Disability and tickets

If OP were to stay at a Disney resort and get a package with room and tickets, they would be valid for any day of her stay.

Yes, I forgot about this! Onsite package tickets are good for length of stay, overriding the typical use-window. This may be OP’s best option for tickets, combined with some other suggestions for crowds and touring. Thank you.

Ok, first off, can I just say that you guys (except maybe Hoodie) are being unfairly harsh to the OP, they are new and what kind of impression are you making on them?

Secondly, I think the OP is very fair in asking IF it can be done, as it does indeed seem unfair to make those with disabilities pay more simply because they don't have the ability to do what others can. For me personally, we are getting an AP on this trip because we are going long enough that the DVC discount made it about the same price as buying tickets with memory maker, but that isn't going to be the case for everyone.

Now, to actually answer the OP's question:
I would recommend calling Disney directly and asking if something can be accommodated under the circumstances, but do be aware that if they do accommodate you, they could indeed require proof of disability in this case, as there is a monetary value to this accommodation, similar to how getting reduced fair on public transit requires proof because there is a monetary value. If they do offer accommodations via the phone call, be sure to get a confirmation number, if they can't help you by phone, write them via email, because I can guarantee you that you are not the only person to face this very issue and there are far more that won't be willing to speak up about this issue.
Thank you. I don’t feel that it’s unreasonable to ask for the extended time to use the ticket. But apparently others do. Not sure I’ll post again after some of these responses though. I already feel like a burden I don’t need such negativity for just asking about a simple extension of a few days so I can enjoy Disney with my preschooler.

Thank you. I don’t feel that it’s unreasonable to ask for the extended time to use the ticket. But apparently others do. Not sure I’ll post again after some of these responses though. I already feel like a burden I don’t need such negativity for just asking about a simple extension of a few days so I can enjoy Disney with my preschooler.

I’m sorry that you don’t like the answers, but you’ve been shown a number of way to meet your needs, both financial and time, without asking for unreasonably special treatment.

Thank you. I don’t feel that it’s unreasonable to ask for the extended time to use the ticket. But apparently others do.
It's not unreasonable to ask, but posters are trying to warn that it's unreasonable to expect AND, as @lanejudy has requested several times, provide other options. Let me see if I can recap.
  • Pass on the hopper option.
  • Purchase three each single day tickets (either in advance if you know which three days, or night before/day of if you want to wait and see if it's a "good" day or not).
  • Book a package, those tickets will be good for the length of your stay.
  • Buy a four day pass because it's valid over a longer number of days.
  • Pay for the more flexible ticket.
  • Wait to travel until these options are within budget.
  • Attend special events: DAH, MNSSHP. etc., instead of/in addition to regular park visits.

Last edited:
It’s not unreasonable to ask, but the majority of posters were trying to give helpful suggestions since it was unlikely to be a request that would be granted. We obviously don’t know what Disney would respond, but extra days is not something that would fall under/be required under the ADA (despite one poster’s insistance).

Most of the posters were honestly trying to be helpful and make sure your plans were made based on realistic expectations. We’ve seen too many times where people have planned on getting xxxx accommodation and didn’t get it; we just want to make sure that all the “eggs” are not in the basket of expecting something you may not get.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

Not sure I’ll post again after some of these responses though. I already feel like a burden I don’t need such negativity for just asking about a simple extension of a few days so I can enjoy Disney with my preschooler.

Please don't let an overzealous poster scare you off. We have a great group of folks here who know the parks inside and out. They can offer suggestions and helpful tips for pretty much anything. You asked a good question; unfortunately you didn't get the responses you had hoped. Nobody here can guarantee that WDW would extend a ticket if you requested such, and unfortunately there is no guarantee that anything you are told over the phone will be done at the parks, either. Rather than allowing you to expect that and possibly be disappointed once you are there, folks are trying to offer alternatives that we know are allowed and will work. Pretty much everyone here either has a disability or travels with someone who has a disability.

I hope you and your daughter have a wonderful vacation!

In unique situations, our Guest Relations staff will discuss special accommodations for persons who are concerned DAS doesn’t meet their needs (e.g., those whose disability limits the duration of their visit to the park or limits their choice of attractions).

Above is from the Disney website. OP, you definitely should ask for accommodation for your situation. Disney will assess and give you a yes or no. simple as that. if they refuse, you can go with one of the helpful suggestions some of the other posters have given. And if they accommodate you, great!

From personal experience, I find that the CMs at Disney are much more accommodating to "step outside the box" than many of the posters here believe. I'll just leave it at that.

Have a wonderful trip!

In unique situations, our Guest Relations staff will discuss special accommodations for persons who are concerned DAS doesn’t meet their needs (e.g., those whose disability limits the duration of their visit to the park or limits their choice of attractions).

Above is from the Disney website. OP, you definitely should ask for accommodation for your situation. Disney will assess and give you a yes or no. simple as that. if they refuse, you can go with one of the helpful suggestions some of the other posters have given. And if they accommodate you, great!

From personal experience, I find that the CMs at Disney are much more accommodating to "step outside the box" than many of the posters here believe. I'll just leave it at that.

Have a wonderful trip!
I do not think any of us have said there is no way that they might let the OP have more days we have said it is unlikly that the OP will be given more days.

With this said I to find the CM at the park to be very helpful and go out of there ways most of the time. It is when you expect something to happen that can backfire on you and this is what most are concerned about ( I hope I worded this right) that what if the CM does not ( for whatever reason) give the OP extra days and they have bought ticket and then been told oh no this cannot be done then what. there is no law that says if you have XYZ disability then you need to have more days in between park days, There is no way to tell if the CM can even add more time between days ( as people have said phone CM often times do not really know how things work so even if you got one saying they can do this I would be a little doubtful it really could be done)

OP like others have said we all either have a disability our self or someone in our family does too most of us go to Disney a few times a year ( some live close by) we would like to tell everyone that comes to this form oh yes Disney will do that for your disability but at the most visited theme park in the word ( MK) and I am not sure where the other 3 parks rank it is up there I am sure. Disney has to say not something they just can not accommodate the way we would like our disability accommodated we have to find way to accommodate our self, and yes this can sometimes be spending more money not doing everything the average person can do life it not fair and sometimes the answer is no sometimes it is yes

If you feel like you would like to take your concern up the command of change by all mans do But if it is the phone CM just keep in the back of your mind when you get to the parks sometimes the CMdo not know what you are talking about when you say I talked to a phone CM here is the file number they gave me ( had this happen a few times and also people I know) so if you feel like something one of use suggest on her might work better.

I ( and I think I say all of us here) do want you to have a great time but also have a realistic idea of what accommodation you can have or what the CM are more lilkey to be able to do for you.

I do not think any of us have said there is no way that they might let the OP have more days we have said it is unlikly that the OP will be given more days.

Not sure about you, but some have said it's unreasonable for her to even ask about. I think one person used the word demand, when the OP NEVER said she was going to demand anything.

I agree with most of what you said, gap (as I do most times). You are usually very kind and helpful to anyone asking questions. However, that is not true for some on these boards, and I can see why the OP feels like she may not want to ask any more questions.

OP, I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Not sure about you, but some have said it's unreasonable for her to even ask about. I think one person used the word demand, when the OP NEVER said she was going to demand anything.

I agree with most of what you said, gap (as I do most times). You are usually very kind and helpful to anyone asking questions. However, that is not true for some on these boards, and I can see why the OP feels like she may not want to ask any more questions.

OP, I hope you have a wonderful trip!

I think some are more upfront and seem harsh. Just as some ( raising my hand here) have a hard time putting what they want to say on paper ( or a form) and it can come across as rude or what not, but knowing most of you I
Can say that most people on this form what people to have a good time some say thing better then other since the OP is new I can see how they might think some are being harsh or rude

Last edited:
Absolutely, the OP never said that. I think it's unreasonable, though, to cite and criticize a single parenthetical word used by someone whose abilities put them in the same needing-days-between position that the OP describes.

Absolutely, the OP never said that. I think it's unreasonable, though, to cite and criticize a single parenthetical word used by someone whose abilities put them in the same needing-days-between position that the OP describes.

read the whole post then. after all, its her NSHO. lol!

Same here, I think it’s an unreasonable request, because there are many people who need the same flexibility that the OP needs, but they pay for it.

I’m still trying to figure out how this is any different than crying discrimination because Disney charges for wheelchair/ECV rentals.

The OP has been given multiple options for meeting her needs while spending very little extra money. I sincerely hope that she considers those rather than counting on Disney providing something to her for free that everyone else has to pay for, as this is not an accommodation.

And yes, I’m one of the very upfront people that will say what I think.

OP, you are asking for Pixie Dust.

What many of us have learned is that when you *ask* for Pixie Dust, it often does not materialize. Pixie Dust at WDW is special, because it is unexpected, and is given by a CM to a Guest without being asked. Pixie Dust is never intended to set policy or precedent - it is instead simply a beautiful moment in time when a CM can make a Guest's day a bit nicer, or easier, or happier. That's all.

Just be prepared, when you make your request, that it could be turned down. I'm not trying to be mean, or hateful - I promise! - but the worst thing we could do to you is set the expectation that you will get something that is not ordinarily given simply because you are disabled and asked for it. I think it would be mean to tell you that you should ask for something that (the group as a whole) realizes may not happen. You might feel like your trip was ruined, and you will have spent a great deal of money, and won't be able to enjoy Disney World as you need to. That's not what any of us want for you!

That's why so many people here are trying to set a clear, reasonable expectation for you.

WDW is actually usually pretty transparent and (relatively) consistent when it comes to how they handle disabilities. Anyone who has a mobility related disability, for example, (which for Disney includes difficulty standing or walking, or the need to sit down) is served by using a mobility device. The Guest is left to decide what type of device is best suited to their situation, and is free to obtain that device either by renting from Disney, renting from an outside vendor, or by bringing their own device. The device could be a wheelchair, a scooter (or as Disney calls them, an ECV) or for a child, a stroller with a special "stroller as a wheelchair" tag.

The DAS is meant to serve the needs of (most) other types of disabilities that can't be addressed by a mobility device. Basically, the DAS allows the Guest to wait in a "virtual" line, outside of the standard queue in cases where waiting in line is not do-able, but not related to the inability to stand, or the need to sit. For many people, the DAS provides the best possible experience, because they can still be "in line" for something, but don't have to experience the line which may prove problematic for other reasons. (For example, a DAS may be appropriate for your daughter - and there is lots of information around here about that topic)

Those are the two primary ways that Disney handles disabilities. As far as ADA compliance goes, Disney has lawyers who make sure that they are already compliant with the law in how they handle disabled Guests on a day-to-day basis. Just because we are disabled does not mean that we get to have the accommodations that we *want*. If that were the case, then Disney World would have to be open all night, every night that I visit, because I am allergic to the sun. Instead, I have to plan my hours in the Parks carefully: I go for a few hours in the morning covered in sunscreen and sun-blocking fabrics, and then back to the Resort for lunch, and perhaps a nap, or relaxing by reading, or playing on my iPad. Once the sun reaches a certain point, I can return again to the Parks, and continue my fun with more sunscreen. Disney is not obligated to give me special accommodations because I can't be in the sun. Disney is obligated - by law - to give everyone equal access. How you use that access as a disabled person is up to you.

Remember that you can use First Aid in the Parks (as others have said here) to help extend your time - and the quality of your time - in the Parks.

Consider purchasing your tickets differently, so that they can be used as you need to use them. I agree with others here that have advised dropping the Park Hoppers.

And maybe consider changing your plans for this trip; perhaps concentrate on 2 Parks instead of trying to go to all 4. Focus on what you *can* do - not what you can't do, and enjoy your time with your loved ones. Remember that there are TONS of things to do at WDW that are outside the Parks, and free, or less expensive, and low-stress as well (like riding the Monorail, or visiting other Resorts - and their smashed penny machines! or going to Disney Springs and enjoying some of the street performers there with live music, and riding the water taxis).

I truly hope you all find a way to have the best possible trip. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!