutes to eat our main course before having to head outside, so we felt like we had to stuff it all in so it wouldn't sit there for 20 minutes getting even more cold.

Most of the other servers were leading their tables out to the viewing patio, but ours was nowhere to be seen, so we just followed a group out. The patio is nice. We found a stone pillar that DD could sit on so we wouldn't have to hold her up the whole time and the fireworks were extremely close. There was debris floating down on us the whole time. It made us very happy that we didn't have a table outside then. We would have had fireworks ashes in our food!!

As we went back inside, I realized that we were going to get to have dessert while the park cleared out a bit, which cheered me up a bunch. The Bailey's trifle was awesome!!! It was so good that DH wished he had gotten that instead of the Guinness torte. He just thought the torte was pretty boring. DD loved the build-your-own sundae and poured sprinkles all over the place. I also had a latte with dessert that was really good.

I'm not sure if we just had a very busy server or if the food is usually like this, but I'm not sure we will go back here. The appetizers and the desserts were good, but the main course left something to be desired.
Food: C
Service: C

Okay, now for the CS meals:

Pecos Bill: We ate here just as a quick pick-up on our first night. We ordered the wrap to share and DD had the chicken. The wrap was okay. Nothing too special. The child's chicken is basically chilled chicken on a plate. DD ate it, but, once again, nothing special.
Service: B

Toy Story Pizza Planet: This was our first "real" counter service meal. We all got the combos. I had the Junkyard Meal with the veggie pizza and salad and DH and DD both got the Woody's Meal with the pepperoni pizza and salad. The pizza's were good for individual pizzas. DD ate her entire pizza and some of her salad. The veggie pizza was fresh and very yummy!!!

We all got rice crispy treats for dessert and scarfed them down pretty quick. We liked this restaurant as a quick meal. It is open and bright and the food is good. We would go back here.

Cosmic Ray's: We ate lunch here one day. DH and I both got the bacon double cheeseburger combos. The burgers were good and the fixing bar is nice. I couldn't eat my whole burger, but what I did eat was very good. DD had chicken strips and fries. Not much you can say about that....it's pretty much the same everywhere.

We all had the chocolate cake-things for dessert. This could be a fun restaurant if you get a table by the "entertainment". We were back behind the service counters and there wasn't much to see or do back there.

Flame Tree BBQ: We ate here while at AK. DH got the smoked beef sandwich, I got the smoked pork, and DD got, you guessed it, the chicken strips. We got the sweet and spicy BBQ sauce to go on this and it was very yummy!!! We sat way down by the water overlooking EE and just had a nice, leisurely lunch. The beans were tasty and the corn on the cob was cooked well. Even though this CS has outside seating, it was very cool under the shelters with ceiling fans. We enjoyed hearing the screams from EE and watching the birds jump around.

DD and DH had the chocolate cake for dessert and it was much better than the cake in the plastic cups. It was an actual slice of cake! I had the key lime pie which was just yummy. Once again, it wasn't the cup kind, it was an actual slice on a plate.

Tangierine Cafe: DH wanted to eat at the Morocco pavilion more than almost anything on the trip, so we had lunch here. This was probably the best value for CS on the whole dining plan. We were able to get the shawarma platter with both lamb and chicken with hummus and tabouleh and a drink, plus baklava as dessert. DD got her usual, unfortunately.

We ate inside because it started to rain pretty hard and the atmosphere was terrific. We loved this restaurant as a counter service option. The food was excellent and the service was really good.

Pinocchio Haus: We ate here on our last day at MK. DH and I shared an Italian Sub (DDP) and Figaro Fries (OOP) and DD had mac and cheese. We got a cannoli for dessert. The sub was good. It was fresh and we both could have eaten more. The Figaro Fries are messy but yummy! We could have eaten more of those, too. The sub came with a bag of chips and I let DH eat those. DD's mac and cheese was nice and cheesy and she ate every since bit of it. We ate here mainly to get something different than just a burger and fries and it delivered. It's nice to get some sort of variety every once in a while.

CBR Food Court: We had breakfast at Old Port Royale one morning. DD had the Mickey waffles which she just loved. She had fun tearing them up by pulling off Mickey's ears first, then his chin, etc. DH got the french toast and I got pancakes. There was a lot of food there and it was all pretty good for pre-made stuff. The pancakes were moist and DH's french toast was cooked perfectly. The coffee didn't do much for me, but I'm also a Starbucks-aholic, so I can't really complain. This was a nice start to our day, though.

We ate so much food on our trip!!! We had a great time trying restaurants we normally wouldn't try due to cost issues. We have definitely decided that we will get the DDP if it is offered the next time we go....free or not. It is such a value for our family. We had some down spots in our dining, but that just makes it easier to pick new restaurants for next time. We won't feel like we are missing out if we don't go back to a couple of the places we went this time.

Of course, it was very difficult to actually pay for our lunch yesterday when we got back home. I liked just handing the server my card without even having to look at how much the bill was. But, real life beckons, so what are you going to do? :confused3

Happy eating to all of you still waiting for your trips!!! I hope some of these reviews will help you out. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions!!!

thanks for the reviews! we are heading down to disney in a couple of weeks and have reservations at some of the same places you ate at, so it was very informative. One thing i wanted to ask..what kind of fruit was there at the Princess StoryBook B'fast? My older daughter is picky about b'fast foods and mainly eats fruit, but she's picky about that, too. I'm trying to figure out if we need to feed her beforehand!

Oh, and the other thing I was curious about is the cannoli at Pinocchio Haus. What was inside it? Was it just whipped cream? Was it soggy? (I'm kind of a snob about these things b/c I'm of Italian descent and for special occasions, my mom would make them from scratch!)

It took me a second to figure out who your second "DD" is -- and then I realized it's my old fave from the '80's. Too funny!!!

The fruit at PSB was mainly pineapple, cantaloupe, strawberries, grapes (I think), and honeydew. It was all pretty fresh there. And, if she just wants fruit, I'm sure your server will be happy to get you seconds (or thirds).

The cannoli at Pinocchio was just filled with cream. Ours was pretty crispy. We went right when they opened, so I don't know if they would get soggier as the day goes on. They had the chocolate chips on the ends in the whipped cream. I was worried that it would be more like a cream horn or something like that, but it was good.

Probably not as good as your mom's, but I thought it was better than most places that try to do cannoli.

DD looks a bit older than they did in the 80s, but I still love 'em!!!
:) :)

Thanks for the great reviews! I do have a question about Flame Tree at AK. You mentioned that DD had chicken strips there....I'm happy to read that because on allears it lists just a hotdog or wings for the kids meals, and neither of my DS's will eat those. Do you remember if the kids strips come with fries? Or was it corn and beans like the adult meals??

Thanks! :goodvibes

Great reviews! In jr. high and high school I was Duran Duran obsessed! Especially John Talyor. I saw them on tv the other day, wow - they have aged. It made me feel old!!

The kids' chicken at Flame Tree came with corn on the cob and applesauce, I believe. I know it had the corn because my DD loves corn. She didn't eat the applesauce at any meal after she tried the first one because it's unsweetened.

Thank you for the reviews. You dined at many of the restaurants we are considering. Very good info.

Jen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter