Disney announces new ticket structure!

Marionnette

Children see magic because they look for it
You kind of had to expect that this was coming. Disney is trying to play this one off as if guests asked for it but I see it as another opportunity to gouge you at the gate. https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-announces-new-ticket-system-for-wdw.3708050/

Looks like it is set to begin Oct. 16, 2018. In a nutshell, ticket prices will be date-dependent with the more popular times to visit becoming more expensive (spring break, Easter, Thansgiving, Christmas. Etc) than less popular times (as if there are any!)

No news on prices yet but you can count on digging deeper into your wallet to see the Mouse.

Another reason to forego Disney in favor of other vacations, like we have in recent years.

I was thinking of a quick trip to Disney sometime next year because DD18 really wanted to go to Epcot again, but this probably seals the deal at only a Disneyland trip, or maybe we'll just skip it altogether. Florida is definitely too much of a pain these days.

Oh, yes, I'm sure that the guests were just clamoring to pay more for holiday times!

Well how else is Disney going to reduce crowds at the park during the Christmas Season? I see the only feasible way to double the price they are charging during that period. Even if they did the parks would probably still hit maximum capacity.

Well how else is Disney going to reduce crowds at the park during the Christmas Season? I see the only feasible way to double the price they are charging during that period. Even if they did the parks would probably still hit maximum capacity.
I agree but I’m not sure the $20 difference (at least that’s what I’ve read) is going to deter very many people.

I sincerely doubt that this was done to spread out attendance so that it evens out throughout the year. People will still crowd the parks during the holidays and school vacations because that's the time that they can go. It's just a way to make more money.

If they were truly interested in controlling crowd size, they would lower their capacity limits for every day. They don't. They could sell an "after 2 PM" or "after 5 PM" ticket or multi-day pass at an attractive price to get people to arrive later. They don't.

The new setup will not allow you to purchase a 4-day ticket and use it over a 14-day period unless you pony up even more money to expand its expiration date. A 4-day ticket will now expire on the 7th day following its first day of use. How does this act to reduce crowds? It doesn't. It just forces guests to buy two higher-priced tickets instead if a cruiser wants to bookend a visit to the parks on either side of sailing. Or for the guest who may stay for two weeks but only visits the parks for 5 of those days.

It doesn't provide flexibility, spread attendance out to slower periods or make vacation planning easier. As a famous television judge is known to say, "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining."

Another reason to forego Disney in favor of other vacations, like we have in recent years.

I was thinking of a quick trip to Disney sometime next year because DD18 really wanted to go to Epcot again, but this probably seals the deal at only a Disneyland trip, or maybe we'll just skip it altogether. Florida is definitely too much of a pain these days.
Disneyland has this same kind of price structure. You want to go on more popular *days* not just seasons or holidays you pay more so choosing it over WDW isn’t necessarily going to save you money.

I sincerely doubt that this was done to spread out attendance so that it evens out throughout the year. People will still crowd the parks during the holidays and school vacations because that's the time that they can go. It's just a way to make more money.

If they were truly interested in controlling crowd size, they would lower their capacity limits for every day. They don't. They could sell an "after 2 PM" or "after 5 PM" ticket or multi-day pass at an attractive price to get people to arrive later. They don't.

The new setup will not allow you to purchase a 4-day ticket and use it over a 14-day period unless you pony up even more money to expand its expiration date. A 4-day ticket will now expire on the 7th day following its first day of use. How does this act to reduce crowds? It doesn't. It just forces guests to buy two higher-priced tickets instead if a cruiser wants to bookend a visit to the parks on either side of sailing. Or for the guest who may stay for two weeks but only visits the parks for 5 of those days.

It doesn't provide flexibility, spread attendance out to slower periods or make vacation planning easier. As a famous television judge is known to say, "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining."
:sad: all of this is true....:scared:

Disney had length of stay tickets in the early 2000's for resort guests... I am not sure if they sold different to guests not staying on property but I remember clearly you check on this date and your ticket started and you checked out your ticket ended... and as I recall you had to buy the number of days equal to the package. I remember at least 2 years of doing this... at some point in I believe 04 they reintroduced non expiring for a fee and the ticket system as it was before they did away with non expiring a few years ago... It did not work out in the past and hopefully this time the same but this has even more limitations as pricing changes... I miss the days of just buying a ticket and they never expired period... although the magic your way had some good benefits like than pleasure island options which meant you did not have to pay every time you entered at the gate.

Looking more and more like my next family trip might be the last one for quite awhile. I am retiring in 2020 and am planning a trip for April school vacation week to celebrate with my DD, DSIL and 2 DDs. School system no longer allows the kids to be taken out of school for 5 days or they will be considered "truant" so April with higher airfare and ticket prices is our best option. The kids want to experience: FOP, SDD and SWGE and I want to make that happen for them.

A neighbor went on an NCL cruise to Bermuda this summer with his grand kids and had a wonderful time, that will likely be our next family vaca after WDW. We live outside Boston so no airfare just an Uber to the dock.

Our local MLB team tried "dynamic pricing" which sounds like what Disney is proposing. They charged more for games against certain teams, etc. I don't think it went over very well.

Probably what Disney really needs is equal competition. I guess Universal Studios is as close to that as possible. I know it is not going to happen but it is what drives prices down and quality up. I don't mind the ticket prices as much because you really get a lot of entertainment for for $60-$100/day. The cost to stay onsite is what is getting crazy.

Probably what Disney really needs is equal competition. I guess Universal Studios is as close to that as possible. I know it is not going to happen but it is what drives prices down and quality up. I don't mind the ticket prices as much because you really get a lot of entertainment for for $60-$100/day. The cost to stay onsite is what is getting crazy.
Yeah, don’t see that happening. Disney has a ton of competition with cruises and Disney Cruise has raised prices 10%+ for the last six years.

I agree but I’m not sure the $20 difference (at least that’s what I’ve read) is going to deter very many people.
Eh, keep in mind it's not $20 ... it's $20 for each family member, which can add up fast.

Makes me wish I had hoard those no-expiration 10 day tix from couple years ago.
I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize they were going to discontinue those no-expiration tix. I would've stocked up -- and it wouldn't have been a bad deal for Disney 'cause they would've been able to "hold onto my money" for years before being required to service my ticket.

Haven’t been here in a bit, but planning on Spring 2019. If we buy tickets before 10/16, can we get the old price/structure?

This probably means they’ll hold off on releasing discounts for winter (jan/feb) till they release this new ticket pricing system

Makes me wish I had hoard those no-expiration 10 day tix from couple years ago.
I did, but it is making me nervous even trying to use them.

I think Disney just ran out of excuses saying they are raising ticket prices, they are just using a different marketing strategy and give it a different name for raising ticket prices.

I went ahead and ordered our tickets for next March. We only need 1 day for 5 people. Hopefully we save a little over waiting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter