DIS Fit 2020: New Hopes and Goals

I guess I am going to be looking for a new hope and goal.
I had my two scopes ( colonoscopy and endoscope) yesterday afternoon.
Good news is no Cancer,,one small polyp removed, stomach is inflamed so they took a biopsy.
Bad news is our hospitals are all running on overdrive,,,the Emergency surgeries are of course taking priority and everything else is being cancelled. Nurses said they'd never seen so many Flu/pneumonia/virus/Respiratory people.
I see the surgeon next week but when I asked his secretary when she thought a surgery date might open up she said maybe March. (Gallbladder removal). So unless I have another attack (which they did tell me to go straight to ER if this happens) I am stuck waiting.
The antibiotics I just finished from my hospital stay caused oral thrush and yesterday they put a mouth bite guard in before the endoscope and then knocked me out--I literally couldn't talk and had 5 seconds of conscious fear,,, of which I was trying to tell them the guard wasn't in place,,I now have trauma injury to the inside of my lips/mouth,,been sucking on popsicles all day.

Now I know I can't go to Disney in March and have to make all the calls to cancel everything:sad: (flights,resort reservation,,Disney Villains Party which I know is non refundable,just got my Etsy Villains t-shirt too,,,,,,,,,etc....BUT I need something to look forward to so it's time for me to do some rescheduling and plan something new.
I'm always an optimistic soul but the last two weeks has been hard.
I know things will get better.
So come on better days I am ready for you.

Hugs
Mel
I am sorry to hear about this. It sucks that the hospitals are overwhelmed with all the flu strains and other things.
I am rooting for you to get at least some of your tickets refunded properly.
I hope you start to feel better soon!

Mel...Gosh...you sure have had a couple of bad weeks. I'm crossing my fingers you get some pixie dust sprinkled on you over the tickets. I hope your feeling better soon.

((((Hugs))) Mel. Sorry to hear about your health issues and having to cancel your trip. If Disney won't refund, is it something your cc insurance will cover? Or is that just too much hassle? Also, can the Universal AM tickets be upgraded to something that doesn't expire, if someone was going there and could do that for you, in person?

Well a new 2020 Whoville village building and accessory piece just got announced,,,,,and yes I need one.
Back to work tomorrow and I've packed a few healthy snacks to make it through the day,,no coffee and no fat in any of the foods.... but I have done ok this weekend so far.
Hugs Mel
1580082601903.png Whoville Pancake house.I love the walk up window.
1580082730081.png Whoville Pancakes to go.

Last edited:
I am changing jobs tomorrow, same employer but different location and different work. I'm excited about it but also dreading the drive in. And the lack of parking. I am excited to see many old friends, and catch up with them. The job itself is going to be interesting as well, working with some newer people who I get to "mentor and develop" as my new boss put it. I hope kiddo will be agreeable in the morning and let me get to work on time.

At least keto is going well, though I don't think I have done much weight loss yet. The only exercise I did this weekend was the shoveling, and it was a bit heavy! Jackson did help though, which was nice.

I hope everyone had a good week/weekend and is ready to tackle the next week! Can you believe it's almost February?!?

Good luck with the new job @hdrolfe . Hope the day goes smoothly.

Well a new 2020 Whoville village building and accessory piece just got announced,,,,,and yes I need one.
Back to work tomorrow and I've packed a few healthy snacks to make it through the day,,no coffee and no fat in any of the foods.... but I have done ok this weekend so far.
Hugs Mel
View attachment 468623 Whoville Pancake house.I love the walk up window.
View attachment 468628 Whoville Pancakes to go.

Do we need to do an intervention Mel? :P :P

Many Thanks to everyone who suggested calling Disney,,
I just spoke with Richard (Disney Ticketing) and I felt like I received some human compassion and some Pixie Dust!!pixiedust:
I will get a one time full refund of the Villains After Hours Ticket.:)

Hugs Mel

you should go out and buy a disney gift card with the money! put in on your fridge or somewhere you’ll see it often as a nice reminder for plans once you’re back on your feet :)

I am changing jobs tomorrow, same employer but different location and different work. I'm excited about it but also dreading the drive in. And the lack of parking. I am excited to see many old friends, and catch up with them. The job itself is going to be interesting as well, working with some newer people who I get to "mentor and develop" as my new boss put it. I hope kiddo will be agreeable in the morning and let me get to work on time.

At least keto is going well, though I don't think I have done much weight loss yet. The only exercise I did this weekend was the shoveling, and it was a bit heavy! Jackson did help though, which was nice.

I hope everyone had a good week/weekend and is ready to tackle the next week! Can you believe it's almost February?!?

Hi Hon
I hope today went well for you and drive in was not too bad!
Thinking of you!
Hugs
Mel

Hi Hon
I hope today went well for you and drive in was not too bad!
Thinking of you!
Hugs
Mel

Thanks! Drive was worse than it used to be, the one bridge I took is closed for another year so everyone is forced onto one of two routes, added a good 10 minutes to the drive in. I'm exhausted! But I managed to sort out a parking spot, it's about a 10 minute walk from the building but at least it's better than paying daily dates. And he let me start tomorrow instead of waiting until Monday. Now if I could just trust that kiddo will get himself to school on time I'd be able to leave much earlier and avoid the worst of the traffic. Maybe in the spring.

And for the job... only one person from my new team was in and he does different work so has no idea what I'm supposed to be doing! My boss is back Thursday, gonna be a few days of being bored I guess! Oh well.

Doing a quick stop in :wave2:

I can't believe it is already the end of Jan. On one hand it seems to have taken FOREVER to get through Jan...with the deep freeze temps we had in the west...But on the other hand...it did move quickly as I was busy all month. Which actually helped to get through all the cold weather we had.

ON the fitness front...I didn't even get to step foot into the gym. I have been drinking more water, and watching for the most part of what I have been eating. I have lost a few pounds...but nothing to get super excited about.

I'm hoping that I can find time to get my butt into the gym to at least get on the treadmill...and work up some stamina to start some light jogging and maybe more cardio workouts - and loose a few more pounds.

I was finally accepted into a program at our local college here. I was wait listed and didn't think I would be able to attend for this semester. It is an online course...and I'm able to take it part time...so 4 classes this semester, and 4 classes in the September semester - with a month long practicum at the end of it. My goal is to be able to be hired when our new hospital opens - where we are getting many new doctors and departments. But if I have to stay at my current job until I find the right position, I'm ok with that as well.

So I will be busy with working full time...maybe keeping the part time job ( where I don't get many hours maybe 8-10 hrs a week - and that's a good week ) and completing all my class work. Good thing, the boys are a huge help and do what ever is needed around the house, and the hubby pitches in to help with meals, and shopping and a few other things. Plus....this Grammie will still need to go see her little burrito often :lovestruc I'm already missing her so much...and can't wait for our long weekend to go visit again and get those cuddles in while they are still so little and just soooooo squishy!!!!!

Mel...I was sorry to hear about you not being able to do your trip. But at least you got some pixie dust sprinkled on you. That will help soften the blow of not going. AND...now you can plan away for another one :flower:

@hdrolfe congrats on the new job! It is always that uneasy feeling when switching jobs....and that fear of the unknown of how it is all going to go. I hope it all goes well!

Well..I should get back to the pile of papers on my desk that need some attention.
Have a great day every one!!!!!!!

February. I'm about to turn 45, which reminds me that in 10 year I "could" retire, except of course I won't really be able to. I love my travel too much :) And Disney costs too much! Another 4 years after that I think I get a full pension so likely I'd work until then. The thing to so is apparently retire and then get hired back as a consultant, but I think the tax implications would be a bit much at that point. I'm not positive how it works and should probably take the course they offer on retirement. I am partly enjoying my new position, but the manager feels a bit behind, like he doesn't really know what anyone does or how things are supposed to work. I find it remarkable who the organization will promote simply because they speak two languages. And wish I spoke French as well. I have been getting more steps in since the office is about a 10 minute walk from where I was able to get parking, so back and forth to that is a good few steps, even going to get coffee is a few steps now.

I fell off the keto train due to some poor planning on my part. And will be getting back on after my birthday. I haven't been doing too badly, but for sure the pizza we had for supper tonight was not a good idea.

Looks like more snow is on the way, I guess I can't complain too much, it was above 0 for a few days, but I do not like shoveling! I am hoping next winter I won't have to, either I will have moved and the driveway will be smaller or taken care of, or I will hire someone.

And kiddo has been having trouble (again) at school and fighting. He got in trouble for things he says weren't his fault. I called and talked to the principal, also explaining that keeping him in for recess doesn't really do anything except escalate how he feels and make things worse for everyone, he NEEDS to run around. They apparently played some timed game and were trying to beat the principal's record so he did get some exercise. They throw the excuse that someone is going to get hurt, yet when Jackson was pushed, fell and hit his head, they waited 3 hours to call me to come and get him. So I am not really buying it. I also said I was considering switching him to a bigger school, more kids, more choice of friends, perhaps a better fit for him. There are only 18 or so boys in his class, so not a lot of choices. Principal recommended if I do that to wait until September so it's a fresh start to the school year. So now I'm considering different places to move to. I guess we'll see what happens! We don't have to move, we can stay where we are for at least another year, so maybe that will be what happens.

I hope everyone is doing well. @bababear_50 I hope your gallbladder issues are bearable until surgery and you are busy working on planning a new trip.

Hi Heather
I am sorry Jackson is having such a rough time at school. Yes sometimes making a school change does help and also I think Sept would provide an easier transition for him if you do decide to go that route.
I am not sure if he has any special diagnosis/needs,, but quite a few of my guys/gals without a diagnosis need all the physical play they can get,,many of them have ADD/ ADHD,,,and I just drag them along with my group, as special gym helpers,,they get to be leaders/supervisors while getting a lot of energy out. (LLC) Lunchtime Lego club is a favorite among them and it provides a great way for them to learn new skills socializing with their peers.

We also offer many lunchtime clubs to meet many of the kids needs. Many of our kids have now joined after school sports activities which has had a positive change for them. We also have a cross country team that many of them love,,and one of them now attends her mom's gym 2 nights a week.

It's tough being a single/solo parent so take time for you also.
I started attending pre retirement classes about 15 years ago and the truth be told I still don't understand half of what they said but I did come away feeling a bit more knowledgeable.

I am trying to plan out a new trip but keep second guessing myself,,I think two cancelled trip does that to you.
The gallbladder is doing fine on a limited diet and NO fat. So I am swimming instead of sinking right now.

Hugs To You
Mel

Thanks Mel. He has ADHD, Anxiety and ODD, or so the psych-ed evaluation tells me from last year. He refuses to see a psychologist and I am reluctant to use meds. I don't see the ADHD so much at home, except for his addiction to screens and YouTube. I wish the school would actually listen though, he gets very upset and worried about so much and just reacts, lashes out. But if they would handle things better it would help. He did try out for the badminton team (didn't make it, very upsetting) and just this week the tchoukball team. He is very hopeful that he is going to make the team, now wants to try out for all the teams. If he doesn't make it he will be crushed. The anxiety leads to very low self-esteem and nothing I do or say seems to help that. Any way! I just take it day by day, moment by moment. Everyday is different.

I'm glad you are finding a way to deal with the gallbladder problem, I'm sure it will be great to get the surgery done and recovery over with. Then you can pick a new date for your trip, I am sorry you've had to cancel twice, but I know you will get there soon and be able to really enjoy it all.

i’m chugging away on the fitness train. the last 2-3 months have been rough. i’ve been dealing with all kinds of sickness and injury and other body-related struggles, but i’m finally on the mend and feeling back to myself again.

when i was struggling, i did very little cooking (thank goodness for a wonderful MIL who did our grocery shopping and brought weeks worth of meals!). i’m finally back to it, and finding the fun again. but...my trusty slow cooker cracked! i usually make at least one soup a week through the winter. i did research to decide on my replacement, and i’m officially on team instant pot!

i feel like some of you use instant pots pretty regularly. so...hit me with your favourite meals/recipes/uses!! so far i’ve made chana masala, stew, chicken carnitas, and hard boiled eggs (not a recipe, but everyone raves about IP eggs).

OMG ... i absolutely LOVE my instant pot!!So much that i bought an extra inner pot so i can make one thing, pull the pot out, plunk the other one in and fire it up again!

Mac & cheese is hubby's fav and mine for how fast and easy it is to get dinner on the table AND end up with at least 4 more servings to put in the freezer for him.

Rissotto & polenta also made frequent appearances, like not having to stand over a pot of boiling lava (aka polenta :P )

Hubby loves chicken -- easy-peasy, fill the pot up with about 5 cups of cold water (like out of the fridge cold!) and a ton of salt (like more than you think is needed for anything) and any other spices you like, drop in the chicken pieces, as many as you can fit and have them still almost submerged. Seal the pot and set it for 0 minutes high pressure -- yes ZERO minutes -- let it sit for about 10 minutes (or more if you forget!) release whatever pressure is left. Check the temp of the chicken, if it's properly cooked, great, if not, drop it back in the pot and close the lid for another few minutes. Strain the liquid and POOF you have some amazing broth now as well. Use the chicken for whatever turns your crank!

Right now nothing is functioning *normally* since I've started my elimination diet of five foods:
fish (i don't like)
lard (gross EEW)
tapicoa/cassava flour
glucose (can't find it anywhere that's not made from corn)
and blueberries

Luckily for hubby I also have a vacuum sealer and for the last 7 months I've been cooking double & triple meals and the freezer is full of individual meals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter