Dining Reviews Part 2 - Counter Service

CamColt

This was a trip where I went against everything I stand for. I left home with not 1 PS. :scared1: Despite no PSs, I ate very well and was able to get in at the places I wanted, when I wanted. I also tried a few new places which is another crazy thing for me. :scared: To top it off, this was a solo trip, so for some meals it was just me or I was with different people at different times.
And for the record I dont usually eat or drink like this at home. I was truly in vacation mode. ;)

BOARDWALK BAKERY- I had eaten here once before, last year, and remembered DS had gotten donuts which I tried and thought were good. They sounded good to me this morning so I took a walk to the BW and went to the Bakery. There was no line when I arrived, probably around 9:00. Of course once I saw all the other items in the display case I couldn’t make up my mind of what I wanted. Everything looked so good. :earseek: I finally went with my original instinct and got a vanilla frosted and a chocolate frosted donut. The one thing I forgot from before was how BIG these donuts are. 1 would have been enough but…they are so good I managed ok. ;)
Once again BW Bakery donuts get a big thumbs up from me. I even like these better than Krispy Kreme(which I do really like).

COSMIC RAYS- We arrived at MK, before MVMCP began and since there wasn’t much going on then we decided to grab a bite to eat. We picked Cosmic Rays mainly because it was the first place we came across. Here we had the basics, burgers & fries, and found them to be pretty good. They have a decent toppings bar too. I would eat here again if I were in the mood for a burger while in the MK.

TUBBI’S- This 24 hour Buffeteria in the Dolphin comes in handy late at night. We were got here at about 2:00am, after we closed out Jellyrolls. We were the only customers in there and the CMs were friendly to us. I’m sure people coming in at that hour keep their job exciting, LOL! My friends each had a Krispy Kreme donut, which I couldn’t even think about eating at that point. They were fresh and warm at this time in the morning and they enjoyed them. We also split a pizza and that really it the spot. It was delicious and very filling. Then again, after a night at Jellyrolls, I'm sure anything would have been yummy.;) I would stop in here again if I were in the area and hungry.

Since this was a solo trip for me I hit a few more bars and clubs than I usually do with my family. I had the opportunity to test out a few specialty drinks so I’ll give a quick review of those here.
PLEASURE ISLAND
-COMEDY WAREHOUSE
- Here I had one of their signature drinks, the Loco Coco. It was not like anything I had every had before…very yummy too. I believe it was made with a vanilla & chocolate Barcadi and dark crème de cocoa. I would make a point to go back there for that drink.
-ADVENTURERS CLUB- I had heard so much about their famous drink here, the Kungaloosh, that I just had to try one. I’m not usually big on fruity drinks so I wasn’t sure about this one. It wasn’t overly fruity though, and I can’t even tell you what was in it, but it was pretty good, and strong too. Be sure to get it with whipped cream on top.
SWAN
-Splash Terrace
- I believe this is the name of the little pool bar out by the hot tub. If not, that’s where I was. One day I tried a Banana Cabana which was very good. Another time I ordered a Frozen Mudslide which wasn’t as good. It wasn’t bad but almost had a coconut flavor to it. I wondered if the bartender hadn’t fully washed out the blender before he made the drink. I didn’t actually see if he used the right ingredients when he made it, but it definitely didnt taste like a usual Mudslide.
POLYNESIAN
-TAMBU LOUNGE
- This is always one of my favorite spots in WDW. Its so relaxing, I love the Poly atmosphere, and the drinks aren’t too bad either. ;) I had planned to visit here for 1 drink before going to MVMCP. When I arrived I sat at the bar and ordered a Frozen Mudslide. The bartender (I wish I had gotten his name as he was very good) said he hadn’t made one in a while, but he would try. Well he did a very good job because it was delicious. It was so good, I ended up having another. I then got a phone call saying my friend was meeting me there not at MK like I had thought, so my 1 quick drink soon turned into 3. As you can tell, these were very good drinks. I can’t wait to get back there.
Well, that pretty much sums up the eating and drinking from my trip and I can’t say I had a bad meal. Any questions, fire away.

Great reviews! I plan to hit quite a few of those places next week. I'll especially keep your drink descriptions in mind. Thanks! :D

I love the lounge at the Poly! DH and I sat in those funky wicker chairs, ordering Mai Tai's and appetizers, and just enjoyed the down time (kids were at Neverland Club). Last trip, we did breakfast at 'Ohana instead of dinner, and I truly missed the Mai Tai's! LOL!

Enjoyes your reviews, CamColt.

How would you describe the pizza at Tubbi's? Thin crisp crust, floppy NY style thin, medium, or deep dish ?? Was the sauce good and was it real cheese or sort of tasteless and congealed? Always on the lookout for good pizza at WDW. Thanks.

I love the Tambu Lounge as well :) Glad to see you went to the Adventurer's Club, we just went last night and always love it.

At the Tambu Lounge, if you ever want something to knock you on your butt, the Zombie is strongstrongstrong and yummy.

CamColt said:
POLYNESIAN
-TAMBU LOUNGE
- This is always one of my favorite spots in WDW. Its so relaxing, I love the Poly atmosphere, and the drinks aren’t too bad either. ;) I had planned to visit here for 1 drink before going to MVMCP. When I arrived I sat at the bar and ordered a Frozen Mudslide. The bartender (I wish I had gotten his name as he was very good) said he hadn’t made one in a while, but he would try. Well he did a very good job because it was delicious. It was so good, I ended up having another. I then got a phone call saying my friend was meeting me there not at MK like I had thought, so my 1 quick drink soon turned into 3. As you can tell, these were very good drinks. I can’t wait to get back there.
Well, that pretty much sums up the eating and drinking from my trip and I can’t say I had a bad meal. Any questions, fire away.
After 3 drinks, did you make it to MVMCP? :duck:

Thanks for your comments everyone.
BCV23, the sauce was sort of a darker pastey type of sauce and while the slices werent really big, the dough was thick. I wouldnt call it deep dish, but there was a good amount of dough there, not paper thin.
LOL, Dana! At the rate I was going I was questioning that myself. Usually I think of Mudslides as like a dessert, with not really much alcohol, but I watched this guy make them and he really poured it in there. Now if I had gone for 3 of those Zombies Forever42 mentioned I may have been in real trouble.

Thanks for the explanation on Spoodles pizza at the window. I can now eliminate it. I enjoy crispy thin crust, NY floppy, or even deep dish....but plain old thick crust is not too my liking. It is good to know.

BCV23 said:
Thanks for the explanation on Spoodles pizza at the window. I can now eliminate it. I enjoy crispy thin crust, NY floppy, or even deep dish....but plain old thick crust is not too my liking. It is good to know.
Just to clarify, that was at Tubbis, not Spoodles. ;)

We always make a point to go to Cosmic Rays in MK. We love their fixin's bar & they do have a pretty big selection of food for a counter service restaurant. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter