Disabilities parade viewing - thoughts on this incident?

Selket

Been there - done that
I had an interesting experience at one of the parade viewings for the MNSSHP in the MK last week so just wondering about your thoughts on this. At the 2nd Halloween parade for the first party of the year, the space in the hub for wheelchairs, etc. was filled to the brim. There were several young ladies with a set of parents who came in and sat down in the front along the rope when the area opened so they were seated there for awhile. The CM's setting up the area asked for those who were seated to be in front and standing to be behind. When the parade was about to start the girls and the family all stood up. Since they were in the front and lined up along the edge and that edge was curved around the hub, they blocked the view of many behind them who couldn't stand. This resulted in much back and forth between them and the people they were blocking - as well as people complaining to cast members. The CM's said they had been asked to move behind others who couldn't stand but refused, etc. so there was nothing they could do. The girl (maybe around 18-20 years old? not sure) with the disability was saying she couldn't sit because of a bowel issue (which to me is fine) - but she was asked to have the rest of her party sit and they refused. Of course people were yelling at her that she was seated until the parade started so why did she have to stand now, etc. They refused to move behind people who were sitting. Many couldn't see very well at all - the little girl next to them kept pushing the girl's purse out of the way to try to see around her (the little girl was 2-3 years old). It was just a giant mess. They were like a human wall - lol .

I've never seen this happen before when I've used that area for a parade that people in the front stood in front of those in wheelchairs and scooters or others seated. Do they usually let in so many family members/friends? (there were 5-6 of them plus I think a big stroller with sleeping children I assume - never saw the babies). It was painful to watch and frustrating that the CM's couldn't seem to find a way to address the issue. I heard a CM tell people they couldn't do anything but that those sitting there should confront them and ask them to sit...which didn't help the situation any.

My grandmother doesn't have great mobility and my grandfather had Parkinson's, so both were in wheelchairs when we took family trips. This kind of thing happened routinely. People would honestly walk straight into the wheelchairs, stand up in front during shows and parades, cut in front, etc. I don't mind the bigger groups accompanying wheelchair users (we had six in ours all the time) but you'd think those accompanying a wheelchair user would be more empathetic. Unfortunately that's not always so. People have very little respect and empathy for the disabled, and it's so upsetting. The one bright spot is that CMs were always so kind and accommodating, especially when people were rude or otherwise awful. It sounds, unfortunately, like these CMs maybe hadn't been properly trained on how to handle the situation.

I do a lot of disability advocacy and what happens in the part is just a reflection of how disabled people are treated in real life all the time. It's just so jarring to experience it in the most magical place on Earth. And worse, from people that appear to be accompanying a disabled guest!

Consider writing in? Perhaps some extra training is in order so CMs better handle these situations.

(Also... Why stand? The only reason I stand during parades is because there's nowhere to sit. If I was in the front I'd happily keep my butt parked and rest my feet!)

We had a very similar situation at the Main Street Electrical Parade when I was there years ago. The wheelchair area was so crowded. every group was told that each wheelchair could only have one person standing behind and one sitting in front, and anyone else in the group would have to go watch the parade outside the wheelchair enclosure. There was one group of about six who just pushed their way in. Several cast members came along, explained the situation, and tried to get them to move, but they just kept refusing. Even a manager had no luck. What ticked me off is that the manager finished up by apologizing to them - not to the people they were blocking or crowding out, but to them - and bringing bags of free candy to the kids in the group. Sometimes the squeaky wheels get the grease, I guess.

Différent perspective on this....

It’s possible the CMs might not have addressed this because they are being taught not to. About a year ago, we were at OKW and a couple of young teens were riding around together on an ECV at high speed and going down the middle of sidewalks.
We asked a CM if he could talk to them and he said the ‘average CMs’ had been told to contact their supervisor or security for issues with guests. He said the reason was that some guests are becoming more belligerent when confronted and are better handled by people with security training and backup.
He said since it’s not always possible to know who will get unruly, they were told to call a Security.

I saw that play out with a guest who was smoking in the doorway of a shop at Hollywood Studio. Another guest asked him to please move; he said that he had a right to smoke wherever he wanted. A CM from the shop asked him to move. That just made him louder. When Security came, he got even louder and blocked the door more. More Security came and they took him away.

(I don’t know why my iPad keyboard keeps adding French letters in. I’ve got a French keyboard installed, but it should not be autocorrecting my words unless I typing in French. It’s especially annoying when it tells me a perfectly spelling English word is spelled incorrectly and auto-corrects to a French one.
So, if any of my posts look a little weird, that’s why.)

It’s possible the CMs might not have addressed this because they are being taught not to. About a year ago, we were at OKW and a couple of young teens were riding around together on an ECV at high speed and going down the middle of sidewalks.
We asked a CM if he could talk to them and he said the ‘average CMs’ had been told to contact their supervisor or security for issues with guests. He said the reason was that some guests are becoming more belligerent when confronted and are better handled by people with security training and backup.
He said since it’s not always possible to know who will get unruly, they were told to call a Security.

I saw that play out with a guest who was smoking in the doorway of a shop at Hollywood Studio. Another guest asked him to please move; he said that he had a right to smoke wherever he wanted. A CM from the shop asked him to move. That just made him louder. When Security came, he got even louder and blocked the door more. More Security came and they took him away.

(I don’t know why my iPad keyboard keeps adding French letters in. I’ve got a French keyboard installed, but it should not be autocorrecting my words unless I typing in French. It’s especially annoying when it tells me a perfectly spelling English word is spelled incorrectly and auto-corrects to a French one.
So, if any of my posts look a little weird, that’s why.)

I get why they have that policy but I'm also wondering how long before this ends up with the person doing stupid things like the ECV getting hurt because they can't interfere anymore.

Double-check and make sure your iPad didn't somehow get set to the French keyboard settings. I had that with mine, US keyboard with UK settings. Took a while to trouble shoot and fix but I eventually pulled it off.

My takeaway from this is: Call for security. Do not pass go, do not collect a Mickey bar. Ask a CM directly and clearly to call for Security to resolve a situation with an abusive Guest. Don't engage the other Guest, just get Security involved.

I am sick-to-death-tired of Disney not enforcing their rules, and letting people get away with this kind of behavior. If I behave like a mature, grown adult in a responsible fashion, so should anyone else who has the coin to pay the gate. I'm tired of being bullied and disrespected and treated like I am some kind of nuisance because I have to use a mobility device by other Guests.

So, next time, call for Security. Do not pass go, do not collect a Mickey bar. Ask a CM directly and clearly to call for Security to resolve a situation with an abusive Guest.

mammabunny you are Exactly right.
Imho, the CMS did not handle OP’s situation well at all. And someone mentioned that perhaps a standing person behind and a seated ahead of device with others outside that area, might also work?? Not sure how I feel about splitting up a family/group.
I just think this entire ME centric atmosphere we live in is Exhausting for everyone. Can’t people be Kind and Considerate, goodness.. it’s Disney folks :(
Sorry this happened to u OP.

Honestly, I’m not surprised. So many people treat disabled people are a nuisance, or as if the small accommodations we get are taking something away from them. You see it everywhere, including on this site, and I find it repugnant.

It sounds to me like the able-bodied family members like the “perks” of having a wheelchair user with them, and had no interest in why these accommodations are actually in place. For some reason, everything at Disney has become a zero sum game and we are all in competition with one another. So me using the wheelchair entrance to Big Thunder Mountain is seen as actively taking away a place from someone else, with no thought for why I might have to use it, how it takes me three times as long as someone else to get to that part of the park, or the fact that this is how many of us have to live every single day.

TL;DR Many people are selfish, and courtesy or basic humanity towards people with disabilities is out of fashion. It’s all about ME, and “I want”.

Thanks for all the perspectives. It was the first time that's happened to me but I haven't used an ECV that long nor watch parades much. Just to clarify - the person with the disability - from what I gather - was one of the young ladies in the group. She had a "bowel disorder" and said she couldn't sit (although she had been sitting earlier). Her family and friends all stood up with her when the parade started (before the horseman rode down for the MNSSHP parade). So there wasn't anyone in her group in a wheelchair. I thought one big point of that space was to allow many who need to remain seated to see the parade. I can also see someone with a bowel issue who needs to stand (runs to the bathroom or whatever and comes back) but I wouldn't expect them to stand in the front. I think she and her family got super nasty and defensive because they thought people were upset that no one seemed disabled - which isn't the case - people were upset they were standing in front of everyone in chairs/scooters. I totally don't mind or care or want to know about someone's disability. I wouldn't have minded had the one girl stood in front either - just without her entire big family/friends group with her!

If someone had requested that security come - well - would security have asked them to move? They are standing there - yelling back at people yelling at them asking them to move or to sit but otherwise that's it. Seems like the CM's should have called security if they were asked to move and would not. I just feel like the security officer is going to say they have a right to stand wherever they want if it's behind the rope! I also thought it odd that the CM asked US to engage the family because they had done all they could do and the family wouldn't move.

This entire thread makes me so upset for so many reasons:

1. The lack of empathy and respect by the group for those who couldn't see around them
2. The general lack of empathy and respect from able-bodied people
3. The general lack of empathy and respect from most people these days in situations where patience is required to deal with discomfort (it's hot, crowded, expensive - we're all in the same boat.)

I am super tall and pretty broad so I try to be aware of others who might not be able to see around me, especially at places like Disney where there are people using mobility devices, or little kids. Also while walking (I'm a NYer so by nature I walk pretty fast and am adept at maneuvering around large crowds of people moving slower than me). I really wish more people treated others the way they'd want to be treated, some people are just in need of a humbling experience to teach them how to behave.

I tell you, reading this stuff just burns me up.

In November, I am going to the first MVMCP of the season, so it's sure to be sold out.

I have two guests in our group of 12 that are on ECVs and *cannot* stand. They are both in the 80 y/o age bracket, one with knee issues and one with a pretty significant ankle issue. Yes, they can walk but nothing prolonged and certainly no standing which can sometimes be harder on you than walking.

We've paid a LOT of money for our entire group to go to this ticketed event. I only expect that one or two of us will be able to accompany the ECVs in the parade viewing section for them. Again, they will have paid over $100 to view a parade and if they cannot because of someone else NOT following the rules and a CM doesn't help, I will be be livid and I will be requesting a full refund of the ticket for the ECV users (not all of us). Now maybe I'm naive thinking they'd do anything, but I will be furious.

My takeaway from this is: Call for security. Do not pass go, do not collect a Mickey bar. Ask a CM directly and clearly to call for Security to resolve a situation with an abusive Guest. Don't engage the other Guest, just get Security involved.

I am sick-to-death-tired of Disney not enforcing their rules, and letting people get away with this kind of behavior. If I behave like a mature, grown adult in a responsible fashion, so should anyone else who has the coin to pay the gate. I'm tired of being bullied and disrespected and treated like I am some kind of nuisance because I have to use a mobility device by other Guests.

So, next time, call for Security. Do not pass go, do not collect a Mickey bar. Ask a CM directly and clearly to call for Security to resolve a situation with an abusive Guest.
👍👍Exactly!!

The people who were complaining about them the loudest, a manager came over and told them there was nothing he could do but he offered to move them to a "better" spot (the complainers). He was snotty about it too. The "complainers" took him up on the offer. I wish he had come back to move us all to a "better" spot - lol! I also saw him apologizing to the standing group telling them they didn't have to move. I guess I need to get people's names when I see this sort of thing happening. Someone needs to have a discussion with this manager to see why he did what he did leaving most of us only able to see what was directly in front of us or up high or the parade from the back.

Amusingly since it was the first MNSSHP it was also media night so many You Tubers video'd that parade and they were directly across from us. You can see that whole group of standing people. No one ended up behind them (unless they could stand). Everyone else bunched over to the right of them (or left if you're looking at them head on). I just wish I could convey what a cluster it was. Disney was lucky a fight didn't break out with some of those families and that group.

Is there an email you suggest I use to send Disney a complaint about this issue? I can also include a clip of someone's YT video so they can see for themselves.

I think what the people did is terrible.
Disney is in a bad position ... Security is called ... the people are made to move ... video is all over social media Family kicked out of handicapped viewing area.

So out of curiosity - what does one need to do or show to be allowed in that area? I have always thought of it as a place for people in wheelchairs/scooters/electric chairs to park and be able to see the parade. Since Disney doesn't issue paper cards for the DAS - do CM's scan a magic band for those with hidden disabilities to be allowed to use that area?

I think the best solution would have been to move that family to whatever the "better viewing" area was that the manager moved one group to. Of course they refused to move or to sit. I truly don't think security would have helped in this situation because I'm not sure it's a Disney rule that people in the front should sit or be lower than people standing.

So out of curiosity - what does one need to do or show to be allowed in that area? I have always thought of it as a place for people in wheelchairs/scooters/electric chairs to park and be able to see the parade. Since Disney doesn't issue paper cards for the DAS - do CM's scan a magic band for those with hidden disabilities to be allowed to use that area?

I think the best solution would have been to move that family to whatever the "better viewing" area was that the manager moved one group to. Of course they refused to move or to sit. I truly don't think security would have helped in this situation because I'm not sure it's a Disney rule that people in the front should sit or be lower than people standing.

I’m more experienced with DL and their parades so I might be entirely wrong here. But at least out west they don’t check in my experience. Before I started using my rollator I was on the invisible end of the spectrum and I really don’t remember being asked to check for a DAS. And I don’t recall them asking for DAS when I’ve been in their parade area. But its also been a few years since I started using the walker so I might be wrong.

From my understanding you need a mobility device to use the area the DAS dose nothing for a spot although I have heard sometimes CM will let someone in with a non mobility disability I have also seen people with one person in a wheel ECV and two people with them one person will sit in front of the mobility device and one person stands behind it. This lets every one see

Why they let 6 people in with no one in a mobility device is. Beyond Me. I know I have been let in the back of the parade one a few times when there was some extra room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter