**Disney After Hours - Magic Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

We did Villians on the 8th and enjoyed it. It was busier than I was hoping but we got quite a bit done. Two of us were in the park before the event and two came in at 6:45pm.

Once they got in we did:
Buzz X 2
Laugh Floor (killing time as we had FP for SM)
SM X2 (once pre villians on a FP)
SDMT X 2
Haunted Mansion (went down for at least 5 mins)
gasped at everyone lined up for merchandise!
Splash (trapped on for at least 10mins due to an incident)
BTMR X2
Pirates
Jungle Cruise

We watch the tail end of the castle show and followed Maleficent as she went down main street.

We watched HEA by Gaston's as DD wanted to see it one more time. So that did eat into our time. The incident on Splash also was frustrating. I think we could have done Buzz a couple more times and maybe SDMT once more if we didn't watch HEA.

Our party of four had ice cream bars and popcorn and drinks midway thru and two other had another ice cream since they didn't want to to SM with the overlay. We also grabbed more drinks at the end and took back with us.

The weather was the best part. I don't think I could have stood in line in the heat to do the same amount of rides during the day.

Not sure if I would do the themed one again since the extras really were not spectacular, but I would do an after hours again to do the big rides.

I’m attending After Hours on August 22nd. Is there a separate entrance for After Hours guests to scan their magic bands during the regular park hours? I’m so afraid that if I scan my band it will use a regular park ticket and not the After Hours Ticket. We have 2 park days planned after the event. I also booked 3 fast passes before the event. Do you think using them will make it look like I’m using a regular park ticket? Thanks for your help!

I’m attending After Hours on August 22nd. Is there a separate entrance for After Hours guests to scan their magic bands during the regular park hours? I’m so afraid that if I scan my band it will use a regular park ticket and not the After Hours Ticket. We have 2 park days planned after the event. I also booked 3 fast passes before the event. Do you think using them will make it look like I’m using a regular park ticket? Thanks for your help!
Yes, you’ll see an entrance that says event entrance and there should be someone there with an after hours sign. If you go through that entrance it won’t take any of your regular park tickets.

Yes, you’ll see an entrance that says event entrance and there should be someone there with an after hours sign. If you go through that entrance it won’t take any of your regular park tickets.
I’m not completely sure about this, but I read recently on another thread where this was asked that it isn’t actually true. Someone (I can’t remember who, but I believe it was a poster that I’ve seen around here a lot and always seems knowledgeable, so I would tend to trust more than a random poster I’d never seen) said that all tapstyles are the same, and it’s iust a commonly repeated rumor that if they say event entrance they will prioritize your event tickets differently than the regular entrance tapstyles or that they will only read event tickets. This poster said all tapstyles are identical, and will prioritize tickets the same. So I’m not sure which is correct, I would still make sure your tickets are prioritized correctly if you have other tickets and if you have any reason to be concerned just stop at GS sometime when you see no line and double check. We’ve never had a problem with event tickets, but we have had them take old non expiring tickets over a current expiring ticket, and it was a huge hassle to get that corrected and I don’t like how they corrected it! If you’re worried scan a hard ticket or printout, then I hope it couldn’t mess it up but I’m sure there’s still a way.

I’m not completely sure about this, but I read recently on another thread where this was asked that it isn’t actually true. Someone (I can’t remember who, but I believe it was a poster that I’ve seen around here a lot and always seems knowledgeable, so I would tend to trust more than a random poster I’d never seen) said that all tapstyles are the same, and it’s iust a commonly repeated rumor that if they say event entrance they will prioritize your event tickets differently than the regular entrance tapstyles or that they will only read event tickets. This poster said all tapstyles are identical, and will prioritize tickets the same. So I’m not sure which is correct, I would still make sure your tickets are prioritized correctly if you have other tickets and if you have any reason to be concerned just stop at GS sometime when you see no line and double check. We’ve never had a problem with event tickets, but we have had them take old non expiring tickets over a current expiring ticket, and it was a huge hassle to get that corrected and I don’t like how they corrected it! If you’re worried scan a hard ticket or printout, then I hope it couldn’t mess it up but I’m sure there’s still a way.
When we went last year we went through a normal turnstile and it used one of our day passes. We had to go to guest services at our hotel after because we didn’t realize at the time that it had happened. So from now on we just don’t risk it and always go through the event entrance.

When we went last year we went through a normal turnstile and it used one of our day passes. We had to go to guest services at our hotel after because we didn’t realize at the time that it had happened. So from now on we just don’t risk it and always go through the event entrance.
Yeah, I've always read on here that the event entrances can't take your regular tickets, but when I read that post saying it wasn't true it was news to me and I thought I would mention it. I haven't ever read anything about going through a non event tapstyle and having event tickets used, though, I guess I've never thought to do it. If it's between 4 and 7 for the parties or 7 and 10 for the after hours I guess I would assume that the event ones would take event tickets, and the regular ones regular tickets since they still work in that time frame. So that seems to support event entrances only taking event tickets, so maybe whomever posted that info was wrong. I wish I remember who posted it and on which thread.

I guess it's just easiest to use the event entrance only for the event and watch your tickets regardless.

This is what I’m afraid of. I have an email with a barcode on it so maybe I’ll try and use that instead of our magic bands. Thank you!

This is what I’m afraid of. I have an email with a barcode on it so maybe I’ll try and use that instead of our magic bands. Thank you!
I really wouldn't worry too much about it, TBH, I think if you go through the event entrance you will be fine. There are always anomalous stories of issues, I've had one myself (not related to a hard ticket event), but considering the thousands of people who go and don't have problems it's not a huge risk. But if you have the email you can't go wrong with that.

You can’t miss it !

I saw someone trying to go through the regular turnstiles and It would not allow them to get int but they only had AH tickets .

Attachments

• 26201FD5-0621-444B-965B-685ABDFB6A31.jpeg
    26201FD5-0621-444B-965B-685ABDFB6A31.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 52
  • A580BC6A-7F24-4F3F-803D-09AEBFEB01BC.jpeg
    A580BC6A-7F24-4F3F-803D-09AEBFEB01BC.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 53
Thank you for the pictures! It helps to actually see what I should be looking for. And I love your matching shirts! I actually have very similar ones with the castle and Mickey head for my husband, daughter and I to wear to the event!

We were also there on the 8th and have never received a survey.
I thought it was definitely crowded, but probably about 1/4 of the crowd level during the day. It was just so much easier to walk around though, which is a big plus for me. Not only were there a lot fewer people, but the people that were there seemed to be more "Disney savvy" I guess. People seemed to know where they were going and they were moving with purpose. Every day during regular park hours, we would encounter big groups of people that would just stop in the middle of a walkway trying to figure out where they were, people who were in the FP line even though they either 1) Had no clue what the difference between FP and standby was; 2) did not have a FP for the ride and tried to argue with the CM that they did; 3) had a FP but for much later in the day; or 4) thought they were in line for a ride different than the line they were in. There was none of this during AH and everyone seemed to be having fun. The mood was much more pleasant probably because it was just so much cooler. Also, because it is a late night event, there were a lot fewer people there with small children, so very little screaming, crying or meltdowns (not meaning to hate on any parents, I know it is unavoidable, I have kids too, but it is nice not to listen to a lot of kids having tantrums).

We did the event on our last day, so we had already done all the big rides. During the event we did:

Space - FP
Splash - FP
BTM - FP (during the fireworks which was very cool)
After the event started we did:

Dumbo
Barnstormer twice without having to get off the train
Pooh twice
Pirates (20 minute posted wait, actual wait 7 minutes)
Buzz
Peoplemover
Jungle Cruise
Tomorrowland Speedway
Peter Pan
My kids did Space once in the dark and they did it during the 2nd show. I was having snacks and hanging out near the Cool Ship. The kids waited about 15-20 minutes for the ride. As soon as the 2nd show ended, the area was flooded with people and the line for Space extended to where I was sitting. Also, the snack carts got deluged and those lines quickly became very long too.

We had snacks 3 times and saw Maleficent. We left about 12:45 because were tired and ready to go back to the hotel. We could have gotten much more done if we had been more diligent about it, but I enjoyed the event and was happy with how it went for us.

My son did exactly what you're worried about. We lined up in the special event line where the CM's were holding the AH signs. They scanned our emailed barcorde and then we received 3 admission cards/tickets. My youngest son and myself scanned the cards, but my older son had scanned his magic band to get through the turnstile without my knowledge. He told me later on and I was worried it had used one of our day passes coming up. When I called Disney to check, they assured me it was the AH admission that was scanned from the Magic Band. Not sure if this was because we went through the turnstile for the event or something else, but it worked out fine : )

When I called Disney to check, they assured me it was the AH admission that was scanned from the Magic Band. Not sure if this was because we went through the turnstile for the event or something else, but it worked out fine : )

That is the exact reason it took the correct ticket. If you go thru the designated event entrance, it will take the correct ticket. Those touch points are definitely programmed to take the event ticket. The only time anyone has had a day ticket taken is when they have not used the specified event entrance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts