disabled seats on small world?

Jennygt

DIS Veteran
My mom has a really bad knee, last trip the seats on small world were really hard for her to get out of, this year no way, is there a higher type seat? She thinks she remembered seeing one? Thanks

she might mot even need to stay in her ECV but the seats would be what she needs, would it be ok to request that boat for the seats if she does not stay in her ecv?

Here’s a picture of the Small World wheelchair boat.
It looks like people are able to walk onto the boat
I don’t know the rules for riding or how many wc boats they have but it won’t hurt to ask if she could use this boat

690958B1-237F-45F3-99B7-3AB189DED5C8.jpeg

she might mot even need to stay in her ECV but the seats would be what she needs, would it be ok to request that boat for the seats if she does not stay in her ecv?
You can ask for it but I think they will give it to people that are staying in wheelchair or ECV first if that the case I would have her stay in her ECV so she could use it then.

Every time I have ridden ,it’s only been me and my husband on the boat. I don’t see any reason why they would not allow someone to sit in one of the seats if the two WC/ ECV slots were taken.

Small World has a boarding area on the usual ‘unload side’ for guests using mobility devices.
Usually, those guests would be directed to enter that area without waiting in the regular line or be given a Return Time for that area (although the regular and Fastpass lines are both accessible to a point).

Guests using ECVs can go all the boarding area with their ECV; the ramped boat is wheelchair accessible, but not ECV accessible. Guests using ECVs can choose to use an attraction wheelchair or transfer to a boat.
You can certainly request to ride the ramp (ADA) boat without a wheelchair. It only has 6 seats, so you won’t all fit if your group is bigger than 6 (it holds six seated guests and one wheelchair).
It may not be as helpful to walk on as you think though; the seats are a slight bit higher than the seats in the regular boat, but not a lot higher and there is not a handrail for walking up and down the ramp. I’d strongly consider using an attraction wheelchair.

My suggestion would be use her ecv down the entrance ramp. Part way down a cast member will direct you to park the ecv. Have her use the ride wheelchair and board the handicap boat. A member of your party will push her back to where ecv was left and when she feels "ready" can move from wheelchair to ecv. I also have bad knees and I don't "panic" trying to step out of boat! It works quite well!

Small World has a boarding area on the usual ‘unload side’ for guests using mobility devices.
Usually, those guests would be directed to enter that area without waiting in the regular line or be given a Return Time for that area (although the regular and Fastpass lines are both accessible to a point).

Guests using ECVs can go all the boarding area with their ECV; the ramped boat is wheelchair accessible, but not ECV accessible. Guests using ECVs can choose to use an attraction wheelchair or transfer to a boat.
You can certainly request to ride the ramp (ADA) boat without a wheelchair. It only has 6 seats, so you won’t all fit if your group is bigger than 6 (it holds six seated guests and one wheelchair).
It may not be as helpful to walk on as you think though; the seats are a slight bit higher than the seats in the regular boat, but not a lot higher and there is not a handrail for walking up and down the ramp. I’d strongly consider using an attraction wheelchair.

@Jennygt I too use an ECV at WDW - and I do exactly what @SueM in MN outlined above: I stay in my ECV and I let any CM I interact with from the attraction entrance all the way to the boat know that I need to transfer to a wheelchair. A CM will direct your Mom where to park her ECV, and then she will sit in the wheelchair provided by the attraction. The good part about sitting in the chair is that she won't have to worry about her knees at all - but she will be higher than everyone else in the boat, so if someone in your group is going to try and shoot video or pictures, make sure they are in one of the two fixed front seats.

Your Mom probably won't want to try Pirates, or Frozen Ever After, or Navi River Journey - like your Mom, I have very bad knees, and if I ever got down into one of *those* boats, I would be making new friends with the Reedy Creek EMS folks who would have to come and lift me back out of the boat! Not only are the seats low, (back when I could ride those, my knees always felt like they were up around my ears LOL) but the steps into and out of those boats might prove troublesome, if she can't do big steps. Those 3 attractions don't have wheelchair accessibility like Small World, Jungle Cruise, Living With The Land, or Gran Fiesta Tour. If she decides she wants to try, she can go through the queue to see if it looks like she could ride; if she decides that ride isn't a good idea for her, she can simply ask any CM where to wait while the group goes ahead and rides.

Let us know if you have any other questions :)

Last time I rode this attraction I remember staying in the ECV until boarding and I did sit in this boat (pictured above) on one of those "taller" seats. My son and I were the only ones in the boat because it was not at all busy and the CM was like "oh this is perfect" cause I must have told her I have bad knees - lol! Indeed it was much better and I had no problems getting in our out. I'm also tall so probably your mom isn't taller than me.

I have two bad knees - both need replacing and sometimes I feel like I can barely walk or get up and down and other days are better. Depending on how your mom is, she may be fine sitting in one of those seats or maybe not. Mamabunny notes that she has trouble with Pirates, Frozen and Navi - I can do those fine for some reason - perhaps because there is stuff to grab onto and pull myself up? I'm not sure...it also depends on how my knees are but I've not had problems. I'm also not fast in getting out. Splash Mountain is probably my biggest problem - it's slippery to get out and low and the CM's are rushing the heck out of you to go go go. I've gotten to the point where I'm afraid to ride that one. It also hurts my knees sitting so low - it's my worst ride overall.

The seats are just as low on the wheelchair boat and my daughter in a wheelchair always layghs at me trying to get up. I would take her scooter down the ramp and transfer to the park wheelchair and ride in that

The seats are just as low on the wheelchair boat and my daughter in a wheelchair always layghs at me trying to get up. I would take her scooter down the ramp and transfer to the park wheelchair and ride in that

The seats felt higher to me but maybe the difference was the individual seat with the higher seat back and more legroom in front of me. It gives me space to lift myself up more using my arms to hold on to the seat back. One thing I've learned about bad knees is YMMV - I even have good and bad days on the same trip. Definitely taking the WC in is the safest if there's any question.

As a funny note - we once got stuck on Small World for at least 45 minutes - maybe an hour before they eventually shut it down and sent CM's out into the water to help us get out. The boat was full and my knees were already sore and it was the regular boat so by the time I had to stand up to get out, my knees were locked and very, very sore. They were really nice about not rushing me - I guess the alternative had I not been able to get up at all would have been more problematic - not sure if they would have been able to assist me by pulling me up, etc. I know we all joke about getting stuck on that ride... probably one of my funniest trip memories!

We were directed down the ramp, they asked if my daughter could transfer. We informed them no, she's a quadriplegic. She remained in her wc. Another guest wanted the wc boat as the thread suggested. For spacing. Thankfully the ride attendants put our daughter on first. They informed the other rider she would have to sit in a Disney wc and wait for the boat if she wanted to do so. She opted not to wait.

My mum broke her back over a year ago now and has difficulty stepping down into the boats etc. In May I just explained this to the CM and they let us use the wheelchair boat without a wheelchair. There wasn't a queue and it wasn't an issue at the time so I think it depends on whether there is anyone waiting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter