Dining Wars: Drinking's Edge - An August 2018 Dining Report - Updated 2/18: Completed

Given my notes I'm going to say this was another successful trip to Yacthsman
Your review has me all excited for our dinner there on TUESDAY!!!!

I had totally forgotten about that. Maybe it was the same guy??? But unlike Steve I had most definitely not given them the wrong name.
I would never think you'd give the wrong name, that's more a Steve thing:sad2: Our guy was about 108 years old so......maybe it was him? On the other hand he may not be driving anymore...........

We MUST do Nomads together,
::yes:: Book your %$@@ May flights, get in early enough Friday and we'll do it! Or fit it in somewhere, we can do whatever we want!
#nofamilyallfun

This is the Cimarola a fried artichoke stuffed with stracchino cheese and prosciutto. Those of you who know me well know that artichokes are my absolute favorite food and thankfully this did not disappoint. The artichoke was fried to perfection in a light tempura like batter and it went well with the melted cheese and salty prosciutto
OMG Steve would absolutely devour this and I'd love it too! I don't think we'll end up there next week but hopefully it stays on the menu for awhile.

The arugula adds a bit of bitterness and some crunch to an already perfect combination.
:confused: :snooty:

I’ve eaten a lot of pizza in my life (you don’t look this good by only eating salad)
You know it baby! When I'm on my deathbed I'm not going to regret not enjoying FOOD!!!!

Why do I think this was the same driver that took @ariane37 to “The Grand Resort Kissimmee”???
lmao because only certain DIS'ers could end up with these experiences :laughing: Like I said up-post, our guy - probably had most of his good driving years behind him (ahem) and MAY have decided to retire between our trip and Kari's, or in some other way beyond his control been forced to stop driving :rolleyes1 But who knows, maybe he is lucky enough to have met us both lol!

Perfect timing! I always want to meet this belle, but it is always hot and a line..
Same here. We completely just lucked into her walking out as we were headed into Epcot. I guess World Showcase opening is a great time to get there.

I remember when we ate at Trattoria Al Forno, Gwen was so excitied that she got to have mozzarella sticks as her meal.
Casey too! I was shocked she didn't want pizza in the first place as she usually loves the Carciofi right with me, but as soon as she heard mozzarella sticks no chance she was changing her mind.

How much was the uber? We talked about staying off site sometime. But wasn't sure how much it would cost.
I don't exactly remember. I wanna say around $40 or so. Whatever it was was well worth it to get an extra hour and a half in the park. I hate getting to the airport so early and we always have pre-check so it is so unnecessary.

Your post just reminded me how much I love Via Napoli. I just made a reservation for our upcoming trip! Loved your report. Thanks for all the fantastic photos and the even better commentary :)
How exciting you have another trip coming up and even better to have Via Napoli planned for it! We are headed down in just 5 days and I'm sure Via Napoli will be somewhere in the mix!!!!

It always baffles me when people complain about Via Napoli. Their wood burning ovens are the real deal and they import ingredients from Italy... what’s not to like? I’ve had pizza in Chicago, NYC, LA, DC, Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix... all over (except for Italy sadly, although some of the best oddly enough was had in Oaxaca Mexico) and VN is legit. Not the best I’ve ever had anywhere but absolutely traditional neopolitan and delicious. My guess is those who don’t like it must prefer Domino’s.
Amen!!!! I don't get why people pan is so much. I, like you, have had pizza in some of the "best" places and Via Napoli is right up there. Of course except for Dominos or Papa Johns which sadly is on its way to my house as I type (don't tell anyone I'll lose my "foodie" status) :P

:thanks:Loved every bit of this! Laughed out loud over and over and over...and those pics, wicked epic!
No, thank you for following along. So glad you enjoyed! I know I had a blast eating and drinking it all!

There's a thread here on the boards, "the worst room view…" You MUST add your scaffold pics. I think you win!
I follow that and contemplated posting them but figured I'd start an unintentional flurry of people thinking the construction is still going on.

I love Casey's face :rotfl2:
She is quite my little ham!

It looks like you had a great last day! Your food looked awesome at Via Napoli.
It was a great day and even better we'll be back again in 5 days!

There's that million dollar view!!!! JEALOUS!!!!

Yep, Via Napoli is one of the better restaurants on property. I also have a difficult time ordering anything but pizza here. It's just sooooo good!!! Darn, but those artichokes look delicious!!!!
Only the best for us Jenny, only the best :P

The artichokes were magical!!!! As long as they keep them on the menu I'll find a way to fit them and the pizza in my belly!

I feel the same way. I am curious to try some of the pasta on the menu, but it is so hard to turn down Via Napoli pizza!
It sounds like a wonderful last day.
I must admit I like to start and end the trip at MK, although if I was staying at a resort in walking distance to Epcot, I would be tempted to end there too.
We go back and forth on where to end. Our trips usually end on a Saturday and I won't go near MK on that day. We did it once and madness!!! We ended at Epcot this time since we were so close and we're doing AK on our trip next week. As long as I end with a drink I'm usually pretty agnostic where it is :drinking1

Well now I just want pizza. Looks like a perfect last day! (P.S. I am still so offended by the scaffolding in front of my room. Yes, that room is MINE. I owned that balcony last September! :laughing:)
Me too and what do you know a pizza, though sadly not Via Napoli, is on its way to our house as I type. It would have been the best room were it not for the scaffolding. I'm still confused as to why they didn't mention it when they gave it us, but we were so desperate for a balcony we took it.

All caught up. Big points for Jason planning an awesome surprise and the added planning. Casey looked great in her pirate costume and make-up. Cracking up at each reference to the scaffolding club. Hope you have a great time in a few days.

Mmm yum looks like a fantastic last day!!
Fantastic indeed!

Via Napoli is always a winner for us, my sister remembered it from 2016 and asked to go again!
Sounds like your sister has great taste. Can't wait to hear how it was.

I’m with you getting to airport so early is not needed. Spending as much time in the park is the way to go!
I understand they do it so you don't miss the plane and they are responsible, but who wants to sit around the airport when you could be in a park :confused3

The artichoke pizza at Via Napoli looks and sounds amazing...I wish they did gluten-free crust! (Are they the only place at Disney that doesn't have GF version of everything?!)...
Have you ever asked if they have one? As allergy friendly as Disney is I"m surprised to hear they don't have it. Of course I like my crust with extra gluten :P

I always enjoy your reports - we have a lot of the same favorites (Nomad, Jiko, Yachtsman, Cali Grille).
Sounds like we both have amazing taste :-)

We skipped Magical Express back to the airport last weekend too, 3 hours is way too early to be picked up. Did you get your Uber for ~2 hours before flight?
I don't remember but it was probably pretty close to the 2 hour mark. That is what we usually do at home, but we're a little closer to the airport.

Great report! Looking forward to the next one. Have a great trip and make sure to check out the Deconstructed Reuben at Epcot next week!
Thanks so much! I need to write down what I want to eat at the Festival and where to find it - including the reuben which I love! Last time we just winged it and it did not turn out well for us.

Okay I got really behind but then the Dis did some kind of time warp and brought me to page 23. So I will eventually have to go back and see what these forums so kindly skipped on my behalf... now take your time machine back to page 23 and prepare for these comments!
I'm thinking we should be playing 23 in the lottery :P

oh my goodness that is so sweet! And wait, was it your birthday? :P Husband points!!!
My birthday? What in the world would make you think it was my birthday? Clearly no one else with an August birthday would know that mine is in August too :D

Wow this turned out great! Was it a special thing they were doing or just at one of the regular face painting stands?
No it was special. We just asked if they could do a pirate patch for her and then Casey made sure they knew she wanted to be a girl pirate and voila pirate:pirate:pirate:

pretty sure it is the Snoop-Dogg-famous dinoslizzicken
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: You should know I thought this was perhaps a real thing so I googled it only to find a singular google link to this report and lots of pictures of my child. Not sure if I'm amazed or terrified by that o_O

I can only imagine the calamity! And... Ummm... I am ashamed to admit the Barney song “if all the raindrops where lemon drops and gum drops oh what a rain that would be” immediately came to mind! I wonder if the custodial crew kept any of your treats. :rotfl:
I am proud to admit that I have no clue what song you are talking about and ashamed that you do :P

:rotfl: Why do I think this was the same driver that took @ariane37 to “The Grand Resort Kissimmee”???
I can't believe you remember that!!! She was coming to meet me and I even forgot about that.

Gimme them big beers!!!
I think I read that they are made by Terrapin and you know a Georgia beer is the way to my heart :lovestruc
I'm location agnostic on the beer front, I just like em big and cheap :drinking1

Oh, how I love Via Napoli. That pizza is perfection, and, like you, I can never tear myself away from it to try something else. The people who complain about the char on the crust and/or that it is “foldable” pizza just don’t know pizza or how to eat it!
Amen sister!!!!!!! When I see people complain about the char I know that is a dining thread I can just go ahead and exit left on :P

So sad to see this report drawing to a close but thrilled to hear you’re heading back soon!!! More tipsy notes!!!!!
Hopefully some tipsy notes are on the horizon. My job has been very rough lately and I am in need of some fun and lots of adult beverages :drinking1

I love this and am totally going to start using it. Wonder if I could get away with it in emails to my clients.

“U send me too many crazy emails Y Y Y”
You could totally get away with it. I'll start using them in my job too. YYY did we make a decision and then you reversed it. YYYYYYYYY!!!! (sadly this is like a daily occurrence)

Wow, who knew jammy wine was such a - ahem - leg opening experience?

(Right, keep your comments to yourselves people)
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Jason. He definitely knew what :P

Please please tell me that the yachtsman has renamed the potatoes gratin to XTREME TATERS!!! You and Jason should really work on a restaurant. He can create everything what with his chefery experience and you can make tipsy notes on everything to pen the menu.
I love that idea!!!!!!! I'll have to add this to the many conversations we have on opening a food truck (not a restaurant, too much responsibility). We've already officially named said truck spork. (all lower case and a period at the end aptly named after my favorite utensil) and everything we serve has to be eaten by a spork. I can imagine our tipsy menu now.....

Xtreme Taters - fried tatas so good krispy kreme inside jollypenos hot but not cause creme. YYY

I may need to stop reading for the night as R seems to have fallen asleep and I can’t stop laughing ;) GREAT updates!
Please apologize to him on my behalf. And now a shapeless plug for your to start writing again so I have something to keep Jason up to!

Yes! I've been there. Pretty sure that's also the place where chickens run lose? :laughing: Or am I thinking of another stereotypically Key Westy restaurant? :rotfl:
Yes and yes. Chickens are all over the town, but they seem to embrace them at Blue Heaven!!!!! I've only ever eaten breakfast there and its amazing

What!? How cool. I love a nice chance encounter at Disney. That's how I first met Su-Lynn :goodvibes
I remember reading about that. Susan and I had met once before or else I'm not sure I would have noticed her cold. I"m generally never aware of my surroundings.

I have no words to describe how much I think I'd love this :cloud9:
You totally would!!!!

I'm caught up again! Your dining reviews and your delightful child are ever-entertaining!
Casey is certainly entertaining. Just yesterday in the 30 degree weather she went outside in an Elsa dress and spent like 30 minutes riding around on her big wheel that she outgrew at least 3 years ago.

Yahooo trip in 10 days!!!!

I think I’m the only one who doesn’t eat at via Napoli.... starting to feel left out m
Down to 4 now!!!!! I think you just found a place to eat on your next trip :-)

I so love Via Napoli's Carciofi pizza, too, and I discovered it by way of you, so I will always be grateful! :love: I hate when your trips, and thus your dining reports, come to an end! :sad: When is your next one?
I remember Jason and I first eating at Via Napoli in 2010 after it had just opened and I ate the Carciofi pizza then and every other visit since then. When its good, no need to change :-)

And trip coming up in 4 days!!! Though if I'm anything like usual it will be May before I get a report started. :P Speaking of reports, did you do one for your January trip?

Via Napoli looks so awesome. I really need to try it sometime.

Another great trip for your family! When's your next trip?
What??? I cannot believe you haven't tried Via Napoli.

We are headed to the World in exactly 4 days on Casey's birthday!!!!

FABULOUS TR as always!!! Thanks for keeping me entertained and helping pass the time until our next trip - which right now is 3 days!!!

Can't wait for your next one!
If I'm time traveling correctly you are in Disney NOW!!!!!! Hope you are having an amazing time, and even more important eating and drinking well :drinking1

Down to 4 now!!!!! I think you just found a place to eat on your next trip :-)

Yahoo! Have a fabulous trip!!

I just can’t seem to do it, I am sure I have mentioned before but they are owned by patina group, and we go to there restaurants pretty regularly at home, so it makes it hard for me to use a meal on something I can pretty much get at home.... but I know i would love it, so maybe we will go....decisions decisions!

I absolutely love Via Napoli -- in fact, it was the second reservation I made for our April Trip (after bottomless brunch at the Contemporary!). I'm allergic to tomatoes, so the Carciofi has been my choice forever, but you inspired me to add arugula the last time I was there, and I feel like I should say thank you.
And what do you know I feel like I should say you are welcome!!! I can just sit and eat arugula plain so you know when there is a chance to put it on a pizza I'm going to take it. And good call on your April reservation order. I love me some Via Napoli but bottomless and brunch are two words that should always take precedence. :P

Looks like a lovely last meal! They had that artichoke dish at the Wine vs Beer pairing and it was good and I don’t usually eat artichokes! Can’t blame you for wanting to stick to your normal pizzas - sometimes it’s just nice to go with what you love even if you have reviewed it many times!
I thought it looked like the same dish when you had it but i wasn't a 100% sure. Now we can have it all the time!

I always feel like I'm dialing it in with a Via Napoli review, but I figure there is nothing wrong with consistency when it comes to perfect pizza.

Happy you finally got some pool time in your refurb room! Hopefully you get a better view your next trip!
Hopefully we get some pool time next week. Weather is looking like we should. We are staying at Shades of Green this time around, which is new to us, so no idea what to expect view wise but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it at least won't have scaffolding :P

As much as we love pizza we have yet to get to Via Napoli. Our Epcot day used to be Chef's( when they had a lunch menu) & then the restaurant formerly known as Capt. Grille for a lobster roll. But Jason's pie is making me hungry, sorry artichokes are something DH & I have not yet developed a taste.
Via Napoli is definitely our Epcot favorite, but we were just talking last night about trying something new. Right now its looking like Chefs as last time we were there Jason and I were in college and not even dating (it was a trip with a bunch of college friends) so its been a while, though I didn't know there wasn't a lunch menu.

I can totally see artichokes being an acquired taste. I'm Italian and they have been my favorite food since about birth. It must be genetic as Casey came out the exact same way.

Tipsy dining makes an already awesome trip report even more awesome-er! Feel free to incorporate tipsy dining into your upcoming trip (an excellent excuse for some adult dining and beveraging). Have a fabulous trip!!!
Who are we kidding, tipsy makes everything more awesome-er :P I'm sure we'll have some tipsy adventures on our next trip. Funny thing is I new know when I've actually done it. I rarely read my notes until I'm going to write about them and on particularly tipsy meals I'm usually so into the meal/drinks I hastily write something later and voila.....Tipsy notes are born!

Brilliant trip report :thumbsup2 Thanks for sharing your tipsy reviews and that awesome balcony view with us :rotfl:
Thanks so much. I know your jealous about the balcony and want that to be your view on your next trip!

Your Via Napoli meal looks delicious . So delicious it’s making me hungry but grandson asleep at the kitchen end of the room and I’m not hungry enough to risk waking him so I shall starve a while longer:rotfl2::rotfl2:
Hope grandson finally woke up so you could get some much needed sustenance!!! popcorn::

Awesome report!! I'm a binge reader for dining reports and it was a fun 28 pages. :) Glad y'all had a great trip!
Thanks so much for binging me :confused3:confused3:confused3 Glad you enjoyed, I know I enjoyed partaking in it all!

Your review has me all excited for our dinner there on TUESDAY!!!!
I don't recall you eating here much, have you???? Hope you enjoy. I want pictures!!!!

I would never think you'd give the wrong name, that's more a Steve thing:sad2: Our guy was about 108 years old so......maybe it was him? On the other hand he may not be driving anymore...........
This guy was not 108 but we'll go with he was his grandson and directional skills run in the family :P

::yes:: Book your %$@@ May flights, get in early enough Friday and we'll do it! Or fit it in somewhere, we can do whatever we want!
#nofamilyallfun
I know, I know. I'll bite the bullet on something when we get back. What can I say I'm cheap when it comes to flights so I can spend more money on :drinking1

OMG Steve would absolutely devour this and I'd love it too! I don't think we'll end up there next week but hopefully it stays on the menu for awhile.
Even betters lets put our men together and let them figure out how to cook if for us so we can have it anytime :-)

lmao because only certain DIS'ers could end up with these experiences :laughing: Like I said up-post, our guy - probably had most of his good driving years behind him (ahem) and MAY have decided to retire between our trip and Kari's, or in some other way beyond his control been forced to stop driving :rolleyes1 But who knows, maybe he is lucky enough to have met us both lol!
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

And trip coming up in 4 days!!! Though if I'm anything like usual it will be May before I get a report started. :P Speaking of reports, did you do one for your January trip?

Woo Hoo!!! Can't wait to read your next DR! I did not do a report for our January trip, unfortunately. We were traveling with family members with some unusual eating habits & behavioral issues, to put it delicately, and in a way I can't in trouble should somehow they see this post! :rotfl2: I have a trip coming up in 39 days with my husband, my sister & her husband. My sister & I are arriving three days before the guys to have some girl time! We've got lots of dining booked, plus it's the F&G Festival, so I'll def do a report for that trip.

Dining Wars: Drinking's Edge: The Tipsy Strikes Back

Like any good Star Wars Movie our dining adventures must come to an end. But also like any good Star Wars movie there is a sequel already in the making (more to come on that later).

My thanks to everyone who followed-along, commented, lurked, binged, and hopefully in all cases ate and drank their way along with me. And my apologies to all the Star Wars fans out there for horrible references I'm sure made you cringe. Doing the world for my birthday was a blast, so please do indulge me with some parting thoughts.

Lodging

With a split stay between Boardwalk and Beach Club, I was sure the ladder would steal my heart but between our "amazing" view and constant pool closures I'll be sticking to the Boardwalk next time.

Best Overall Meal

California Grill

Now I may be a bit biased as this was my official birthday meal, but California Grill is consistency our favorite Disney restaurant and it again did not disappoint. Between our perfect flatbread, amazing entrees, delicious desserts, lots of wine, my favorite people and even some Happily Ever After it was the best birthday I could imagine.

Best Table Service
Via Napoli

After our last meal I'm sure no one is surprised by this, but couple the most indulgent pizza ever with a new artichoke appetizer and I officially heart all things Via Napoli.

Best Counter Service
Satuli Canteen

Beyond the surprise that we ate at not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 Counter Service places Satuli was a surprise on its own. Delicious table service worthy food and huge beers gives me hope Disney Counter Service is on the upswing.

And honorable mention to D-Luxe burger for soaking up all my birthday tipsiness.

Best Appetizer
Yak n Yeti

This is a hard one as we ate a lot of great apps (including the aforementioned fried artichoke), but I gotta give it to what is hands down one of the best things going in Disney World: Ahi Tuna Nachos!

Best Entree
Flying Fish

Despite taking my comment that Casey and I would share literally and splitting our entree, my scallops were perfectly cooked and succulent and nothing could taste bad on top of their buttery and creamy grits. Well almost nothing :P

Best Dessert
Pineapple Upside Down Dole Whip

We didn't eat a ton of desserts this trip, but how can you go wrong with Dole Whip on cake! Answer is you can't!!!

Best Drink
Nomad's Lounge

Nomads, How do I love thee? I love thy gin and rum and tequila and apps and atmosphere and and and and and....

Biggest Disappointment
Tiffins

Nothing we ate was bad but from the cold food to a horrible server and poorly behaved children to the tiniest dessert on the planet, a once favorite Tiffins has fallen. I'm sure we'll be back at some point, but I'm gonna give them some time alone and think about what they've done first. :P
Honorable Mention
As always I wanted to shout out our beloved Tables in Wonderland card which saved us almost $400 on this trip.

I'll also give J and D a shout-out here for braving Disney, and in August of all times, in the name of my birthday.

D had a blast, so much so that she'll be coming along with us on our next trip. J not so much, but he was trooper and never complained as long as we kept him well hydrated. :drinking1

And speaking of next trips, we leave in exactly 4 days for our next trip!!! It is Casey's 8th birthday and she, Jason, and D will all be running in the Princess races. They have all been way too into their costumes and with my crew no chance the photos will disappoint. I will be doing nothing that remotely smells like Princesses or Races, but with a few ADRs made for Hoop Dee Doo, California Grill, and Sanaa eating and drinking I will!!!! We'll be staying at Shades of Green, which is new for us. I'm not sure how we will like being at a non-Disney hotel but considering the great price and the fact that we are still on property hopefully all is well. Plus we should be meeting up with @chunkymonkey and @StarWarsMomofGirls! (where Casey and her Disney doppleganger Gwen will finally meet) though we'll miss @ariane37 by just a few hours :sad:

To end it like it began, may the dining force be with you. Now off to more tipsy adventures :drinking1

Awesome TR as ever Kari!!! I really love all your food and drink descriptions!
Have a great time at Shades of Green! Shoot, just have a great vacation! I can't wait to hear all about it!!!!
So jealous that you get to eat at California Grill in Feb and May!!!!8-)

Really enjoyed your report, as always, and am looking forward to the next one!!!

After years and years of making so many ADRs months ahead, for at least 2 or more daily for my trips, I have started really enjoying more of a laid back approach with maybe 2 to 4 ADRs for the week. Other than that, I have been just winging the rest of the trip either appetizers at lounges, event food booths, last minute meal ADRs, and some quick serve.

Awesome trip report... Star Wars references and all! Excited to read about your next trip! Have a fantastic time!

IMG_6181.jpg

:rotfl: I love your family.

Now I may be a bit biased as this was my official birthday meal, but California Grill is consistency our favorite Disney restaurant and it again did not disappoint. Between our perfect flatbread, amazing entrees, delicious desserts, lots of wine, my favorite people and even some Happily Ever After it was the best birthday I could imagine.

Yummmm! We're planning to try Cali Grill for dinner for the first time ever this summer. I'm sure it won't disappoint.

Satuli was a surprise on its own. Delicious table service worthy food and huge beers gives me hope Disney Counter Service is on the upswing.

Mmmmmm Satuli Canteen! I'm so glad it was a good experience for you.

Nothing we ate was bad but from the cold food to a horrible server and poorly behaved children to the tiniest dessert on the planet, a once favorite Tiffins has fallen.

This is so disappointing. We're hoping to get back to Tiffins again this summer, and I hope it goes better than it did for you. :sad1:

Plus we should be meeting up with @chunkymonkey and @StarWarsMomofGirls! (where Casey and her Disney doppleganger Gwen will finally meet)

Yay! I hope Casey hits it off with Gwen and Morgan! This is a meet I can't wait to hear about!

So that artichoke app at Via Napoli is perfect 'cause you can do artichoke for both courses, as you did, and as I will also do next time (if that new app stays around-- fingers crossed).

I love sticking around at the parks longer than you're "supposed" to, it feels like extra vacation. We've been driving since Asher was born so when we do that, we get to our hotel in Georgia right at or past bedtime, which is a little hectic, but worth a couple of extra park hours. We will probably be doing the same as you with the Uber once we start flying.

Enjoyed your report, as always. I'm already looking forward to the next one!

Thanks Kari for a another brilliantly funny TR. Looking forward to the next one. Can't wait to drink with you in May.
Y5Ne.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!