Disabled and wheelchair request at MCO?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Has anyone gone solo to WDW and needed a wheelchair at the airport? Pre-disability, I used to love my solo trips. Now I think I could handle it all except-how do I get around at the airport? At other airports I just request wheelchair assistance from airline, but at MCO how far could they take me? I mean, could they bring me all the way to DME? Once there, I can walk through the lines and onto the bus. It's just that the airport is so huge! Then, when I return on DME, would I have to make my way (with my cane) to the airline check-in counter to get wheelchair assistance to the gate? Has anyone successfully done this? I guess my return trip is my biggest concern-how do I get from DME drop off to the gate?

You would contact your airline and, yes, they can take you all the way to DME.

For the return, contact your airline again. Also, let your DME driver know. They can't get a skycap for you, but can contact the DME CMs at the airport who can help you - at least that has been our experience

You would contact your airline and, yes, they can take you all the way to DME.

For the return, contact your airline again. Also, let your DME driver know. They can't get a skycap for you, but can contact the DME CMs at the airport who can help you - at least that has been our experience

Thanks so much! You've given me the confidence that a solo trip sounds doable for me!

The airline will ask you if you need it just to the gate, or all the way to your seat on the plane. Also, although you request through the airline, the airport actually contracts the service. You will typically get into a faster security line, but there will be a slight delay as the chair is processed and you usually have to stand for that swipe down. It is expected to give a tip to the attendant. I had to use the service last year when I injured myself on a tour and needed help getting through Newark airport to a connecting flight.

This sounds like something I could use on my next visit. What is the usual amount to tip the attendant?

Thanks

I tip depending on the service they give me. If they just take me from gate to gate a couple of $. I've had some that have asked me if I need to use the restroom or if I want to stop and get something to eat, then I give them around $5. If they are helping with my luggage at least $5. I've never used assistance at MCO but will need to on my next trip.

Have to notify the Airline that you will be needing wheelchair assistance. There are company that do that at the airport. They will meet you at baggage get you though TSA and to the waiting area for your flight. Then another group of people will get you to the plane door. Once the plane lands there will be wheelchair and people to get you to DME. You should tip these people if you can

I tipped my skycap $20 at MCO. I flew Southwest, which seems to always be the furthest gate from where you need to go. The poor guy was skinny as a rail and had to push my "Rubenesque" body plus my carryons from the gate all the way to DME. He earned it!!!

I tipped my skycap $20 at MCO. I flew Southwest, which seems to always be the furthest gate from where you need to go. The poor guy was skinny as a rail and had to push my "Rubenesque" body plus my carryons from the gate all the way to DME. He earned it!!!

Thank you! That information is SO well-timed. Turns out that I'll be flying into MCO on Southwest tomorrow. What was supposed to be a drive with DH to WDW suddenly became a solo trip for me due to family illness this weekend. I was hoping the skycap would take me all the way from the gate to DME. Since Southwest looks like it lands in Terminal A, and DME is level 1 in Terminal B, I was unsure of them going that far. Fortunately I called DME and they'll get my luggage as long as I have the baggage tags. It'll be well worth the $20 to me!

Has anyone gone solo to WDW and needed a wheelchair at the airport? Pre-disability, I used to love my solo trips. Now I think I could handle it all except-how do I get around at the airport? At other airports I just request wheelchair assistance from airline, but at MCO how far could they take me? I mean, could they bring me all the way to DME? Once there, I can walk through the lines and onto the bus. It's just that the airport is so huge! Then, when I return on DME, would I have to make my way (with my cane) to the airline check-in counter to get wheelchair assistance to the gate? Has anyone successfully done this? I guess my return trip is my biggest concern-how do I get from DME drop off to the gate?
they had wheelchair waiting at the exit of plane and wheeled me to magic express. Never used it going home but I am sure you can requestone as soon as you go in airport. Magic express drops you off right outside of airport checkin booths where you can request one but I would call your airline a day or 2 before returning home and telling them you will need wheelchair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!