Dining Reviews - Le Cellier, Prime Time Cafe, and Kona Cafe

frazzled one

Mouseketeer
Here's our verdict on the sit-down places we tried during our recent 25th anniversary trip (November 2nd - 7th):

Sunday, 7 PM - Le Cellier, Epcot

Had a marvelous meal here - the best of our vacation. We arrived 15 minutes early for a 7 PM PS, and waited half an hour before we were called to our table. We didn't mind - it was a beautiful evening, and we were able to enjoy the Victoria Gardens while we waited. We were soooo glad to have a PS - we saw many folks turned away, some of whom didn't take the disappointment very well (I felt sorry for the maitre d'). I heard a couple say that they'd tried every sit-down restaurant in the park, and nothing was available. So make those PS's, folks!

The place was packed to the rafters, and moderately noisy (not unpleasantly so). I was surprised that the tables were placed so close together, though we were able to have a very enjoyable conversation with a family from NJ who had taken their 4 little ones down by train and lived to tell the tale.

The food and service were excellent! I had the cheddar cheese soup, which I'd been fantasizing about for years - loved it! Also had the filet with wonderful cream cheese mashed potatoes - very tender cut of beef, prepared just as I requested. (I was surprised to have the entrée served in a large soup dish, though). Dh very much enjoyed his Prince Edward Island mussels, which he found quite fresh, and his salmon filet. Two thumbs up for the bread basket/decanter - the pretzel bread was just as delicious as you all say. Cost before tip, with two appetizers, two entrees, and two glasses of wine, was $80.10. Very charming service from Mike, who is adorable. No room for dessert!

Monday, 4:30 PM - Prime Time Café, MGM

We hadn't made PS's for this evening, and I was nervous about finding somewhere to eat after the previous night's observation. We tried Prime Time Café around 4:30 PM, and were immediately seated (I wouldn't have wanted to try an hour later). I'd taken our daughters here years ago while dh played golf one afternoon - dh had no idea what to expect and LOVED the décor, the menu, and the TV reel. Our waiter, Cousin Jeffrey, picked up on the fact that we'd rather observe the fun than be a major part of it. He kidded us a little bit, but also provided very fast, professional service. We enjoyed the meatloaf entrée with mashed potatoes and green beans (just like I could make at home if I were a way better cook). We had two excellent ice cream desserts - a vanilla shake for me and hot fudge sundae for dh. Cost for 2 entrees, 2 beverages, and 2 desserts before tip was $41.48. Fun!

Tuesday, 7:30 AM - Kona Café, Polynesian Resort

I didn't have a PS for this meal, and didn't need one, though I had to wade through a huge crowd for the character breakfast at Ohana on my way in. Dh was golfing, and I decided to treat myself to the fabled Tonga Toast, which has NOT been overrated. Delicious though it certainly was, I couldn't finish all of it - I probably would have enjoyed a half portion with eggs and fruit instead of bacon to cut down on the carb overload. The coffee was PHENOMENAL - the best I had all week. I didn't order the pressed pot because I just didn't feel right spending $6.99 for coffee all by myself (silly, I know), but the Kona coffee by the cup ($2.59) was perfect, and the very friendly waitress came by regularly for refills. Next time, we'll be here for lunch or dinner. THANKS to all who have raved about Kona on the boards. Cost for one before tip: $11.27.

fraz

I'm loving your reviews, fraz. It's always helpful for me when a reviewer includes prices. We plan to try Kona on our upcoming trip and oyu make it sound wonderful- we are big coffee drinkers, so we will enjoy!

Thanks!:bounce:

I know you will, maidmarion! The coffee cup is enormous, btw, and the waitress surprised me at first by filling it only 2/3 full. She explained it was so that the coffee wouldn't cool too quickly and promised to be back regularly, which she certainly was. I'm still shaking my head over not wanting to spring for the press pot - what's $6.99 for coffee when you're spending megabucks for everything else?

fraz

Thanks for the great reviews! All three of these restaurants are on our must-do list for our Jan trip, although we will be trying Kona for lunch instead of breakfast. Glad to hear that you had good food experiences on your trip!

Great reviews we've been to all those restaurants and liked them all. And yest the Tonga toast is great, but way too much for just me.

Enjoyed your reviews. Sounds like a lot of fun and good meals.

We love Kona, too, for any meal. Great food and service.

Thanks for the reviews!! I can't wait to try Le Cellier on our next trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter