Dirty room at Poly

MrsScroogeMcDuck

Earning My Ears
We were considering buying at Poly and decided to stay for a few days. Paid cash for room. Checked in Thursday and checked out Monday for marathon weekend and daughters 18th birthday. We’ve always loved the Poly and have stayed there 5 or 6 times. The DVC room was a big disappointment and changed our mind about purchasing there. The room was not clean and the furnishings were stained and badly worn. The pic of the white napkin below is the dirt from the door frame in the single shower bath area. There were black mildew spots on the shower head. Mildew on wall by shower. All of the sink areas looked like they hadn’t been cleaned thoroughly in a long time. Dried paint on towel racks - not a smudge - a lot. Couch and chairs were badly stained and badly snagged. The flowered bed throw was also badly stained and snagged. Dust on headboard and Murphy bed. My husband thought the resort was going to be updated in the next year or 2 and it was just normal wear and tear, so I was initially not going to complain. For $500 a night, I had second thoughts and used the Q-code on our welcome letter to submit feedback. I received a call from on site management almost immediately and they were sympathetic and gave us each 2 fast passes. Is this the norm for Poly now? We are finishing our trip in a regular/non-DVC room at Beach Club and it is just so much cleaner. Like a night and day difference! It is like no one takes any time to look at these rooms or just doesn’t care.

Attachments

• 170D30C2-B93A-46F7-816E-B2D185BD6156.jpeg
    170D30C2-B93A-46F7-816E-B2D185BD6156.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 447
  • 66602CE5-3F07-44E3-9A49-BB3DD5181121.jpeg
    66602CE5-3F07-44E3-9A49-BB3DD5181121.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 444
  • A0E2A8DC-B920-453C-B244-653CAA523922.jpeg
    A0E2A8DC-B920-453C-B244-653CAA523922.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 435
  • 16DA0AE3-68E6-4BB7-96DF-51287ECADC05.jpeg
    16DA0AE3-68E6-4BB7-96DF-51287ECADC05.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 426
  • 80FAE028-53E3-476A-B3DF-5B527167D311.jpeg
    80FAE028-53E3-476A-B3DF-5B527167D311.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 426
  • 36CFF98E-7A71-4C0F-95F1-F771B6B87328.jpeg
    36CFF98E-7A71-4C0F-95F1-F771B6B87328.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 431
  • C1E18974-2059-446E-BAEE-84916294B29F.jpeg
    C1E18974-2059-446E-BAEE-84916294B29F.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 424
  • 67167DC3-938A-4952-ABCF-4AE37722C054.jpeg
    67167DC3-938A-4952-ABCF-4AE37722C054.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 457
  • 021AB92E-AC36-4256-8828-2401DAF4C912.jpeg
    021AB92E-AC36-4256-8828-2401DAF4C912.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 429
  • E69170F6-959B-40F5-BA57-4F30803B2302.jpeg
    E69170F6-959B-40F5-BA57-4F30803B2302.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 422
Sink pics

Attachments

• FB0C55FE-FB8E-4DF8-ABE9-403CDF1F15FE.jpeg
    FB0C55FE-FB8E-4DF8-ABE9-403CDF1F15FE.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 119
  • 910ED916-1C18-46C1-95F7-364FD7E16EEF.jpeg
    910ED916-1C18-46C1-95F7-364FD7E16EEF.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 111
Furniture snags

Attachments

• 80519E05-8E6F-4BC7-B26F-0CF9432456FD.jpeg
    80519E05-8E6F-4BC7-B26F-0CF9432456FD.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 444F2972-2AEB-46D5-99B2-F7794E7423AF.jpeg
    444F2972-2AEB-46D5-99B2-F7794E7423AF.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 139
  • C90D5570-9D67-454E-AC87-BF35F764623A.jpeg
    C90D5570-9D67-454E-AC87-BF35F764623A.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 147
  • 9CD08CB9-AECB-4ABC-AF53-C282C6F9FFE5.jpeg
    9CD08CB9-AECB-4ABC-AF53-C282C6F9FFE5.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 138
We own Poly DVC and had a dirty room on our first stay 2 years ago. Got a re-cleaning, fast passes, points returned to account for that night. Then in November 2019 we stayed there for the second time...again a dirty room!! I was so disappointed! Shower drain grate was standing up in the shower upon arriving in our room and you could see all the gunk and old hair collected on the underside of it...ewwww!! So gross. Walked to front desk to speak to cast member, received partial credit for dinner we had just had at Ohana's, fast passes and a maintenance call and housekeeping to re-clean shower. I was not pleased with how front desk cast member would not even give me eye contact as I was speaking politely and did not offer compensation on their own, I had to suggest it! So, I submitted feedback on management letter that was in the room. On-duty manager called me back. Gave me another $100 credit for dinner and some fast passes. Then, a few hours later when getting ready to go to bed, my son slid under the sheets in the pull down bed and came up with a huge hunk of long hair in his hand!! Ewww. I've never been more grossed out by a room. Called manager again and asked to be upgraded and moved to another room which he was happy to do, however absolutely no other rooms available at any monorail resort. Housekeeping came and cleaned the room and changed all the bedding on all the beds as I watched. Housekeeping manager came and offered me another cleaning in the morning and a credit for our BOG breakfast the next morning. Manager called back and said that he had returned 1 night of DVC points back to our account and offered to move us to a room down the hall the next day. At that point, I knew our room was clean because I witnessed the cleaning and was not even sure the room down the hall would be clean - plus we had to sleep in original room that night, so I declined the different room for the next day. Needless to say, this was extremely disappointing and frustrating and took SO much time out of our afternoon and evening and the kids got to bed late. I just don't know what to do about staying at the Poly in the future. This was part of a split stay so after 4 nights, we moved to the Beach Club and it was spotless!!! And I received a room exactly where I hoped when I put in my room requests. Just not sure where the disconnect is with the Poly and housekeeping.

We own Poly DVC and had a dirty room on our first stay 2 years ago. Got a re-cleaning, fast passes, points returned to account for that night. Then in November 2019 we stayed there for the second time...again a dirty room!! I was so disappointed! Shower drain grate was standing up in the shower upon arriving in our room and you could see all the gunk and old hair collected on the underside of it...ewwww!! So gross. Walked to front desk to speak to cast member, received partial credit for dinner we had just had at Ohana's, fast passes and a maintenance call and housekeeping to re-clean shower. I was not pleased with how front desk cast member would not even give me eye contact as I was speaking politely and did not offer compensation on their own, I had to suggest it! So, I submitted feedback on management letter that was in the room. On-duty manager called me back. Gave me another $100 credit for dinner and some fast passes. Then, a few hours later when getting ready to go to bed, my son slid under the sheets in the pull down bed and came up with a huge hunk of long hair in his hand!! Ewww. I've never been more grossed out by a room. Called manager again and asked to be upgraded and moved to another room which he was happy to do, however absolutely no other rooms available at any monorail resort. Housekeeping came and cleaned the room and changed all the bedding on all the beds as I watched. Housekeeping manager came and offered me another cleaning in the morning and a credit for our BOG breakfast the next morning. Manager called back and said that he had returned 1 night of DVC points back to our account and offered to move us to a room down the hall the next day. At that point, I knew our room was clean because I witnessed the cleaning and was not even sure the room down the hall would be clean - plus we had to sleep in original room that night, so I declined the different room for the next day. Needless to say, this was extremely disappointing and frustrating and took SO much time out of our afternoon and evening and the kids got to bed late. I just don't know what to do about staying at the Poly in the future. This was part of a split stay so after 4 nights, we moved to the Beach Club and it was spotless!!! And I received a room exactly where I hoped when I put in my room requests. Just not sure where the disconnect is with the Poly and housekeeping.
So it sounds like there is an issue with housekeeping at Poly in general.

We don't own DVC, so when we stay at the Poly, we receive daily mousekeeping. DVC does not. Perhaps the rooms would be maintained better if they were cleaned daily instead of just between guests. Just a thought.

We just got back from a Poly Villas stay (01-04 to -01-07) and had poop smeared on the toilet seat. I wiped it down and didn't complain.... I LOVE the Poly and think the studios might be the best as far as DVC goes, but am consistently disappointed when I stay there. I'm sorry you had a bad stay, but you are NOT alone!

We are taking my wife's grandparents there for their first visit since the 70s and we have never stayed there before. Glad I fly in solo earlier than them now so I can inspect everything before they get there

So it sounds like there is an issue with housekeeping at Poly in general.
Absolutely. I have spent around 200 nights in Disney hotels. I have complained twice. Once at the poly for general filth and the condition of the room. And once at the beach club when there was a lot of yellow goo on the back of the bathroom door, which I have no interesting in knowing its make-up. That could have been an oversight with a pocket door closed. The poly room was just filthy all over.

Goods such as sofas are going to get worn, it is expected. But dirt can be gotten rid of every day.

We don't own DVC, so when we stay at the Poly, we receive daily mousekeeping. DVC does not. Perhaps the rooms would be maintained better if they were cleaned daily instead of just between guests. Just a thought.
That would be nice, but would increase annual dues substantially. It's one of those things you live with if you purchase DVC

We were considering buying at Poly and decided to stay for a few days. Paid cash for room. Checked in Thursday and checked out Monday for marathon weekend and daughters 18th birthday. We’ve always loved the Poly and have stayed there 5 or 6 times. The DVC room was a big disappointment and changed our mind about purchasing there. The room was not clean and the furnishings were stained and badly worn. The pic of the white napkin below is the dirt from the door frame in the single shower bath area. There were black mildew spots on the shower head. Mildew on wall by shower. All of the sink areas looked like they hadn’t been cleaned thoroughly in a long time. Dried paint on towel racks - not a smudge - a lot. Couch and chairs were badly stained and badly snagged. The flowered bed throw was also badly stained and snagged. Dust on headboard and Murphy bed. My husband thought the resort was going to be updated in the next year or 2 and it was just normal wear and tear, so I was initially not going to complain. For $500 a night, I had second thoughts and used the Q-code on our welcome letter to submit feedback. I received a call from on site management almost immediately and they were sympathetic and gave us each 2 fast passes. Is this the norm for Poly now? We are finishing our trip in a regular/non-DVC room at Beach Club and it is just so much cleaner. Like a night and day difference! It is like no one takes any time to look at these rooms or just doesn’t care.
That is really sad. I can't believe the amount of mildew on the wall by the shower and on the showerhead. There is no excuse for that, IMO. There is natural wear and tear, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have to be clean!!! The whole thing is disgusting.
I have always dreamed of staying there, and got the chance to visit when my daughter and family booked there a couple of years ago. I was so excited to see the poly rooms. To say I was disappointed was an understatement. The room was dark, smelled musty, and was extremely worn down. The housekeeping left their food trays on the table for 2 days, so my daughter set them in the hallway. They were where she left them for the whole 7 days, and there were many more outside the rooms. Disgusting. Needless to say, I don't care to ever book a room at the Poly. My infatuation with the Poly has left completely. It was so bad that the grandkids begged to come and stay with us at POR, which they loved!
Sadly I dont' think this is a rare issue, but obviously the management doesn't care.

Yikes! We stayed at poly in 2018 and had a wonderful stay (booked 2 connecting studios). For that stay we did not have any cleanliness issues. We are back this summer, again booked in 2 studios so i will be on the look out for any issues and will promptly bring it to their attention. Not looking for freebies but just the fact of being grossed out with all the mold and mildew growing. That stuff doesn't happen over night. It is a fact of just lack of detailed, through cleaning between guests.

I don't think I could live with that. It's good to know since we were considering...
We own at the Poly and CCV. I love the Poly, I always feel so relaxed there. Any problems we have had with our room have been quickly resolved. So far, we have not experience a cleaning issue but I know others have ☹. Will be there in 5 days....

OMG, my mom is a HUGE germ phobe plus an expert on deep house cleaning, so staying at the Poly is not a chance I'm willing to take with her. She's also extremely hard to please. Her having this room would be the end of all days!!!

I will stick to OKW when treating her and my dad on a trip later in the year, which I can count on with a pretty spotless and recently refurbed studio for them. Eternally grateful for your post, thank you!!!!!

Personally I love the Poly. When we stayed there, and there were no issues. If you encounter one, contact the front desk. If they don't take care of it to your satisfaction take it further. Yes things get worn but there is no excuse for dirt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter