• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disabled rooms at the POFQ

terri01p

DIS Veteran
I was wondering if anyone has stayed at one of the handicapped rooms at the POFQ, could you tell me where they are located and also does anyone have a picture. We're thinking of booking a reservation and don't know if it would be big enough for four adults plus wheelchair. Plus does anyone know if the beds are soft or hard...thanks for your help... also is the cobblestone street to much for a person in a wheelchair ?

Welcome to disABILITIES.
I don't have the answer to your question, but I'm sure someone will answer who does.
I DO know that the fully wheelchair accessible rooms have one king size bed, so 4 people would not fit. They do have alternatives for 4, like having the "King" room connected to a regular 2 bed room. You could also try calling
WDW Resort Special Reservations:
(407) 939-7807
(407) 939-7670 [TTY]
They are the department that handles special needs requests and could answer all your questions.

when we stayed at POR, we needed a room for 5. accessible rooms didn't have the trundle bed (probably because the beds are lower). they didn't charge us for a second connecting room, telling us that we shouldn't be penalized for the fact that we needed an accessible room.

if it's true that all the accessible rooms in POFQ only have one king bed, then i think the best approach might be to book the one room for 4 and ask for it to be accessible (i.e., don't start out by asking for 2 rooms).

FQ was under construction when we were there, so didn't ride on the cobblestones, but i can tell you that there were parts of POR (especially the bridge to ole man island) that were very uncomfortable in a wheelchair.

dj

I haven't stayed at POFQ yet but I did have a reservation there for the end of May that I had to cancel. They do now have wheelchair accessible rooms with 2 double beds. The reservation I had was for one of these rooms. They gave me the option of a room with 2 double beds and either a roll in shower or a tub with handrails. Both of these had a sliding door on the bathroom area.

I would call WDW like Sue suggested and talk to them. They are usually fantastic about answering questions and helping you get just what you need. Have fun on your trip.

Originally posted by BillSears
I haven't stayed at POFQ yet but I did have a reservation there for the end of May that I had to cancel. They do now have wheelchair accessible rooms with 2 double beds. The reservation I had was for one of these rooms. They gave me the option of a room with 2 double beds and either a roll in shower or a tub with handrails. Both of these had a sliding door on the bathroom area.

I would call WDW like Sue suggested and talk to them. They are usually fantastic about answering questions and helping you get just what you need. Have fun on your trip.
Things change with demand, I guess.
That's why it's a good idea to get information from people who can give first hand experience and also call.

Originally posted by terri01p
I was wondering if anyone has stayed at one of the handicapped rooms at the POFQ, could you tell me where they are located and also does anyone have a picture. We're thinking of booking a reservation and don't know if it would be big enough for four adults plus wheelchair.

Hi, Terri01p. I stayed at PO-FQ as an abled person. I fell in love with that resort. I don't have photos of a handicap-accessible room since I did not have one at the time, but I thought I would post a link to my room photos anyway -- click here.

The following year, I spent several months as a disABLED person. Thanks to the kind folks here on the disABILITIES board (they know who they are), I went ahead with my WDW vacation and began it with a stay at PO-RS. I have photos to share of my PO-RS handicap-accessible room -- click here to view them. In that photo album you will find a photo of my wheelchair in the room. Due to my injury, I could not walk at all. I used my wheelchair for everything -- it took me into the room...it took me to my bed...it took me to the bathroom...etc. I was able to maneuver myself around the room okay and had a truly lovely time at PO-RS. I will definitely stay there again (and PO-FQ too).

As to the rest of my vacation, if you'd like to see how my vacation went with my disABILITY, please check out my trip report -- click here. I wrote that trip report because I felt it was important to share with others just how magical a place Walt Disney World could be. I may have spent my entire vacation in a wheelchair, but to me, it honestly felt like Cinderella's Glass Coach. My family’s vacation was magical.

I hope you have a wonderful time in Walt Disney World. If you need to ask me any personal questions, please feel free to PM me. I primarily hang out on the Resorts Board (it's my home away from home).

Hi, Janet!

I've been reading your posts about your experiences navigating Disney in a wheelchair. I'm glad you were able to have a "magic" vacation, despite your problems. I take it your disabilities are due to an injury and you'll recover. At least that's what my hopes and prayers are for you.

I noted you were recently at the POFQ and had a good experience. I have a few questions about POFQ I bet you could answer due to your recent experiences. I've read about the resort having cobblestone streets. How bumpy are they? Is there a sidewalk alternative? I have arthritis and usually walk most places with a cane for support. However, I've had both ankles surgically fused, so its very difficult for me to walk on uneven surfaces. I'm concerned about the "bumpiness" of the POFQ streets. I chose POFQ, after much research, because its the smallest of the moderates. I understand I could get quite frustrated trying to walk around CBR or CSR. At times I do use a wheelchair, depending on how tired I am and how far I have to go. There again, would the cobblestone streets present a problem? Thanks for any insight you can provide. Hope you have a speedy recovery. I admire your spirit--you won't let the disability stop you. I'm coming to realize that most people are as disabled as they make up their minds to be!:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Vhoffman, thank you for your kind words. My injuries were due to an accident and I am definitely well down the road to recovery. I walk now but with a slight limp. However, my limping is getting less and less noticeable (or at least I keep telling myself that!). I still have some pain and numbness in my foot & leg, but am hopeful that one day soon it will dissipate. I am a very lucky girl and have no right to complain (and only do so when I want my husband to rub my leg ;) ).

I was able-bodied while at PO-FQ, but disabled while at PO-RS. If my memory serves me correctly regarding PO-FQ (and I am by no means an expert on the resort), most areas were paved and you should be able to navigate them. I think the cobblestone was primarily used for effect.

As the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. I am going to give you several thousand words worth of what I think you are seeking (I found the following on the World Wide Web)…

PO-FQ # 1
PO-FQ # 2
PO-FQ # 3
PO-FQ # 4
PO-FQ # 5
PO-FQ # 6
PO-FQ # 7
PO-FQ # 8
PO-FQ # 9
PO-FQ # 10
PO-FQ # 11
PO-FQ # 12
PO-FQ # 13
PO-FQ # 14
PO-FQ # 15
PO-FQ # 16
PO-FQ # 17

I hope those photos give you a feeling for the paths and walkways of the resort. After viewing them, I hope they allow you to make an informed decision as to whether or not the resort will suit your physical needs.

No matter what you decide to do, and what resort you decide to stay in, I hope you have a wonderful vacation. I have stayed in 14 of the Disney Resorts so far. There's not a bad one in the bunch, in my humble opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter