Disabled guests and resort parking fee

We are eternally grateful for the free disabled parking. My DF and I are both retired Army and I have the disabled parking placards from jumping out of planes so much. We really enjoyed visiting different Disney hotels for different shopping and dining experiences, and looking at the Christmas decorations on non-park days (again soon!). We used to be owners at AKV between 2008 and 2012, when we began pool hopping and visiting all the different hotels. It's one of our favorite "free" things to do. When Disney started charging for parking I thought our hotels visit days were over.

When Disney started charging for parking I thought our hotels visit days were over.
Disney charges for overnight parking at the resort at which a guest is paying. Nobody is charged for self-parking when [just] "visiting different Disney hotels for different shopping and dining experiences, and looking at the Christmas decorations on non-park days. "

I'm not clear on the valet aspect.

We're paying $25/nite to park at OKW (non-DVC) next month. DH cannot walk more than a kilometer without severe pain so we have an ECV, but no handicap plate/placard. Would paying a $33 valet charge include my overnite, or will that be a separate fee? TIA :D

I'm not clear on the valet aspect.

We're paying $25/nite to park at OKW (non-DVC) next month. DH cannot walk more than a kilometer without severe pain so we have an ECV, but no handicap plate/placard. Would paying a $33 valet charge include my overnite, or will that be a separate fee? TIA :D

i don’t think OKW has valet parking, it isn’t mentioned on the website.

But if there is valet, that charge overrides the “self-park” overnight fee. You would not be charged both.

Enjoy your vacation!

But if there is valet, that charge overrides the “self-park” overnight fee. You would not be charged both.

Enjoy your vacation!
Thank you, we will :D Good to know about valet. $8 might be worth the upgrade in some cases, especially when we're resort hopping.

It would make sense for OKW not to offer valet because most parking spots are already very convenient.

especially when we're resort hopping.
Just to clarify... there is no charge to self-park for “day visits” at WDW resorts - such as dining, shopping, visiting. The self-park fee is only for overnight parking.

Valet parking to visit a resort is charged, but I believe it’s only once-per-day so keep your receipt if resort hopping to avoid paying again.

Enjoy your vacation!

Enjoy your vacation!
Correct, OKW does not offer valet parking. There is, or can reasonably be expected to be, parking at each OKW guest buIlding.

Correct, OKW does not offer valet parking. There is, or can reasonably be expected to be, parking at each OKW guest buIlding.
The parking at OKW is very convenient to each building and there is a fairly large lot located near Hospitality House (the check in area, main feature pool restaurants and shop). Guests can also use the buses to get around the resort.

People tend to look at the OKW map and number of buildings and think building are much bigger and much farther apart than they actually are.
I thought it might be helpful to get a Google Maps view to see the size of buildings and distance from parking to the building with cars in the picture as perspective.6E5B008B-F25A-4C9B-AD01-EED84DEAF2E9.jpeg8C7E5EFD-ACF1-44AA-9863-C59D81D7A7F1.jpeg

Are disabled guests required to pay the self-parking fee for stays at Disney property hotels? Some have said "yes"; others have said, "no" if the disability placard is presented at the front desk. We are staying at the BWI and are wondering if we will be charged the overnight parking fees or not?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Follow-up question: Do these answers apply to the Swan & Dolphin Resorts? Appreciate the replies!

Swan and Dolphin are on Disney property, but are not owned or managed by Disney.

I fly to WDW. Our state also offers only one printed hangtag on regular paper. They used to issue harder cardboard type placards.

I make a front and back copies of the original placard and place one in a specially made plastic placard protector made to hang on a rearview mirror incase I rent a car. I just fold it in half and cut it to size. I also use a color copier. It looks the same. If anyone asks, I show them the real one that I keep in my wheelchair.

I keep the original placard with me in a ziplock bag and put it in a small thin backpack and place it in my wheelchair bag.

I do this in case I lose the original one.

Ray, for some reason I thought you lived in Houston, thus Texas. If so, this must be fairly new, at least 4 years old. When I got my HA placards, there were 2 plastic ones.
And regarding OKW parking, I didn't think the resort charged anyone a parking fee. And I agree about the Hidden Mickey pool-never noticed that!

Ray, for some reason I thought you lived in Houston, thus Texas. If so, this must be fairly new, at least 4 years old. When I got my HA placards, there were 2 plastic ones.
And regarding OKW parking, I didn't think the resort charged anyone a parking fee. And I agree about the Hidden Mickey pool-never noticed that!
OKW doesn’t charge members a Parking fee - DVC members at all the DVC resorts pay dues, some of which go toward paying for upkeep and other costs for parking lots.

Born and always lived in Atlanta, Georgia.

Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying in a Disney Vacation Club Deluxe Villa at Walt Disney World Resort, Disney's Vero Beach Resort or Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, regardless of whether they use Vacation Points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using Reservation Points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

A Member who chooses not to use Reservation Points for their stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel in accommodation other than a DVC Deluxe Villa will be charged for standard overnight self-parking.

Disney Vacation Club Members who wish to shop, dine or enjoy activities for the day at a Disney Resort hotel are not subject to the overnight self-parking fee. Charges for valet parking will still apply.

Valet Parking is offered at all of the Disney Deluxe Resorts. There is a $33.00 daily fee for using this service. Valet parking is not free for DVC members.

Valet Parking is FREE for the following:

• Tables in Wonderland cardholders with an Advance Dining Reservation at the resort where they are valet parking
  • All guests who have a current handicap license plate/tag
Tipping is appropriate and customary for valet parking.

For Disney Resort hotel reservations made March 21, 2018 and thereafter, standard overnight self-parking will have a fee that will be applied to the guest hotel folio upon check-out. All parking fees include applicable tax and are as follows:

• For reservations made before June 18, 2019 for arrivals in 2019 or 2020:
  • Disney Value Resorts: $13 per night
    Disney Moderate Resorts: $19 per night
    Disney Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $24 per night
  • For reservations made June 18, 2019 and thereafter for arrivals in 2020:
  • Disney Value Resorts: $15 per night
    Disney Moderate Resorts: $20 per night
    Disney Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $25 per night
Complimentary self-parking will remain for the following:

• Guests with disabilities
  • Cast Members staying as guests
  • Guests traveling as part of a group or convention
  • Guests staying at campsites at Fort Wilderness.
  • Guests who wish to dine, shop, enjoy activities, or visit a resort for the day

When driving to Walt Disney World and visiting the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios or Animal Kingdom, you can expect to pay the following Disney World parking fees:

• Preferred parking: car or motorcycle – $45 per day during non-peak seasons; $50 per day during peak seasons
  • Standard parking: car or motorcycle – $25 per day
  • Shuttle, Limo, Camper, Trailer, RV, bus, or Tractor Trailer – $30 per day
With the exception of the Magic Kingdom, all of the Walt Disney World parking is outside the main entrance to the theme park.

At the Magic Kingdom, the lot is located at the Ticket and Transportation Center. Once you park here, you will need to take either the Monorail or the Ferry to the Magic Kingdom.

The Disney World parking lots are HUGE. Fortunately, you aren't expected to start your park visit with a marathon run to the entrance. There are trams that are constantly in use to get you from the lot to the entrance.

Guest Drop-Off - All Parks offer a guest drop-off location. Guests should ask the Cast Member when they go through the Toll Plaza for directions and information.

PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO WHERE YOU PARKED. You don't want to end your day by wandering through a parking lot among a sea of cars that look exactly like yours. (This is especially "fun" if you rented a car and barely remember anything other than what color it is.)

We recommend taking a pic on your cell phone at the end of your row showing the name of the section you're in and the row number - trust us, you'll be glad you did!

Thanks to DISer Denise for the following suggestion:

TIP: If you forget the section that you parked in, let the tram driver know the approximate time that you arrived. Based on that info, they should be able to direct you to the section that you are in.
WATER PARKS - There is no fee when parking at the water parks, but there's also no parking tram. Be prepared to walk if you arrive later and get a spot that's further out.

DISNEY SPRINGS - There is no fee to park here. (Note that there are no buses to the theme parks from this location.)

ESPN WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS - There is no fee for parking here. (Note that there are no buses to the theme parks from this location.)

FREE PARKING AT THE DISNEY THEME PARKS:

• Walt Disney World Resort Guests
  • Annual Passholders

OKW doesn’t charge members a Parking fee - DVC members at all the DVC resorts pay dues, some of which go toward paying for upkeep and other costs for parking lots.

What Sue said.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter