Disney ‘adult’ eating off kid menu and stroller parking in Toy story land

elle21

Mouseketeer
Can my ten year old ‘Adult’ order dinner from the children’s menu? We will not have the dining plan. I know he’s not going to want to eat any of the adult entrees at some places (like Sanaa).
And where is the best place to quickly park a stroller when heading to SDD at rope drop?
Thank you!!

IME (we went when our older son was 9 and a year later when he was 10), the only restaurants that asked age were the character meal kind of places. The other restaurants did not ask. We went to Yachtsman and were not going to order a $50 steak for a 10 year old (oh, how I miss those days because now at 13, he always chooses the most expensive entree) and he definitely wanted the kid dessert. It was no problem. In fact, we found that when paying OOP, most places didn't care what we ordered in general.

IME (we went when our older son was 9 and a year later when he was 10), the only restaurants that asked age were the character meal kind of places. The other restaurants did not ask. We went to Yachtsman and were not going to order a $50 steak for a 10 year old (oh, how I miss those days because now at 13, he always chooses the most expensive entree) and he definitely wanted the kid dessert. It was no problem. In fact, we found that when paying OOP, most places didn't care what we ordered in general.
Thank you! This is very helpful and I’m happy to hear he can get something he likes. Yes character meals/buffets obviously we will be paying as an adult. And laughing about choosing the most expensive thing as a teen. I’ve been told my husband did that to his parents growing up. 🤣

My youngest could eat a steak the size of her head by the time she was 5. I don't know where she puts it all but she is definitely a carnivore. LOL My oldest would be happy with a small caesar salad so we would order an adult meal with a side salad for them to split. To the OP, if you are paying OOP, most places really don't care if you order a kids meal. Especially since it is for a child. The issue that we have with the kid's meals is that most of it is the same stuff at every restaurant. And it is the typical American kids junk food. If I was in charge and could do one thing at the parks, it would be to get better food for the kids meals.

Can my ten year old ‘Adult’ order dinner from the children’s menu? We will not have the dining plan. I know he’s not going to want to eat any of the adult entrees at some places (like Sanaa).
And where is the best place to quickly park a stroller when heading to SDD at rope drop?
Thank you!!
A resounding yes. My 12 year daughter was an "adult" on this last trip and she was actually stressed from the fear of looking at our menus for her choices. When we arrived, it was nothing to stress about at all. Every restaurant we ate at let her go wherever she wanted with her meal. Typically how it went down: if she just wanted chicken nuggets like her 9 year old brother, Disney would do so, but double the portion size. Which was unnecessary for her, but we just let them go ahead and do it.

To further drive the point home: at one of the restaurants (I can't recall which now). my wife even ate from the child's menu because she wasn't quite ready to eat but we were. Not an issue there either.

Adults (of any age) can order off of the children’s menu or even split entrees in most locations. Disney is very accommodating when it comes to this. There are a few exceptions such as character meals and signature dining.

I know plenty of adults who eat off kid menus to keep the calories in check. Restaurants should rename kid menus low calorie options.

I know plenty of adults who eat off kid menus to keep the calories in check. Restaurants should rename kid menus low calorie options.

The food on the kid's menus is crap and definitely not low calorie. Now if they gave normal food but smaller portions, that would be a better menu. But mac and cheese and chicken strips have got to be some of the worst food you can eat. A few places have a decent child's menu like Satuli Canteen, but most of them just serve the same stuff. They need to bring back kids meals that are just smaller portions of adult food like it was when I was young.

The food on the kid's menus is crap and definitely not low calorie. Now if they gave normal food but smaller portions, that would be a better menu. But mac and cheese and chicken strips have got to be some of the worst food you can eat. A few places have a decent child's menu like Satuli Canteen, but most of them just serve the same stuff. They need to bring back kids meals that are just smaller portions of adult food like it was when I was young.

I agree that most kid's menus are awful. I'm talking about the restaurants that serve similar items on kids menus that are smaller portions. Disney could definitely do this more often.

I agree that most kid's menus are awful. I'm talking about the restaurants that serve similar items on kids menus that are smaller portions. Disney could definitely do this more often.

I agree, American portions are way too big.

My Mom ordered off the kids menu last fall. At a table service restaurant. She’s in her 60s. They did not care. YMMV.

When they have tried to change up kids meals there has been an uproar. Because little Suzie will only eat "normal" kids food, don't you know??

There is decent kids food out there, but it does take some finding.

When they have tried to change up kids meals there has been an uproar. Because little Suzie will only eat "normal" kids food, don't you know??

I remember the times that they have tried to change over the years. When we started going over 2 decades ago, the kid's meals were much better. Some time in the 2000s parents lost their minds and decided that children where incapable of eating normal food and that all that they could "handle" was the crap that they eat now. What is really sad is that I have heard so many kids say that they want food that is on the adult menu but the parents tell them no, that they have to have that junk. I wonder what people think that kids around the rest of the planet eat. There is nothing different about being born in America that should make a child incapable of eating regular food that is not processed junk. I have no issue with every once in a while eating a nugget, etc. But by the looks of most of the kid's meals, the options are very limited. It should be the opposite, and that you should have to hunt for the mac and cheese and chicken strips instead of the other way around.

Thank you!!
Of course he can. You are not on the dining plan and are paying out of your own pocket, so you can buy whatever you want. I eat kids meals all the time and I am a senior citizen, no problems. I think disney is having a problem with people buying the cheaper kids dp and ordering adult meals? I don't know exactly why they are dong this, but it seems some people have figured out how to work the system and disney is trying to stop it? If you are paying for your own meals, no one has a right to say what you buy. If it is a dp, then it might be different at this time.

Thank you for the feedback and sharing experiences!
Yes most kids menu food is garbage but truthfully most adult ‘American’ food is garbage too. At home our whole family eats a grain free, lactose free, refined sugar free diet...similar to Paleo. We all enjoy going on vacation where we eat “regular” food for a short time (and deal with the consequences for a few days). Though he has a pretty diverse palette for a ten year old, I know he is going to want that chocolate pudding dirt cup at Sanaa, I want to make sure I don’t pay $30 for something he ends up not liking, and after the bread service, I don’t think his stomach will be able to handle an adult portion of food.

Thank you for the feedback and sharing experiences!
Yes most kids menu food is garbage but truthfully most adult ‘American’ food is garbage too. At home our whole family eats a grain free, lactose free, refined sugar free diet...similar to Paleo. We all enjoy going on vacation where we eat “regular” food for a short time (and deal with the consequences for a few days). Though he has a pretty diverse palette for a ten year old, I know he is going to want that chocolate pudding dirt cup at Sanaa, I want to make sure I don’t pay $30 for something he ends up not liking, and after the bread service, I don’t think his stomach will be able to handle an adult portion of food.

I prefer small portion sizes as an adult. I like to keep each meal to roughly 500-600 calories.

This is sad. The alternative is to order off the adult's menu and split.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!